• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT6| Where 6 Comes Before 5 (No PQ or P4U spoilers!)

QuadOpto

Huh, out of all the P4GA episodes, which I 've enjoyed-to-tolerated all of, this is the one that really peeved me off.

On contrary to what Corvo said, I felt they spent too god damn long on the exposition of the Hollow Forest and the little pre-confrontation with Marie. I was hoping that, after all the slice of life stuff, which I was definitely fine with, they'd actually devote a whole entire episode to, you know, the dungeon instead of devoting every minute to explaining why they're there.
Oh, this place isn't connected to the TV World? Okay, guess that's good to explain for those who haven't played the game I guess. Oh? There's places there that look like the parts of Inaba you took Marie too? Well yeah, you should all know this by now considering you did this like 8 times already? Oh, if this place disappears and we don't rescue Marie she'll disappear forever? Well...yeah. She just explained that. No reason to waste time repeating it. By the time Marie finally appeared on screen I was yelling "Yes! Kick her ass!" And what was the response I got? No not "fight time" it's "Talk each other into circles like a bunch of twelve years olds time" I could basically sum it up in a strand of maybe 7 lines.

"Hey Marie come back."

"No. I got my memories back
and it turns out I'm a spy for the fog monsters
."

"Oh. Well come back anyway."

"No."

*Narukami the Master Wordsmith walks in.* "Come back stupid."

"No. You're stupid!"

"No. You are!"

Then she runs away.

That whole exchange in it's entirety took up like 3 minutes which is admittedly short compared to the 10 minutes they spent expositing without actually explaining anything important.

Then we finally get to "Fight time" and what do we get? Like maybe 2 minutes of them either getting beat up or beating up Shadows in such a dissonant way that I honestly couldn't actually tell what was going on.
After getting their asses ultimately beat, they somehow, for some reason, were able to just run up to Marie's lair with no explanation whatsoever, and then what we get? More

"Go away!"

"No stupid come back."

"Then something bad's gonna happen"

...And then you know what happens? Something bad happens. To a point where I actually enjoyed the bad thing happening to the crew of characters I like a lot in some kind of twisted catharsis from how aggravating this episode is. I feel like I literally wasted those 24 minutes on something tthat really didn't matter in any way whatsoever.

I do gotta say one thing though, that bugged on another note; What has Yu been doing all this year?! I mean, you'd think he'd be able to max Marie's link pretty quick with how much time he spends with her, then half of Adachi's link is freakin' automated. So why in Izanagi's name would he never of
maxed even one of his party member's S.Links? I mean, come on, they're his closest group of friends who've done all this shit with him yet they don't even have their 2nd-tier Personas?! I can get Arena but this was just sad.

I
hope that that was actually on purpose and that game over was basically saying "YYYYeah you should probably try maxing other social links bud."

Sorry for the long post guys. Just needed to vent some of that rage off.

EDIT:......And it's a page-topper too. My first page topper is me venting about a lame anime episode in a thread about the games the lame anime was based off of. Grrreeeaaattt...>_>;

Marche90

Yikes. I didn't liked the Time to Make History remix :/
I thought Dantis was being Dantis again, but I'm very sorry to have doubted you :lol

You're right.

So, this.

It's nearing Aerith tier.

I'll be honest with you: I dislike having to use spoilers at all, including this...

but this is a lost battle already. We'll have to let it go. I was going to comment that maybe in the future people won't be so sensitive about it, but I remembered how people here dislike getting spoiled even P1 or P2, so I doubt seeing that anytime in this forums.

Ack, look at me, ranting about this again. Sorry, I'll just shut up now :x

Tamanon

Banned
Eh, the second-tier Persona never happened until the [redacted] fight in the original anime either. I think they're just going to go to the third tier in P4GA at the end, skip the second.

I dunno. I think some people want the anime to be a perfect replication of the game story, instead of it's own interpretation. I have no problem with it being different, since it's telling a slightly different story. To each their own, I guess.

