• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penny-Arcade: "Marketers of the Avenger Controller are thieves and liars".

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
new Gabe Update:

Wow, that escalated quickly! There is even a humerous web video! Kotaku has an article that covers how this whole Ocean Marketing thing is winding down. It seems Ocean Marketing is “out of business” and Paul is no longer representing the Avenger. A new PR guy has been brought in to try and right their sinking ship. I think it’s fair to try and separate Paul’s actions from the actual product. It’s very possible that he was simply the marketing guy here but I’ve also heard that he is at least a part owner in N-control the company that makes the Avenger. I’ll be very curious see how this all shakes out.

I don’t know if anyone is actually attacking Paul’s wife and kid. Honestly I don’t even know if he has a wife and kid. Maybe the mayor of Boston is his wife? Anyway, If they are real, none of this is their fault and I think we can all agree that they should be left alone.

The comic today is 100% true. I was grinning all night as Paul sent me each new email. I am absolutely an unapologetic asshole, but I try as best I can to be your asshole.

Hmm, that didn’t come out quite right.

-Gabe out

Meanwhile in Boston, many Bostonians are scratching their head (myself included) and hoping that the rest of the world doesn't lump us in with this guy on some bad apple/bunch mentality.

remnant

Banned
I cannot fathom how someone goes through all this shit and doesn't learn anything out of it? He's still basically calling Mike a bully and saying that if he had known he was talking to a celebrity, he would have done things differently.

I hope he loses so much more than one client because I really, really want him to learn something from this.

How about you move the fuck on?

Zomba13

As I post this I'm only on page 39 (50 ppp, have kept up to date since this morning)

It baffles me how much shit some posters (a small amount) are giving Gabe/Mike for publicising this. Yeah, you could be critical of his follow-up post about willing to see everything burn to take him down or whatever but I'm assuming (assuming mind you) that he was maybe a bit annoyed/fired up so maybe a bit over passionate when writing that.

Apart from that though people seriously don't think bad shit like this should be made available publicly? Do they think it's ok if it happens but not reported? Or do they think it's bad but worse that people are finding out that it's bad and that the dude doing the bad stuff is getting what's coming to him?

Just baffles my small mind. Then again, I quite like the whole 'Treat others as you expect to be treated' thing. I've lived my life by that (being nice to people etc, just like I want people to be nice to me). It was like, one of the first things taught to me so when I see people being dicks to other people for no reason (I understand getting mad at people who are dicks to you and then being dicks back) then I'm quite happy when they get whatever shit that's coming to them. Of course, his family doesn't deserve any of this (maybe the Wife a little if she knows about this and an active part in his 'company') but from what I've seen nothing has happened to them at all. People just found out he has a family via his very open and public Facebook (which again, isn't anyone's fault but his own).

Aaaanyway. Time to read the rest of this thread. I quite like when dicks are exposed to the world and people band together to point out how much of a dick that dick is. (I don't mean penises)

ZAK

I wish there were no "big names" attached to this. Think about what happened: he had some power over a customer and he used it to be an asshole. Then someone with even more power comes along and shits all over him. What is the lesson learned here? It still looks like being influential is all that counts.

If this were only posted on reddit or something, where the harassment is generated entirely by the public, I think it would work much better. I'm less frightened by mobs than by mobs which can be directed by an individual. Plus, the moral seems less corrupted. It shows that what happened is wrong and everyone thinks so; not that what happened is wrong according to some guy who has lots of loyal followers.

I'm not putting the whole blame on "the PA crew" or anything like that; I'm just talking about the appearance of it.

I wish there were no "big names" attached to this. Think about what happened: he had some power over a customer and he used it to be an asshole. Then someone with even more power comes along and shits all over him. What is the lesson learned here? It still looks like being influential is all that counts.

If this were only posted on reddit or something, where the harassment is generated entirely by the public, I think it would work much better. I'm less frightened by mobs than by mobs which can be directed by an individual. Plus, the moral seems less corrupted. It shows that what happened is wrong and everyone thinks so; not that what happened is wrong according to some guy who has lots of loyal followers.

I'm not putting the whole blame on "the PA crew" or anything like that; I'm just talking about the appearance of it.

All PA did was accelerate the snowballing of crowdsourced vengeance that otherwise would have taken a few days or a week on reddit.

Axion22

Meanwhile in Boston, many Bostonians are scratching their head (myself included) and hoping that the rest of the world doesn't lump us in with this guy on some bad apple/bunch mentality.

