• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penny-Arcade: "Marketers of the Avenger Controller are thieves and liars".

i don't know what's funnier, pretending to be someone else by using an e-mail address that practically has your name in it, or using an email address that practically has your name in it when you panic about using steroids.

kotaku probably just googled said e-mail address to try and verify it was really him. no reason they can't share that crap with the internet... and i don't see how that isn't evidence enough to turn the cops on him.

again... not feeling like he's been stalked illegally on that one. you don't have to know for a fact that someone is a drug taker in order to report them for suspected drug use, you just have to have reasonable suspicion.

we don't have that with this?

Game getting canceled due to poor sales (and it's only getting revived after firesale prices on XBLA/PSN/Steam, admit it) != controller getting delayed with no answer of a new updated time-table of arrival. Bzzzt. Sorry, you fail. Try again.

No, I don't fail. I'm talking about the attitude of both parties.

Don't quiote me on this because I fail to use the search criterias properly. But I can remember a poster here saying that he shouldve gotten something that he paid for but he never did because the next installment was cancelled.

In other words, maybe not the best conductor for this story.

Kosh

i don't know what's funnier, pretending to be someone else by using an e-mail address that practically has your name in it, or using an email address that practically has your name in it when you panic about using steroids.

kotaku probably just googled said e-mail address to try and verify it was really him. no reason they can't share that crap with the internet... and i don't see how that isn't evidence enough to turn the cops on him.

again... not feeling like he's been stalked illegally on that one. you don't have to know for a fact that someone is a drug taker in order to report them for suspected drug use, you just have to have reasonable suspicion.

we don't have that with this?

From the Kotaku page, the picture shows his post was made in 2007. I could imagine the report went something like this.

Police: Hello, this is the police department.

Internet harasser: Yes, I'd like to report a suspected drug user.

Police: Did you see this person using drugs.

Internet harasser: No, I saw a post he made on a steroid forum in 2007.

Police: lol <hangs up>

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I must balance the animosity of this thread by suddenly attacking the other party over something completely irrelevant from years ago, because this grown skeezball of a man cannot defend himself and I must bring balance to the force!!

white-knight-image.png

From the Kotaku page, the picture shows his post was made in 2007. I could imagine the report went something like this.

Pretty much

a.wd

oh GAF, I thought the carnival of stupid level of awesome threads were behind us, but here we are again.

Excellent work all around and a mighty smackdown and great example for all of how the internet is not to be used for business.

MC Safety

I don't think is this actually happening.

The extent to which the Internet may be prosecuting this guy is secondary, although I am sure to dismiss it entirely is disingenuous.

Do you understand where someone would take exception to the philosophy motivating Internet vigilantism? Especially in this case, which seems to have been resolved.

i'm sure it probably did. but i'm not the one saying that reporting him to the cops for suspected drug use is crossing a line and is horrible and should never ever be done, not to poor bad day Paul.

you don't need hard evidence to report someone for drug use, just reasonable suspicion. so i don't see how it's crossed any line. i don't think anything will come of it, but even if it does i'll just think that's funny.

you don't have to be a first hand witness to report someone for suspected drug use. lets move away from the nonsense idea that someone claiming to have used drugs isn't reasonable suspicion.

spirity

My god, you're like a bunch of beasts, baying for blood. At what point will you be happy. When Paul is DEAD?? When his sweet baby child is SLAUGHTERED? Have you got no heart at all? So the guy made a mistake. So what. Leave him alone. Paul is probably a nice guy just a bit confused.

I am horrified and disgusted by you all. Some of you frighten me, the way you're so cruelly hounding him by googling stuff. When will the cycle of depravity end.

The extent to which the Internet may be prosecuting this guy is secondary, although I am sure to dismiss it entirely is disingenuous.

Do you understand where someone would take exception to the philosophy motivating Internet vigilantism? Especially in this case, which seems to have been resolved.
I meant, I don't think anyone here is doing this. We're just talking about it.

