• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People seem to forget that the Pro is premium product

Sony can’t ship consoles made from cheap feeling creaky plastic, which get audibly loud with fan noise and coil whine, paired with controllers that develop stick drift easily and have fragile triggers, in packaging in cheap packaging and expect people to view them as Apple-esque.
giphy-2024-09-11-T221935-178.gif

Don't know but the build quality looks like shit like the normal PS5.

The plastic will definitely make cracking noises again when it warms up.

Included stand in the PS5 was crap.
People will pay a premium price for what?? The included Nidec fan?? Or the shitty PSU with coile whine??🤦🙈

I have three dualsense controllers and every left thumbstick is peeled off.

Last edited:

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
At this point I'd more likely call the OLED Switch a Premium product than the PS5. The truth of it is, neither are (and the PS5 Pro won't be either).

Puscifer

Console generations typically last 6-7 years.
As they go on, the processing power gap between the PCs and consoles grow larger and larger.
The likelihood of parts of the market jumping from console to PC grows each year as the console grows older.

A console maker can avoid this by creating a premium option.

It is thus clear that the PS5 Pro is not meant as a mass market product.
Rather, it is targeted at a small minority of console gamers that can afford to jump to the high-end PC market.

It is certainly more profitable to sell regular PS5's to everybody else.
The difference is that the PS4 was priced specifically to target the audience of PS users they're afraid of losing, aka, those who would upgrade mid gen to PC and I'll admit it worked for me last generation to the point for the first time in years my PC collected dust. I rebuilt in 2022 for the first time and my 980 PC was finally retired.

The market has changed so much I'm not upgrading my PC and I'm not using my PS5 till GTA 5. I'm sorry but a 800 dollar console is just too much of a joke.

Last edited:

JaksGhost

It doesnt compensate for lack of cpu power, its simply really good upscaling method, think checkerboarding from ps4pr0 but 2.0 .
It sure as shit seems to compensate for PC owners that use similar upscaling tech right now for better frames by dropping resolution. DLSS seems to be this magic unicorn here with it's machine based learning and now Sony has their own solution they can foster to benefit devs.

Last edited:

simpatico

What are everyone's expectations for PSSR? From the way it's talked about, it seems like modern DLSS is the absolute floor. If it's better than FSR, Radeon customers are going to have some questions.

DragonNCM

This isn't a videogame that needs a huge playerbase. It's a piece of hardware that offers a premium experience for those willing to pay for it. They don't need the people down voting it, quite frankly. Nor do they want to lower the profit margin to get those people to buy it. They are basically saying, buy it if you want, if you don't buy a PS5.
Strange how it was same with PS4Pro but costed only 100$more from PS4 & it is same bullshit comparation like PS5 to PS5Pro & where is 300euro justification for that price ?
You don't even get disc drive with "PRO" version.
How will you play your disc PS4 & PS5 library ?
Looks like your "PRO" model will need another 130 euro so you can play your disc library.....PRO....my ass.

SenkiDala

It is not a "premium product". This is not because it is written "Pro" that it means it has anything "professional".

This is indeed a zen2 based console... That's so low than it's not even possible to build an equivalent PC in 2024 because it doesn't exists anymore.

So "premium", come on. This is just a video game console with a little upgrade in graphics.

This is the same persons who defended the 240€ DualSense Edge controller.

If you accept those prices for a mid gen, you tell them "we're ok for a 800€ PS6 day one". But do as you want.

premium product
but still nickel and dimes you
very premium indeed.

Big issue is their trailer was a terrible sales pitch. It fails to show any noticeable improvements. And showing how ps4 games will run better is a mistake. It's a high end product, so they should be making comparisons with high end PCs.

When the ps4 pro was released, it was at ps4's launch price and they also lowered the price of the base model.

This is just pure gouging because xbox is irrelevant and they also want to test the waters for ps6.

REDRZA MWS

Please stay consistent. You say a premium product must be much better than the non premium counterpart right? Ok.

Is the PS5pro...

