• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT6| Where 6 Comes Before 5 (No PQ or P4U spoilers!)

I wasn't even mad, I just started to think "What am I doing spending so much time with this franchise when I am increasingly not the target audience?". I actually considered closing my GAF account and my Tumblr and just playing the games when they actually come out, like a normal person.

5 years and they treat fans with some chibi persona crossover game on 3DS and dancing rhythm game for the Vita......are you for real Atlus. Just look at the first few pages for PQ and P4D announcement threads. People were pissed.

pan-hime

Today's video is....our lovely Mitsuru.

and as usual
3ILmiaH.png

5 years and they treat fans with some chibi persona crossover game on 3DS and dancing rhythm game for the Vita......are you for real Atlus. Just look at the first few pages for PQ and P4D announcement threads. People were pissed.

I was more hyped over P4D than P5.

I still dislike PQ every time i see it.

I think the last episode's quality was consistent with the rest in terms of writing and pacing. The animation quality did drop though, yeah.
You mean you didn't enjoy the lovely stick people of Inaba? :p I guess the quality and pacing was pretty consistent, but I just didn't enjoy ep 4 as much as the first 3 personally.

Wow, I never knew PGAF hated 3DS that much back then lol Even before the actual game was revealed they already hated it, haha. I wish I joined it back then. Also, props to Sophia for being the only PQ supporter from the beginning.

<BuddhaWITHPOWER> persona is over
*hours later*
<BuddhaWITHPOWER> it will be good then, their game is solid

<CrazyTank940> I thought the 3DS game was shitty
*hours later*
<CrazyTank940> the 3DS game looks decent

also
<Lemming> i like how all you clowns were ready to riot 5 minutes ago
<PKGaming> she [Kanamin] has nice boobs
<CrazyTank940> she does
my overreacting was mostly for fun that night. Man oh man was it fun and I regret nothing out of it :p

Also oh neat new trailer. I assumed Margaret would be next week due to how new character trailers have been consistently one week after reveal iirc, and so far it seems on track.

Daimaou

Briefly off-topic: I made my twitter account into something I might actually use this morning. I followed a bunch of you that I remembered the usernames of, or recognized when suggested.

If I missed you and you want to be twitter pals, it's @DaimaouTL.

Jintor

Lol.

Don't get emotionally invested in companies

FluxWaveZ

Also oh neat new trailer. I assumed Margaret would be next week due to how new character trailers have been consistently one week after reveal iirc, and so far it seems on track.

Not that consistent, since Rise's was the same week she was revealed and [Redacted]'s was two weeks after they were revealed, but Ken and Marie made it look like a trend.

Not that consistent, since Rise's was the same week she was revealed and [Redacted]'s was two weeks after they were revealed, but Ken and Marie made it look like a trend.
Huh, guess my memory's a bit more spotty than I expected.

Oh well. It is looking like next week anyways, simply because there's really nothing else they could do. Except maybe a launch trailer or something.

Dantis

So P4GA's new episode is out today. I'm keeping my expectations in check after last week's drop in quality...

Well, it's my second least favourite part of P4G, so my hopes aren't high.

Lol.

I mean, this is pretty much the solution, but it can be difficult, particularly if you start following specific staff members, like I think a lot of us here do.

I think the reality is that on a personal level, individual staff probably do have our (as fans) interests in mind, at least to a certain point. But as a company, it's all business.

FluxWaveZ

Oh well. It is looking like next week anyways, simply because there's really nothing else they could do. Except maybe a launch trailer or something.

They still have 2-3 weeks of updates but, yeah, Margaret's trailer is most likely next week. I feel that my previous prediction will hold:
August 7 = Mitsuru trailer, Margaret silhouette
August 14 = Margaret trailer
August 21 = P4AU TV spot?
August 27 = P4AU opening video

I think the TV Spot and Opening might be switched.

Unless we get the TV Spot next week.

That could happen. I'm really just looking at what they did for PQ and applying that to P4AU.

Dantis

They still have 2-3 weeks of updates but, yeah, Margaret's trailer is most likely next week. I feel that my previous prediction will hold:

EDIT: Actually, going by what happened with PQ, you might be right.

