• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT6| Where 6 Comes Before 5 (No PQ or P4U spoilers!)

Andrefpvs

(P4AU)

What's wrong with the descriptions for the DLC trophies? The icon displays the Japanese title of the game, and the description appears to have gone through Google Translate:

08f642076a.png

Anyone know if this will be fixed?

Dantis

The Persona GAF IRC logs during last year's November event and this year's TGS panel are still accurate testaments to how I feel about P4D. I just... it confuses me in so many ways.

I think it'll be great.

The new trailer renewed my confidence in it, even if it does look like it's somewhat changed direction.

FluxWaveZ

I think it'll be great.

The new trailer renewed my confidence in it, even if it does look like it's somewhat changed direction.

It's a Persona game, so it'll probably be good, but that doesn't change the fact that I feel very, very weird looking at everyone but Rise dancing. And then I envision Izanagi dancing, or whatever story that the game will have to justify it all... Yep.

It's a Persona game, so it'll probably be good, but that doesn't change the fact that I feel very, very weird looking at everyone but Rise dancing. And then I envision Izanagi dancing, or whatever story that the game will have to justify it all... Yep.

I originally felt the same way, but lets face it, Yu will just excel at ANYTHING he puts his mind to, Yosuke is looking cocky as ever, Chie is just Kung-fu'ing to a beat and Kanji is just a BAMF.

I have complete faith in making no one feel out of place when dancing.

Except Naoto.

Naoto will be weird.
They'll probably pull it off somehow though.

arue

FWIW, my interview with Aigis/Nanako and Yukiko voice actresses should be going up on Thursday?

But yeah, I wish I had some P4D news too :(
Another one of those videos? I'd love to see more of them :D

The Persona GAF IRC logs during last year's November event and this year's TGS panel are still accurate testaments to how I feel about P4D. I just... it confuses me in so many ways.
It's almost been a year since that November Atlus Announcement huh? I never thought that we would get minimal amount of reveal for P4D a year after the announcement.

Levito

Banned
Looking forward to seeing those interviews with Amanda and Karen. Amanda is hilarious and Karen is the nicest person ever. That reminds me that I'm trying to get a particular actor on S.Link before the end of the year. No hints though.

Verder

I'm so glad atlus will finally be wrapping up p4's plot with DAN.

Shiiit I wouldn't be surprised if they Make a p4 musou

Steel

Banned
Shiiit I wouldn't be surprised if they Make a p4 musou

The sad thing is, a Persona Musou would probably better than a fighting game, and definitely better than a dancing game. Hell, thinking about it, mindlessly slashing through hordes of shadows in concert with a persona might even be a better than average musou.

Xenoflare

The sad thing is, a Persona Musou would probably better than a fighting game, and definitely better than a dancing game. Hell, thinking about it, mindlessly slashing through hordes of shadows in concert with a persona might even be a better than average musou.

With cel shaded graphics. It could be a hit.

Since we are just making stuff up now.... What about a Platinum Games x Persona collab and let PG make a Bayonetta-esque action game?

I would so totally buy the hell out of it

Nachos

Lol, thats jokes.

Oh yeah, where's the latest slink ep. It's not on the site.

eHDKXBH.gif

(That, or Levito decided to learn blacksmithing at the most inconvenient time.)

Looking forward to seeing those interviews with Amanda and Karen. Amanda is hilarious and Karen is the nicest person ever. That reminds me that I'm trying to get a particular actor on S.Link before the end of the year. No hints though.

Hoping it's Lowenthal or Platt, so that they might be able to rope the other on the show for a husband-and-wife duo.

Squire

Banned
Here's a question, what's with "The Evil Within" title displayed in your avatar pic? Ive seen a ton of gaffers with the samething.

Day 1 purchase btw. Mikami ftw.

Ah, yes.

We're all hyped for The Evil Within, so gaffers have been getting their avatars edited to reflect that. My avatar is actually one of Mahiru Koizumis' sprites from DanganRonpa 2.

Recently started using Tumblr more often, and it makes me realize that there is a lot of dialogue that I missed in Persona 4 / was added to Golden, not including the events like beach and ski trips.
It's too bad the Golden will probably not be released as a port for console. Hoping for that definitive P3 with added content.

Squire

Banned
Can you really call Ardha a guy though

Yes.