Better than the PS5 digital SKU. Because that is the non-premium counterpart its based on since it comes without a disc drive. So it cost $250 more than the PS5 digital. So here is the question, is over 100GB/s more bandwidth, double the SSD size, better RT, AI acceleration hardware, 50%ish faster GPU, 10%ish faster CPU and a slight markup on top of all that.... not better than the non-premium counterpart?

A this is me just indulging your version of the word premium, that's not what it means to be premium though. Remember the PS4 anniversary limited edition console? Sold for more than the standard counterpart by $100. All it had were different faceplates. Thats what it means to be premium.

What the PS5pro is, simply put, is an upgrade over the standard console... sold at a premium price.

An to me, the second people start resorting to calling people fanboys or throwing around cope when having an otherwise sound conversation, is what I think is being a fanboy and cope.

The PS5pro cost $700. That thing probably cost no more than $550-$600 to make. It literally doesn't get more premium than that. Or you want me to pull up the definition of premium for you?
If you define the same games we’ve been playing since ps4 launched, with simple higher res, a touch bette ray tracing, a few frames…… then by all means. Nothing about that screams “premium” to me. I’m blessed to have disposable income but no way I’m paying 700 for what you ca “premium”

Mr.Phoenix

Sony can’t ship consoles made from cheap feeling creaky plastic, which get audibly loud with fan noise and coil whine, paired with controllers that develop stick drift easily and have fragile triggers, in packaging in cheap packaging and expect people to view them as Apple-esque.
Sony make cheap products now? Ok.
They are heading for a crash IMO. There’s a reason 50% of their players are still on PS4.
Do you really believe this? Or is this just your inner fanboy getting the best of you?

And before you answer hopefully you don't) please think about what you just said here and how easily it can be disputed.

If you bought the more expensive launch PS5 in order to get physical games, then yeah you need the disc drive

That is true but its not in all cases.
I don't have a PS5 and 98% of my PS4 library of games on my old PS4 Pro is all digital so I don't need a disc drive if I go in for a PS5 Pro.

Isn't there also data floating around somewhere that we're moving to an all digital future anyways? This would also be a means for PS to test the waters for an all digital PS6 which at this point in time seems to be a 100% certainty.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

If you define the same games we’ve been playing since ps4 launched, with simple higher res, a touch bette ray tracing, a few frames…… then by all means. Nothing about that screams “premium” to me. I’m blessed to have disposable income but no way I’m paying 700 for what you ca “premium”
Okay... I have tried my best to steer clear of this very point you have made, because its ignorant best, and disingenuous at worst.

It is OBVIOUS that that presentation had games shown that were already on the market, and its perfectly natural to show things already available because those things would require patches to make them support the new hardware. There are at least 2 more shows scheduled for this year alone that we know of... you all really believe we wont get a chance to see more of what this thing can do or what is gonna support it before November?????

You all are talking as if that is all that will ever come to the PS5pro. And that is flat-out the most ignorant stance anyone can take. Obviously, every game released after September this year will support the PS5pro natively, and the PS5pro will boost every other game on the platform. Its kinda hard to take this nonsense seriously when you guys are saying shit like PS4 whatever as if you have absolutely no understanding of what is happening. This is the disingenuous part.

EVERY game released over the next 4 years... WILL support the PS5pro. The PS5Pro, will be the best console to play any of those games. These are just facts.

Now... Premium...

by definition,

a sum added to an ordinary price or charge.
"customers are reluctant to pay a premium for organic fruit"

Similar:
surcharge

additional payment
extra amount/charge

additional fee
  • a sum added to interest or wages; a bonus.
  • relating to or denoting a commodity or product of superior quality and therefore a higher price.

