• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT6| Where 6 Comes Before 5 (No PQ or P4U spoilers!)

I haven't actually watched the stuff, but based off of the posts I guess the views were mixed? I haven't played the series, but at least DeSu game wasn't cancelled. Shame about DAN, though I admittedly wasn't interested in playing it (though it looks pretty funny/silly). Hopefully it still turns out pretty good.

Has anyone gotten completed Golden Arena Mode's hardest course? I was watching someone on youtube and I think he's a pretty good player (though I don't really watch tournaments or anything and have never played myself). However, the final boss on Risky seems to be Score Attack Elizabeth with even more buffs that come from skills in Golden Arena Mode, and she was basically destroying him in a few hits even though he hit the level cap (at 99 he's 9 levels above her but apparently when he first reached her he was in the 70s).

Yeah, it's definitely going to be weird not getting weekly trailers or details out of Japan. The media push for PQ and P4AU was fun though, so hopefully DAN and P5 start before too long.

Dantis

BEGIN DANTIS' P4D THOUGHTS.

First of all, there seems to be a lot of confusion about when the game takes place. P4D was announced to take place six months after the P4 incident, putting it in September 2012 (As an aside, I think September is probably around when the game was originally intended to be released). The epilogue has to be before this, because (aside from the date slider fading out in July), they make reference to the epilogue being the first time that they've met up since the incident in May. Even if we assume that this is because P4D wasn't planned at this point, it's still relevant because there's no way the P4 crew are only meeting up once per year.

Secondly, the developers. DINGO aren't credited, Wada is now the director and the producer and Koduka is now the composer. Meguro would have likely only contributed a small amount of new music, but even so, it's still a disappointment, particularly considering my dislike of Koduka's music. Hashino not being the producer is kind of a wild card in that we don't know how it will go. There's never been an original Persona game since P3 that he hasn't worked on. It could be disaster or it could be fine. I also have a feeling that he'll be involved to some degree, because he has a funny habit of showing up in credits lists for Atlus games (Like Radiant Historia, for example). DINGO's departure concerns me though, because their presence was almost a seal of quality, similarly to how you knew that Arena would be a mechanically sound fighter because Arc were behind it. P-Studio have never made a dancing game.

Now then, here's where things get somewhat interesting. Here's a comparison between the old and new trailer:

YsAHTrB.jpg

There's a lot of differences in how it looks, and it carries throughout the trailer. I'm pretty sure that Narukami's and Rise's models have been either redone completely or heavily modified, the lighting engine looks completely different and the animation style is also different. There's a much heavier emphasis on facial expressions and everything isn't animated as smoothly as it was before (I like the new look a lot more, the faces are great).

But that's not the really interesting bit. The really interesting bit is what's there that isn't different. Which is... kind of everything. Everything in this trailer was announced or shown back in November. They're on the original trailer's stage, featuring all the original trailer's announced characters and a song announced in the original trailer...

On top of that, the game actually shows less gameplay than the first trailer. The original trailer showed footage of Pursuing My True Self, where this was all just promo stuff, with no in-game to speak of.

This is complete speculation, but I think either a) nothing has been done on the game for quite some time or b) Atlus has restarted the game from scratch, and has only just reached the point that they were at last year with DINGO. Whichever, I am fairly confident that development was at the very least stalled and only just restarted. Wada has been working on Ultimax, so presumably P4D only restarted once work on Ultimax was (at least mostly) completed.

CorvoSol

P4GA11

This episode's sins were prodigious, numerous, biblical, and lengthy. I'm not going to go into all of them. I mean, I could show you how it rips off EVA and Utena, and I could rant and rave about what a load of bullshit it was that they skipped the Phase 2 Personas for no reason or how they completely bunk up Narukami getting
The World
, but instead I'm just going to cut to the chase and show you why Persona 4 Golden The Animation is an absolute pile of bullshit.

MOTHER FUCKING WHALE FEATHERS.

