• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT6| Where 6 Comes Before 5 (No PQ or P4U spoilers!)

It sounds to me like you have the basis for a very strong team. What kind of problems are you running into? It seems to me like you have good damage output and healing potential, so is there a particular move the boss uses that gives you trouble?

Its mostly SP problems, I tend to run out on teddie half way into her second form and everything goes to shit after that

Its mostly SP problems, I tend to run out on teddie half way into her second form and everything goes to shit after that

Hmm, I'm guessing then that you have a shortage of SP renewal items. You can get those in the dungeons, so maybe just go farm a bit of those? Getting a good healing persona on your MC should also help spread out the SP cost that Teddie would usually have to deal with on his own.

You might want to consider some good accessories for Teddie. Something that restores a little SP every turn can really help if you have it. (Late game P4 spoilers)
You can also go back to Heaven and fight the hidden boss at the top. Beating him and searching the ground by the pillars on the left gets you the Chakra Ring, which halves SP cost for one character.

Protip for you: Go back to the
Heaven
dungeon, fight your way up to the top floor, beat the miniboss, and then check the flowers to the left of where the boss was. You'll find an item called the Chakra Ring, which decreases the SP costs of whoever it's equipped to by 50%. That should be more than enough to get you through both forms of the final boss

Just finished P4s side of the story. Idk but the ending felt... Rushed? I haven't touched the P3 storyline yet so that might be why. It was nice seeing the epilogue for the P4 characters too although expected, I wish
they would of shown what Yu was up to too.

Zareka

Just finished P4s side of the story. Idk but the ending felt... Rushed? I haven't touched the P3 storyline yet so that might be why. It was nice seeing the epilogue for the P4 characters too although expected, I wish
Yeah, I felt it was a little rushed too. It's like they didn't even try.
I'm pretty much guessing they didn't.

FluxWaveZ

That's partly because you haven't seen the True Ending yet. It feels rushed regardless, though.

I still have more than half of the story to go if we take P3 and Adachi's episode into perspective. I cannot give proper judgment to the game before I finish both. I liked what I played. Cheesy dialogue aside, it wasn't too bad aha.

Busaiku

Alright, so gonna restart my Persona 4 Golden file, since it's been several months now.
Is there a spoiler-free guide to maxing social links in 1 run (if possible)?

Hmm, I'm guessing then that you have a shortage of SP renewal items. You can get those in the dungeons, so maybe just go farm a bit of those? Getting a good healing persona on your MC should also help spread out the SP cost that Teddie would usually have to deal with on his own.

You might want to consider some good accessories for Teddie. Something that restores a little SP every turn can really help if you have it. (Late game P4 spoilers)
You can also go back to Heaven and fight the hidden boss at the top. Beating him and searching the ground by the pillars on the left gets you the Chakra Ring, which halves SP cost for one character.

I never actually find any snuff souls (I currently have 2) so its not gonna make a big difference when abilities are running low. Also I just fought her and almost beat her but I forgot what summon yoi did and died.

Ill probably do that next time I play, thanks for the tip!

Ultimax spoilers:
Was I the only one who was disappointed by the fact that the P3 and P4 story episodes contradicted each other? I was kinda hoping that they'd both exist in the same timeline, with a focus on different characters. I know that'd mean the P3 episode would end without a proper boss, since Yu was the one who beat Kagutsuchi, but would that really be such a loss?

FluxWaveZ

Ultimax spoilers:
Was I the only one who was disappointed by the fact that the P3 and P4 story episodes contradicted each other? I was kinda hoping that they'd both exist in the same timeline, with a focus on different characters. I know that'd mean the P3 episode would end without a proper boss, since Yu was the one who beat Kagutsuchi, but would that really be such a loss?

This isn't much of a spoiler since it's about the structure, but eh. I was a bit disappointed by that when I arrived to Episode P3, but it turned out to be the better episode partly because of that, and I guess it would have felt a bit redundant since there's a fair amount of P4 and P3 interaction in Episode P4 already. At least it's not 15+ distinct story routes that all contradict each other.