Now you all can stop arguing about it being a premium product or not, and start talking about whether its valuable to you or not., Now if you are saying you don't see the value in it for you... or you arent willing to part with that amount of money for it? Then by all means, knock yourself out. But you don't have to twist things around to make that point

ReBurn

Gold Member
PSSR is much more than checkerboard 2.0. Frankly, I think that may be the most important upgrade PS5 Pro offers. How well it performs very well may be the deciding factor for me.
Plus you get to call it pisser and laugh every time

Banjo64

cumsessed
Sony make cheap products now? Ok.
The PlayStation range has always had shoddy build quality. Their radios, Bravia range, Vaio range etc all class but PlayStation is cheap.

Do you really believe this? Or is this just your inner fanboy getting the best of you?
Fanboy bingo, who am I a fanboy of today?

And before you answer hopefully you don't) please think about what you just said here and how easily it can be disputed.
I’d love to see you dispute that the PS5 is cheaply built because the actual build quality and materials disputes anything you can say.

PS5 Pro out of the box being digital only is not a good thing for as all my PS5 games are all physical I'm ok with the price knowing it's a premium product....what I find insulting is that they couldn't throw in the stand in the box for free. I know it sounds stupid in the grand scheme of things but sometimes it's the small details that make big differences in customer satisfaction.

They could have done a 650 digital and 700 with a drive

PS5 Pro out of the box being digital only is not a good thing for as all my PS5 games are all physical I'm ok with the price knowing it's a premium product....what I find insulting is that they couldn't throw in the stand in the box for free. I know it sounds stupid in the grand scheme of things but sometimes it's the small details that make big differences in customer satisfaction.

They could have done a 650 digital and 700 with a drive
They don't WANT you to have a drive. They only offer it reluctantly. I expect in many countries, brick and mortar stores would just offer bundles with the disc drive wrapped together with it on their own.

I understand why you don't like it, but the fact is it doesn't benefit Sony to do what you ask of them.

Astray

The weird thing to me is that the original PS5 includes a horizontal stand that converts to a vertical stand. I switched to vertical after three years and was surprised at how solid it is. Why didn't Sony just continue this method?
1) they wanted to cut BOM on the slim and get better margins. They used a super cheap plastic clip for horizontal.

2) the old stand has problems staying on correctly when used horizontally. I always dread having to reach into the back of the console and change cable set up etc.*

* I have all my consoles and home theater set-up in a customized Ikea Besta media center that I planned out, so things are a bit tight, but shit looks great overall and elevates the decor in the room.

... I dont know what you are trying to do here with this allegory

Let me make some changes: this deluxe car costs more like double the price of the original car on Europe, and almost double on the US, not 50%

It doesnt come with air conditioning (it does on the base model tho), and you have to pay more than 10% of the car's price to install it

Yeah, still a shitty deal when changing it to cars
Cars like this exist tho and people buy them

Three

Gold Member
They were showcasing better Last gen game graphics for their current gen "premium console."

I don't even think this premium console even got a CPU boost.
They’re showing PS4 games for this. I mean base PS5 would not only last you the rest of the generation no problem but actually even the start of next gen with all the cross-gen games.
Showcasing a premium product with last gen games was an awful idea.
They showcased more current gen games in Ratchet, Demon's Souls, Returnal and Spiderman 2. HFW and GT7 being crossgen isn't even a problem to show improvements. how many people spending $1500 on nvidia cards cream their pants for crossgen Cyberpunk in tech demos?

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

I’d love to see you dispute that the PS5 is cheaply built because the actual build quality and materials disputes anything you can say.
Notice what I quoted? Not talking about the cheap thing, that's subjective considering what the thing is supposed to cost and that its a mass-market product that typically is sold at a loss.

What I am talking about disputing is your claim that they are heading for a crash.

Mithos

That $700 isn’t really just $700 for us either. Where I live sales tax is about 10%, so that becomes almost $800 for me.
10%...

Here in Sweden its 25%, AND for the PS5 there is an added chemical-tax** (based on the products weight) ~300sek (~us$28-29), some profits % from retailers on the price-tag too, I'm not sure but the fact there are storage in the console too, it might get a different tax too because "you could put" music/movies in the storage so, "tax tax tax"

** For all electronics, based on products weight, ~us$1.1 / kg (household appliances) and ~us$16-17 / kg for all other electronics, at most it can be ~us$51-52.

