• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT6| Where 6 Comes Before 5 (No PQ or P4U spoilers!)

This is it! This is the post where I become a fully fledged member!

ART DUMP!

P3:
Makoto
j6OtTv5l.jpg
Yukari
Junpei
Akihiko
Mitsuru
Fuuka
Aigis
Shinjiro
Ken
Koromaru

P4:

Velvet Room:

Extras:

Forgotten Realm:

I had to scroll through a LOT of questionable material to find some pictures I liked. Enjoy.

Acid08

Banned
Everything added to this sequel seems to be pretty freaking nice, nothing really taking away from the game. With shadow versions of most of the cast we also have more characters which aren't clones in the same sense as other fighting games, each one has their own personality and combos.

Also I don't get the hate for Marie especially the people comparing her to Lightning. She was a nice addition to the Persona 4 storyline and didn't subtract from anything out of the other characters.
Her insertion into the story was incredibly poor and, imo, added nothing of value to it.

Dugna

Her insertion into the story was incredibly poor and, imo, added nothing of value to it.

But her insertion was for fun and for adding more to Persona 4 storyline, and her being
part of Izanami
worked well in the story, it also added more personas. It did this all while not taking away from other characters. Heck her whole dungeon allowed for the rest of the investigation team to have more story. So I don't see her as a negative what so ever.

Acid08

Banned
But her insertion was for fun and for adding more to Persona 4 storyline, and her being
part of Izanami
worked well in the story, it also added more personas. It did this all while not taking away from other characters. Heck her whole dungeon allowed for the rest of the investigation team to have more story. So I don't see her as a negative what so ever.
Her social link was trash. Her dungeon was boring and made artificially difficult with the rules they put in place for it. She's not taking away from other characters but she wasn't much herself which is my problem. If you're going to insert a new character into a game full of great characters then you better make sure she can stack up and, to me, she wasn't even close.

Dugna

Her social link was trash. Her dungeon was boring and made artificially difficult with the rules they put in place for it. She's not taking away from other characters but she wasn't much herself which is my problem. If you're going to insert a new character into a game full of great characters then you better make sure she can stack up and, to me, she wasn't even close.

How was her Social link trash? Also by the time the dungeon comes around you're already stupidly powerful, they needed something to make it hard. Anyhow logically marie is all around plus to Persona 4, no good reason to hate her. Maybe feel meh about her but not hate her.

Setsu00

How was her Social link trash? Also by the time the dungeon comes around you're already stupidly powerful, they needed something to make it hard. Anyhow logically marie is all around plus to Persona 4, no good reason to hate her. Maybe feel meh about her but not hate her.

I like Marie, but the writing in her social link was stupid. Every member of the IT pop up by chance during her s link events, which is something that never happened in the other links. There's also the point that during
her dungeon, everybody acts as though Marie was one of them when they hardly knew her (especially Naoto - those two didn't even meet, as far as I can remember).

Sophia

Well.... let's see. Between the gated progression of it, the fact that it goes nowhere by the end, the obnoxious poems you sometimes have to see to start it, the fact that the story wierdly shoehorns in IT members who don't discuss it outside of that social link..... Yeah it was pretty awful. :\

abrack08

Her social link was alright. "What's 'steak' short for?" and when she points out Chie and Yukiko always wear the same colors, those were good ones. I can't even remember specific scenes like that in a lot of other characters S.Links.

Her dungeon is my favorite dungeon in the game, because other than small
Void Quest
and
Magatsu Inaba
gimmicks, it was the only dungeon that was any different than the others.

I also don't think she's as "tacked on" as some people think either... P4G was the first time I played the game, and if I hadn't known ahead of time she was one of the new additions I don't think I'd have been able to tell. My girlfriend also played the game, she didn't know Marie was added in later until I told her. She just seems like one of the S.Links/characters to me. She's not particularly great but doesn't seem out of place.

Acid08

Banned
Because the writing was cringe worthy and the situations are just excuses to have random run ins with the IT. Not for a second did I buy that a couple of these random encounters with members made then all ready to die for Marie.

The problem with the dungeon is that it isn't hard despite what restrictions they put on you. It was just annoying. Didn't make it much harder but made it MUCH more of a slog.

PK Gaming

Speaking of social links, Makoto's s.link with Yukari is fucking incredible.

