• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT6| Where 6 Comes Before 5 (No PQ or P4U spoilers!)

If they are going by hype than the last character should definitely be
Makoto
. Though chances are it may not happen and I have to accept that. But damn does Atlus love trolling a lot, they've been hinting at it for ages. Can't blame fans for wanting it to happen considering that
Makoto's final persona is Messiah and you know what that means.

FluxWaveZ

You can play as Phoenix Wright in UMvC3. Celica's in Blazblue, Rise's in this. They don't have to normally fight for this to make sense.

No, this is a point that I will never, ever agree with. Phoenix Wright makes absolute sense for UMvC3 (fan favorite character in a game where choices are intentionally made for fan favorites?). Celica makes absolute sense for BlazBlue (have you seen how she fights?). Rise makes absolute sense for P4AU (her Persona has evolved, fitting the story context).

If you're implying that the narrative for UMvC3 is equivalent to the narrative for P4AU, I'll just laugh. If not, then the fact that their narratives are not equivalent should be obvious for everyone that it does not have an equivalent impact on roster choices, especially combined with the words of Wada himself when it has come to which characters to choose. Not to mention that one is a collaboration fighting game depicting multiple IPs across two different studios while the other is a single series, representing the IP of a single studio. There is 100% no relation here. Dojima in P4AU != Phoenix Wright in UMvC3. The same goes for Celica in BBCP. It's like saying Mr. Game & Watch in Melee = Dojima in P4AU; it's ridiculous.

Sophia

There is a really interesting and heated and vivid discussion going on GFs right now regarding ATLUS's recent and upcoming "spinoffs/remakes/rehashes/etc"

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/997614-nintendo-3ds/69791091?page=12

Maybe there's a lot of diehard fans here but I have to agree with some of the points made in that thread

Atlus has been doing spinoffs and remakes for years tho. Persona itself is a spinoff of Shin Megami Tensei and THAT was a spinoff of the original Megami Tensei. And they've been doing remakes as far back as Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei on the SNES. It is basically been their MO since the beginning.

It's really nothing new, and the creator of that topic is just being completely stupid and ignoring reality.

No, this is a point that I will never, ever agree with. Phoenix Wright makes absolute sense for UMvC3 (fan favorite character in a game where choices are intentionally made for fan favorites?). Celica makes absolute sense for BlazBlue (have you seen how she fights?). Rise makes absolute sense for P4AU (her Persona has evolved, fitting the story context).

I've totally wanted Celica as a playable character ever since she first appeared in the BlazBlue novels. Was kind of shocked she wasn't in Chronophantasia playable from the start. :<

There is a really interesting and heated and vivid discussion going on GFs right now regarding ATLUS's recent and upcoming "spinoffs/remakes/rehashes/etc"

Maybe there's a lot of diehard fans here but I have to agree with some of the points made in that thread
Etrian Odyssey is pretty good. But the others? I mean, who wants to play as down syndrome kids in skinny jeans trying to fight god and penises and date each other.
Oh to be ignorant. God I wish I could be just so.
Of course, the newborn Atlus fanboy babies will eat whatever they churn out and attack the older fans who grew up with them in the 90's for recognizing how far the company has fallen.
See, I can be a complete imbecile too.
is gamefaqs always like this

While I found like 3 sane people in that thread, most of the "vivid discussion" is just typical Gamefaqs. It is interesting to read though.

Bonus, my favorite quotes from that thread:
Atlus developed games were never really good to begin with. SMT, Persona, EO, and Catherine all sucked big time. The only exceptions were the Trauma Center series and Radiant Historia
Etrian Odyssey is pretty good. But the others? I mean, who wants to play as down syndrome kids in skinny jeans trying to fight god and penises and date each other.
is gamefaqs always like this
Pretty much.

Perusing that particular thread, I think the frustration is the fact that there hasn't been any mainline proper entry in ATLUS franchises for a very very long time. Whether it is Persona, or SMT or Trauma Team etc, the time difference between each mainline entry is very long and the grace period is basically filled with remakes/rehashes/whatever goes.

