• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT6| Where 6 Comes Before 5 (No PQ or P4U spoilers!)

Levito

Banned
I really like your process, haha. Seriously though, thanks for the answer! Always appreciate the work you and everyone else at S. Link does.

Happy they you don't hate my face. <3

I know this isn't the SMT thread and everyone is hyped up over P4AU (as am I), but I just got Soul Hackers a few days back and it's the first non-Persona SMT game to really catch my attention. I have Nocturne and DeSu: Overclocked but neither have really grabbed me. I'm about 2-ish hours in and loving the Soul Hackers story.

Missed this post, Soul Hackers rules.

Yeah I wish I could move to my campus. I go to York, which let's be frank, if you live downtown is in the middle of buttfucks nowhere lol... Takes me around an hour to get there in the morning, and 1:30-2 to come back, depends on traffic. Every. Single. Day.

That aside, I'm having a ton of fun and enjoying the story of P4AU so far. It's great to see the characters back in their former glory, after the disaster that P4GA was lol.

I'm first year, which is why I live on campus and only need to walk 15 minutes to get from my residence to my class. I go to Waterloo, which probably wouldn't be that much better driving there. I left my PS3 behind so I'm not playing ultimax for a while, at least until my time off studying (co-op for me). Hope you are enjoying yourself at York.

Also, sorry if this was asked before, but does anybody know how
Adachi
compares to the rest of the cast? I haven't played the original P4A and am bad at fighting games. Also bad at games in general (I used to think Yosuke was average, when apparently he's one of the best by endgame).

mdubs

Banned
Yeah I wish I could move to my campus. I go to York, which let's be frank, if you live downtown is in the middle of buttfucks nowhere lol... Takes me around an hour to get there in the morning, and 1:30-2 to come back, depends on traffic. Every. Single. Day.

Nah man, I go to York too and I would never want to live there no matter how bad the traffic is travelling there (I usually bite the bullet when driving and 407 my way there).

redhairedking

I'm first year, which is why I live on campus and only need to walk 15 minutes to get from my residence to my class. I go to Waterloo, which probably wouldn't be that much better driving there. I left my PS3 behind so I'm not playing ultimax for a while, at least until my time off studying (co-op for me). Hope you are enjoying yourself at York.

Also, sorry if this was asked before, but does anybody know how
Adachi
compares to the rest of the cast? I haven't played the original P4A and am bad at fighting games. Also bad at games in general (I used to think Yosuke was average, when apparently he's one of the best by endgame).

I haven't gotten to play as him yet, but below is a link describing his pros/cons and playstyle.

http://bit.ly/1sMgL2T

I haven't gotten to play as him yet, but below is a link describing his pros/cons and playstyle.

http://bit.ly/1sMgL2T

I already read it like twice because of hype /I was interested, but thanks anyways :) . Sorry if my question was vague, but basically I was wondering about what people think of him vs others. Like what tier he is, if you happen to know the term.

On a different note, I heard Narukami was high tier, but why didn't a bunch end up at top 8? Or did they, and I heard wrong.

Never, the show has been cancelled and I'm working on an off shore oil rig till retirement.

Shin-Megami-Tensei-Devil-Survivor-2-Episode-5-Image-0010.png

EDIT: Probably Thursday:p

P4Arena_Chie_SkullCracker.png

redhairedking

I already read it like twice because of hype /I was interested, but thanks anyways :) . Sorry if my question was vague, but basically I was wondering about what people think of him vs others. Like what tier he is, if you happen to know the term.

On a different note, I heard Narukami was high tier, but why didn't a bunch end up at top 8? Or did they, and I heard wrong.

The tiers are still pretty up in the air because of console exclusive characters. Narukami was S tier in P4A I think and he's even better in Ultimax so I imagine he's still near the top.

PK Gaming

Apparently, the Japanese think he's great. Incredibly obnoxious to face (they have a term for this—gorilla character). I wouldn't be able to give you an accurate tier placing, but i've heard that he's just outside of top 5. (Top 5 is widely considered to consist of Yosuke, Yu, Minazuki, Teddie and Aigis)

redhairedking

Apparently, the Japanese think he's great. Incredibly obnoxious to face (they have a term for this—gorilla character). I wouldn't be able to give you an accurate tier placing, but i've heard that he's just outside of top 5. (Top 5 is widely considered to consist of Yosuke, Yu, Minazuki, Teddie and Aigis)

I've also been reading people saying that Margaret is going to be top 8 at worst, so that should be interesting.

Andrefpvs

Apparently this is available for the Japanese version of the game:

6aCFVDh.png

I NEED this for the North American version! Someone tell me it can happen! Anyooooone!