FluxWaveZ

Two episodes left. Nothing ever touched episode 6 for me. Pretty bad series in general; Marie is not a compelling enough character to support this whole thing.

At least, with the end of this series, it should be a final goodbye to the original P4 storyline.

Verder

Two episodes left. Nothing ever touched episode 6 for me. Pretty bad series in general; Marie is not a compelling enough character to support this whole thing.

At least, with the end of this series, it should be a final goodbye to the original P4 storyline.

Ah fuck... For some reason I think they ain't done with persona 4. Gotta milk that cash cow

It's somewhat moot, but yet
a lot of those changes reflected growth for these characters(Chie taking on more feminine traits(as does Naoto to a larger degree), Kanji taking a more normal look so strangers could warm up to him, etc). This kind of thing isn't a good thing to really go back on, especially since the actual RPG is supposed to be your main canon flagship for the characters and Atlus really insists EVERYTHING must be canon.

Of course, there's nothing stopping the characters from deciding they didn't like the changes in appearance, and there's also the idea that we don't even really know if the epilogue takes place in the same year(though it's strongly hinted it is).
I agree with you. I didn't know P4D was supposed to happen after the Epilogue. I always assumed it occured before. Doesn't make much sense to revert their looks. Well, if Atlus wants to give "canon" a real meaning, they should pay attention to simple details like this. But whatever, let's dance! XD

This is complete speculation, but I think either a) nothing has been done on the game for quite some time or b) Atlus has restarted the game from scratch, and has only just reached the point that they were at last year with DINGO. Whichever, I am fairly confident that development was at the very least stalled and only just restarted. Wada has been working on Ultimax, so presumably P4D only restarted once work on Ultimax was (at least mostly) completed.

It's speculation but I don't think you're far off, as you pointed out the trailer only really elaborated on things that the original reveal showed most notably being the character models for Chie,Kanji and Yosuke but the thing that stuck out about the models is that each character is just re using the same dance moves, there's no real variety like there was for Yu in the reveal trailer which gives the impression those characters are still real early.

Dantis

It looks like they restarted from scratch and the game looks worse, visually.
Hmm? You realise the one on the right is the new one, right? I think it looks way better. The faces on the old one were dead and lifeless, now they're animated like Catherine was.

Hmm? You realise the one on the right is the new one, right? I think it looks way better. The faces on the old one were dead and lifeless, now they're animated like Catherine was.

The face looks better but the outfit looks worse. Now this could be because of the lighting changes, but the colours just dont stand out as well as they used to. (I'm just using the two pics posted as comparison)

Also, compare the lines in the silver sections of her outfit, in the original they are nice and clear, but in the new picture they seem to fade in and out.

Plus, and I hate the fact that I noticed this, her chest is now completely flat and smooth, whereas before it had........ well lets just say 'it stood out' more. I'm not saying which one of these is preferable, I'm just saying its a difference.

BEGIN DANTIS' P4D THOUGHTS.Secondly, the developers. DINGO aren't credited, Wada is now the director and the producer and Koduka is now the composer. Meguro would have likely only contributed a small amount of new music, but even so, it's still a disappointment, particularly considering my dislike of Koduka's music. Hashino not being the producer is kind of a wild card in that we don't know how it will go. There's never been an original Persona game since P3 that he hasn't worked on. It could be disaster or it could be fine. I also have a feeling that he'll be involved to some degree, because he has a funny habit of showing up in credits lists for Atlus games (Like Radiant Historia, for example). DINGO's departure concerns me though, because their presence was almost a seal of quality, similarly to how you knew that Arena would be a mechanically sound fighter because Arc were behind it. P-Studio have never made a dancing game.

I'm gonna agree to disagree on Koduka, I actually like his music, he's the one that composed the Junes Theme for Persona 4, SMT IV soundtrack, and among some of the other stuff he has done at ATLUS. So I have faith in him that he'll do a good job on P4D, but that's my opinion.

