• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT6| Where 6 Comes Before 5 (No PQ or P4U spoilers!)

Tiu Neo

So, each character has their own dancing style, nice. I wonder if they'll have different movements for each song, or if each song will have one specific character, and if you choose others, the character will mimic the song's character movements. From the trailer, it looks like it's the latter.

2015 was expected, but it's still disappointing.

Tamanon

Banned
I wonder if the release date of P4D slipped behind P5. That could definitely change a lot of our marketing guesses for when information drops.

The animations looked very fluid, and the graphics looked great. Yes it did slip to 2015 but P4D is shaping up to be a fun game to play. Also Break Record finally shows itself again. Now, after seeing both trailers I have to say that both P4D and Break Record look pretty sharp. I know the latter looked very CGI, but I have to wonder if P5 is gonna borrow from either art style for its graphics, or if it was the opposite, and they used P5s engine to help out with either ofthe 2 games, I mean both should be very achievable on both last and current gen. Just throwing some ideas out there :p

Yeah, whoops, meant the epilogue. Fixed!

P4G spoilers, I guess?
Yeah, I meant Kanji's dyed hair, Yosuke's hair cut, Chie's longer hair etc. If this is set after the epilogue then they seem to have just completely forgotten the design changes.

I don't see the issue,
just like they changed their appearence between P4's ending and the epilogue, they could've done the same between the epilogue and DAN.
It's a moot point.

Meia

I wonder if the release date of P4D slipped behind P5. That could definitely change a lot of our marketing guesses for when information drops.

Oh, I can just *imagine* all the complaints now with P4D's delay if it comes out before Persona 5 still that it was the thing that caused P5's delay...

I don't see the issue,
just like they changed their appearence between P4's ending and the epilogue, they could've done the same between the epilogue and DAN.
It's a moot point.

It's somewhat moot, but yet
a lot of those changes reflected growth for these characters(Chie taking on more feminine traits(as does Naoto to a larger degree), Kanji taking a more normal look so strangers could warm up to him, etc). This kind of thing isn't a good thing to really go back on, especially since the actual RPG is supposed to be your main canon flagship for the characters and Atlus really insists EVERYTHING must be canon.

Of course, there's nothing stopping the characters from deciding they didn't like the changes in appearance, and there's also the idea that we don't even really know if the epilogue takes place in the same year(though it's strongly hinted it is).

I don't see the issue,
It's a moot point.

So they
change to show how much they've grown in the epilogue just to change back?
That sounds like a terrible idea.

CorvoSol

Everybody's worried about series consistency or something and I'm just over here like "That smirk and wink Chie made. So good." Game looks cheesy as heck and I wouldn't have it any other way. Gonna be a load of fun.

Naoto dancing would be so awkward, though.

Lunar15

Is it just me or was there a significant drop in quality of the characters and their animations in this trailer? Something looked off, presentation wise.

Also, I demand to see Yukiko. She got shafted, big time.

Everybody's worried about series consistency or something and I'm just over here like "That smirk and wink Chie made. So good." Game looks cheesy as heck and I wouldn't have it any other way. Gonna be a load of fun.

Naoto dancing would be so awkward, though.

Naoto should do the robot

So at this point, the timeline of P4 is all sorts of confusing.

So I think its something along the lines of:

P4 - April 2011 to March 2012
PQ - Late October 2011
P4Arena - May 2012
P4Ultimax - May 2012 (couple days after Arena)
P4DAN - Possibly July/August 2012
P4G Epilogue - Possibly September 2012

P4DAN doesnt have the Epilogue designs (as shown by Kanji having blonde hair) so its clear to say that it takes place BEFORE the Epilogue scene of P4G.

Now the Epilogue scene never explicitly stated when it occurs, the date graphic just fast forwards and fades out around the end of August 2012. However, the weather is clearly sunny and the gang are wearing 'summery' clothes as part of their Epilogue designs. This leads me to believe that it is taking place in the summer months, but there is no indication of which year it is. For all I know, this could be a year or so later, but Yosuke saying "Things got kinda nuts when you last visited in May", sort of indicates that this is still 2012.

So P4DAN, if I recall correctly, has some information that says it takes place in the summer after P4. So, after P4, but before the Epilogue gives us April, May, June, July and August 2012 if we assume that the Epilogue is in September. April is spring and the Arena timeline is the first time Yu comes back to Inaba since P4's end, so that's ruled out. May is Arena/Ultimax so I think we can forget about that, since there is no mention of the events of P4DAN in either game. That leaves June, July and August. Now, summer 2012 was technically June 20th to September 21st. Summer break in P4 was 27th of July to 31st of August, so I'm going to assume that P4DAN takes place in this window because otherwise, Yu would be back at school in the city and not in Inaba.