Episode [Redacted] is the same way, though it does a good job of conveying certain things that weren't explained in Episode P4—i.e. the canon route—itself.

This isn't much of a spoiler since it's about the structure, but eh. I was a bit disappointed by that when I arrived to Episode P3, but it turned out to be the better episode partly because of that, and I guess it would have felt a bit redundant since there's a fair amount of P4 and P3 interaction in Episode P4 already. At least it's not 15+ distinct story routes that all contradict each other.

Episode [Redacted] is the same way, though it does a good job of conveying certain things that weren't explained in Episode P4—i.e. the canon route—itself.

Oh, you have a point about the spoiler I guess, but I figured better safe than sorry. Anyway, I definitely agree that the two story paths are better than the 15+ story routes of the original Arena. I'd just argue that all the best parts of Episode P3 were the scenes that had nothing to do with the crisis in Inaba (before the Shadow Operatives arrive, a few monologues here and there, and the epilogue), so having some redundant character interactions would be alright. Or a least preferable to having the main plot being redundant, with the only significant difference being which candidate was running on the platform of "Bonds." All things considered though, the plot structure was much better in Ultimax than in Arena.

FluxWaveZ

Or a least preferable to having the main plot being redundant, with the only significant difference being which candidate was running on the platform of "Bonds." All things considered though, the plot structure was much better in Ultimax than in Arena.

There were quite a few more differences than that, though. Are you getting Persona Q? It seems that the game does the exact same thing with the story as Ultimax, depending on which side you initially choose.

I'm fine with them being contradictory if there is a main path that is chosen as "canon." Nothing wrong with the same basic story being interpreted differently, to me, as long as it's conveyed what actually happened, and the True Ending as well as Episode [Redacted] imply which we're supposed to take as the true story path.

Ultimax spoilers:

I was disappointed too, I would have loved to have just one single episode that combines the important things that happen in both episodes, (spoilers, of course)
like Ikutsuki's audio file, Shadow Labrys, and all the Adachi encounters. Although I was even more disappointed by the fact that the main antagonist was yet another Japanese demon/god/whatever introduced at the very last minute that felt like it had no reason to exist. At least Izanami had something to do with the whole theme of P4, which was deeply explored through the game. Hi-no-Kagustsuchi was completely rushed.

Although my main problem with this is that both episodes were constantly referred to as the P4 side of the story and the P3 side of the story. That (unlike PQ) made me have expectations that I was going to see the same story but with different points of view. They're not different sides, they're different versions of the same story.

But yeah, can't complain about the story structure in each episode. Miles better than Arena's

There were quite a few more differences than that, though. Are you getting Persona Q? It seems that the game does the exact same thing with the story as Ultimax, depending on which side you initially choose.

Yeah, there were quite a few more differences than I implied, apologies for the over-simplification. But, for me, most of the most meaningful differences didn't necessarily need a different character to fight the final boss. I really liked the interactions of Sho with both Labrys and Yu, for example, but who fought the final boss seemed unimportant. As I write this though, I realize this is just me being super picky for no reason, so I'll just stop complaining, haha.

I am getting PQ, and I'm fine with it doing the same story with slight differences because that's what I expected it to do from the start. For some reason I just got it into my head that Ultimax was explicitly not going to do that. Where I got this idea, I have no idea.

I'm fine with them being contradictory if there is a main path that is chosen as "canon." Nothing wrong with the same basic story being interpreted differently, to me, as long as it's conveyed what actually happened, and the True Ending as well as Episode [Redacted] imply which we're supposed to take as the true story path.

Completely agree with the bolded part. A lot of my quibbles were resolved by the true end of the game, which I really enjoyed. I'm still kinda disappointed by Episode P3, especially the references to
Ikutsuki,
but I realize that my problems with it are a matter of personal expectation more than anything.

FluxWaveZ

Although I was even more disappointed by the fact that the main antagonist was yet another Japanese demon/god/whatever introduced at the very last minute that felt like it had no reason to exist. At least Izanami had something to do with the whole theme of P4, which was deeply explored through the game. Hi-no-Kagustsuchi was completely rushed.