Dantis

The face looks better but the outfit looks worse. Now this could be because of the lighting changes, but the colours just dont stand out as well as they used to. (I'm just using the two pics posted as comparison)

Also, compare the lines in the silver sections of her outfit, in the original they are nice and clear, but in the new picture they seem to fade in and out.

Plus, and I hate the fact that I noticed this, her chest is now completely flat and smooth, whereas before it had........ well lets just say 'it stood out' more. I'm not saying which one of these is preferable, I'm just saying its a difference.

The lighting is miles better on the new one though.

Squire

Banned

Yeah, I feel the exact opposite.

It could be alright, but I'm definitely not confident like I was before. They don't have experience making a game like this. My confidence was in Dingo developing and Atlus supervising. I would've been just as skeptical of Arena if Atlus had done that in house.

Nimby

Banned
I'm gonna agree to disagree on Koduka, I actually like him music, he's the one that composed the Junes Theme for Persona 4, SMT IV soundtrack, and among some of the other stuff he has done at ATLUS. So I have faith in him that he'll do a good job on P4D, but that's my opinion.

SMT IV soundtrack was amazing, so I am willing to put my faith in him too.

baekshi

Banned
But that's not the really interesting bit. The really interesting bit is what's there that isn't different. Which is... kind of everything. Everything in this trailer was announced or shown back in November. They're on the original trailer's stage, featuring all the original trailer's announced characters and a song announced in the original trailer...

On top of that, the game actually shows less gameplay than the first trailer. The original trailer showed footage of Pursuing My True Self, where this was all just promo stuff, with no in-game to speak of.

This is worrying...you know.

Iin the first trailer they announced; Hero, Rise, Kanami, Yosuke, Chie and Kanji....

It took them a year to show the other 3 models.... not a good sign.

Dantis

It could be alright, but I'm definitely not confident like I was before. They don't have experience making a game like this. My confidence was in Dingo developing and Atlus supervising. I would've been just as skeptical of Arena if Atlus had done that in house.

I agree completely that the gameplay could be terrible now, but the faces still look miles better in Atlus' version. Rise looks just like she does in the P4 art.

Iin the first trailer they announced; Hero, Rise, Kanami, Yosuke, Chie and Kanji....

This is pretty much exactly my point, haha. I think they don't have anything else, and they're starting it up again now.

I think we won't see it until after P5.

The lighting is miles better on the new one though.

In terms of the shadowing and gradients, sure, I agree. And I could be wrong, it may not be the lighting affecting the colours, but on the new one, the pink, yellow and white just dont stand out as much as they used to.

It could be due to the fact that the Vita has had a hardware change since the first announcement. The old version could be optimised for the old OLED screen, whereas the new version could be optimised for the LCD screen.

This picture shows a comparison between the two and its kinda similar to the way the old and new DAN trailers look.

This could have something to do with DINGO having very troubled development on Love Live! I think they were focusing on that games issues before properly starting work on DAN, and even after all of that the game came out to very mediocre reviews (24/40). It could be that DINGO either quit on DAN to work on bettering other installments of Love Live! (apparently its quite a big franchise in itself) or Atlus wasn't happy with how development was going on DAN due to the issues they were having, and decided to drop DINGO and go it alone.

This is all speculation on my part though so dont take what I say as fact.

Sophia

The face and lightning are better, but (as Reanimation noted) the rest of the outfit has lost a significant amount of detail. It's especially noticeable on the zipper like parts of Rise's outfit. They're much smaller, much blurrier, not as high resolution, etc.

Dantis

The face and lightning are better, but (as Reanimation noted) the rest of the outfit has lost a significant amount of detail. It's especially noticeable on the zipper like parts of Rise's outfit. They're much smaller, much blurrier, not as high resolution, etc.

When you're actually playing the game, the face (particularly now that it's well animated) and the lighting are going to be much more noticeable than the texture resolution on her zipper, to be fair.

I'll just keep saying that I want this remix in the game.

And Naoto. Give me Naoto.

I'm still excited for this game though.

I really hope Naoto isn't dressed like a guy.

I'm now confident that it won't be a silly fan service outfit, at least.