Roto13

Penny-arcade.... Isnt that a webcomic that had an episodic game that was cancelled in the third chapter over a year ago (recently revived somehow)and I remember that some at GAF were pretty disappointed about it because the way they handled it (i believe some paid for the full thing that would bring some sort of comic or artbook and never delivered and stuff). pretty distant stuff I can only vaguely remember.

So aside from the stupidity of some of the answers from the other dude, we're talking about people that gave their characters for a game then royally screwed the fans for over a year, fans who waited the next PAA game as much as they waited for a controller. And they publish e-mails that are supposed to be private between two (or three) parties.

Really?

Really?

My god, you're like a bunch of beasts, baying for blood. At what point will you be happy. When Paul is DEAD?? When his sweet baby child is SLAUGHTERED? Have you got no heart at all? So the guy made a mistake. So what. Leave him alone. Paul is probably a nice guy just a bit confused.

I am horrified and disgusted by you all. Some of you frighten me, the way you're so cruelly hounding him by googling stuff. When will the cycle of depravity end.

Are you going to be doing this all week? :p

I believe that this was PA intention all along. When you make it public, and I mean internet public, in your own territory, you're just stirring your fanbase to finish the other dude off using a massive cooperation to destroy him.

I don't believe they were trying to warn people, honestly.

Other than that, people acting tough over the internet. "I know people", "you aint havin booth", "youre gonna be in PA tomorrow". Man, first grader escalating argument lol.

Roto, as I said I read form someone here that he bought something related to PAA that would include a bonus. However, with the cancelation of the third installation, the premise was broken and thus he would not receive that certain thing. Wish I had the skills to find the post, but it essentially means they failed to deliver something you purchased so... yeah, I just think they may not be the best tellers of this kind of story.

scy

That post was from 2007, yes, but he also has a few recent posts there as well. So ... just saying.

And they publish e-mails that are supposed to be private between two (or three) parties.

He is told they are going to be put out for the world to see. He welcomes them to do so. Any claim that they're private is thrown out the window.

I was Googling around myself and it was pretty easy to get to with just his online handle (eBay account) and email address. Both he puts up for the world to see so ... really, it wasn't an investigation as much as it was a 5 second search.

Well, this is a start.

See, that's really all we're asking for in regards to the whole "STOP HARASSING FAMILY" side of the argument. I don't think anyone here was honestly saying they deserved it; it was always a, "Harassing his family is deplorable, but it hasn't happened so stop saying it has," sort of deal.

I believe that this was PA intention all along. When you make it public, and I mean internet public, in your own territory, you're just stirring your fanbase to finish the other dude off using a massive cooperation to destroy him.

Other than that, people acting tough over the internet. "I know people", "you aint havin booth", "youre gonna be in PA tomorrow". Man, first grader escalating argument lol.

wut

Roto, as I said I read form someone here that he bought something related to PAA that would include a bonus. However, with the cancelation of the third installation, the premise was broken and thus he would not receive that certain thing. Wish I had the skills to find the post, but it essentially means they failed to deliver something you purchased so... yeah, I just think they may not be the best tellers of this kind of story.
Well this is convincing.

scy

I believe that this was PA intention all along.

Kind of overlooks the fact that PA didn't start this. They were sought out to incite it, yes, but so were Kotaku, reddit, and so on.

Not quite the same thing :/

Oh please, don't make me explain everything. By posting a certain argument between two parties on your fanbase lair, in which the other party seems somewhat an evildoer, you're essentially dooming him to be internet prosecuted. Anyone using the internet as their workspace knows that much.

Oh hey, he did another interview. Pretty good questions, though they stray into the domestic violence and the steroid territory.

I love how he's still minimizing:

He got a little nippy at me. And then I just went off a little bit. I probably shouldn't have done it. My job isn't customer service &#8211; I'll tell you right now, I'm not a customer service person. You put me with a product, and you give it to me to sell, and I'll sell it. I don't do customer service. So, with everything that was going on [Note: Christoforo says he had a friend overdose recently, putting him on edge], and with him just snipping back at me, I snipped back at him.

