• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT6| Where 6 Comes Before 5 (No PQ or P4U spoilers!)

Finally got him to stand upright, though took more water than I was anticipating.

17D2E7BC-4A82-4166-868A-C98A67877F0C_zpsocq8vmya.jpg

FluxWaveZ

That was never what was said- he said that some people liked things about Arena hetter, not necessarily the game overall.

Oh yeah... I guess so. On the damage front, though, I don't really feel like much has changed, especially since rounds tend to last the same amount of time as they did in P4A, but I might be misremembering my time there. There are the extreme examples of Shadows—which are built around that due to Shadow Frenzy—but I can't say I've noticed it aside from that. There are characters like Minazuki who have some crazy damage output for easy confirms—maybe that's the kind of stuff I should think of—but, then again, characters like Elizabeth in P4A had the same.

PK Gaming

Yo its cool to see so many of you playing Ultimax on my friends list! I'm still playing the JP copy since I'm waiting for my mystery bundle from CrunchyRoll to come in.

Anyway I know it's only the first day, but for those of you who have played so far, what's your first impressions? Good, bad, better than the first? I'm curious to know since some of the people I play with enjoy the game, but feel they liked some elements in Arena better.

I'm absolutely loving it.

To start, I really dig the expanded roster. Arena's original roster felt too restrictive for me, as there were really only 2 characters I liked using. In Ultimax, I find myself using at Yu, Margaret, Minazuki, Yosuke, [Redacted], Mitsuru, and Chie, and I also plan dabbling with some others as well. In regards to the gameplay, i'm a sucker for the new tools each of the characters received. I like to go over characters I don't even use just to see their new tricks, and there's fun to be gained in just jotting whatever pertinent information I receive in matches. Everyone hits haaaaard, but it doesn't bother me all that much. I think P4A has conditioned me to bullshit (I'd rather than in a stupid high damage combo then get trapped in a vortex)

I don't think i've enjoyed a fighting game nearly as much as Ultimax, so I think it might be my favorite fighter of all time.

Xenoflare

I don't think you tried Yukari's combos if you think she's easier than Junpei :p

I'm having a great time trying to score those hits with Junpei.

Haha yeah I didn't try comboing with Yukari, her moves are not really combo friendly.... I need more time.

Unfortunately I'm still a bit salty with Liz, my favorite Diarahan supercombo no longer works with SB Agi and bufu.

I feel bad for only maining Liz for the original P4A. I play Yukiko semi-decently. Chie is easy for newbs too.

Is it me or Liz's A Diarahan heals a bit more than the old Arena? Maybe I always super canceled it so it takes a chuck away before activating

Mdesilva

Yo its cool to see so many of you playing Ultimax on my friends list! I'm still playing the JP copy since I'm waiting for my mystery bundle from CrunchyRoll to come in.

Anyway I know it's only the first day, but for those of you who have played so far, what's your first impressions? Good, bad, better than the first? I'm curious to know since some of the people I play with enjoy the game, but feel they liked some elements in Arena better.
So yeah, I've been playing this game for a month+ now, and probably have at least 300(?) matches by now, so I definitely have some opinions on it. I think that this game is better than the first, because out of all the changes to Arena, I can't really think of any I disagree with. (Except for S Hold, that thing is pointless). The new characters are all really cool (impressions of them later), and I like most of the individual character changes (though Yosuke should have been toned down a little bit). While Fatal Recovery does lead to the game having higher damage than before, I appreciate that. Having more of a risk to my actions encourages me to think smarter when I play, which I could definitely do more.

So yeah, NINE new characters! That's a lot. What do I think of them?
Yukari- SO MUCH FUN. I knew pretty quickly after trying her that she was my main, lol. Zoning is not something I'm really used to, and managing her Persona at the same time is kinda tricky... but I like it a lot. Her playstyle is really stylish and requires a decent bit of technical skill to do well, so it feels rewarding when I can actually do stuff :D

Definte, definite main. And I'm interested in a ton of other characters too, so that's saying something.
Junpei- the super duper hype character. I think he's fun to play and watch... once he gets started. Victory Cry takes a while to get, and that sucks for him. But he's pretty cool. *CLING* "Clean Hit!"
Sho- pressure, pressure, pressure. Sho is really good at making you block. He's definitely good, and reminds me a lot of Akihiko, just faster, with more range, and less damage.
Minazuki- FUCK THIS CHARACTER
Rise- I honestly don't know if she's good in the grand scheme of things... but I've been fighting a good Rise player a bit lately and I think she has major potential
Ken- koromaru is annoying also idk how to do any of this guy's combos
[REDACTED]- really different from everyone. His moveset is hard to work against, and he has a lot of options. I like him, but idk how to fight him yet. Not overly overwhelming or anything though.
Marie- No clue, seems kinda mediocre... I don't think she's that fun though fwiw
Margaret- AWESOME ADDITION. Really cool moveset, I enjoy using her. I don't like her new voice though :(