I just assume all the best Bostonians stay home. We've only got clones of Paul running around here.

spwolf

Without the douche, there is no mob. Without the mob, he's still an asshole and fucking with customers. Take your pick

all i am saying this guy is irrelevant idiot. He conned his way into some PR contract, he is obviously not fit for the job. Just some random idiot. He is not important. Dime a dozen.

remnant

Banned

Typical internet stupidity

Apart from that though people seriously don't think bad shit like this should be made available publicly? Do they think it's ok if it happens but not reported? Or do they think it's bad but worse that people are finding out that it's bad and that the dude doing the bad stuff is getting what's coming to him?
What exactly is coming to him? He lost a client, lost money and has his name ruined. What more exactly needs to happen?

zethren

Banned
I like how the thread blew up only when the title was changed to have Penny-Arcade mentioned.

There were probably about three threads concerning this topic (this one included) when this all started, and the mods combined them. In doing so, they kept the PA title. I think the blow up can be attributed more to the merging of three threads than a title change.

You're from Boston, do you know this guy? He's a pretty big deal there I hear.

Man he knows that guy at the BCEC that runs the door. Like, all of the doors. Plural. Mega-influence, there. He also knows the mayor, though I was unable to glean whether or not he's from Little Italy or he knows someone from Little Italy, rather the North End, as it's referred to by many Bostonians.

Better watch my commute through Haymarket on my way to the train today though. Apparently I should watch what I say, and all that.

Edit:

I don't think Boston will ever recover from this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Boston_bomb_scare

Nor should we. That was hilariously embarrassing.

spwolf

hey, he knows the guy that works at doors of some club... he is important Bostonian, how come you dont know him? Are you not important?

all i am saying this guy is irrelevant idiot. He conned his way into some PR contract, he is obviously not fit for the job. Just some random idiot. He is not important. Dime a dozen.

Well, I think stories like this really deserve to be exposed. He acted this way because he didn't care and didn't feel there was any negative consequence for his actions. Can people take things too far? hell yes! I don't think that makes the backlash against him worse than he was but it's up to each person trying to 'take action' against him to behave the way they think he should be behaving.

There were probably about three threads concerning this topic (this one included) when this all started, and the mods combined them. In doing so, they kept the PA title. I think the blow up can be attributed more to the merging of three threads than a title change.
Ah, wasn't aware.

As big a jerk as this guy was this was definitely overblown and ridiculous. If the internet put so much passion towards helping people it could be a great thing.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
No, the appropriate result is he learns that being an asshole is bad and that he should stop acting that way. It doesn't matter if he ends up homeless alone on the streets with no food/water/clothing if he's still talking shit to strangers and acting like he's A #1 Duke of New York then he still hasn't learned anything and deserves continued internet justice.

I don't think we actually disagree on this. I think it's good that his behavior was made public and his reputation was ruined. Whether he learns something and personally changes is not as important to me as whether other people stop doing business with him. That's what will really teach him a lesson and change his behavior, if anything can. Harassing him further privately rather than publicly doesn't serve anyone.

I'm primarily supportive of the idea that the consequences of his actions will deter his shitty behavior in the future. I'm not as supportive of him getting mean emails from wingnuts because "he deserves it." I mean, who's to say how long he should be privately harassed, if that's indeed a legitimate response to his actions.

If he continues to treat people badly and that once again becomes public knowledge, then people should continue to publicly shit on him. But if we don't have evidence of that, personal attacks are no longer necessary, if they ever were.

Kinda childish for Mike to air his laundry on the internet like that but yeah, the controller guy is unreal for responding that way. What a great big mess.

remnant

Banned
For him to learn his fucking lesson

And we would know this when? When he admits he shouldn't fuck with PAX guys?

This whole concept that the internet community taking this up as a moral issue is stupid.

1. He needs to learn the lesson: Don't be an asshole.

2. He needs to stop being an asshole.

3. He needs to apologize for being an asshole.

And he is going to learn this by everyone being an asshole to him? That's not really how this works.

Unless you plan on harassing this dude for a long fucking time.

Axion22

And we would know this when? When he admits he shouldn't fuck with PAX guys?

This whole concept that the internet community taking this up as a moral issue is stupid.

And he is going to learn this by everyone being an asshole to him? That's not really how this works.

Unless you plan on harassing this dude for a long fucking time.

People want an apology. He hasn't given a legitimate one yet.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
No, the appropriate result is he learns that being an asshole is bad and that he should stop acting that way. It doesn't matter if he ends up homeless alone on the streets with no food/water/clothing if he's still talking shit to strangers and acting like he's A #1 Duke of New York then he still hasn't learned anything and deserves continued internet justice.
Ah, I see. We're approaching this from different angles. You think its about teaching him some kind of "lesson"

He needs to be brought low for his hubris.

The internet is merely fulfilling a role the ancient gods used to serve in.

Don't you have anything better to do with your life? It's the middle of the holidays and your highpoint of the season is sending threats to his wfe/kid.

You really think I'd stoop so low?