MegaTen Wiki said:
The term 'Ardhanarishvara' is a combination of three words- 'ardha', 'nari' and 'ishvara', meaning respectively, 'half', 'woman' and 'Lord' or 'God', that is, Ardhanarishvara is the Lord Who is Half Woman. The god is male on one side and female on the other, depicted with the male half bearing aspects of Shiva and the female half bearing aspects of Parvati.

http://megamitensei.wikia.com/wiki/Ardha

Xenoflare

Recently started using Tumblr more often, and it makes me realize that there is a lot of dialogue that I missed in Persona 4 / was added to Golden, not including the events like beach and ski trips.
It's too bad the Golden will probably not be released as a port for console. Hoping for that definitive P3 with added content.

But a
definitive version of P3 means that it will be it's 4th iteration. I'm not sure if I'm a fan of that.

But a
definitive version of P3 means that it will be it's 4th iteration. I'm not sure if I'm a fan of that.

To be honest it would probably just be a P3P with models for exploring the city, possibly more added content, and slightly better graphics. It's probably more likely to get something else P4 related announced before something P3 related.

Like yet another P4 anime (I think they're done outside of bonus episode).
tumblr_n8xzz2JE5w1rmed8jo1_500.jpg

To be honest it would probably just be a P3P with models for exploring the city, possibly more added content, and slightly better graphics. It's probably more likely to get something else P4 related announced before something P3 related.

Like yet another P4 anime (I think they're done outside of bonus episode).
tumblr_n8xzz2JE5w1rmed8jo1_500.jpg
Excellent picture. Fuuka should have been Rise instead of Naoto though.

wmlk

I originally felt the same way, but lets face it, Yu will just excel at ANYTHING he puts his mind to, Yosuke is looking cocky as ever, Chie is just Kung-fu'ing to a beat and Kanji is just a BAMF.

I have complete faith in making no one feel out of place when dancing.

Except Naoto.

Naoto will be weird.
They'll probably pull it off somehow though.

Isn't the Persona team working on that now? I think they know their characters pretty well, and I hope that they don't mess it up.

Excellent picture. Fuuka should have been Rise instead of Naoto though.

But Rise is worst girl anyways. jk. I assume your reasoning is their support roles and it would make sense in terms of order that they join

Also, can anyone explain to me why Cu Chullain was chosen for Margaret in Arena vs say, Oukininushi(?) or Siegried
or Oberon
? I thought at first it was because in addition to physical attacks, he also has wind, and Ardha has fire/ice, and Yoshitsune has electric (technically learns ziodyne and inherently repels electric, but all anyone really cares about is Hassou Tobi). The only other thing I can think of is that he has a spear and Yoshitsune already has swords. Maybe they just used him cuz why not.

Also, a random thing that kinda bugged me, but in P4 for midterms I think that the test music would play, stop at the end of each day, then restart from the beginning on the next midterm. In P3 I don't think this happened? Or maybe I'm remembering incorrectly.

But Rise is worst girl anyways. jk. I assume your reasoning is their support roles and it would make sense in terms of order that they join

Also, can anyone explain to me why Cu Chullain was chosen for Margaret in Arena vs say, Oukininushi(?) or Siegried
or Oberon
? I thought at first it was because in addition to physical attacks, he also has wind, and Ardha has fire/ice, and Yoshitsune has electric (technically learns ziodyne and inherently repels electric, but all anyone really cares about is Hassou Tobi). The only other thing I can think of is that he has a spear and Yoshitsune already has swords. Maybe they just used him cuz why not.

Also, a random thing that kinda bugged me, but in P4 for midterms I think that the test music would play, stop at the end of each day, then restart from the beginning on the next midterm. In P3 I don't think this happened? Or maybe I'm remembering incorrectly.
Now that you mention it, Sigfreid would have made more sense.
Understandable for Okuninushi and Oberon, since they just don't look that cool.

Now that you mention it, Sigfreid would have made more sense.
Understandable for Okuninushi and Oberon, since they just don't look that cool.

I wouldn't have minded Oberon lol. Of course there would be a range disadvantage for any physical attacks with his small size and sword and an easier time avoiding persona breaks. Though I guess it would have been far less impressive to get killed by Megidolaon in an instant kill from a Persona that's probably about Nanako's height, rather than from Helel's Morning Star.

Unrelated from before, but is there anything in particular that people want from Persona 5 vs the older Persona games? Atlus said that players would be at home with Persona 5 but they would change a few things (or something like that).

Xenoflare

Unrelated from before, but is there anything in particular that people want from Persona 5 vs the older Persona games? Atlus said that players would be at home with Persona 5 but they would change a few things (or something like that).

