• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penny-Arcade: "Marketers of the Avenger Controller are thieves and liars".

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
And this is exactly why everyone needs to keep reminding this guy that he's an asshole... Don't let up because that would be too easy on him, we actually have a chance to teach someone a lesson here, with the focused power of internet rage just maybe maybe maybe he won't be able to weasel his way out this time.

It would be great if it were that simple but I don't think it is. Having dozens or hundreds of people harass him for being a dick to two people will turn him into the victim, not the violator. He's more likely to conclude "Fuck tha haterz" than take an honest look inside himself and have an epiphany. Also, the "reminders that he's an asshole" would need to take a certain tone to be effective and not dismissed out of hand. They certainly won't.

I maintain that forcing him to change by ruining his economic prospects, which is what has already been done, is the best route.

If the guy is just an asshole by nature, then his personal life will dole out the punishments for that and the internet really needn't get involved.

Zomba13

Don't you have anything better to do with your life? It's the middle of the holidays and your highpoint of the season is sending threats to his wfe/kid.

Don't you have anything better to do with your life? It's the middle of the holidays and your highpoint of the season is getting mad at people angry at a douche.

Ketch

It would be great if it were that simple but I don't think it is. Having dozens or hundreds of people harass him for being a dick to two people will turn him into the victim, not the violator. He's more likely to conclude "Fuck tha haterz" than take an honest look inside himself and have an epiphany. Also, the "reminders that he's an asshole" would need to take a certain tone to be effective and not dismissed out of hand. They certainly won't.

I maintain that forcing him to change by ruining his economic prospects, which is what has already been done, is the best route.

Yea maybe we just need to agree to disagree. I see your point, but I just don't think the financial/economic punishment is more effective then the world telling him his a douche over and over until he gets it.

If the guy is just an asshole by nature, then his personal life will dole out the punishments for that and the internet really needn't get involved.

And just to keep this discussion going a little longer (and to be incredible cheesy). In today's cyber lifestyle what is your personal life if not twitter, facebook, emails and internet?

guys Im one person and you dont even know me .... Im a gamer just like you , 1 bad experience and im an ass comeon ... no one else ever got pissed before look at all the shit your writing and I didn't do anything to you , im sure you all have talked unkind to people other than me in your life.

Wow. This guy just doesn't understand at all what he did.

ONCE AGAIN:

How do these people have jobs and I - a dude with a damn BACHELOR'S DEGREE - don't?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Yea maybe we just need to agree to disagree. I see your point, but I just don't think the financial/economic punishment is more effective then the world telling him his a douche over and over until he gets it.

Agree to disagree then. :)

And just to keep this discussion going a little longer (and to be incredible cheesy). In today's cyber lifestyle what is your personal life if not twitter, facebook, emails and internet?

When I said personal life I meant his in-person interactions with other humans, but you're right that the lines are blurring. In either setting, if he's an asshole, people should be assholes back. I just don't think we need a coalition of anonymous behavior-adjustors participating in that. Because the matter at hand is a business matter, the public nature of his disgrace seems appropriate to me.

Seriously. He's probably filthy rich, too.

He knows the mayor of the bank.

Wow. This guy just doesn't understand at all what he did.

ONCE AGAIN:

How do these people have jobs and I - a dude with a damn BACHELOR'S DEGREE - don't?

I'm 99% sure it's his own crappy little business, so it's not like he needed to get hired.

God knows how he got any clients though.

mavs

EDIT: Funny that he says he was "caught on a bad day" but the e-mail correspondence went on for a week.

There's multiple people who talked to him since the beginning of this year, and he's been an asshole to all of them. It just took this long until he won the beatdown lottery.

Cruzader

Banned
- http://ingame.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2...stened-gaming-rep-responds-to-internet-infamy

The fuck? Do we know what any of his other clients are? I never ever want to do business with them. If they laugh about it instead of firing his horribly inept arse then they are exactly the type of people who don't give a fuck about their customers that I never want to ever deal with.