And then outside of gameplay... I really like the aesthetic changes. The main menu is really unique, and the other menus all look nice in blue- but I don't get why Story mode's text window is still yellow :/. I think some of the new stages are cool, but I would have liked to have a couple more. And the music... while it's cool that almost every song from P3/4 is in, it's overload. Random song select is dangerous to use now, and it's hard to find the one you want before you fight because there's so damn many. Also new network modes are cool

Sorry if this was really incoherent or just bad, I'm writing this at like 2AM on a Vita browser so cut me some slack :lol

Rhapsody

Banned

Better than the first in every aspect, imo. More characters, better story progression, more songs, etc. First game feels pretty barebones compared to this one.

I won't go into any of the technical gameplay stuff really, but I think they did a lot to keep it fresh. Plus the fan service of the Shadow character quotes, victories, and intros are all amazingly done.

Edit: That was a lot for on the Vita, Mdesilva lol. Even typing internet passwords on the Vita gets me a little tired.

Xenoflare

I honestly feel using [Redacted] kinda misses the point since ads regarding the FreeLC is everywhere. Oh well.

But [Redacted] is a lot of fun to play with, although he's kinda tricky on whiff.

MSMrRound

Think I lucked out. Only a couple copies left, if not I had to settle for a Region 3 (Asian) English version of Ultimax.

With that, changed my Ultimax Pre-order receipt with Smash Bros 3DS. Feels good to have those tarot cards.

So Teddie bop bag is basically air+water at the base?

RedGraveXIII

Neo Member

I'm really diggin' it, well I've been, since I got the JP version at launch. It's amazing how much content they managed to cram into this game, what with 9 new characters, new songs, golden arena, arcade lobby mode, etc.
The new characters are definitely fun to watch and play(Sho main). I've only put in about 400 matches, so I'm still learning how to deal with new character bullshit. Personally, I think there should be a few balance changes here and there, but that aside it's miles better than Arena, so I'm really glad I decided to learn how to play fighting games.

Picked up Ultimax last night ~ got two Justice (VIII) cards in my set and no (IX), and I'm pretty sure my cat is going to fight Teddie-bop today while I'm work, but I was really happy with the pre-order stuff this time around!

Haven't done a lot of playing so far, but I'm really enjoying Yukari (duh), Marie, Minazuki, and [Redacted]. [Redacted]'s move-set names are appropriately hilarious and awesome. I had hoped to main Yukari in this, but seeing how she plays I think she might be a bit too technical for me to be really effective with. Honestly, though, there's so many new characters and changes to the original cast that I'm not sure who I'll end up with.

Hands-down Ultimax is better than Arena in pretty much every way, and I can't wait for Margaret and especially the new BGM DLC (and I hope that one with Dazzling Smile comes west as well!).

So Teddie bop bag is basically air+water at the base?

Yeah. Blow enough air into Teddie so that the base can be defined enough for you to use a funnel to pour in the water. Then once the base is full, you can fill the rest of the bop bag with air.

I cheated and used an air pump for my soccer ball first to put air into Teddie initially.

Dantis

Pepsiman reviewed Ultimax. He did not like the story:

This time around, though, everything just rings hollow. Rather than being moved by new backstories or being entranced by new personal struggles that the characters could be facing, I’ve been met with a barrage of characters that somehow feel less mature and refined than when they were first introduced in their source material and a plotline that has them often at best routinely acting in ways that are out of character and betray the growth that’s already been established for them elsewhere. And at worst, the story flies in the face of logic, established or otherwise, without a hint of self-awareness, compromising the integrity those core narrative values to the Persona franchise to an alarmingly nonchalant degree. There are a handful of moments that still show the sort of brilliance past games have demonstrated in spades, most notably with respect to Rise’s reasons for gaining a combat-ready Persona and Ken’s internal struggles with learning what it means to be a kid, but the game bafflingly relegates those things to the periphery as short, tangential vignettes in favor of focusing predominantly on the fluff, on the cynically composed character moments that are in service of nothing meaningful beyond halfhearted references to the games of Persona past made for the sake of making them.

I agree with pretty much everything he says. I do think that Ultimax is a great game, but the story mode feels there for the sake of being there.