I rewatched it for the first time and it holds up extremely so well. There's a reason why Makoto / Yukari is such an enticing ship; the 2 characters just play off each other so well. They have so much chemistry, and it's the first time where the protagonist actually has several things in common with Yukari. There's this common sentiment that the romance in Persona sort of plays like a dating sim game, and I honestly can't completely disagree with that sentiment. But my god, the relationship between Makoto and Yukari is just so damn fantastic and natural. I don't even want to get into this bullshit "best girl/waifu" nonsense. Yukari is just an incredibly well written character, full stop.

I can totally emphasize with her actions in "The Answer" now.

CorvoSol

Are we still comparing Marie to Lightning? lol I don't see it.

It's less about their actual personalities and more about how there are people who hate them both similarly, I guess. I don't think Marie is on Lightning's level, though. She doesn't even star in her own game, let alone have one with her name in the title, plus two others, and Atlus hasn't retconned shit to say she's the first female protagonist like Square did, and nobody's compared her to roses yet, etc.

I'm not a big fan of Marie, but she ain't on Lightning's level.

abrack08

Because the writing was cringe worthy and the situations are just excuses to have random run ins with the IT. Not for a second did I buy that a couple of these random encounters with members made then all ready to die for Marie.

The problem with the dungeon is that it isn't hard despite what restrictions they put on you. It was just annoying. Didn't make it much harder but made it MUCH more of a slog.

The IT
risked their lives for each other every time one of them got kidnapped, BEFORE they were good friends with each other (other than Chie helping rescue Yukiko). You think it would have fit their characters to go "Hey, I know that girl I met a few times is in trouble, trying to erase herself from existence, but fuck that! I'm getting out of here.

Well.... let's see. Between the gated progression of it, the fact that it goes nowhere by the end, the obnoxious poems you sometimes have to see to start it, the fact that the story wierdly shoehorns in IT members who don't discuss it outside of that social link..... Yeah it was pretty awful. :\

To be fair, how many S.Links events are discussed outside of the S.Link itself? Close to 0?

Edit: To be fair, part 2: The goal of part of her social link (maybe half? I don't remember) is to help her remember stuff. By the end,
she figures out who/what she is, which is what causes her to go to the Hollow Forest in the first place, right? I know the player doesn't get to figure it out too unless they go to the dungeon, but I still wouldn't call that going nowhere.

Acid08

Banned

I rewatched it for the first time and it holds up extremely so well. There's a reason why Makoto / Yukari is such an enticing ship; the 2 characters just play off each other so well. They have so much chemistry, and it's the first time where the protagonist actually several things in common with Yukari. There's this common sentiment that the romance in Persona sort of plays like a dating sim game, and I honestly can't completely disagree with that sentiment. But my god, the relationship between Makoto and Yukari is just so damn fantastic and natural. I don't even want to get into this bullshit "best girl/waifu" nonsense. Yukari is just an incredibly well written character, full stop.

Yup, by far the best romance is either game imo.

Moonlight

Banned

I rewatched it for the first time and it holds up extremely so well. There's a reason why Makoto / Yukari is such an enticing ship; the 2 characters just play off each other so well. They have so much chemistry, and it's the first time where the protagonist actually several things in common with Yukari. There's this common sentiment that the romance in Persona sort of plays like a dating sim game, and I honestly can't completely disagree with that sentiment. But my god, the relationship between Makoto and Yukari is just so damn fantastic and natural. I don't even want to get into this bullshit "best girl/waifu" nonsense. Yukari is just an incredibly well written character, full stop.

You're good people, PK. Yukari's really the only character in the game, I think, that's really enhanced by the romance.

Dugna

The whole IT had the same reason all along to help everybody in each dungeon, it was to stop whoever was messing with them. So helping Marie naturally equated into that, so no it's not unnatural for the IT to help her especially because of
her being the container for the fog.
Those interactions with her and the IT helped show the IT that she wasn't bad actually that she was good and just being screwed around with like the rest of them. So overall you can find her meh, but there is no real reason to hate her as a character.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
Lightning is better than Marie. But that's because she is my favorite FF character. lol

But I agree there's no point in comparing them.

It's less about their actual personalities and more about how there are people who hate them both similarly, I guess. I don't think Marie is on Lightning's level, though. She doesn't even star in her own game, let alone have one with her name in the title, plus two others, and Atlus hasn't retconned shit to say she's the first female protagonist like Square did, and nobody's compared her to roses yet, etc.

I'm not a big fan of Marie, but she ain't on Lightning's level.

TBH, One of the only reasons why I liked Marie is because I have a thing for Zettai Ryouiki.