EDIT: Wow, fucking Paul is like, master douche. He goes on to complain about how unprofessional Mike/Gabe is. Like he's one to fucking talk. Gabe's 'unprofessional' behaviour was in direct response to Paul's.
Oh wtf? He's going on about how he doesn't show respect to people who insult him and how they don't deserve respect. Is this guy for real? Is he that much of an idiot douche not to realise everything he is saying he dislikes is him?
The interview is really with him right? Not a fake? It reads like a fake. No one is that much of a dense douche.

EDIT2: I also think the worst people in the world ever to have lived are the people who pop into threds with replies liek 'Oh, this is still going on? Let it die.'. They are the fucking worst. Popping into discussions to comment that something is still going and letting people know they don't care but they care that we know they don't care.

Wow he has the balls to lie and lie and lie x infinity.

I hope that he gets a beating in real life. Didnt Gabe state who he was in a reply and Paul was like "so what? I got cash and connections! You cant take my booth away! LOL F YOU!" Then Gabe proceeded to ban him. Why does he keep being an asshole to people/the internet's face?

Zomba13

Also, it's easy to see where the death threats are coming from (I mean, the actual place, not like a logical thing).

Youtube.

I just looked at that bike vid and one of the first comments I saw was wishing his house burned down.
People need to realise though, that these are youtube comments. There are death threats there for the families of game devs that do something that piss people off. Some of these type of people may also be the type to email or call him. They are also not the majority of people annoyed with Paul nor are they in any way justified. The people doing so are sick and twisted and gone too far.

Zomba13

If that's the neighborhood he lives in, this guy is probably loaded.

I kinda find it funny he made a vid moaning about the traffic behind his house (threating legal action or something in the description) then goes on to play about on his noisy bike in the street. (I am assuming he is the type to just ride around the street on it for fun. Had some people here that did that a few times a week. Drove me fucking nuts)

You guys are cyber stalkers for watching the youtube videos he publicly posted. Please stop victimizing him. WHEN WILL YOU STOP ???

You are just as bad as he is...smh

Also, it's easy to see where the death threats are coming from (I mean, the actual place, not like a logical thing).

Youtube.

I just looked at that bike vid and one of the first comments I saw was wishing his house burned down.
People need to realise though, that these are youtube comments. There are death threats there for the families of game devs that do something that piss people off. Some of these type of people may also be the type to email or call him. They are also not the majority of people annoyed with Paul nor are they in any way justified. The people doing so are sick and twisted and gone too far.

Youtube is one of the worst user communities out there. The only people that post there are homophobic, racist, and dumb teenagers.

Sometimes, I'm not that big of a fan of the internet. But things like this makes me love it again. Please, destroy this douchebags life. What a complete asshat.

I hate to be a broken record here, but who has "taken things further", and in what form? People keep stating this as if it's happened.

It hasn't.

Keep going ... maybe after a while they 'll understand if they read it enough times ...

Heck i'm quoting you to spread the word because it's tiring to see the same bad arguments over and over in this thread.

remnant

Banned
Why not? You fuck up, you get punished... you learn something. Right? Isn't that exactly how it works?

He lost one client and is getting harassed online. The only lesson to take from this is keep your shit private.

If people targeted his other clients, maybe you guys would have a point. However making mocking videos on youtube? Trolling his twitter? Oh yeah what a powerful statement.

itsgreen

while the guy DID make a blunder, the people harassing his family and making death threats are BEYOND worse

A blunder is a typo in a press release or CC'ing instead of BCC'ing. This is just...wow...

Don't think anyone disagrees with the fact that those people are going too far.

Still Paul deserves everything that's coming to him. His comments in that interview proved it once more.

while the guy DID make a blunder, the people harassing his family and making death threats are BEYOND worse

Can we really call YouTube comments about burning down his house a death threat? Really? Is anyone worried it will actually happen?