Mdesilva

Haven't done a lot of playing so far, but I'm really enjoying Yukari (duh), Marie, Minazuki, and [Redacted]. [Redacted]'s move-set names are appropriately hilarious and awesome. I had hoped to main Yukari in this, but seeing how she plays I think she might be a bit too technical for me to be really effective with. Honestly, though, there's so many new characters and changes to the original cast that I'm not sure who I'll end up with.
Nooooo, don't say that! D:

I'm not the best or anything, but if you're having trouble with any Yukari stuff, I could try to help you.

Lunar15

I think I'm gonna pass on Ultimax. I'm just no good at fighting games, and if the story is as pointless as I've heard, there's nothing there for me.

I'm just really burnt on on P3/P4 cast at this point. I doubt I'll even pick up PQ, to be honest. I went from being really hyped about all things to persona to being really fatigued without even playing much in the past year.

Just give me P5 already.

Levito

Banned
The presentation in Ultimax's story mode is so much better than that of Arenas. Having everything divided up by the tarot card tree rather than repeating(more or less) the exact same plotline over and over has been awesome. It's nice not having to meet Yu 6 times!

Should leave the rest for my own review, but damn it's a fun game.

Squire

Banned
Ordered Ultimax last night in the midst of my insomnia.

I'll be kicking your asses soon enough, don't worry. I'm in no rush since the queen has yet to touch down.

PK Gaming

Shoutouts to Pepsiman for that amazing pizza analogy, and for deciding to not offer his two cents on the state of balance. I've read a couple of reviews that tried to offer their thoughts on the metagame, and they've mostly been laughably off base.

"Yes, please regale me on how Elizabeth is still totally overpowered and how Kanji is still cheap and/or unviable."

Anyway, I more or less agree with what's written in the review. My 2 cents:
I've said this before but Persona 4: Ultimax is anime as hell. "But Persona is anim-" Stop right there. I know that. The fact that i'm saying that should tell you something.

Loneliness! Friendship! Loneliness! Friendship! Loneliness! Friendship! Loneliness! Friendship!

I had no idea these themes were so integral to Persona 4.

I tried giving Sho a chance, but he just wasn't a good antagonist. I can enjoy him on a gameplay level, but his story presence is so cliched. So tired. "Did you know that friendship makes you weak?" Minazuki's more or less the same thing, but less of a petulant little shit, and kind of cool? On the other hand, he's pretty much the Masked Man from Naruto, so...

The main antagonist had me rolling my eyes. It shameless apes off an existing Persona antagonist. I vastly would have preferred if they used a different kind of antagonist altogether, rather than Japanese deity god #475.

MY FRIENDS MY FRIENDS MY FRIENDS MY FRIENDS MY FRIENDS
They totally go nowhere with Elizabeth's character arc. Why are you even here?

In summary: Ultimax plays like a dream and reads like a shonen jump manga. I can enjoy it if I turn my brain off, but when you scrutinize it, the narrative flaws become apparent. That said, I fucking love the Persona 3/4 cast though, so I still ate it up.

Oh yeah, I totally predicted this. I mean I was wrong, but I was kind of right?!?

Sophia

If you really must post Ultimax story impressions beyond "I agree!" or "I disagree!", then just spoiler tag your whole impressions with a warning of what it is beforehand. That way nobody's getting accidentally spoiled.

Zebetite

Banned
Catching up on this thread: how many of you go to fucking York? I just graduated from there this past April. What a small world.

I cheaper out on the shipping for my Ultimax order like an idiot. In the event it doesn't get here this week, is it still possible to flag the FreeLC for "purchase" on the PS store without (yet) owning the game? Should be, yeah?

FluxWaveZ

So do you guys think that the story is worse than in P4A? Didn't pick the game yet.

Much prefer P4AU's story to P4A's, mostly because of the change in format, eliminating redundancy. A bit more eventful than P4A's story; the only real weak part for me was everything leading up to the ending sequence, as well as the ending sequence itself. Poor and very abrupt conclusion to something that was set up to be somewhat grandiose. I prefer Episode P3 to Episode P4.

PK Gaming

PK, talk about the gameplay in some detail. What do you think?

It's hard to put into it words but P4AU just feels "fun" to play. Attacks look smooth and stylish. Characters are a dream to control; it's an anime fighter so high mobility is expected, but I really can't get over how fluid the movements are. You can dash, you can jump, you can roll, you can super jump, back air dash... you've got a ton of options, really. Sound effects are crisp and have more detail (they actually changed it so punch/kick attacks sound like strikes, sword attacks have a metal sound to it, etc). Characters bring their Persona skills to life. I will never get over how I can use techniques Ziodyne and Hamaon as supers in a fighting game. Little touches like character specific dialogue and navigator dialogue make it even more appealing on a gaming front. Yosuke and Chie having character specific battle lines? I'm all about that.