If they are going by hype than the last character should definitely be
Makoto
. Though chances are it may not happen and I have to accept that. But damn does Atlus love trolling a lot, they've been hinting at it for ages. Can't blame fans for wanting it to happen considering that
Makoto's final persona is Messiah and you know what that means.

Yes, people tend to forget that
messiahs tend to rise from the grave.

FluxWaveZ

Good games are good games, spin-off or not.

Looking forward to hearing more about Margaret tomorrow. I think she'd have to have at least 6 Persona cards (it'd be pretty hilarious if she had 1-2). Wonder how her Personas are going to be represented in the UI. If she's a stance change character, it'd be a neat effect if the TV screen changed channels to represent a Persona change. Maybe she'll have one "main" Persona and use the others as support, like Ken and Koromaru.

Perusing that particular thread, I think the frustration is the fact that there hasn't been any mainline proper entry in ATLUS franchises for a very very long time. Whether it is Persona, or SMT or Trauma Team etc, the time difference between each mainline entry is very long and the grace period is basically filled with remakes/rehashes/whatever goes.

Right, like SMT IV (2013) or EO IV (2013) or Persona 5 (2015)...

Also, I just re-read the PQ manga announcement and:
The story takes place on the last day of the Yasogami High culture festival. During the event, the heroes of Persona 4 see a strange bell tower appear on the school grounds. The heroes of Persona 3 also hear the bell, and are dragged into the future where the Persona 4 cast awaits.
So the manga will follow P4's side, huh. And that means P3MC with personality and dialogue.

LX_Theo

Banned
Persona making rereleases isn't exactly a new thing...

And being a spin-off as no bearing on if its good or not.

Also, I just re-read the PQ manga announcement and:

So the manga will follow P4's side, huh. And that means P3MC with personality and dialogue.

Don't they drop the silent protagonist concept when they convert these into manga? I'd imagine both would get dialogue and a personality.

Well we just had SMT4 last year. 5 is due out this year or early next. I don't think half of that is frustration, it's literally just people finding an outlet to for their stupid. If you want to voice your opinion fine, do it in a reasonable manner, but saying that all newer persona fans are whiny high school emos is just childish.

LX_Theo

Banned
Huh, I totally missed that there was going to be a manga adaptation of PQ; I'm usually good at being aware of these things. 'Course it would happen, though. Wonder if we should assume a P4A anime is inevitable or not.

I'd say borderline inevitable. Its inevitable that they're going to make more Persona anime. What they do before they move onto Persona 5 and beyond adaptations is up in the air, I would postulate.

PK Gaming

So i'm preeeeeeetty sure Akaume is the same person who's mostly known for drawing hentai.

The Persona Q manga should be verrrrrrrry interesting.

SMT just had one a year ago. Persona's is releasing next year, and didn't the Trauma games bombed? I doubt ATLUS would want to make a new entry for it.
Don't they drop the silent protagonist concept when they convert these into manga? I'd imagine both would get dialogue and a personality.
Oops, forgot that. Hmm, I suppose then P3MC will be more fleshed out as a character while Yu will have a few lines there and there, since the point of choosing a protagonist is that the you get to know the other one.
Pretty much.
:/

Mdesilva

If you're implying that the narrative for UMvC3 is equivalent to the narrative for P4AU, I'll just laugh. If not, then the fact that their narratives are not equivalent should be obvious for everyone that it does not have an equivalent impact on roster choices, especially combined with the words of Wada himself when it has come to which characters to choose. Not to mention that one is a collaboration fighting game depicting multiple IPs across two different studios while the other is a single series, representing the IP of a single studio. There is 100% no relation here. Dojima in P4AU != Phoenix Wright in UMvC3. The same goes for Celica in BBCP. It's like saying Mr. Game & Watch in Melee = Dojima in P4AU; it's ridiculous.
I don't know about that. Do you think it's really necessary for every character to have a reason in the story for being playable? (I'm not saying that was my point before).