Sophia

YES.

Next Chance To Move On

Dazzling Smile

Time To Make History (special mix)

The normal version is miles better than the special mix. Kitajoh makes the songs sound so busy. Time To Make History is very mediocre, but I didn't like the original song all that much, so it's not surprising that I don't think much to the remix.

Yeah. Agree with you about Time To Make History being.... really busy. Wowza. It'd be pretty great if you removed some of the unnecessary instruments.

The opening and endings are pretty nice however.

You can keep complaining, but the rule is there for a reason, and that reason hasn't changed. There are threads where you can be open with that information, but this isn't one of them.

You're absolutely right. We'd never get any new people if we openly spoiled stuff like that.

I thought I had seen a Persona community thread, perfect!

Ok ok, here's my deal...

I just finished P4G not too long ago, it's the first Persona game I've played through. Loved it. So I got P3FES on PSN and while I'm only about 5 hours in, I'm really digging it too....so now I've been toying with the idea of getting the older games.

So what I'm asking you guys is this:

Do Persona 1, P2:IS and P2:EP hold up still? From what I understand, those three games are all directly linked...so I'd have to commit to going through each of them...

I adapt fine to older mechanics in general...but considering the time sink that'd be (on top of finishing P3FES)...is it worth it?

I'm going to give you some admittedly terrible advice, so I hope it helps in some way (but it probably won't). I've tried the older Persona games a couple times and just could not do it. The negotiation systems bugged me, the encounter rate was dumb, and the battles themselves didn't interest me.

That said, there is a TON of worthwhile stuff in these games (going off stuff I've read online, like story synopses and manga adaptations). The characters are interesting, the story arcs are intriguing, and if you play your cards right there are construction noises in them.

So to answer your question, you should definitely try them. They are a major time sink, especially since you're doing P3FES too, but they can give you a big payoff if you like the gameplay. And if you don't like it, then you can just stop and not waste any time at all. They go on sale on the PSN quite a bit, so you could even wait until that happens. Just read up on the gameplay differences if you haven't already, because the old ones don't have social links and do have demon negotiation.

That scene with Yu and Marie """arguing""" was almost physically painful to watch. I didn't like this episode, though it had some good scenes, like the credits sequence.

I have a feeling that they'll try to do something different and
Kusumi-no-Okami will end up being Marie's Shadow and after the fight she'll get her Persona.

You can keep complaining, but the rule is there for a reason, and that reason hasn't changed. There are threads where you can be open with that information, but this isn't one of them.

I was going to write a longer post, but what you said pretty much sums what I think about the matter.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
That scene with Yu and Marie """arguing""" was almost physically painful to watch. I didn't like this episode, though it had some good scenes, like the credits sequence.

I have a feeling that they'll try to do something different and
Kusumi-no-Okami will end up being Marie's Shadow and after the fight she'll get her Persona.

Moron. :p

Verder

Man... The stuff with Marie feels rushed in P4GA.

Honestly her whole story feels rushed. In P4G too. She's an AIGHT character

Tamanon

Banned
Quad. You probably want to spoiler your P4GA thoughts, at least the plot ones. They're pretty big spoilers for P4G's new events.

Zareka

Do Persona 1, P2:IS and P2:EP hold up still? From what I understand, those three games are all directly linked...so I'd have to commit to going through each of them...

Persona 1 really doesn't hold up very well, gameplay wise. The first person dungeon crawling isn't too bad, but the weird grid/position, turn based battle system is such a pain to use that fighting anything just isn't very fun. The story and characters are pretty cool, but the slog of actually playing through it might outweigh that. Also, the updated PSP soundtrack is extremely out of place.

Persona 2 IS (haven't finished EP) can hold up, most of the time. The battle system still feels a bit dated but it's not nearly as bad as Persona 1's. I actually had some fun with IS. The negotiation grind for tarot cards to fuse personas still sucks though but I never found myself needing to do that a whole lot. It's not as long as you'd think either, I finished it way quicker than I ever though I would (assuming you're only playing through the main story).

