• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People seem to forget that the Pro is premium product

Shtof

Console generations typically last 6-7 years.
As they go on, the processing power gap between the PCs and consoles grow larger and larger.
The likelihood of parts of the market jumping from console to PC grows each year as the console grows older.

A console maker can avoid this by creating a premium option.

It is thus clear that the PS5 Pro is not meant as a mass market product.
Rather, it is targeted at a small minority of console gamers that can afford to jump to the high-end PC market.

It is certainly more profitable to sell regular PS5's to everybody else.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
As they go on, the processing power gap between the PCs and consoles grow larger and larger.
The likelihood of parts of the market jumping from console to PC grows each year as the console grows older.

Rather, it is targeted at a small minority of console gamers that can afford to jump to the high-end PC market.

Or people that simply have no interest in PCs for gaming and have sufficient money to just buy the best possible PlayStation on the market at any time.

Hugare

Dj Khaled Mtv Emas GIF by 2020 MTV EMA

It's 45% better than the PS5 while being almost 100% more expensive. And lacking the disc drive. Its not "premium" when its lacking features that the base model already has.

Value is subjective, but the value here is just ridiculously low for many.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable

I'm not so sure that's the case. For years we've known that consoles sell the most when the hardware can be cut in price, which normally comes a couple of years into a generation. That neither Xbox nor Playstation have decreased the price of their consoles this generation, instead actually increasing them, should tell you that things have changed, and that the cost of producing hardware has not dropped, which in the past was the key to creating lower costs and increasing profit margins.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter

It's premium, yet doesn't come with a stand or disc drive...these are now premium features that don't come with a premium product.

Makes sense.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Do you agree that it will be the most premium PlayStation console available? Regardless of price?
Well, yeah I guess, it's their best console if we only look at the hardware.

But I also agree that it is way too overpriced based on what they've shown.

winjer

Your definition of premium is rather lacking.
Might I remind you that this console is still using the old Zen2 CPU, with cutdown cache and FP unit.
It's using a 256bit bus with no infinity cache. It's memory is only 28% faster than the base console.
It has only 16TFLOPs + VOPD.
Has no disk drive included. And even the stand is sold separately.

Von Hugh

A premium product that requires you to buy a 120 euro disc drive for it to be considered a viable console?

45 % more power for 60 % more price. That's some premium alright. PS4 Pro was twice as powerful for the same price as the original. Something doesn't add up here.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

It's not a premium product though.

KXVXII9X

If it was a premium product, it would come with a disc drive, a stand , and a pro controller with hall effect joysticks.

It isn't just that. Sony has been constantly raising the price on everything. More of this gen for them has been on hardware than software. They were showcasing better Last gen game graphics for their current gen "premium console."

I don't even think this premium console even got a CPU boost.

Last edited:

Astray

Fucking this.

People are essentially arguing about the console 4090's existence when a console 4060 exists and is still very playable.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Well, yeah I guess, it's their best console if we only look at the hardware.

But I also agree that it is way too overpriced based on what they've shown.
OK, but the fact is it is a premium product in their ecosystem.

The price is another issue as perception of value is subjective, everyone will have their own opinion on that and will act accordingly.

Last edited:

ShakenG

I remember spending $1000 on an Amp, $2200 on a tv. $1800 on a phone..
But this is what people go crazy on?
Honestly, i dont get it.

I think that video from cerny did a poor job of what this machine will offer. DF were right. Get the feeling some minds will change when we get to see proper comparisons.

Last edited:

Hugare

I'm all for complaining it's expensive, but this is disingenuous. There's far more going on than just the 45% GPU increase.
Probably.

Cant tell cause Sony did a terrible job in showing what those things are.

Doesnt change the fact its nowhere near a 100% improvement as the price is if you include the disc driver sold separately

finalflame

Same excuse Apple buyers and RTX 4090 buyers give. Just because a product is Premium doesnt mean it should be sold at that price tag.
It should if people will buy it.

This is really a matter of the haves and the have nots. You know which one you are if you’re complaining about $700.

ElFenomeno

Yes , I agree , it's a premium product that will let you play at the highest graphical fidelity these awesome Sony exclusives that are coming up.
So first of all, we have, uh.., Until Dawn Remake this fall, what, you're not excited?
Then next year, actually the year after, ND and SSM should release new games.
Premium experience no doubt about it. Sony is delivering on all fronts.

Last edited:

Hohenheim

Rather, it is targeted at a small minority of console gamers that can afford to jump to the high-end PC market
It's a huge leap from the ps5 pro to the high-end PC market.
PS5 pro is targeted at people who want 60fps without sacrificing fidelity and resolution too much. I don't think that's a small minority like the high end PC gamers.
In the world of high end PC's there is nothing premium about the PS5 pro.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
OK, but the fact is it is a premium product in their ecosystem.

The price is another issue as perception of value is subjective, everyone will have their own opinion on that and will act accordingly.
I don't think you can separate the product from it's price, but you do you, I don't care.

They are asking 800€ + stand + disc drive and haven't even shown what this thing is capable of outside of a very few exclusive titles that already ran perfectly fine on the base model, instead of showing what players could be interested in which is the games that are already struggling on the base model, like FF XVI, Wukong or Space Marine 2.

PSSR might end up being the best thing ever, who knows, but as of right now this thing to me is an overpriced product.

If you want to label it as "premium", ok go ahead, but imo you are doing that because of the price alone.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
The price of the PS4 Pro was the same as the PS4 base launch price. And it came with a disc drive.
What was the cost of the leading GPUs on the PC market at the time of launch for each of these consoles? I'm pretty sure the whole wider market has shown the same relative increase in costs (I may be wrong) so it may be disingenuous to make this comparison, but I think this mentality may explain some people's dislike of the pricing.

Top Bottom