• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT6| Where 6 Comes Before 5 (No PQ or P4U spoilers!)

PK Gaming

Come to think of it, Rise would make for a great troll character

She literally screams "LOVE & PEACE" during one of her moves. That would be fun to spam.

EDIT: How could I forgot about "NO TOUCHING"

Setsu00

How do you say sushi then? lol

That's something different. The idea behind the word "sushi" is understood by almost everyone. "Tsundere" however describes a concept that is mostly familiar to anime fans, but that's about it. The average person can tell you what sushi is, but not what a tsundere is.

Moonlight

Banned
Moody, then?

Come to think of it, Rise would make for a great troll character

She literally screams "LOVE & PEACE" during one of her moves. That would be fun to spam.

EDIT: How could I forgot about "NO TOUCHING"
Crushing people with her rhythm game super will be amazing.

kewlmyc

I can understand not translating Tsundere since it's not commonly known, but saying you hate when Japanese words are used in localizations when Atlus is known for keeping Senpai and honorifics seems a little off.

PK Gaming

Moody, then?

Crushing people with her rhythm game super will be amazing.

Ahaha. It's super long too, so even if you'll end up frustrating them.

I started playing Arena around the time online was barren / played by people who were decent at the game, so i'm looking forward to playing Ultimax against people who have no idea what they're doing.

That's something different. The idea behind the word "sushi" is understood by almost everyone. "Tsundere" however describes a concept that is mostly familiar to anime fans, but that's about it. The average person can tell you what sushi is, but not what a tsundere is.

Oh, I understand your point. Thought you didn't like Japanese words per se. It's just a matter of contextualization. :)

Setsu00

....you do play Persona don't you?

... Sigh. I guess my statement was kinda radical and ironic, so this had to happen.

The thing is, it works within Persona. The characters are Japanese, they live in Japan. It ticks me off when someone totally unrelated (e.g. someone from the Americas or Europe) starts to use Japanese words like "kawaii" and "desu" in normal conversations.

Oh, I understand your point. Thought you didn't like Japanese words per se. It's just a matter of contextualization. :)

Quite the opposite, actually! I really like the sound of Japanese and its linguistic structure.

kewlmyc

... Sigh. I guess my statement was kinda radical and ironic, so this had to happen.

The thing is, it works within Persona. The characters are Japanese, they live in Japan. It ticks me off when someone totally unrelated (e.g. someone from the Americas or Europe) starts to use Japanese words like "kawaii" and "desu" in normal conversations.

Naw, I was just being a dick, so I already edited it out.

Still stands that we can't really think of a good translation for Tsundere that sounds right. Same for Senpai, but Atlus is okay with keeping that in. I guess Senpai is more known than a word like tsundere which I wouldn't know the meaning of if not for the anime community.

How do you pronounce "tsundere"?

Been watching anime for years, and I honestly don't know. I think its "sue-deer", but I could be wrong.

Speaking of which, I didn't know the meaning of the word "senpai" before I started to play Persona 3 two years ago. lol

Setsu00

Naw, I was just being a dick, so I already edited it out.

Still stands that we can't really think of a good translation for Tsundere that sounds right. Same for Senpai, but Atlus is okay with keeping that in. I guess Senpai is more known than a word like tsundere which I wouldn't know the meaning of if not for the anime community.

As far as I know, "senpai" translates terribly into English and considering you can actually use that word to indicate the relationship two characters have, I think it's perfectly legitimate to keep the word even in the localized version. Same goes for the suffixes like -kun or -chan. If it adds to the meaning of the dialogue, I'm totally fine with it.

It's the liberal use of Japanese words common among self-proclaimed otaku that I dislike.

Yeah, it's a hard word really. I suggested "mercurial", which is often used to describe someone's mood shifting but there are other synonyms to use. It's finding the one that would stick is the hard part.

kewlmyc

Yeah, it's a hard word really. I suggested "mercurial", which is often used to describe someone's mood shifting but there are other synonyms to use. It's finding the one that would stick is the hard part.

Wait, couldn't "dishonest" work? That's all a tsundere is pretty much.

"Shitty personality" also works :p

Sophia

As far as I know, "senpai" translates terribly into English and considering you can actually use that word to indicate the relationship two characters have, I think it's perfectly legitimate to keep the word even in the localized version. Same goes for the suffixes like -kun or -chan. If it adds to the meaning of the dialogue, I'm totally fine with it.

It's the liberal use of Japanese words common among self-proclaimed otaku that I dislike.

I'm of the opinion that if the setting is Japan it's okay to use words under the condition that they have proper context and that their meaning is quickly-if-not immediately apparent.

In this case, Senpai (which has no real equivalent) is okay to leave in when the context is important to the story. Where as leaving in "Tsundere" would be the ultimate mark of a bad localization as you have tons of ways to translate that.

More Marie shots and lobby shots
tumblr_n8wyktYPjZ1r9s07oo1_1280.jpg

S4hU9mm.jpg

iUBFEnq.jpg

Thanks! Looking good; really excited for this.

Setsu00

Wait, couldn't "dishonest" work? That's all a tsundere is pretty much.