Though really some companies do deserve it. Atlus(barring a few things we'll never get the full story of(region lock P4A when P4AU won't, no P2:EP PSP, SMT IV EU release) has shown they deserve it. I mean, hell, I was somewhat pissed about buying Dragon's Crown for the Vita a month ago and thought it was another game that I was going to buy and have it appear on PS+ a month later, but Atlus is like "Hey, here, have the PS3 version as well!" :p
I actually don't agree with this. What do Atlus do that other companies don't?

Meia

Lol.

Good advice.

Though really some companies do deserve it. Atlus(barring a few things we'll never get the full story of(region lock P4A when P4AU won't, no P2:EP PSP, SMT IV EU release) has shown they deserve it. I mean, hell, I was somewhat pissed about buying Dragon's Crown for the Vita a month ago and thought it was another game that I was going to buy and have it appear on PS+ a month later, but Atlus is like "Hey, here, have the PS3 version as well!" :p

With mods teasing an imminent P5 announcement over the course of like 6 months, then that large countdown event, and then the stream featuring an old lady I don't think anyone still knows who the hell it was, coupled with announcing games that people didn't necessarily want over a main line sequel, the reaction was expected. :p

Still have to give props for Persona Q for having me discover Etrian Odyssey(a series I had passing interest in after getting III and playing it for like an hour) and reigniting an old love for fighting games(after extensive SF2 being the last I've played of them).

Meia

EDIT: Actually, going by what happened with PQ, you might be right.

I actually don't agree with this. What do Atlus do that other companies don't?

Release good games consistently? Have a tendency to not fuck over their fans? I mean, do I really need to compare an Atlus to a Square or a Capcom for examples? :p

Blech, double posts are bad. :\

Dantis

Release good games consistently? Have a tendency to not fuck over their fans? I mean, do I really need to compare an Atlus to a Square or a Capcom for examples? :p

Blech, double posts are bad. :\

Square and Capcom are two examples of bad publishers, though, right? And they have to be, because it comes with the territory of being AAA.

Atlus should be put alongside people like Aksys, NISA and XSEED, who are similar, and perhaps sometimes better with their fans.

Setsu00

Square and Capcom are two examples of bad publishers, though, right? And they have to be, because it comes with the territory of being AAA.

Atlus should be put alongside people like Aksys, NISA and XSEED, who are similar, and perhaps sometimes better with their fans.

I'd generally agree with you, but I still consider their European store daylight robbery.

Meia

The point is the prior two companies had as much goodwill as a company like Atlus did, for much the same reasons. Then, yeah.....

Companies usually have this kind of goodwill until they do some heinous things with either their IPs or to their fans to cause them to lose it. Atlus really hasn't done much in this regard in comparison. It helps that their best games are just *that* good as well.

Back in the SNES era, and then continuing into the PSX era, a Squaresoft game was pretty much a blind buy in terms of "games I will buy 100% because I will get a lot of enjoyment out of them." That stopped being the case a bit ago. Most of Capcom's problems with fans stems from misusing the IPs they do have(much the way Square has done lately).

I mean, ultimately, it's the games that carry things. You can put Atlus in the same tier as the other companies you listed, but I list them higher simply because I know whatever they release(in terms of RPGs) are things I'll enjoy. Being "AAA" has very little to do with it.

Dantis

I'd generally agree with you, but I still consider their European store daylight robbery.

This is true, but at least the store exists.

Not a shot at Atlus, like, but I'd say it's a plus for NISA.

Being "AAA" has very little to do with it.

Being AAA has everything to do with it. A bigger company has to make more money, which means that they have to finance larger scale projects, which in turn means they have to make more money back. Somewhere along the way, they're going to do something that some customers feel is exploitative, be it annual releases or microtransactions or whatever.

Atlus should be placed alongside their peers because of that. Smaller costs allows you to stick to your guns more, which is why indie developers are allowed so much freedom.

Meia

Being AAA has everything to do with it. A bigger company has to make more money, which means that they have to finance larger scale projects, which in turn means they have to make more money back. Somewhere along the way, they're going to do something that some customers feel is exploitative, be it annual releases or microtransactions or whatever.