Any thoughts?

LX_Theo

Banned
So at this point, the timeline of P4 is all sorts of confusing.

So I think its something along the lines of:

P4 - April 2011 to March 2012
PQ - Late October 2011
P4Arena - May 2012
P4Ultimax - May 2012 (couple days after Arena)
P4DAN - Possibly July/August 2012
P4G Epilogue - Possibly September 2012

P4DAN doesnt have the Epilogue designs (as shown by Kanji having blonde hair) so its clear to say that it takes place BEFORE the Epilogue scene of P4G.

Now the Epilogue scene never explicitly stated when it occurs, the date graphic just fast forwards and fades out around the end of August 2012. However, the weather is clearly sunny and the gang are wearing 'summery' clothes as part of their Epilogue designs. This leads me to believe that it is taking place in the summer months, but there is no indication of which year it is. For all I know, this could be a year or so later, but Yosuke saying "Things got kinda nuts when you last visited in May", sort of indicates that this is still 2012.

So P4DAN, if I recall correctly, has some information that says it takes place in the summer after P4. So, after P4, but before the Epilogue gives us April, May, June, July and August 2012 if we assume that the Epilogue is in September. April is spring and the Arena timeline is the first time Yu comes back to Inaba since P4's end, so that's ruled out. May is Arena/Ultimax so I think we can forget about that, since there is no mention of the events of P4DAN in either game. That leaves June, July and August. Now, summer 2012 was technically June 20th to September 21st. Summer break in P4 was 27th of July to 31st of August, so I'm going to assume that P4DAN takes place in this window because otherwise, Yu would be back at school in the city and not in Inaba.

Any thoughts?
Isn't the epilogue heavily implied to take place at the beginning of Summer Break (based on the fact that if Yu was planning to com visit, it would probably be right away)? I generally think its a safe assumption that the epilogue comes before DAN

I simply think they just didn't think too much about it and wanted to stick to the original designs. People are used to seeing those designs and only a select few actually saw the epilogue. Changing their design to the epilogue's would, I guess, cause confusion amongst those who never saw it. Idk just another thought.

I simply think they just didn't think too much about it and wanted to stick to the original designs.

Pretty much, people know and love the original designs so they stuck with them, best bet is to hope that there are epilogue costumes for each of the characters if they aren't in as costumes then I guess wait till P5 arena for new designs.

Tamanon

Banned
I mean, it's the same basic concept as the characters all having their original personas in Arena and Ultimax.

And yeah, Yosuke is there to throw down.

Is it just me or was there a significant drop in quality of the characters and their animations in this trailer? Something looked off, presentation wise.

yea, i kinda feel the same way, dingo shouldnt have BAILED!

so p4dan sits here:

p4 start --> pq --> p4 ending ---> p4dancing --> p4arenaultimax --> p4epilogue scene

so basically still good, nobody actually knowing when exactly p4epilogue occurred, it just occured SOMETIME during summer the same year of the ending of the game - all is well

Setsu00

so p4dan sits here:

p4 start --> pq --> p4 ending ---> p4dancing --> p4arenaultimax --> p4epilogue scene

so basically still good, nobody actually knowing when exactly p4epilogue occurred, it just occured SOMETIME during summer the same year of the ending of the game - all is well

Makes no sense since Ultimax was mentioned to lead into Dancing all Night. This was confirmed in some of the magazine articles for P4U2.

Sophia

if even katsura hashino left, then basically quality control is gone? hope this doesnt mean p4dancing will be a shallow crappy game. really what is UP with all these atlus problems! i hope they can handle p5 right after seeing all these trouble they have with mere spinoffs

Friendly reminder that there are 121 employees at Atlus. If we're not counting Hashino, then it seems reasonable to believe that of the remaining 120 employees, one of them is competent. :p

so p4dan sits here:

DAN is after Arena/Ultimax.

DAN is after Arena/Ultimax.

Ok... Then 2 ways to reconcile...

1) either p4g epilogue did not occur; or
2) ignore p4au and assume p4dan happens before golden epilogue

Doubting that p4dan will actually make explicit reference to p4arena in any way....... Unless p3 characters are involved...... Really hoping this is not the case

LX_Theo

Banned

Doubting that p4dan will actually make explicit reference to p4arena in any way....... Unless p3 characters are involved...... Really hoping this is not the case

That's stupid. The best way to "reconcile" is to assume their looks aren't static after P4 Epilogue.