My party is a bunch of punks they're all wiped after only 2 floors, I assume each time my party recovers from being tired their stamina will go up so I can get farther in the tower?

You're playing P3P right? I think you can pretty much go on until you hit the floor max in a single night despite what your party say, it's just they won't be able to go the following nights.

Apparently this is available for the Japanese version of the game:

I NEED this for the North American version! Someone tell me it can happen! Anyooooone!

There might be a chance that we'll only get those once/if P4GA gets licensed in North America, sometimes rights limitations can be super weird. If I'm wrong though, someone let me know.

Nah I've heard complaints that P3P is too easy because they changed the way the game controls (full party control, retweaked fatigue system) but didn't rebalance the game around them

I think there's a huge difference between making too easy and getting rid of bullshit everyone hated.

Sophia

Full party control doesn't really make the game that much easier. Completely removing the fatigue system does however. You can do Tartarus in one night with proper planning in P3P, just like you can do the Midnight Channel dungeons in one go.

But what really makes the game easier is the changes to the mechanics and One More! rules. With the right setup you can completely dominate enemies with physical skills in ways you're not suppose to.

Soulflarz

Banned
Full party control doesn't really make the game that much easier. Completely removing the fatigue system does however. You can do Tartarus in one night with proper planning in P3P, just like you can do the Midnight Channel dungeons in one go.

Yeah i feel like full party control isnt extremely abusable since they fixed the few things we did spam (cant you not stunlock the reaper forever anymore?)
Its only really bad if MC gets a status effect and your team doesnt care for a bit

So should I fuse Orpheus and Pixie to make Apsaras or should I be waiting till I have a lot of persona to start fusing? Also is there any way to check what a spell/skill is? No idea what a bufu or a dia is :|

Neat hint: Check Orpheus' elemental layout. Two weaknesses, no resists. Keep an eye out for that when fusing and battling, as if he kisses the canvas, it's game over. There won't be "a time to do that" you have to keep the previous in mind.

I think there's a huge difference between making too easy and getting rid of bullshit everyone hated.

^^^

What this man said. The AI was horrid and terribly weak compared to the MC. Now they complement actual stragety rather than the MC being 90% of most fights while the rest grab-ass.

And yeah, alot of people get that confused with nerfing enemies and making the player OP.

As long as you make sure to scan everything your ally AI generally seems to be smart enough to exploit weaknesses. Plus they seem to pull from an infinite pool of medicine <_<

Tiers are not the end-all when it comes to character representation, or even individual character performance.

Oh, for some reason I thought that tier lists were influenced heavily by tournament results. But he's good for relatively good damage, good mixups and pressure, and isn't really difficult to use right?

FluxWaveZ

Oh, for some reason I thought that tier lists were influenced heavily by tournament results. But he's good for relatively good damage, good mixups and pressure, and isn't really difficult to use right?

Tier lists are mostly influenced by match-up data and are essentially data aggregators. They have little to do with which characters actually end up performing well in tournaments (because if that were the case, Elizabeth would be one of the top characters in the game).

[Redacted] isn't the easiest character to use, no. They're pretty awkward and technical. They're the character I've been using the most, though, and I like how they play. They have nice block strings and their buffs are really nice.

Since I finally got online on a PS3~ am I able to download the free DLC right now, right? I doubt I will be able to buy Ultimax since I'm in partials right now.

Whelp that sucks, getting sick on 5/6, even taking medicine only got me to tired... which wasn't enough to not get one shot by the boss at floor 14 -.- I guess I gotta pray no one is sick on 5/7 so I can get the papers

Tier lists are mostly influenced by match-up data and are essentially data aggregators. They have little to do with which characters actually end up performing well in tournaments (because if that were the case, Elizabeth would be one of the top characters in the game).

[Redacted] isn't the easiest character to use, no. They're pretty awkward and technical. They're the character I've been using the most, though, and I like how they play. They have nice block strings and their buffs are really nice.

OK thanks, that makes sense regarding the tier lists. And from the gameplay I've seen, Awakening super is pretty nice for the buff alone. I think rage and fear can stack, and if that happens it pretty much guarantees a lot of damage for your next attack unless the enemy manages to catch you with a reversal.

Unfortunately, it might be too difficult for me if I ever play the game, and I'll probably stick with someone easier unless I get better with the system. Maybe Narukami or Kanji so the lag might be able to play in my favour because of lower reaction speeds to mixups/command grabs.

Young Magus

Yo,P-GAF

I have been wondering if the story in P4U is worth buying it now. Can someone who imported/spoiled themselves tell me is the story worth it?

A simple yes or no would be enough.