Atlus should be placed alongside their peers because of that. Smaller costs allows you to stick to your guns more, which is why indie developers are allowed so much freedom.

There's a limit when it comes to AAA discussion though. Again, last year, Dark Souls can be announced at having sold like half of what Tomb Raider did, and yet Square will say that TR's numbers are a disappointment, when no Atlus game sold as much. Yes, it had a higher cost, but if we really want to discuss budget, we'd have to start talking mismanagement, marketing costs, etc. As someone like Jim Sterling said, "A lot of companies would rather make no money instead of some of the money if they can't make ALL of the money." It's why a lot of IPs from Capcom have gone dormant because they can never sell millions, even though not all games HAVE to.

Then again, I kind of have started to hate the "indie" label as it just kind of feels we're giving these "AAA" developers a free pass with some of the shit they do because they feel they need to make even more money. How many times did we see the past gen a game releases to a good audience, does well, then they feel they need to change the formula to get in more fans to make more money, usually to the game series' detriment? The concept of "tiers" with developers are kind of silly. I don't get more enjoyment out of a game that costs a hundred million more to make when a quarter of that is marketing budget...

Levito

Banned
So I've been kicking around this idea for a little while now, and thought it might be time to throw this out there to see what y'all think:

Would any of you interested in doing a Persona themed charity livetream event? Last October on RelyOnHorror we did one for the Resident Evil series where over the course of 3 days, we played through the majority of the series. In the end we raised $1200 for Child's Play, it was a reeeally fun and amazing experience.

It would take a bit of time to organize, but it could be a lot of fun.

So I've been kicking around this idea for a little while now, and thought it might be time to throw this out there to see what y'all think:

Would any of you interested in doing a Persona themed charity livetream event? Last October on RelyOnHorror we did one for the Resident Evil series where over the course of 3 days, we played through the majority of the series. IN the end we raised $1200 for Child's Play, it was a reeeally fun and amazing experience.

If its for a good cause then fuck yes this is a good idea. What sort of things did you have in mind for it?

Would any of you interested in doing a Persona themed charity livetream event? Last October on RelyOnHorror we did one for the Resident Evil series where over the course of 3 days, we played through the majority of the series. IN the end we raised $1200 for Child's Play, it was a reeeally fun and amazing experience.

I'd totally be down for something like that, especially if it's for a good cause!

kewlmyc

I'd be down for that. What would you have in mind?

Would any of you interested in doing a Persona themed charity livetream event? Last October on RelyOnHorror we did one for the Resident Evil series where over the course of 3 days, we played through the majority of the series. In the end we raised $1200 for Child's Play, it was a reeeally fun and amazing experience.

Would be fun doing something like that, I'd be down for it.

Levito

Banned
Here's the basic gist of it:

Say it happens on a weekend and we decide to go for the full 48 hours or so. We'd need to alternate between who's streaming and whatnot. So if It started off with me playing Persona 1, we'd switch to Scrafty playing P2:IS, and a few hours later someone else takes up Persona 3--you get the idea. Again, this just is an example, we don't need to go on for that long or anything. The only thing you need to keep in my is we *really* would need to fit the time slot set in place with Child's Play, so if we agree to go for 24 hours--we really have to stream for the full time.(unless of course we meet the charity goal ahead of time eg: we have a goal of hitting $1000)

We'd have a skype call going during the whole thing so that people aren't stuck just streaming. The change in streamers/games is there to change things up and make sure people get breaks and whatnot. You really need breaks during marathons like this.(trust me)

If its for charity, then count me in.

Man, i wish i could have been there for the resi one :)

This is a great idea-- I'd be willing to offer my services as designer/streamer/whatever is needed!

Meia

I have no idea how these things work. Do you just like marathon a game or something? Seen it a few times, just no idea how one would even jump onto something like that.

I do love the idea, though I wonder what it would be like to stream a hundred hour RPG. Modern personas especially don't exactly have the "starting off fast" thing. I mean, if you streamed for 4 hours, you'd just barely get to a point where you'd start the first dungeon in P4. :p

Nachos

Of course! I don't have any live streaming equipment, but I'd be happy to help however else I could. I'm just wondering what the set-up would be, with so many of us spread geographically.

EDIT: Well, there we go.

Top Bottom