Last edited:
I think people generally know it’s a premium product and wont be at a price that is acceptable by the masses. But I wonder if the specs match the price? And I’m 50/50 on not including the disc drive in the $700 price (in US).

I think people generally know it’s a premium product and wont be at a price that is acceptable by the masses. But I wonder if the specs match the price? And I’m 50/50 on not including the disc drive in the $700 price (in US).
You want the Disc drive to justify the price of purchase. Sony doesn't want to include the drive to justify the price of sale.

The thing with premium products, is that Sony does NOT expect most people to buy it. it is priced the way it is to deliberately target a minority. And Sony would NOT be sad that you didn't want to buy it. Remember that the profit for Sony is only a tiny bonus. Enough to worth doing but not enough to promote or discount too hard.

Last edited:

ShakenG

What exactly is going to change minds? They already told us what it offers, it's "almost" fidelity mode at 60fps, which suggests a slight downgrade from the true fidelity mode if anything. You're paying $800 plus tax to play at medium mixture "console settings" at 60fps with better upscaling. Are you implying there's a second GPU hidden in the power supply or something that's going to change people's minds?
Dont be silly, yes we've seen a short video but no we haven't seen what it can do properly. Thats the second argument. The video didnt show enough.. period.
No, im not implying there a second gpu hidden. Dont put words in my mouth mate. Im not stupid.
You and i haven't seen enough to say how well this console will perform.

Bernardougf

I want to see shitty perfomance third party games playing better.. give me Jedi Survivor, Dragons Dogma 2 and etc... if they can convince me is going to help third party achieve 60 fps without problems.. Im down ... because as far as first party goes I have zero problems the way the games are right now.

There are some games I held out for playing on the Pro... if its not delivering Im going to wait for the ps6 or even the next xbox to become my multiplat machine if they do this thing right.

farmerboy

with zen2 cpu and 256 bit memory interface its not

But it is. Show me a more powerful, premium console.

That's the thing, if you're in the PC space and an enthusiast, then you have a huge choice and budget range. No worries. But if you want a console, then there's only 3. A PS5pro will be the best you can buy.

If you wanted an upgraded CPU and memory, then it probably would have been $200 - $400 more. Is that feasible?

You may not like it, but I'm pretty sure Sony has given us the best they could within the constraints they deal with.

giphy-2024-09-11-T221935-178.gif

Don't know but the build quality looks like shit like the normal PS5.

The plastic will definitely make cracking noises again when it warms up.

Included stand in the PS5 was crap.
People will pay a premium price for what?? The included Nidec fan?? Or the shitty PSU with coile whine??🤦🙈

I have three dualsense controllers and every left thumbstick is peeled off.
Great, real life presentation altering point actually.

“Pro was specifically designed to be whisper quiet especially when hot over long periods of time.”

THAT would have been a major bullet point in the sales pitch.

Allandor

Actually, it is so premium, that you could buy 2 PS5 digital editions and have more hardware with that. Having that in mind, it should be easy for them just to sell a new product with a bit bigger soc at a reasonable price.
.after all, this is a console, so a compromise by design. If you want premium, go buy a PC.

Btw, I always refer to the 800€ price in Europe. Digital edition is 350-399€. Currently that would be around $880 (including taxes).

Last edited:

PeteBull

People also forget that 4070 Ti is priced at $799 . This is the world we are living right now , everything is overpriced
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/fV...12-gb-video-card-rtx-4070-ti-ventus-2x-12g-oc 690usd as of now, by november could be even less, on top thats a gpu that is 24% faster vs 4070, which is rougly similar to ps5pr0 ;)

Khyle

Neo Member
You just know that in a few years an equally priced PS6 will be defended by fanboys as a premium product too since "you can always keep playing on your PS5" (especially with the increasing number of cross-gen games as an excuse).

Last edited:
Top Bottom