I mentioned earlier how restrictive P4A felt in terms of character selection. It wasn't bad starting out, but I never really wanted to use anyone outside of 2 characters. But Ultimax nearly doubles the roster by adding 9 new characters, bringing the total up to 22. Which is just crazy. But wait, there's more! Since P4A characters are definitely more than your standard fighting game character, that roster size counts for more than your average fighter. Everyone brings something new to the table; Junpei is a power up character with stylish combos. Ken is a long ranged fighter that fights in tandem with Koromaru. Margaret is just a bundle of awesome. Every single new character feels fresh and innovative. [Redacted] is a fighting game character that actually incorporates Persona-style buffs into his moveset... i'm still at awe at how they pulled it off. The returning characters got new tools as well, so there's definitely an incentive to try them out again (for some characters like Yu and Yosuke, the new changes make them feel like new characters). It gets to point where I just wanna try using everyone.

On a competitive level, while I understand the criticisms levied against it, i'm personally okay with it's general over the top damage. Sure the game is top heavy, but at the same time it feels like everyone can win with enough skill. (Though the top tier characters most certainly have an easier time winning, haha). I don't think i'm particularly talented at fighting games, but with some hard practice I got good to a point where you can compete with pretty good net players. P4AU is a game that's easy to get into and easy to improve in (provided you work hard at it). You don't really need perfect hands to do well in a game like this. And while there's a lot to overcome in a game like this, I think working to adapt to obstacles (hello Minazuki) is better than just complaining. (You can complain AND adapt though)

The additions to single player are definitely appreciated. 95% of my time in P4A was spent on online (After clearing story mode & arcade; Score Attack was a pointless endeavor for me), but i'm actually spending some time in single player this time around. Golden Arena Mode is addicting. I think my favorite aspect of it is just obtaining Persona skills. It's cool how characters get skills loosely related to what they got in their original games. Score Attack Mode is actually playable now (since you can continue after a loss and select difficulty) and Arcade mode is generally more fun due to the expanded roster.

All in all, P4AU is just a fun game to play. Even if you aren't a hard core fighting game player, there's enough here to cater to almost anyone.

Squire

Banned
Excellently said, PK, thanks. I definitely think I made the right choice getting the game now. Your post with your observations of Margaret and the physicality of her fighting style got me hyped up, too.

That's a shame. :/
Much prefer P4AU's story to P4A's, mostly because of the change in format, eliminating redundancy. A bit more eventful than P4A's story; the only real weak part for me was everything leading up to the ending sequence, as well as the ending sequence itself. Poor and very abrupt conclusion to something that was set up to be somewhat grandiose. I prefer Episode P3 to Episode P4.
I have a feeling that this will be my opinion about the story as well.

PK Gaming

When Margaret uses Mediaharan (the move the heals herself and the opponent), her Persona takes out a flower, and she says:

"DO YOU LIKE IT HOT?"

#GOTY
#GOTF

Xenoflare

In the end I found the story mode of Ultimax to be quite cringy, it's not a good representation of the P3/P4 games. It reeks afterthought. Glad I R2'ed most of it.

Rise's persona awakening sequence is retarded, "OOH IAM SEW WEAK WAHH WAHH *a wild liz appears* OMM EMM GEE I CAN FIGHT TOOOOO
and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

However the
artworks for the P3 side in the end are quite nice. WHY CAN'T THE P3 CAST JUST WEAR NORMAL CLOTHES? AKIHIKO AND MITSURU LOOK HOT IN THERE NORMAL ATTIRES

Xenoflare

Um, how does this differ from the P3 sequences? Or are those bad too?

Maybe it's because it's been years since I played P3, but I cringed hard during that sequence. I know that she's not the only one who falls under this......

I guess I'm just getting too old for this.

Dantis

Maybe it's because it's been years since I played P3, but I cringed hard during that sequence. I know that she's not the only one who falls under this......

I guess I'm just getting too old for this.

I think it's more that Ultimax's tone is different from P3 and P4. I find a lot of it cringey, but when I go back and play P3 and P4 (Particularly P4), I'm always surprised to find that the writing is genuinely as good as I remember.

Rhapsody

Banned
I think it's more that Ultimax's tone is different from P3 and P4. I find a lot of it cringey, but when I go back and play P3 and P4 (Particularly P4), I'm always surprised to find that the writing is genuinely as good as I remember.

Arena and the anime tend to make me forget a little too. Especially since those projects tend to express certain parts of characters a little too much on their personalities, so I forget how the writing really is for the main games. First month and November still impress me a lot.

Xenoflare

Yeah, as much as P4's formulaic's story and shadow confrontations go, it was at least good enough for me to not cringe.

Ultimax felt like what would happen if the story is on high speed mode.

Top Bottom