RedGraveXIII

Neo Member
P4DAN's been off my radar, so I'm really not expecting much out of it, I'm fairly sure it'll be good though. I'm forming a barrier around my heart to protect it from disappointment.

Dantis

Watch, Naoto has the only silly fanservice outfit. :p

Also what's your opinion on that godly Your Affection remake? :D

Possibly, but I'll be surprised. Chie's outfit is super good. I even wonder if the difference between Rise's outfit and Chie's is due to DINGO dropping out. I think Naoto will have a blue shirt on with rolled up sleeves and tartan trousers. Hopefully she'll look like a lady though.

I thought it was great. I thought the whole new trailer was brilliant. I even thought the dances were miles better in this one. They seemed less perfect and boy band-ish.

Acid08

Banned

Thing is we actually don't know if Atlus themselves are shouldering all of the development duty right now. Still betting that Sega is going to take on part of it since they do have a team that has developed well regarded music games.

baekshi

Banned
This could have something to do with DINGO having very troubled development on Love Live! I think they were focusing on that games issues before properly starting work on DAN, and even after all of that the game came out to very mediocre reviews (24/40). It could be that DINGO either quit on DAN to work on bettering other installments of Love Live! (apparently its quite a big franchise in itself) or Atlus wasn't happy with how development was going on DAN due to the issues they were having, and decided to drop DINGO and go it alone.

This is all speculation on my part though so dont take what I say as fact.

The page only suggested Dingo (Tatsuya Shoji) was directing and producing.

Remember Sega also did project 575 (プロジェクト575) which got 29/40.

Sophia

That would be super weird, so I hope it comes out before P5. It would have been like Square Enix releasing another XIII releated game after XV comes out. The fanbase has already moved on, why go back?

Didn't stop them when they released Persona 3 Portable after Persona 4. :p

Dantis

That would be super weird, so I hope it comes out before P5. It would have been like Square Enix releasing another XIII releated game after XV comes out. The fanbase has already moved on, why go back?
There's also the possibility that they're picking up where they left off, and this is the start of a media blitz.

Obviously each character had to come up with a specific type of look for this event and that's how you should think about. Regardless of their style before this event, they had to come up with something specific just for this and the result of that is what you see.

No need to be sarcastic, it makes sense from a designer/marketing point of view to use the designs everyone is familiar with and have become iconic at this point.

There is no sarcastic? I saying your theory is actually good for reconciling, BECAUSE p4mc wearing the uniform, suggesting that that they do have to go back to old style for some reason. Not sure why you think so

I still don't getting when p4dan takes place, where does it definitively state that it takes place after the epilogue???

I'm talking about the kind of info that can be obtained easily, but I can't find anywhere it takes place after epilogue. And p4mc wearing uniform, so uniform is essential to the dancing story then?

Why is the new trailer yellow light heavy? The old trailer seemed less washed out and yellow no?

Nachos

There is no sarcastic? I saying your theory is actually good for reconciling, BECAUSE p4mc wearing the uniform, suggesting that that they do have to go back to old style for some reason. Not sure why you think so

Quick question, Bird, if you don't mind me asking: Is English your native language? Your writing style reminds me of what I've seen on some international forums I sometimes visit.

Quick question, Bird, if you don't mind me asking: Is English your native language? Your writing style reminds me of what I've seen on some international forums I sometimes visit.

yeah not first language so sometimes can be misunderstand, like i was not being sarcastic but i think may have implied wrong way

DINGO updated their page for P4D (http://dingo.co.jp/blog_persona4d_00001.html)

Only thing different is that instead of Index Corporation's website URL being in the description, the new ATLUS corporate site is in the description. They probably forgot to update this after April 1, 2014, when ATLUS became a company again and the IPs became part of SEGA. They were late to update the banner copyright text, too. What I'm saying is: Why not delete the page if you're not working on the project anymore? Instead they updated corporate URLs.

Before Today said:

Today said:

I don't get what's going on, honestly.

Top Bottom