Caladrius

He is consistently the dumbest suggestion I have seen for a fighter next to Funky Student or the Fox (realizing that some people are actually being serious about these). Some act like this is Super Smash Bros. or PlayStation All-Stars.

Dojima is the last major character among the cast that (P3+P4 spoilers)
isn't supposed to be dead, or is a child

True, but you'd think they'd end on a high note too. Even switching Margaret and Marie would help, I think. If there's a hint at a 4th character, I'd think that this is it, even if my character select theory doesn't support it.

Maybe. They may have announced them in the order they did because they wanted to match the release order.

LX_Theo

Banned
Oops, forgot that. Hmm, I suppose then P3MC will be more fleshed out as a character while Yu will have a few lines there and there, since the point of choosing a protagonist is that the you get to know the other one.

You think? I'd imagine they'd take the opportunity to let them play off each other and let the game work like that.

Mdesilva

I mean, if this is about preserving canon, A. Atlus is clearly not against writing in reasons for characters to fight and B. Non-canon/story-related fighters aren't that ridiculous to consider.

PK Gaming

I don't know about that. Do you think it's really necessary for every character to have a reason in the story for being playable? (I'm not saying that was my point before).

Think about it from another perspective; if story wasn't a factor, then
Makoto
absolutely would have been playable.

Dojima doesn't work as a viable P4AU character choice for a couple of reasons:

1. His moveset potential simply isn't conducive to a successful arena character. What does he add to the table? Gun and melee attacks? That niche is almost completely covered by Naoto and [Redacted], and more importantly, he outright lacks a Persona.

2. The writers would have to contrive a lot for him to a fighter. We're talking, facing his Shadows, getting a Persona... the works. Otherwise, a regular guy like himself stands no chance against Persona users.

FluxWaveZ

Yes, because they've said so themselves and that's how literally every single character in the roster has been chosen. There's a hypothetical fighting game where any and all Persona series characters could have been equally likely to be part of the roster, and this game isn't it.

If you think it doesn't matter, why do you think the P3MC&#8212;one of the most popular Persona characters ever, especially combined with PQ and P3M&#8212;is not part of the roster right now?

B. Non-canon/story-related fighters aren't that ridiculous to consider.

This isn't one. That's the point. You can argue over and over again that you'd want it to be one, that it should be one or that it can be one, but it's not. That's it. It's not complicated.

Dojima is the last major character among the cast that (P3+P4 spoilers)
isn't supposed to be dead, or is a child

This isn't even true if we exclude Fuuka and Theodore. What about
Namatame
? What about
Mitsuo
? Why would it even be Dojima when it could be someone more relevant like the Malevolent Entity (assuming its disparate from anyone we've seen until now)? There isn't even a guarantee that there will be a character after Margaret, so why does it matter?

Caladrius

This isn't even true if we exclude Fuuka and Theodore. What about
Namatame
? What about
Mitsuo
? Why the would it even be Dojima when it could be someone more relevant like the Malevolent Entity (assuming its disparate from anyone we've seen until now)? There isn't even a guarantee that there will be a character after Margaret, so why does it matter?

Fair enough for Fuuka and Theodore.
Namatame and Mitsuo
wouldn't work considering that neither of them have any weapons particularly associated with them in addition to lacking Personas themselves. Unless
Namatame was turned into a full-on joke character who attacks with delivery equipment, which is obviously inappropriate.

We were talking about a hypothetical to begin with. The character has a negligible chance of being playable even with making that assumption, but that doesn't mean we can't debate the merits of them either way.

LX_Theo

Banned
Honestly... If I had a character I though was most likely to get a supposed final slot... I'd say it'd be
Ryoji
. Can't say I have strong evidence for why I think this. I'm also not particularly fond of that character, so no bias involved.

FluxWaveZ

Namatame and Mitsuo
wouldn't work considering that neither of them have any weapons particularly associated with them in addition to lacking Personas themselves. Unless
Namatame was turned into a full-on joke character who attacks with delivery equipment, which is obviously inappropriate.

We were talking about a hypothetical to begin with. The character has a negligible chance of being playable even with making that assumption, but that doesn't mean we can't debate the merits of them either way.