If the Mafia is making a death threat, it's credible. If the death threat is made by a 13 year-old living in Toledo, it's not.

element

The thing I don't understand is he got an email from an @penny-arcade.com address and he didn't know who is was or even that it had an association to PAX? This guy is just just kills me.

mik83kuu

Banned
All these apologists are the real joke here. I stopped being interested in Paul and now my entertaining is coming from gaffers :) Keep up the good work, guys!

jaxword

I think you overestimate how many of us go to the PA forums. I've been a gaffer since like 98 and have only used the PA forums once around PAX.

Besides, isn't Tycho a staunch Atheist? How would that work if Gabe lost his shit all the time?

They talk about it in the comics and blogposts that Tycho and Gabe have come to a mutual agreement not to argue about religion anymore since it would just tax their friendship and partnership.

Zomba13

He lost one client and is getting harassed online. The only lesson to take from this is keep your shit private.

If people targeted his other clients, maybe you guys would have a point. However making mocking videos on youtube? Trolling his twitter? Oh yeah what a powerful statement.

So... we should be attacking his other (lol) clients and not him? Why? They haven't done anything (if they even exist).

citationneeded.jpg
Youtube.

I honestly believe all the people moaning about supposed Death threats etc against the family and him are talking about things that come from there. I also believe they shouldn't be taken seriously as it's fucking youtube and you can find that shit on just about every video on the site.

So... we should be attacking his other (lol) clients and not him? Why? They haven't done anything (if they even exist).

Youtube.

I honestly believe all the people moaning about supposed Death threats etc against the family and him are talking about things that come from there. I also believe they shouldn't be taken seriously as it's fucking youtube and you can find that shit on just about every video on the site.

:lol We're going by random youtube comments?

Zomba13

:lol We're going by random youtube comments?

I assume so. The only place, other than the people saying 'think of his wife (who there is evidence that Paul hit or something right) and baby who are getting death threats', that I have seen detah threats on are youtube vids.

I saw a looot of tweets about this thing and how much of an idiot/douche/jurk Paul was but not one death threat (at least not one that used @OceanMarketting/Stratagy).

element

I don't feel bad for anyone finding personal information on him because he didn't set himself to protect himself. He mixed his professional company messaging with personal opinions and rants on the same accounts.
His youtube account has work and personal videos.
His twitter account promotes products, but also has links to download leaks albums.

Even replied to emails with more personal account (angrypimp? WTF?), which led to even more scandal.

He is just not very smart.

remnant

Banned

Yeah sure attack.....or just god forbid tell them what is happening and encourage them to move to someone else. If you don't know how to do that there is an OT thread about GoDaddy. Might be enlightening.

I just don't see how trolling on the internet is a productivity use of time. If it was just a normal guy it would be seen as stupid trolling, but now it's trolling for supposed "justice" so it's no longer stupid?

Utako

Banned
It's quite scary how the internet can destoy someone's life in the blink of an eye. Not saying he did / didn't have it coming but, HoooooLeeeeeee Sheeet.

Hard lesson to learn.
Sometimes people who do badly at their job get fired.

Being that public opinion is the one metric of success for a PR professional, I think you are exaggerating.

Zomba13

Yeah sure attack.....or just god forbid tell them what is happening and encourage them to move to someone else. If you don't know how to do that there is an OT thread about GoDaddy. Might be enlightening.

I just don't see how trolling on the internet is a productivity use of time. If it was just a normal guy it would be seen as stupid trolling, but now it's trolling for supposed "justice" so it's no longer stupid?

If he was a normal guy he wouldn't have been so rude and horrible at his job many times (at least 3 times. This one, the NatesNetwork one and there was a post on some website thing posted earlier). It's just this time someone got pissed off at being treated like crap and contacted big sites. This guy is being made an example off, while he needs to learn the lesson (don't be a fucking dick to people. Especially when your job is supposed to be providing them with a service) it's also an example for all the other bad Customer Service and PR reps. They see this and should be thinking 'maybe I should be nicer/less rude to the customers'.
Same with the GoDaddy thing. They publicly supported a very bad (or at least very badly worded) piece of legislation and they lost a LOT of business because of that and were made an example of.