I would actually like the persona system for Persona Q, where everyone has a default persona and sub personas that can be obtained and fused.

But that's just me.

Acid08

Banned
What are your persona 4 game stats?

http://en.shindanmaker.com/478252

For me:
Courage: Daring
Knowledge: Expert
Expression: Enthralling
Understanding: Generous
Diligence: Thorough

quick reference to the levels: http://strategywiki.org/wiki/Shin_Megami_Tensei:_Persona_4/Stats
GAF name:

My P4 stats
Courage: Reliable
Knowledge: Sage
Expression: Persuasive
Understanding: Basic
Diligence: Thorough

My P4 stats
Courage: Average
Knowledge: Broad
Expression: Touching
Understanding: Kindly
Diligence: Rock Solid

I would actually like the persona system for Persona Q, where everyone has a default persona and sub personas that can be obtained and fused.

But that's just me.

I think it's not a bad idea. I think I voiced my opinion on this, but it makes it so your members are not as much inferior MC's (ex: P3 you were OP due to Armageddon and the like, and actually choosing your own moves. In P4 you has Hassou Tobi). The only other choice would be to give your allies a several GOOD unique moves each (Burning Petals was OK/useful at times, Man's Way kinda sucked) and even then, some room for customization (skill cards like in PQ?).

The only problem with sub personas is that they have to change the wild card concept or have to force there to be 2 wild card users on the team. It was discussed before, but maybe like a male/female MC where you play as one and the other is a party member, though there are problems like who is canonically the leader, what their personalities are, etc.

Other thoughts:
There's usually a human villain in Persona games and an evil god, and I wouldn't mind if the human was slightly stronger? In P3 and P4 I beat the human villains quite easily (Armageddon cuz I was overleveled, but I imagine Mind Charge Thunder Reign would be pretty easy, and Debilitate+ Power Charge + Hassou Tobi with auto taru). Maybe make the villain also have wild card powers and switch through personas so they can be challenging, more like Marge? Also, it was discussed before, but maybe the god can actually have a will of its own and purposely cause evil, instead of doing things because that's what mankind wants secretly? P.s The idea for a wild card villain was stuck in my head and I thought it could be cool, and after you beat the game you can play from the 'bad guy's point of view, but now I realize the idea sounds kinda like terrible fanfiction.

Also as stated before, add unique moves to both party members and certain personas. Fire of Sinai was kinda bad but still unique, Death Flies was pretty cool, Celestial Ray was also rather bad, Freikugel+Pierce was OP, etc. Even if they are functionally the same the change in attack animation and stuff would be nice for me. As of now, physical spells are relatively diverse due to multiple hits, varying crit chance/hit rate/damage, and chance of side effects (though some of this is not shown as info for the moves). For better or for worse, in P4 that's all within one element (which unfortunately makes physical resistances better than magical resistances. So Slime is really good because it can give resist physical. Kaiwan trick for Tetrakarn can give you OP things like Victory Cry and Brave Blade, but you can also get repel phys and troll tons of enemies). Meanwhile for the majority of magical damage, is spell, ma-spell for all targets, spell-la and spell-dyne for higher level, for each of the 4 elements. Diversity would be welcome, because right now it's mainly just adding damage for the single hit and/or targeting multiple enemies, and that's all there is to magical damage (Smt nocturne had random target i think, and also i recall unique spells that could deal magic damage and status ailment). P3 had shock and freeze conditions, though the only problem was that elec was theoretically the best because if you don't mind the SP cost; you have Thunder Reign for instant shock, meaning guaranteed crits, while Niflheim guaranteed freeze for only increased chance for crits while having the same SP cost as Thunder Reign, and fire and wind have reduced SP costs but no other benefits.

Granted, magic doesn't need to be as complex because its main benefit is just knocking down enemies that leads to an All out Attack that destroys 90% of enemies instantly. This leads to problems with the mechanics I guess, because that means if you want to just kill enemies with All out Attacks it is better to use mazio than maziodyne because you still down the enemies and conserve more SP. In addition, this also means that if you wanted highest Potential damage against an enemy in a mob (which is unnecessary), you would thereotically: Cast a Ma-spell and hit the desired enemy and miss everyone else outside of one other enemy that gets knocked down. Then do it again with the 1 more, hitting the desired enemy with the ma-spell, missing everyone else except one person who gets knocked down. And repeat until everyone is knocked down then All out Attack. This whole concept is theoretical and pretty much useless in application, but basically what I'm trying to say is that I think it's flawed that you would be able to do more damage in one turn against one specific enemy, assuming perfect RNG etc, if there were more enemies in the mob with an exploitable weakness. As in, if you had to fight the Reaper, you would have an easier time if there were a lot of enemies with weaknesses fought alongside it, rather than if the Reaper had no allies with it. (did I ever mention that I think the Reaper is pretty cool? I think it would be cool if the enemy villain had the ability to control it and make it fight for him/her like how it does in the Persona 4 animation).