My suggestion would be skip P1 unless you really want to play it and play P2IS/EP. Personally I haven't really encountered anything that would require playing through P1 to understand, but there are a few things that might be a bit better for those that have.

I hope that all made some sense. Running on 6 hours sleep over 2 days and this is just before I head to sleep. :p
I don't think that's your decision to make.
Is it that much bother to type [Redacted]? Seriously, it's, maybe, a second more of your time and by doing it you're keeping spoilers away for the many new people that join this thread before playing the games. If you wanna talk about it openly that bad, there are threads for doing just that.

CorvoSol

Huh, out of all the P4GA episodes, which I 've enjoyed-to-tolerated all of, this is the one that really peeved me off.

On contrary to what Corvo said, I felt they spent too god damn long on the exposition of the Hollow Forest and the little pre-confrontation with Marie.

You make a good point, I just want to clarify that what I meant was they don't explain what the Hollow Forest is the way the game does. In the game Ameno Sagiri references it and then there's a continued explanation and it all ties in to the larger setting of the TV World. In the show, though, Ameno Sagiri doesn't say anything and they just name drop Hollow Forest as a cool place name.

I definitely agree that they spend too much time talking about things that are obvious. In fact, I dare say that explains why the lead in to the boss fight feels so damn rushed. Half the episode feels like it's just Margaret and Yu walking and talking about the dungeon.

So what I'm asking you guys is this:

I adapt fine to older mechanics in general...but considering the time sink that'd be (on top of finishing P3FES)...is it worth it?

P1 holds up better than P2:ISP, but of the three P2:EP is probably the most user friendly. That said, in terms of plot, I prefer P1 to P2 EP to P2 IS.

It's still best to play them in order, though.

cj_iwakura

Is it that much bother to type [Redacted]? Seriously, it's, maybe, a second more of your time and by doing it you're keeping spoilers away for the many new people that join this thread before playing the games. If you wanna talk about it openly that bad, there are threads for doing just that.

I haven't openly said his name either, you'll notice.

I just think it's being needlessly cautionary when we were discussing it openly for weeks if not months then one day it's suddenly a big deal.

Sophia

Something to keep in mind too is that we have a lot of new people (to NeoGAF, or to Persona, or both....) showing up in this thread often. There is a pretty good chance that you will run into these people in the future, especially if they continue to participate in this thread and become regular productive members. A little bit of respect now in regards to spoilers means that if and when you converse with these people in the future, they're going to be a lot nicer to you.

I just think it's being needlessly cautionary when we were discussing it openly for weeks if not months then one day it's suddenly a big deal.

I'm not sure what you're remembering, but it is incorrect. We have never openly discussed the antagonist of Persona 4 in these threads. It has always been required to be spoiler tagged. What happened was simply a clarification of the stance in regards to Ultimax spoilers.

Tamanon

Banned

Huh? That shit's been spoilered the life of the community thread.

cj_iwakura

I'm not sure what you're remembering, but it is incorrect. We have never openly discussed the antagonist of Persona 4 in these threads. It has always been required to be spoiler tagged. What happened was simply a clarification of the stance in regards to Ultimax spoilers.

I was openly using his name when speculating that he was going to be added into the game.

Anyway, I don't think talking about him as a character in a fighting game is a big deal, especially when Atlus themselves do it. (Hell they may as well slap a banner on his lapel.)

Sophia

I was openly using his name when speculating that he was going to be added into the game.

Anyway, I don't think talking about him as a character in a fighting game is a big deal, especially when Atlus themselves do it. (Hell they may as well slap a banner on his lapel.)

Then you got lucky that nobody called you out on it. Because it has never been acceptable in these threads.

That said, if you wish to discuss the fighting game aspect, you are free to mark spoilers with no penalty. Or you can go to the Ultimax thread where such spoilers are not needed. :p

cj_iwakura

Then you got lucky that nobody called you out on it. Because it has never been acceptable in these threads.