Wait, what? Somehow Dojima is more viable than those two? Characters who are technically fought against in battle, have witnessed Personas and when one of them has been
given the power to enter TVs by Izanami, gaining supernatural powers by extension
? (P4 spoilers) This isn't ironic?

My point about Dojima being a dumb suggestion wasn't for his combat viability or not, because ASW could make anything work. My point is why some believe the suggestion to be realistic, which it isn't unless Dojima is somehow written to gain a Persona and learn about everything in P4AU.

PK Gaming

Wait, what? Somehow Dojima is more viable than those two? Characters who are technically fought against in battle, have witnessed Personas and when one of them has been
given the power to enter TVs by Izanami, gaining supernatural powers by extension

My point about Dojima being a dumb suggestion wasn't for his combat viability or not, because ASW could make anything work. My point is why some believe the suggestion to be realistic, which it isn't unless Dojima is somehow written to gain a Persona and learn about everything in P4AU.

Dojima is a long shot, but those guys are even less viable. They have absolutely 0 appeal, even if they can technically fight. Hell, even that is debatable considering
Mitsuo never gained a Persona because he's a fucking loser, and Nametame never awakened to one either.
They're unpopular, lack moveset potential and are ultimately unappealing. Ugly too. At least Dojima was considered by Arcsys at one point. You can bet your ass nobody ever considered those losers (and for good reason).

Persona 4 is better than 3.

Sorry that it took me this long to realize this.

Finally, you see the hama.

Lunar15

They slapped a persona down on Marie and magically made Rise's able to fight, so honestly I'd say everything is fair game at this point.

Xenoflare

Persona 4 is better than 3.

Sorry that it took me this long to realize this.

Atlus spent more time on making everything from scratch for P3, P4 didn't have to go through all that.

I liked the premise of P3 much, much more than P4, but seriously all S.links in P3 sucked a lot. P4 isn't perfect, but most of the S.links are really well written.

I played P3P undubbed (sorry I'm a dirty pirate), and I bought FES and P3P on PSN again. Fuuka's English voice is just errrrr.......

"It has multiple wEakNessEs"

LX_Theo

Banned
They slapped a persona down on Marie and magically made Rise's able to fight, so honestly I'd say everything is fair game at this point.
I'm going to go ahead and say people without any associations with the Persona world(s) are not fair game. People like Dojima or... *shivers*... Nanako.

Lunar15

I'm going to go ahead and say people without any associations with the Persona world(s) are not fair game. People like Dojima or... *shivers*... Nanako.

While you are most likely right, I'm seriously at the point where I feel like they could probably put anything in there.

Caladrius

They never accept their shadows
, so they still would have roughly the same combat ability as Dojima unless they were
forced to have some kind of epiphany
, at which rate Dojima
facing a shadow of his own
isn't stretching any further.
And isn't Mitsuo institutionalized?

I can't really refute most of your latter point, with the reservation that the former wouldn't be necessary for the latter to happen, still allowing for a character without a Persona if they really wanted to (which is a big "if", as you said, since they might want to keep the number of Persona-free characters to one to maintain Sho's uniqueness).

Acid08

Banned
This is how I feel. Don't get it when people say Fuuka would somehow be impossible to do, look at some of Marie and Rise's attacks. Yeah right they can't ass up an excuse for Fuuka's Persona to be able to attack now.

Sophia

I wouldn't mind Fuuka being playable for the plot twists and characterization it would offer, but realistically it's not likely to happen unless she goes through a lot in this game.

Lunar15

I think Smash has just taken me to a point where I just don't care about arguing about rosters. I used to be all like 'HA NO WAY PAC MAN'S GETTING IN" and then boom Sakurai puts Pac Man in the damn game.

Acid08

Banned
I wouldn't mind Fuuka being playable for the plot twists and characterization it would offer, but realistically it's not likely to happen unless she goes through a lot in this game.
Yeah not saying it will or should happen but I really don't think it's some huge stretch when Marie is attacking people with a fucking bag. Fuuka could whip people with her pony tail like she's Pootie Tang.