What he did was forward the e-mail to Kotaku, and then he forwarded the e-mail to Penny Arcade. I didn't know who the dude was at Penny Arcade - I really didn't do anything wrong, and my reputation is ruined forever. There's nothing I can do to repair it. If you googled me on Sunday, you would have found nothing but good things about me.

scy

Oh please, don't make me explain everything. By posting a certain argument between two parties on your fanbase lair, in which the other party seems somewhat an evildoer, you're essentially dooming him to be internet prosecuted. Anyone using the internet as their workspace knows that much.

Right. Anyone using the Internet would know that. So when he's warned that it would be done, he told them to go through with it because, hey, they're just some random schmuck and his schmuck friend.

You're overlooking that entire part of him INVITING IT TO HAPPEN.

ElRenoRaven

Oh hey, he did another interview. Pretty good questions, though they stray into the domestic violence and the steroid territory.

Read all I needed to read right here.

I really didn't do anything wrong, and my reputation is ruined forever.

Almost right off the bat. Dumbshit still hasn't fucking learned. Goddamn at this point I want to reach through the net and slap him silly. He's simply not going to fucking learn.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

I'd say people are going a bit too far but Paul definitely doesn't come off as a nice guy at all. Everything is pointing to him being an egotistical asshole who had something like this coming.

So basically popular people cannot do things on the internet now. Good to know!

Jintor

My favourite paragraph

I don't know the mayor of Boston. But I do know a lot of people. I was born and raised there – my whole life. I can walk into any club that I want, anywhere I want, anywhere in the city, drinks are free, I don't have to wait in line, do anything I want. Because I have a lot of connections – the city itself is my roots. So, I probably have some connections that I could make a call, get me into the convention center if I wanted to attend the show, whether he wants me there or not. Doesn't make any difference – I could probably get in.

I fucking love how he backs down on the specifics of the Mayor of Boston thing, but he just won't shut up about the spirit of it. He knows people, man. He's got fucking connections.

alstein

I wish Gabe would apply this terror to bigger fish then just one marketing schmuck. Say what you will about the morality of this, but it's pretty damn effective, and one of the few ways to truly scare someone powerful.

I mean, what if he did this to some of the folks supporting SOPA, or some big-name lobbyists? Some good might happen.

I don't know the mayor of Boston. But I do know a lot of people. I was born and raised there – my whole life. I can walk into any club that I want, anywhere I want, anywhere in the city, drinks are free, I don't have to wait in line, do anything I want. Because I have a lot of connections – the city itself is my roots. So, I probably have some connections that I could make a call, get me into the convention center if I wanted to attend the show, whether he wants me there or not. Doesn't make any difference – I could probably get in
Hahaha never change Paul

spirity

I'd say people are going a bit too far but Paul definitely doesn't come off as a nice guy at all. Everything is pointing to him being an egotistical asshole who had something like this coming.

I know, I was just messing :)

Joking aside, and my poor troll-fu skills notwithstanding, there's been some real crazy shit said in this thread. I'm glad its coming to a close now however. I just hope people know how to recognise people like Paul in their real lives, and give them short shrift. As crazy as this whole incident was, people can learn something from it. I know people like Paul and they do not change, ever. If you do not know someone like that, then you will at some point in your life, I guarantee it. Do not tust them, or give them the benefit of the doubt.

he didnt "seem somewhat an evildooer"

the guy was an utter douchebag who shouldnt be working in customer service.

I wouldn't exactly say that the other parties did an exemplar use of diplomacy.

But yeah, that's why I said he looks like an evildoer in the conversation. Everyone can have a day he gets more sensible and answers less politely (and degrading in every answer).

However this is a case where someone who acted like a big fish was eaten by a bigger fish without knowing it. However, this whole bullying and lobbying is not mature either.

scy

I don't know the mayor of Boston. But I do know a lot of people. I was born and raised there – my whole life. I can walk into any club that I want, anywhere I want, anywhere in the city, drinks are free, I don't have to wait in line, do anything I want. Because I have a lot of connections – the city itself is my roots.

That doorman of the Convention Center must work in a lot of places.

The reason why I did that, just so you know, Brandon Leidel was fired by N-Control. He didn't fire N-Control, which he said in a statement at Kotaku which is 100% false. Brandon Leidel ripped off the company for $35,000. He was fired from the company for his actions.