I guess so, and I'll leave it at that. I wish that kind of discretion got exerted with games that are actually new, like unlabeled spoilers in the BlazBlue thread.

(Which turned out being false, but still.)

Mdesilva

I guess so, and I'll leave it at that. I wish that kind of discretion got exerted with games that are actually new, like unlabeled spoilers in the BlazBlue thread.

(Which turned out being false, but still.)
But the Blazblue thread is really small compared to P-GAF. Not to brag, but we're one of the biggest communities here (as far as I know).

Also, most Blazblue players don't really care enough about the story to bother adding a rule like that, soooooooo…

cj_iwakura

But the Blazblue thread is really small compared to P-GAF. Not to brag, but we're one of the biggest communities here (as far as I know).

Also, most Blazblue players don't really care enough about the story to bother adding a rule like that, soooooooo…

In my experience the percentage of players that care about story is probably the highest in the BlazBlue scene.

Style

Banned
Revealing a culprit's identity in a murder case is a huge no go.

ibmeESGdWO3mY7.jpg

P4GA Episode Baka
Nope. Just a summation of all the things wrong with this series. Precious time being spent on unnecessary exposition, weird focus on a silly argument that had no gravitas, and an even stranger ending. What else actually happened? F.

I find it oddly unnerving how much my opinion of Marie has changed since the show began. I actually have to force myself to consider Anime!Marie as a separate entity. I had virtually zero problem with her before. Now I just generally feel bad for her. What little (good) characterization she once had has been assassinated. As a wise man once said, DISAPPOINTED!

Thanks for the thoughts, it was helpful.

Seems like there's an agreement on P1 being rough around the edges...but a good point was made about them going on sale often, I actually snagged P3FES when it was on sale for 2.50...I'll hold off on them for now and just worry about P3 for now, and should they go on sale I'll grab the other three.

Worst case scenario is I don't like them, but on sale it's worth the shot.

Thanks again!

Mobile Suit Gooch

P4GA Episode Baka
Nope. Just a summation of all the things wrong with this series. Precious time being spent on unnecessary exposition, weird focus on a silly argument that had no gravitas, and an even stranger ending. What else actually happened? F.

I find it oddly unnerving how much my opinion of Marie has changed since the show began. I actually have to force myself to consider Anime!Marie as a separate entity. I had virtually zero problem with her before. Now I just generally feel bad for her. What little (good) characterization she once had has been assassinated. As a wise man once said, DISAPPOINTED!

Honestly, I prefer game Marie to anime Marie. (There I said it.)

Mobile Suit Gooch

Isn't that the general consensus?

I would be hard pressed to find someone who prefers anime Marie. Don't feel ashamed lol

I haven't even played Golden yet, but I agree with you :lol

You're not alone. I don't think anyone likes Marie Sue. Especially not when she takes everyone's roles and focus. :p

Yeah, I mean I actually found Marie's dialogue in the game a bit funny. They've could have done better for her in the anime. or some shit. like I don't know...Doing kung-fu with Chie or some sowing with Kanji. *shurgs*

Mobile Suit Gooch

Does anyone think the other way around? Game Marie might be a poorly implemented character, but she doesn't go tromping over the rest of the game the way anime Marie does. Game Marie can at least share the limelight.

I didn't. It took me a long time to understand what most people were saying. "Marie Sue"

Sophia

Remember: This is the animation where Chie dies in the first episode because the animators were apparently too lazy to animate her in the scene.

QuadOpto

Edited my post from earlier to cover up any major P4G spoilers. Sorry about that.

Sadly :/

Never forget

ibkvR4SPJhhrBd.gif

"Yosuke ponders if Yu is truly God."

Ohhhh I guess I'm not the only one that noticed in the 1st episode when Narukami basically leveled a whole portion of the TV World leaving him, Teddie and Yosuke as the only survivors?

That's also one of my favorite moments in the anime, even if it doesn't make any sense and erases Chie from existence.

Top Bottom