You're giving it too much thought, like others said it makes much more sense to use the designs everyone knows than designs that were only featured a few minutes in the enhanced version of the game.
So maybe Chie decided to cut her hair again for this event or whatever, it's not a big issue.

That's stupid. The best way to "reconcile" is to assume their looks aren't static after P4 Epilogue.

That's what I said initially but the reason is obviously the above. But yeah, that's how fans should think of it.

Windam

Scaley member
Yukiko will be getting her very own trailer.

BELIEVE.

I guess Naoto, too.
Makes sense to throw Chie in with Yosuke and Kanji since she's the worst girl to choose.

You're giving it too much thought, like others said it makes much more sense to use the designs everyone knows than designs that were only featured a few minutes in the enhanced version of the game.
So maybe Chie decided to cut her hair again for this event or whatever, it's not a big issue.

Yea what u saying is also good reconcile too, for this game, because of certain happenings, everyone should go back to how they originally looking to effectively fight the new threat.

This will explain why everyone went back to usual style, and p4mc wears the school uniform!!!!

So ur theory is good for reconcile - to fight the new shadow threat, most characters go back to usual style

Obviously each character had to come up with a specific type of look for this event and that's how you should think about. Regardless of their style before this event, they had to come up with something specific just for this and the result of that is what you see.

Yea what u saying is also good reconcile too, for this game, because of certain happenings, everyone should go back to how they originally looking to effectively fight the new threat.

This will explain why everyone went back to usual style, and p4mc wears the school uniform!!!!

So ur theory is good for reconcile - to fight the new shadow threat, most characters go back to usual style

No need to be sarcastic, it makes sense from a designer/marketing point of view to use the designs everyone is familiar with and have become iconic at this point.

Squire

Banned

I thought the same thing. Definitely looks worse graphically. Atlus is clearly making this themselves now.

Not to be a buzzkill, but I'm not really married to the idea like that. They could've cancelled this once Dingo bailed out and just put that staff on P5.

Sophia

I am extremely disappointed that Dingo left the project. They were my source of confidence that the product would be top-notch, even if I wasn't terribly interested at the moment.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
PeskyDescriptiveDungenesscrab.gif

I think the simplest explanation is that it takes place before the epilogue, as all evidence that pointed to it being after were a bunch of "probablies."

Or it doesn't matter, because I am willing to bet the game doesn't give two shits about canon and shouldn't be taken seriously because it's not supposed to be.

CorvoSol

Naoto should do the robot

Snrk.

I think the simplest explanation is that it takes place before the epilogue, as all evidence that pointed to it being after were a bunch of "probablies."

Or it doesn't matter, because I am willing to bet the game doesn't give two shits about canon and shouldn't be taken seriously because it's not supposed to be.

This'd be my vote, yeah.

In retrospect, I think Naoto probably could dance, but it'd have to be the kind of dancing she does in the P4G opening, because I can't see her doing some of the bouncier kinds of moves we have going on here.

I thought the same thing. Definitely looks worse graphically. Atlus is clearly making this themselves now.

Not to be a buzzkill, but I'm not really married to the idea like that. They could've cancelled this once Dingo bailed out and just put that staff on P5.

Maybe the decision to keep going without Dingo was made based on how much of the game was already done by then. If they were even 70% complete, it might be a waste to throw that all away. Besides, it's possible that they had support from the rest of Sega to finish, so it's not a guarantee that the staff finishing DAN could have even gone to P5. This is all speculation obviously, just offering a different perspective.

Marche90

Not really. Dingo had a good track record, so it's more disappointment that they left then thinking the final product will suck.

Had is a keyword. Try searching for their last game, Love Live School Idol Paradise :/

But definitely agree with you all, Not only there was a quality drop in the models, now even the characters' movement looks jerky.

Sophia

Had is a keyword. Try searching for their last game, Love Live School Idol Paradise :/

But definitely agree with you all, Not only there was a quality drop in the models, now even the characters' movement looks jerky.

Yeah, I heard about the issues with Love Live.

I hope the final product will be good despite the lack of Dingo's involvement in it. At the very least, we know the music will deliver. Thank you based Daisuke Asakura. :D

Dantis

I'M FINALLY HOME. Many thoughts on P4D, but a short summary is "Looks very cool, shit Hashino and Dingo left, the future is uncertain".

Trailer was dynamite though.

FluxWaveZ

It's possible the Persona series might be going radio silent on us in terms of game news after this TGS, which hasn't been the case for a pretty long time. At least we still have two games to look forward to this year, outside of Japan.

Top Bottom