Shit guys, this rabbit hole goes deeper...

Grecco

My favourite paragraph

I fucking love how he backs down on the specifics of the Mayor of Boston thing, but he just won't shut up about the spirit of it. He knows people, man. He's got fucking connections.

Yeah that paragraph is a gem. Especially his "i dont care if the creator of PA doesnt want me in his own convention, i can get in anyways".

Foothills

Banned
Hey defense force - in his new interview he doesn't mention his wife and kid being harassed. If that were happening to my wife and kid, I'd be losing my shit about it. But hey, it's not like he's a liar or anything.

He also tries to blow off impersonating that dude and LYING about it.

So pathetic. Keep defending him though.

Hey defense force - in his new interview he doesn't mention his wife and kid being harassed. If that were happening to my wife and kid, I'd be losing my shit about it. But hey, it's not like he's a liar or anything.

You may have missed this part, not that I believe it:

I was going through death threats, they were attacking my family, they were digging up dirt all over the internet on me – they were threatening my wife, my newborn baby boy is two years old, just really attacking me.

Grecco

I wouldn't exactly say that the other parties did an exemplar use of diplomacy.

But yeah, that's why I said he looks like an evildoer in the conversation. Everyone can have a day he gets more sensible and answers less politely (and degrading in every answer).

However this is a case where someone who acted like a big fish was eaten by a bigger fish without knowing it. However, this whole bullying and lobbying is not mature either.

The other party is a CONSUMER, the party paying the bills for the person who works in customer service.

Oh no, If that was directed to me, I don't have any kind of excuse for him getting so cocky and doing bad business that may mean a permanent ban from PAX and stuff. However I can be critic on the posture of the other parties involved. I thought the ban wouldve been enough of a lesson for all his crap talk to them. Now the internet knows, and people want blood.

i'm sure it probably did. but i'm not the one saying that reporting him to the cops for suspected drug use is crossing a line and is horrible and should never ever be done, not to poor bad day Paul.

you don't need hard evidence to report someone for drug use, just reasonable suspicion. so i don't see how it's crossed any line. i don't think anything will come of it, but even if it does i'll just think that's funny.

you don't have to be a first hand witness to report someone for suspected drug use. lets move away from the nonsense idea that someone claiming to have used drugs isn't reasonable suspicion.

It is when you trawl through forums and try and stick him with stuff years old, of questionable credibility, and only to pile misery on some who's been publicly humiliated.

I'm not supporting him at all, this incident is just the latest example of lonely, bitter morons who don't know when to hang up the towel. I thought it was apt he lost his job and got publicly called for it. Anything beyond that and I think the line between the good side and the bad side blurs.

Foothills

Banned
It is when you trawl through forums and try and stick him with stuff years old, of questionable credibility, and only to pile misery on some who's been publicly humiliated.

I'm not supporting him at all, this incident is just the latest example of lonely, bitter morons who don't know when to hang up the towel. I thought it was apt he lost his job and got publicly called for it. Anything beyond that and I think the line between the good side and the bad side blurs.

Questionable credibility? He talks about it in his interview. Just stop dude.

Speaking of lonely bitter morons who don't know when to hang up the towel....

My job isn't customer service
Just for the record, I'm not a PR guy, either. I'm not a PR or Marketing guy. I did a little bit of marketing for them back after I met them at CES. They didn't have a customer service call center. The owner doesn't do customer service because he's not a phone person. There wasn't anybody else to do it, so they asked me to handle it for them, and I did the best I can.
I understand completely Paul. You weren't qualified to do either job so you did both.

Chittagong

Gold Member

Pretty astonishing interview. He seems very straight forward and forthcoming about any question, and now it doesn't seem he is blatantly lying, just spinning a bit. But it does confirm he is stupid as fuck, he still doesn't understand where he failed, he is clueless of how social media works (lol hiding in twitter) and he truly cannot spell. He is just a dimb fuck who first ot lucky, then went way beyond his depth and then got exposed.

Top Bottom