Well, if we're interpreting it thematically, we could also say that the P-1 Grand Prix duology had a lot to do with the individual's desire for destruction (ala
The Answer
(Persona 3 spoiler),
tying into Kagutsuchi
. I didn't really like
Izanami in P4, either.
(Persona 4 spoilers)

I want P Studio to quit doing that. They've done it too many times before; I don't believe this necessarily has to be some core element of the Persona series. If it has to be, there are better ways of executing this. Persona 2: Innocent Sin's
big bad is an example.

PK Gaming

Im currently using kanji, naoto and teddie and all 5 of them (including pro tag and rise) is currently level 82, the protags persona is Mada at level 83. For equiment everyone has +300 damage items and for armor everyone has armor that gives +200 defense. I curently have 40 antibiotic gel and 35 macca leaf.

Now then before anyone says anything all of the other characters are horribly under farmed (yosuke, chie and yukkio are all in the 40-50s range).

I see, I see...

Well Naoto is ill-advised for the final boss because her damage is terrible (she excels in random battles). Unfortunately, Yosuke, Chie and Yukiko are beyond help (unless you want to waste an hour grinding on golden hands) but the boss battle should still be doable without them.

Here's what you want to do:

Pre boss battle preparation

Fuse Trumpeter, a powerful Judgement Persona. Trumpeter comes with the Debilitate skill, which lowers the targets Attack, Defense and Accuracy/Evasion. Since your Judgement slink is effectively maxed, you should be one level away from obtaining this skill. Grind until you obtain it.

Boss Battle Strategy

1. Teddie is on stat buff duty. He should work to set up Matarukaja and Marakukaja and maintain them for the entire of the fight. If they're set up, he should be on healing duty.
2. During the fight, Kanji should be alternating between Power Charge and Primal Charge for heavy damage. His endurance is high, so he shouldn't be taking much damage.
3. Naoto should be the secondary healer/buff user. Her damage is pitiful so there's little point to attacking. Focusing on ensuring that everyone stays alive
4. The protagonist should use Debilitate immediately and attack with his strongest Persona. Make sure it sticks on the boss, or else you'll eat big damage.

Remember, if the boss has used power/mind charge, be sure to set everyone on block. You can't afford to take unnecessary damage. Keeping everyone alive is the key to victory, because it'll hard to mount a comeback if you're down to 1-2 party members.

You should be able to win if you follow this strategy to the letter.

Well, if we're interpreting it thematically, we could also say that the P-1 Grand Prix duology had a lot to do with the individual's desire for destruction (ala
The Answer
(Persona 3 spoiler),
tying into Kagutsuchi
. I didn't really like
Izanami in P4, either.
(Persona 4 spoilers)

I want P Studio to quit doing that. They've done it too many times before; I don't believe this necessarily has to be some core element of the Persona series. If it has to be, there are better ways of executing this. Persona 2: Innocent Sin's
big bad is an example.

Yeah, I agree. The idea of
the big bad being representative of the collective unconscious was really cool at first, but each time it's happened since then makes it just feel like the lazy, obvious answer.
From what little we've heard from Hashino about P5 though, I feel strangely confident that they'll break the trend. I guess only time will tell though.

Sophia

I see, I see...

Well Naoto is ill-advised for the final boss because her damage is terrible (she excels in random battles). Unfortunately, Yosuke, Chie and Yukiko are beyond help (unless you want to waste an hour grinding on golden hands) but the boss battle should still be doable without them.

Is he playing Golden? Naoto's damage is hardly terrible if that's the case. Especially if he leveled her social link at all and got Mind Charge.

If you're playing vanilla, then yeah, don't use Naoto. Waste of a slot. I would go fuse Trumpeter and go into the final dungeon or the one before that with just Yukiko. Have the protagonist destroy stuff and she should level up extremely quickly. Ten to fifteen minutes at best, as Yukiko will gain several levels per fight up to level 70.

PK Gaming

I'm pretty sure Naoto had Mind Charge Megidolaon in vanilla too. In any case, she absolutely has awful damage (at least in comparison to her fellow party members).