I'm actually in a bush outside his house, I'm posting this from an iPad while stealing his wifi.

Ketch

I don't think we actually disagree on this. I think it's good that his behavior was made public and his reputation was ruined. Whether he learns something and personally changes is not as important to me as whether other people stop doing business with him. That's what will really teach him a lesson and change his behavior, if anything can. Harassing him further privately rather than publicly doesn't serve anyone.

I'm primarily supportive of the idea that the consequences of his actions will deter his shitty behavior in the future. I'm not as supportive of him getting mean emails from wingnuts because "he deserves it." I mean, who's to say how long he should be privately harassed, if that's indeed a legitimate response to his actions.

If he continues to treat people badly and that once again becomes public knowledge, then people should continue to publicly shit on him. But if we don't have evidence of that, personal attacks are no longer necessary, if they ever were.

I don't think we're disagreeing either (but then again I know the mayor of boston). I just think we're viewing the "punishment" from two different angles.

I could really care less if he ever lost a cent IF he had just come out and said "Yea, I was being a dick. I'm sorry I shouldn't do that, I won't do that anymore." I don't think anything should stop until that happens.... which will probably never happen so I say let the internet rage on.

Edit: He has to actually stop being an asshole too... just saying it out loud doesn't count.

Azih

1. Dude shouldn't have treated his customer that way

2. When contacted by someone with an email ending with @penny-arcade.com about how poorly he's treating his customer. Dude should have backed off and promised to make it up to his customer.

2A. Related to above. Dude should freaking know who runs PAX and Penny Arcade seeing as he is in the business of marketing video game accessories.

3. Having failed at points 1 and 2 dude should have proceeded to abjectly and completely apologise TO THE CUSTOMER. AND THEN to all the customers that did not get the controllers they paid for by the time they were promised. Issue a complete and total Mea Culpa, ask the controller company to give refunds to however asks for them, ask them to give a deep discount for all of them, pay for it out of his own pocket if he has to and humbly ask everyone to give the controller another chance. NOT try to turn this into some bullshit 15 minutes of fame thing.

He's making it worse on himself at every step. It's up to him to defuse the situation and the dude seems to have no idea how to do it.

scy

Don't you have anything better to do with your life? It's the middle of the holidays and your highpoint of the season is sending threats to his wfe/kid.

Wait, who here has been threatening his wife and kid?

Also, I'm at work so fuck your holidays :(

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I don't think we're disagreeing either (but then again I know the mayor of boston). I just think we're viewing the "punishment" from two different angles.

I could really care less if he ever lost a cent IF he had just come out and said "Yea, I was being a dick. I'm sorry I shouldn't do that, I won't do that anymore." I don't think anything should stop until that happens.... which will probably never happen so I say let the internet rage on.

Edit: He has to actually stop being an asshole too... just saying it out loud doesn't count.

If all that matters is whether he says those words (with no way to tell if he's sincere) and not whether he actually changes his behavior (i.e. learns something) then I don't see the point of continuing to rail against him.

And even if he does change his behavior, we're unlikely to find out. People who behave well don't start shitstorms like this and aren't discussed. We'll have no way of knowing, based solely on the lack of negative news about him, whether he became a better person or just failed out of his chosen career. Basically what I'm saying is there's no clear criterion for when the harassment would no longer be deserved.

ZAK

All PA did was accelerate the snowballing of crowdsourced vengeance that otherwise would have taken a few days or a week on reddit.
Great, did I say I was blaming PA? No, I said the opposite. The outcome wouldn't have changed much if Gabe didn't write anything about it. Glad we agree on that. I'm saying I would prefer it if he hadn't, since then the same thing would happen AND there would be no way to see it as a bully being clobbered by an even bigger bully.

Ketch

Ah, I see. We're approaching this from different angles. You think its about teaching him some kind of "lesson"

Isn't it? If it was just about revenge would anyone besides primary parties involved care? He didn't do anything to me.... I thought we were all just trying to make the world a better place. Curse my hippy parents.

Why not? You fuck up, you get punished... you learn something. Right? Isn't that exactly how it works?

I used to download that podcast on a regular basis.

Why?

Okay. I'll stop with the Jesse Thorn Hate now.

The interview with Paul was a lulz-fest. I like how he compliments Mike but then goes on to bash him.

I've said it once, it bears repeating: I don't know how these people get hired.

scy

My understanding of the situation is that Dave sent it to various places like Kotaku, reddit, Penny-Arcade, etc. and PA was just the first to jump in on it. I like to think this probably would have been the result anyway, hence my confusion at the amount of flak thrown to the guys at PA, even without their involvement.

But, yeah, we really don't know. Would have been a lot more "meaningful" had it just been the internet striking back without the whole "Sorry I offended someone famous" angle there.

Top Bottom