DNAbro

I think Smash has just taken me to a point where I just don't care about arguing about rosters. I used to be all like 'HA NO WAY PAC MAN'S GETTING IN" and then boom Sakurai puts Pac Man in the damn game.

i thought the second namco was announced to be helping pac man was a shoe in(shoo in?)

KLonso

So is P4U supposed to have a different story mode from P4A? Does that mean that if I want to follow the threads of the story, I'll have to buy P4A first, and then P4U? I haven't even started P4G yet, just beat P3P yesterday. That's enough acronyms for today.

I still maintain there's two reasons Fuuka won't be playable. First, she has WAY too passive a personality. Second, I have a hard time imagining that dome persona being used for battle. (Rise's persona is understandable because they just had to get rid of the hand visor)

i thought the second namco was announced to be helping pac man was a shoe in(shoo in?)
Shoo-in.

PK Gaming

Guys, I think it just comes to down to appeal, nobody would want to see Fuuk-

Yeah not saying it will or should happen but I really don't think it's some huge stretch when Marie is attacking people with a fucking bag. Fuuka could whip people with her pony tail like she's Pootie Tang.

11-3-not-funny.gif

I can't breathe

Someone please draw this

Sophia

I still maintain there's two reasons Fuuka won't be playable. First, she has WAY too passive a personality. Second, I have a hard time imagining that dome persona being used for battle. (Rise's persona is understandable because they just had to get rid of the hand visor)

That's exactly what I mean. There would have to be a significant event to make her want to fight directly, like her Shadow antagonizing her or something. Where as Rise kinda had that spirit in the first place to want to help everyone.

Huh, I totally missed that there was going to be a manga adaptation of PQ; I'm usually good at being aware of these things.
Step it up, senpai!
So i'm preeeeeeetty sure Akaume is the same person who's mostly known for drawing hentai.

Well, Teddie does get to see Yukiko's undies
You think? I'd imagine they'd take the opportunity to let them play off each other and let the game work like that.
I was thinking that if they wanted both to have full personality and stuff they would condense both storylines instead of just going for P4's, but yeah, you're probably right.
Dojima is a long shot, but those guys are even less viable. They have absolutely 0 appeal, even if they can technically fight. Hell, even that is debatable considering
Mitsuo never gained a Persona because he's a fucking loser, and Nametame never awakened to one either.
They're unpopular, lack moveset potential and are ultimately unappealing. Ugly too. At least Dojima was considered by Arcsys at one point. You can bet your ass nobody ever considered those losers (and for good reason).
Don't you dare talk about
Namatame
like that
I'm a little bothered by this, but whatever.

Xenoflare

That's exactly what I mean. There would have to be a significant event to make her want to fight directly, like her Shadow antagonizing her or something. Where as Rise kinda had that spirit in the first place to want to help everyone.

If Fuuka is playable, her persona needs a complete make over, Rise's fighting Himiko isn't that obscure when all things considered.

abrack08

So is P4U supposed to have a different story mode from P4A? Does that mean that if I want to follow the threads of the story, I'll have to buy P4A first, and then P4U? I haven't even started P4G yet, just beat P3P yesterday. That's enough acronyms for today.

P4AU is a sequel to P4A, with a totally new story that continues a few days after the events of P4A. The Japanese version includes a story episode that contains the story from the first game, I don't think it's been announced for the English version, but I'd guess it will at least come over as DLC.

I would also advise against playing the story of either fighting game before playing P4G. In fact... I would say don't even look at the character roster because there are spoilers. Unless you don't care about spoilers, of course.

Rhapsody

Banned

I don't think it'll affect much. There have been quite a few adaptations or games that have had artists with those kinds of backgrounds.

Squire

Banned
I don't think it'll affect much. There have been quite a few adaptations or games that have had artists with those kinds of backgrounds.

Tony Taka doing the Shining series, off the top of my head.

Artists will draw what you pay them to. A lot of erotic artists can and will do tame work. It's a job.

Top Bottom