Sophia

To be fair, how many S.Links events are discussed outside of the S.Link itself? Close to 0?

Not many of the other social links shoehorn in random members of the party for the sake of proving the point of "Look! She's not merely tacked on!" :p

I rewatched it for the first time and it holds up extremely so well. There's a reason why Makoto / Yukari is such an enticing ship; the 2 characters just play off each other so well. They have so much chemistry, and it's the first time where the protagonist actually has several things in common with Yukari. There's this common sentiment that the romance in Persona sort of plays like a dating sim game, and I honestly can't completely disagree with that sentiment. But my god, the relationship between Makoto and Yukari is just so damn fantastic and natural. I don't even want to get into this bullshit "best girl/waifu" nonsense. Yukari is just an incredibly well written character, full stop.

Totally agreed, In fact her actions in The Answer made me like her even more than before, haha. Time to debut new avatar.

arue

This is it! This is the post where I become a fully fledged member!

I had to scroll through a LOT of questionable material to find some pictures I liked. Enjoy.

Great 300th post and congrats on being a full-fledged member! I like how the P1 and P2 casts are not forgotten.

Marie is not integrated well. If you told me there was this character that was supposed to be:
- part of the main cast but not part of the main murder mystery storyline
-
derivative of the main villain who isn't actually an antagonist and isn't a crucial part of the plot
-a potential love interest, who challenges originally unchangeable Rise
-a velvet room attendee, who asks you to fix her unrelated problems instead of guiding you with yours

I would think, that's a fanfiction character. Characters usually have single defined roles within a story. Not only that, but they usually have unique roles. Marie being so unoriginal and so divided makes it seem like a desperate attempt at making this character significant in a story that existed without her.

This is without me criticizing the story associated with her
dungeon
, her personality, her design or her social link, which are all bad.

Acid08

Banned
The whole IT had the same reason all along to help everybody in each dungeon, it was to stop whoever was messing with them. So helping Marie naturally equated into that, so no it's not unnatural for the IT to help her especially because of
her being the container for the fog.
Those interactions with her and the IT helped show the IT that she wasn't bad actually that she was good and just being screwed around with like the rest of them. So overall you can find her meh, but there is no real reason to hate her as a character.
Her social link sucks, her dungeon sucks, her design sucks, her poetry, and her integration into the story sucks. You may not think there is not a reason to dislike her but I just listed five reasons why I do so yeah. And before you say "well that's just personal opinion" duh it is, so is everything you're saying. And I haven't been arguing anything but what my opinion is.

I will say you're right about it making sense that they would jump in there to rescue her despite not knowing her at all. I guess the difference is that it feels like the other characters are introduced much more naturally into the fold. For example when Kanji is introduced we find out he already had ties to Yukiko and the IT investigates what he's up to as the story progresses. With Marie her whole part feels very slapped together and hokey, none of it feels natural like the others do. So when they decide to risk their life for her it feels forced because there's no natural progression to it, almost everything leading up to that happens in her social link which is one of the worst in Golden. She is never even mentioned outside of it even though she's supposed to be so integral to the story.

Dantis

... how the hell was anyone suppose to guess that? Let alone sing it? ffs Atlus. ;_;

LOL!

Well we were right about the rest, at least.

absolute territory. it's the danger zone between the skirts and the socks

marie's portrait art looks off. it's the nose

As has been discussed before, a lot of Ultimax's portraits look a bit janky.

I think my biggest problem here is that that expression and pose doesn't suit Marie at all.

BRB, throwing up.

Please, Aigis is far and away the better girlfriend in P3.

/Sophia.

I'm going to have to disagree. Yukari and Minato relationship was pretty much canon , and I found it way more rewarding. Aigis' SL was great and I know it is meant to be romantic but I never considered it like that. Aigis always felt like best friend thing.

Also since were doing art dumps. My favourite Minato pic:

jk01.jpg

Caladrius

Margaret is my favorite, she has that "I don't give a fuck" attitude and subtle eccentricity that I like in people.

Liz's antics are funny, but it makes her feel more like a larger than life character. I have yet to play FemC route so I don't know much about Theo.

Dantis

I actually really dislike Elizabeth. Don't like her design, I think she's badly voiced, and I find her character just uninteresting and silly.

I don't care for Margaret either, but I like her design a lot, at least.

Soma

I always thought Margaret was really boring, both in personality and design.

The previews for her in PQ make her seem more interesting though. Another thing to look forward to.

Top Bottom