She can use the MC Megidolaon combo for damage, but only if she doesn't need to heal/support with items.

big bad is an example.

Agreed (P4 spoilers)
Izanami was when it started to bother me, I felt it worked really well in the past but it felt so pointless in P4, the game would have been perfectly fine without that stuff and I think that throwing that stuff in there detracts from the killer.

Hopefully they drop that for P5, as you say I don't think it needs to a core element especially as making it one would really restrict what they can do.

I remember thinking that (Ultimax spoilers)
Sho was gonna suck but the big bad would be cool, but it turns out that Sho/Minazuki is actually somewhat compelling and the big bad was completely throwaway.

I remember thinking that (Ultimax spoilers)
Sho was gonna suck but the big bad would be cool, but it turns out that Sho/Minazuki is actually somewhat compelling and the big bad was completely throwaway.

At the moment I've only done the P4 side but I agree so far (Ultimax spoilers)
the split personality stuff is really interesting
. While on the topic of Ultimax I have to say that I never want to hear the word shitty again.

Sophia

I'm pretty sure Naoto had Mind Charge Megidolaon in vanilla too. In any case, she absolutely has awful damage (at least in comparison to her fellow party members).

She can use the MC Megidolaon combo for damage, but only if she doesn't need to heal/support with items.

If he's playing Golden then Naoto has Agidyne and Garudyne as well, which is the difference. In which case, her damage isn't that awful. No worse than some of the Personas you can make for the protagonist, and certainly a better solution than spending time grinding Yukiko up.

Mind Charge + Megidolaon is a complete waste of time in a boss battle, hence why I said "don't use Naoto" if he's playing Vanilla. :p

PK Gaming

If he's playing Golden then Naoto has Agidyne and Garudyne as well, which is the difference. In which case, her damage isn't that awful. No worse than some of the Personas you can make for the protagonist, and certainly a better solution than spending time grinding Yukiko up.

Mind Charge + Megidolaon is a complete waste of time in a boss battle, hence why I said "don't use Naoto" if he's playing Vanilla. :p

Except I was explicitly talking about the final boss in this case, not in general. Her damage against the final boss is low because spells have low base power. Low base power + lack of amp/boost skills = low damage output.

I think you're conflating elemental coverage with damage.

Xenoflare

Sho is
topping Marie in terms of salt, since I'm not hearing in Marie in Japanese anymore she's a lot more tolerable. I dislike Sho's character, and hate him even more for his Persona version doing teleports in P4AU and ugh

Glad that I mostly just play in lobbies.

Sophia

Except I was explicitly talking about the final boss, not in general. Her damage against the final boss is low because spells have low base power. Low base power + lack of amp/boost skills = low damage output.

I think you're conflating elemental coverage with damage.

You said Mind Charge Megidolaon in your post. If you're referring to spells having a low base power, then why did you say that?

It really doesn't matter anyhow. The damage is not that significant of a difference. They're perfectly capable of using Naoto for the final boss if they're playing Golden. :p

Xenoflare

You said Mind Charge Megidolaon in your post. If you're referring to spells having a low base power, then why did you say that?

It really doesn't matter anyhow. The damage is not that significant of a difference.

IIRC you can still use accessory to boost Naoto's damage. Since I think there is a gun that grants her Ice boost and she can use another of them Icicle vows or something like that to boost her Bufudyne.

Of course boss battle isn't her forte, but I think you can go with any combinations of party members for P4.

Sophia

IIRC you can still use accessory to boost Naoto's damage. Since I think there is a gun that grants her Ice boost and she can use another of them Icicle vows or something like that to boost her Bufudyne.

Of course boss battle isn't her forte, but I think you can go with any combinations of party members for P4.

She isn't worth using at all in vanilla P4. It is a complete waste of time to even give her a single experience point. Her skillset is junk, the protagonist can do everything she does better, and Megidolaon costs too much SP to use with Mind Charge for a boss battle.

You're right, however, in that you could use a Kagutsuchi Vow. Inferno Vow, or Blaze Vow on her in Golden to make Agidyne hit pretty hard.