FluxWaveZ

Yo,P-GAF

I have been wondering if the story in P4U is worth buying it now. Can someone who imported/spoiled themselves tell me is the story worth it?

A simple yes or no would be enough.

You mean Ultimax, right? It's subjective, but sure. Better than the first game's.

Xenoflare

Yeah, but he still is at the character select screen.

I don't understand how this is the case for marge but not for igor.

The dub is inconsistent in odd little places

Although LOL
Karen Strassmen voiced Marge's new lines for her P4G fight, it was so trippy

Just finished the first major new moon event, seems like you can get screwed if you aren't strong enough when it's time to take these on. The few story enemies give out gobs of exp almost as if to quickly auto level you if you're massively under leveled though

Yo its cool to see so many of you playing Ultimax on my friends list! I'm still playing the JP copy since I'm waiting for my mystery bundle from CrunchyRoll to come in.

Anyway I know it's only the first day, but for those of you who have played so far, what's your first impressions? Good, bad, better than the first? I'm curious to know since some of the people I play with enjoy the game, but feel they liked some elements in Arena better.

Yo its cool to see so many of you playing Ultimax on my friends list! I'm still playing the JP copy since I'm waiting for my mystery bundle from CrunchyRoll to come in.

Anyway I know it's only the first day, but for those of you who have played so far, what's your first impressions? Good, bad, better than the first? I'm curious to know since some of the people I play with enjoy the game, but feel they liked some elements in Arena better.

I'll give you mine as a non-fighting game player. Played around with some characters in challenge mode, did 50% of P4s side of story, and I'm loving it so far. I don't see myself going online or anything but the game is fun and easy to play just like the first, and the story is presented in a much better way, without the annoying repetition of events for each character. All and all, it's Persona, and it's great.

I'll give you mine as a non-fighting game player. Played around with some characters in challenge mode, did 50% of P4s side of story, and I'm loving it so far. I don't see myself going online or anything but the game is fun and easy to play just like the first, and the story is presented in a much better way, without the annoying repetition of events for each character. All and all, it's Persona, and it's great.

Funny you mention the last part about it being Persona. I was like you when I played Arena, I had no care for fighting games, I only like Persona, but Arena totally got me interested in fighters, and now I'm hyped for Xrd. Also yeah I beat story mode in the JP version and did a bunch of online and I'm really loving it.

Those people might be crazy. Are they Yu/Mitsuru/Chie mains, by any chance?

Haha no, it's probably from playing with me. It's mostly complaints about Yosuke. Everyone I play with seem to be glad Yu and Chie can't put you in a blender anymore.

WHELP I dun goofed

I was looking up info on P4A and P4AU and looking over the character roster and was curious as to why of all the P3 characters added to P4U the main protagonist was a no show...

tumblr_mm3d53Y8ng1rl6ypdo1_500.gif

Oh well, probably won't impact my enjoyment of the game too much

Teknoman

WHELP I dun goofed

I was looking up info on P4A and P4AU and looking over the character roster and was curious as to why of all the P3 characters added to P4U the main protagonist was a no show...

I kinda spoiled myself on accident looking into The Answer chapter in FES, but thats why I want to play it now lol...so sorta similar predicament. Of course, it would be cool if since they seem bent on having the Persona universe actually connected from game to game, it would be nice if P5 wrapped up what was "started" in P3.

FluxWaveZ

it would be nice if P5 wrapped up what was "started" in P3.

No thanks. Keeping that for the Arena series as a kind of sisyphean quest is much more preferable to me than burdening any subsequent, mainline Persona game with it. Well, assuming that it would have a big role. Perhaps something on the level of Persona 4's reference would be fine with me.

If anything, with Persona Q and the Persona 3 Movie, it seemed that Ultimax might have been where it was all building up towards, but now, I think the game's established that what's most important is the quest, and not the resolution.

WHELP I dun goofed

I played P3 pretty much knowing what happened and I enjoyed it all the same. Kind of even added some emotion to some scenes knowing what was going to happen.

Mdesilva

The whole #SelfieWithTeddie thing on twitter is pretty great, y'all are so kawaii.
I agree, it is pretty great lol. More people should do it!

Those people might be crazy. Are they Yu/Mitsuru/Chie mains, by any chance?
I talk to a lot of these people as well, and I think the main issue to some is the damage being as high as it is. Seems like not everyone knew what they were getting into here, heh :p

FluxWaveZ

I talk to a lot of these people as well, and I think the main issue to some is the damage being as high as it is. Seems like not everyone knew what they were getting into here, heh :p

I'm not talking about P4AU alone, though, I'm talking compared to P4A. I'd like to think the people who'd rather be stuck in endless oki windmills and a less overall balanced cast are in the minority.

Top Bottom