People need to not be dicks and be nicer to people, if people can see that they were a dick and be sorry for it and change then awesome :D
If they are only sorry they got caught/were a dick to someone who could do damage to them and show no signs of actually being sorry to the person he was rude to (he only seemed to care about Mike/Gabe in the interview thing) then I think he deserves to be trolled a while longer, also showing that people don't like dicks who say sorry but are only sorry they got caught and won't change.

Cruzader

Banned
I don't feel bad for anyone finding personal information on him because he didn't set himself to protect himself. He mixed his professional company messaging with personal opinions and rants on the same accounts.
His youtube account has work and personal videos.
His twitter account promotes products, but also has links to download leaks albums.

Even replied to emails with more personal account (angrypimp? WTF?), which led to even more scandal.

He is just not very smart.
Lol true that.

Also he is a pirate. Gaffers still defending him?

Lol true that.

Also he is a pirate. Gaffers still defending him?

He can pirate, impersonate other people in emails to the media, beat his wife, plagiarize his entire website, treat people like shit, but that's ok. I bet if he made an "uncharted/halo suck" thread on gaf though, we'd see some true hate.

Wow, kinda glad I've been away from the thread all day. I guess it's hard to see this thread winding down in any other way.

Hey I'm cool with being called out as being "just as bad" as this asshole for participating in the initial rush of "wow this guy's private information is sprawled all over the internet." I don't agree, but if I think you guys are kinda outta line for telling everyone else it's not okay for us to keep trashing this guy - somehow elevating YOU to the sort of authority you seem to be decrying - that's my deal, just as your perception of your moral authority is your deal. I can't be bothered to try and change your mind, just as I am completely indifferent to your manufactured outrage. It isn't going to move me in any way.

So that's those people. But let's talk about these constant references to escalation. What the hell are you people talking about? WHO has escalated this? I can find no credible information suggesting that this has been taken to an inappropriate extreme over the past day. Am I missing something?

You know who else likes to engage in these arguments, these suggestions of further wrongdoing visited upon an unfortunate pariah without any actual evidence to suggest that it's happening? Fox News. So yeah, okay, I'll be a bully like Paul, but if you're off on some self-righteous tangent based on the word of this lying liar who lies as easily as he breathes, or perhaps youtube comments (death threats in youtube comment threads?? NO WAY), welcome to Fox News territory. That's you. If there were any serious, credible threats on this guy or his family, the police would already be involved. That doesn't seem to be the case. Perhaps you should leave it to them to decide if an investigation into any such threats is warranted.

I'm done as this whole thing has gotten pretty stale, I just wanted to pop back in since there are so many accusations floating around about "detective-gaf," and I think I was one of the first to point out his facebook profile was public. I wouldn't want anyone thinking I was persuaded into some sense of shame or guilt because of everything that has transpired since then. I knew exactly what was going to happen and this guy deserves every fucking drop of it. Citation/point of reference: MSNBC interview. Do I care if he learns anything from it? Hell no, but I think it sets a great example for any other predatory asshat lurking around out there treating people in the same fashion.

That's all. Please return to your regularly scheduled, sycophantic "debate" on the fascinating mechanisms of internet justice. But maybe try to reign in the references to "THOSE PEOPLE" who have taken things "TOO FAR" unless you you are actually referring to specific, verifiable information suggesting this guy or his family have actually been placed in any kind of physical danger or exposed to any kind of real-world vandalism thanks to the internet machine. If your source is youtube comments, I just have to laugh.

Should anything actually happen to this guy, I will join you in decrying those responsible. But it's a fantasy. It hasn't happened and it's not going to.

scy

He can pirate, impersonate other people in emails to the media, beat his wife, plagiarize his entire website, treat people like shit, but that's ok. I bet if he made an "uncharted/halo suck" thread on gaf though, we'd see some true hate.

Wonder what his thoughts on tipping are.

I didn't know who that guy at Penny Arcade was. If I had known, I would have treated the situation a little better.

I really don't like this guy.

The only regret he has is that he talked shit to the wrong person, not that he shouldn't have been an ass in the first place.

Top Bottom