PK Gaming

I only mentioned it as an option, but I wasn't seriously advocating it. IE: You should only use it in situations where you have nothing better to do.

It really doesn't matter anyhow. The damage is not that significant of a difference. They're perfectly capable of using Naoto for the final boss if they're playing Golden. :p

Well it's not like they have much of a choice, given the circumstances. And I already covered how to use her in my post.

Caladrius

Pretty sure they are.

If they had SP cost rings equipped mind charge+Megidolaon actually would be usable. Still pretty expensive (38 SP every two turns) and not very powerful but it'll last longer than 8 turns.

Though I agree that it'd be preferable to level the party up rather than have to use 3 1/2 characters.

PK Gaming

You're suggesting that a single character sit there and use items the entire duration of the fight? Yukiko could be leveled up in like ten minutes and be far more useful. :

No, Naoto is on support duty, which covers situational item usage when the time calls for it and offense otherwise. If everyone is healthy & stat buffed, then there's no reason to use items. Playing Naoto that way is far more efficient than grinding up a low level Yukiko, especially considering its the final boss and perfectly beatable without her.

Yeah, I agree. The idea of
the big bad being representative of the collective unconscious was really cool at first, but each time it's happened since then makes it just feel like the lazy, obvious answer.
From what little we've heard from Hashino about P5 though, I feel strangely confident that they'll break the trend. I guess only time will tell though.

Honestly, I would like them to do it one last time.
Namely Erebus, when it gets put down for good.

Soulflarz

Banned
No the real solution is not to let everyone get so far behind in level in the first place. =p

I cant tell if you were joking at them or making fun of my terrible persona 1 playthrough that left me at hours of grinding to beat the final boss

I don't believe we've met. Welcome!

I like how you think

Hai :p
I post here occasionally. I mean its not that frequent, but youll see me from time to time >.>

No the real solution is not to let everyone get so far behind in level in the first place. =p

I personally only used Naoto/Yukiko, Kanji, and Teddie in my vanilla run. Never played Golden. I think I may have used Naoto in the final boss fight for 1st playthrough, not 100% sure (I think she ran out of SP probably like 50% into the fight, and she was in the 90s). None of my party members with the exception of Teddie had
evolved Personas
outside of Yosuke and Chie, who I dropped around
Mitsuo's
dungeon. But I spoiled myself on the game before playing it and looked up a few things so I had Trumpeter and Yoshitsune for the boss with invincible Beelzebub and Lucifer with victory cry for mobs so it was all good. Plus I grinded quite a bit.

You trained everyone when you played through? I personally only stuck with a few. You could use anyone if you wanted and still be OK, but I think some are obviously better than others (Chie is bad midgame, and even not that great endgame versus Kanji unless she has stat boosting items. Naoto in vanilla is only good for mobs.)

Similar thing happened in P3 run, where I dropped everyone endgame except Yukari(healing)/Aigis(buffs), Akihiko(debuffs), and Mitsuru(DPS). Only used the others if my current members tired because I was in great condition. Koro had pretty good resistances, Ken could heal. Never used Junpei though, Da Man's moveset didn't look really appealing to me
I think he's one of the worse party members lol. I think he's more of a mob killer, though I'm not sure. Too bad there's no consistent way to get him to great condition for vorpal blade
. Didn't really matter endgame where I grinded in the extra dungeon until I was in the mid 90s and Armageddon'ed everyone (mobs with victory cry helel, final boss w/ spell master satan).

Xenoflare

She isn't worth using at all in vanilla P4. It is a complete waste of time to even give her a single experience point. Her skillset is junk, the protagonist can do everything she does better, and Megidolaon costs too much SP to use with Mind Charge for a boss battle.

You're right, however, in that you could use a Kagutsuchi Vow. Inferno Vow, or Blaze Vow on her in Golden to make Agidyne hit pretty hard.

I completely forgot that we are talking about Vanilla, yeah, her Vanilla skill set is really nothing to write home about. Megidolaon costs less SP in Golden and now she has access to all four -dynes, though Bufudyne and Ziodyne needs bike days.