There's probably other things that come to mind because but I can't remember things at the moment. Often times I think about these things randomly, like when I should be studying, so the things that come to mind are often pretty bad because I don't bother thinking them through. Sorry if it seems like I'm saying the gameplay is bad and stuff, it's not, just thinking of things that could possibly be changed when going to P5. Also apologies for being kind of long, going pretty off topic from what I was replying to, and probably being filled with tons of grammar mistakes.

Xenoflare

It makes it so your members are not as much inferior MC's

The only problem with sub personas is that they have to change the wild card concept or have to force there to be 2 wild card users on the team. It was discussed before, but maybe like a male/female MC where you play as one and the other is a party member, though there are problems like who is canonically the leader, what their personalities are, etc.

I would actually love have team members that are on parity with the MC, and everyone has the ability to access the velvet room. Although that would mean the S.link system might need a revamp since it's circulates around the MC and strengthen their respective Arcanas.

I would also like to add that....
I am in favor of getting rid of the silent protagonist and I've said this before. I don't think the silent protag thing has any merit other than following the SMT tradition. In P3/4, the protagonist's look and personality are already pre-established throughout the choices in the game and the OHHH HEYY YER SEW RELIABLE SEMPIE (P4 is so guilty of this).You don't need a silent protag to utilize the choice system, plenty of games gives you both voiced protagonists and extensive dialogue options.

^Not going to happen, I'm sure of it.

I would actually love have team members that are on parity with the MC, and everyone has the ability to access the velvet room. Although that would mean the S.link system might need a revamp since it's circulates around the MC and strengthen their respective Arcanas.

I would also like to add that....
I am in favor of getting rid of the silent protagonist and I've said this before. I don't think the silent protag thing has any merit other than following the SMT tradition. In P3/4, the protagonist's look and personality are already pre-established throughout the choices in the game and the OHHH HEYY YER SEW RELIABLE SEMPIE (P4 is so guilty of this).You don't need a silent protag to utilize the choice system, plenty of games gives you both voiced protagonists and extensive dialogue options.

^Not going to happen, I'm sure of it.

I'm not sure how the wild card actually functions, and whether being of the wild card status makes you more powerful or whether being of the Fool arcana does that. Is it what gives you the ability to have multiple personas? Is it the ability to make bonds with others to strengthen yourself?

And yeah, I wouldn't mind main characters that talked with actual voice so they could talk in conversations and be their own characters, or even something like voicing the different options you can get, somewhat like Mass Effect. However, this sets a certain personality for the character rather than a blank slate, so there's less room for deviation (like the silly things that you can say in P4 such as that bleachers thing with Rise, or acting like a jerk in P3 sometimes like saying your friend should get running shoes for his cousin unable to walk). Though when it comes to anime and the manga, the main characters get personalities anyways: P4 is generally nice though quirky/silly at times (King's Game) while P3 is less social/outgoing and more uncaring.

Relevant:

tumblr_inline_n2yrkeBs4U1qimb91.jpg

tumblr_inline_n2ys8biabt1qimb91.jpg

Meia

To allow EVERY member of the party to swap personas means that the entire battle system needs to be changed. It can already be too easy with smart usage of varied Personas with the MC to hardly ever allow an enemy to even attack, if EVERYONE has that capability than the only enemies that would ever even get a round in would be bosses.

I am ALL for the series going more like SMT with much more varied spells, including spells that are locked to some personas and can never be carried over. And yes, this includes party members. Giving each party member a unique skill in P4G at persona tier 3 was a neat idea, with it's only drawback being it was kind of thrown in so it wasn't really balanced(i.e. all of the guy's spells sucked in comparison to the OP female's spells). I'd love to see this idea continued on. I mean, Chie is weaker than Kanji in terms of damage output(not much with Golden, but still there). So why not have each of them have a unique physical attack from their persona that no one else gets, but focuses on a different thing? Hell, going back to three physical attributes would be a good thing(I'd settle for 2).

tumblr_inline_n2yrkeBs4U1qimb91.jpg

IIRC doesn't she mock you if you pick that last option? :p

Top Bottom