"Shitty personality" also works :p

All this talk about Marie's title is getting me really excited to see the official translation.

I thought it was pronounced like that, but some guy at a convention told me I was wrong and it was pronounced "sue-deer". I don't even know anymore.

I can guarantee you that it's not pronounced "sue-deer".

Levito

Banned
I'm in. PS4 and Kewlmyc is my PSN name. I already played some games with Armada during the Alpha.

I am. Have the beta on PS4, PSN is Spectrasonic

I'm down. My PSN is RockderBanja

I have the PS3 version of the beta. PSN amazingbdg9197

In like Flynn.

Ok folks, here's the PersonaGAF Destiny PS4 clan. Not quite sure how inviting works, but I believe to can just request to join. Will update as I play around with this more.

Reminds me of when I was first playing through Persona 4 when Nanako asked if she could get out the kotatsu.

"Get out the what?"

Of course in this situation there's absolutely no way to localize around it nor really any opportunity to explain it--Japanese kids out shopping for a very Japanese thing. Figured it out through context. Though the orange stereotype talk confuses me to this very day.

But in most cases I'm against leaving Japanese words untranslated, especially words like "tsundere." Actual things with names, whatever, but personality types and nebulous concepts? No. I'd kick honorifics to the curb too if I were in charge. But I'm not.

I want to say Persona 4 leaned on the honorifics more than P3 did, but I may be remembering incorrectly.

kewlmyc

I'm of the opinion that if the setting is Japan it's okay to use words under the condition that they have proper context and that their meaning is quickly-if-not immediately apparent.

In this case, Senpai (which has no real equivalent) is okay to leave in when the context is important to the story. Where as leaving in "Tsundere" would be the ultimate mark of a bad localization as you have tons of ways to translate that.

I agree and disagree at the same time. I can agree that senpai has no real equivalent since it is a title for someone rather than a description like "upperclassman". Upperclassman can be used as a title, but no one really does that.

Where I disagree is that tsundere has a ton of translations. It one of the few words that I think doesn't since that type of personality isn't really seen all that often outside of anime and if it is, there's no good english equivalent word for it since tsundere itself can mean slightly different things. That's slang for you I guess.

Oooh a New guy, QUICK answer the following questions!

Favourite Persona game?
Favourite S Links?
Favourite Persona Design?
What do you think of Arena/The Animation/The Movie/Golden Animation?

And the most important question of all...........
Who is your waifu/husbando?

Welcome to the group, things get strange here sometimes (just look at page 1).

-Persona 4
-Party Member: Kanji. Non party member: Nanako and Dojima (tie)
-Well I love Inzanagi's design. But that's a boring answer so...MARA! PREPARE THY ANUS!...ok seriously, Thoth and Yatsufusa.

ThothP4.jpg

I love everything about this picture. So majestic looking. :D

Yatsufusa.jpg

It reminds me of Okami. A lot to love about that. :)

-Arena is a really cool spinoff, however it feels odd that the creators decided to make the whole thing cannon to tie in with the main story line. I enjoyed the animation despite it feeling a little rushed, although that is to be expected considering Persona is a long as hell game. I never saw the Persona 3 movie so can't comment.

And the Golden Animation, despite it obviously being rushed as fast as Sonic the Hedgehog,

iXIkx5jaG7rJs.gif

the moment THIS scene happened, the show already became legendary to me.

Waifu: Sayoko Uehara!

38-P4-00254.jpg

I don't care if you left me to another country to help kids in Africa...ONE DAY YOU WILL BE MINE! 0_0

You forgot the most important one...

Who Da Man?!

(Also, welcome to the new folks!)

ME!!!

Also thanks very much everyone for the welcome. :D

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
Been watching anime for years, and I honestly don't know. I think its "sue-deer", but I could be wrong.

I think it's "Tsun there"

International phonetic alphabet: tsɯndeɽe

I don't know how to pronounce these phonetic things.. lol

"no means yes"

You might want to watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSc9-q5GMqQ

The guy has a heavy American accent, but it's rather close to the Japanese pronouciation.

"Tsoon-day-ray"

*snort* Or that.

Yeah, I'll just say "Sun-deer". Not like i'll run into any "fanatics".
Can I used weeaboo here

Sophia

I agree and disagree at the same time. I can agree that senpai has no real equivalent since it is a title for someone rather than a description like "upperclassman". Upperclassman can be used as a title, but no one really does that.

Where I disagree is that tsundere has a ton of translations. It one of the few words that I think doesn't since that type of personality isn't really seen all that often outside of anime and if it is, there's no good english equivalent word for it since tsundere itself can mean slightly different things. That's slang for you I guess.

Several suggestions have been given off in this thread, and remember that titles can (and have: See DLC character) be reworked to get around any translation issues. It's not like Senpai where the concept itself is unusual or vauge.

Personally I'd just use something like "The Moody Forest Poet" or something. The hardest part of making it sound good in English would be the "Hollow Forest" location name in it.

Personally I'd just use something like "The Moody Forest Poet" or something. The hardest part of making it sound good in English would be the "Hollow Forest" location name in it.

How about translate tsundere as "complicated"? As far as I know, Marie is a complicated girl.

Top Bottom