But then a wild Yukiko appeared with her
Mind Charge

FWIW I loved using Naoto in Golden, I have a problem that I'm extremely unwilling to swap out party members. I never really used Teddie.
I swapped out Chie for Kanji because Kanji is the best girl, also he gets power charge in golden pretty early due to S.link

I assume you're asking what DPS is. Damage per second. Common term for an MMO character build. The terminology often spills over into how people refer to combat roles in other games.

To be fair, that was bad use of the word especially in a turn-based game. Sorry about that. Basically her damage per turn is high just because of mind charge bufudyne with ice amp and optionally an ice boost accessory, though I prefer null fire. However, because she's AI controlled in FES sometimes she doesn't make the best use of it(she just doesn't use Mind Charge sometimes, while sometimes she uses mind charge against mobs where if she just attacked with bufudyne it would have been better). Plus she has diarahan so she can heal
Nyx/
me.

The AI problem applies to Aigis too because she buffs the team. However, she uses it when her timer runs out (one turn before the others) so she wastes time and SP. Glad that you can control them in P3P.

I completely forgot that we are talking about Vanilla, yeah, her Vanilla skill set is really nothing to write home about. Megidolaon costs less SP in Golden and now she has access to all four -dynes, though Bufudyne and Ziodyne needs bike days.

Mind Charge

FWIW I loved using Naoto in Golden, I have a problem that I'm extremely unwilling to swap out party members. I never really used Teddie.
I swapped out Chie for Kanji because Kanji is the best girl, also he gets power charge in golden pretty early due to S.link

I heard that golden is easier overall due to the additions without really taking anything away outside of party members keeping weaknesses. I also heard of a Hassou Tobi nerf but I'm not sure if that's just rumour or actually a thing. But basically, you can do well with really any team in vanilla (mostly), and they balanced it more so you have even more choice (Naoto basically). Also, I dunno about Kanji being best girl, but without stat boosting items Kanji is arguably better that Chie especially with power charge. Chie is better for mobs with all target attacks and more moves with high crit chance, but all Chie has over Kanji in boss fights is Dragon Hustle, which she can only use sparingly with her SP (I find this ironic because Kanji had Matarukaja for support in vanilla while Chie had slightly higher potential damage, but now Kanji has the better damage and Chie has the better support move).

Slightly related, I think in the next persona game, if they don't make it so allies have sub personas, then they should make it so your allies have more unique moves, rather than being inferior MC's (or nerf MC by taking away things like debilitate, invincible personas and hassou tobi exclusive to MC). Your allies have slightly better stats compared to Personas that the MC can have, such as Yukiko's high magic/SP and Kanji's high strength/HP, but I heard that stat boost cards in Golden make the higher stats redundant if you grind for those. There are a few unique moves that stand out (Yukiko's, but then not really that much better than Ragnarok against boss fights by lategame if you bother using Surt for so long, less SP efficient than Maragidyne against mobs, and weaker even with mind charge+boost+amp than power charge Hassou Tobi; Chie's which is a great buff but can only be used sparingly with her low SP; Naoto's for invincibility in the case that you need it, like in case you want to block a mind charged Megidolaon, though outside of that example there really isn't any need and you could just have an invincible Beelzebub/Trumpeter).

Steel

Banned
One good thing I can say about P4U's story mode:
At least we got to see what the rest of the persona 3 crew is up to these days, and I have a feeling that Gorou(the kid Junpei coaches that gets his own sprite) might show up in Persona 5 in some way.

Beyond that...
So god damned phoned in, it hurts. Still shaking my head that they pretty much reused the final boss fight in the most recent blazblue.

Mind Charge

I have trouble swapping out party members too. Though personally, my party always ends up as
Yosuke(All-arounder, works well with teddy in golden)+Teddy(Buff+heal)+Yukiko(Damage+heal+absurdly high SP). Hate using Kanji, he gets so little SP.

Walshy

I feel as if I am going insane trying to get the reaper to spawn in P4G.

I am doing the Yukiko's castle trick, I hear the chains on the 5F, and then when I open the last and only remaining chest on 5F, nope nothing.

Am I doing something wrong or is he just refusing to spawn for me?

Top Bottom