• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT6| Where 6 Comes Before 5 (No PQ or P4U spoilers!)

Nimby

Banned
tumblr_ndcy3eB1p31si48w3o1_1280.jpg

Now we need a new Jack Bros. starring Rise, Naoto and Kanji.

So we did an off topic episode of the podcast about a videogame that came out recently:

(click image for episode link)

Though at one moment Armada made the argument that Nocturne, P2, and P4 all resonate with people cause they form an emotional connection with their narrative. While this other here videogame(Destiny) doesn't in the slightest.

As someone that has played every single halo game like a mad man possessed, I can safely say, Destiny is a pile of shit. It has less content than Halo 1??????????? The story sucks, boring environments, no interactions in the central hub with other players, same old missions, etc.

I thought the multiplayer would save it, but the maps are terrible, there's only 3 major playlist, next to no vehicles, etc, etc. It's a watered down halo game.

I have no doubt that everything we expected to be in the game will be DLC down the road. I actually have no desire to play this game again. Biggest letdown title in recent memory.

UPDATE: Just finished the podcast. You guys nailed everything that i was thinking.

I still don't understand how Destiny is some of the most fun I've had playing a video game this year despite the fact that I could list way more problems I have with the game than things I like about it, I guess the fact that the game met my expectations helped. I'm interested to see where Bungie takes it from here even if Ultimax has occupied Destiny's slot as my time killer game.

Nimby

Banned
I'm kinda glad Destiny didn't stick with me like for some people. The shooting is fun, but everything is starved and contrived, I don't wanna live from loot drop to Cryptarch.

Cool fact for PGAF:

I am in a presentations class for my degree, and the topic for the midterm assignment this week is gaming. A group of me and 3 others have to present a game and convince the audience to buy the one that we chose, my group picked RPGs as our genre. Of course, I am representing PGAF over here with Persona 3 :p It is this Thursday, but with midterms and all I will be pulling a lot of info from my own head on the spot, I don't have time to actually write up a script and memorize it. The slides are done, the business getup is ready, now it's just wait until thursday comes. Wish me luck guys!

Soulflarz

Banned
Cool fact for PGAF:

I am in a presentations class for my degree, and the topic for the midterm assignment this week is gaming. A group of me and 3 others have to present a game and convince the audience to buy the one that we chose, my group picked RPGs as our genre. Of course, I am representing PGAF over here with Persona 3 :p It is this Thursday, but with midterms and all I will be pulling a lot of info from my own head on the spot, I don't have time to actually write up a script and memorize it. The slides are done, the business getup is ready, now it's just wait until thursday comes. Wish me luck guys!

Im curious how this will go :p (since persona+school=yay!)

Im curious how this will go :p (since persona+school=yay!)

Our last presentation was a formal business solo one, on a topic given to us by the prof so we wouldn't be familiar with it. The objective was to sound confident and literally bullshit the audience, pretty much. I got to do my presentation on a Vectors Software, and got myself an 87 aha. I trust that I will do well enough. Time constraints will be the only problem

I would throw tomatoes.

That's just mean /: LOL

Marche90

Cool fact for PGAF:

Man, this really sounds really cool. Tell us how it goes!

kewlmyc

Cool fact for PGAF:

Good luck. I would have chose Persona 4 honestly even though I like P3 more. You're convincing a bunch of students to buy a game where you shoot yourself in the head to summon demons. Once again, good luck. :p

Good luck. I would have chose Persona 4 honestly even though I like P3 more. You're convincing a bunch of students to buy a game where you shoot yourself in the head to summon demons. Once again, good luck. :p

This here is exactly why I chose it. It is such a risky choice that I just had to go for it aha. I start off talking about the daily life, sim elements of the game, how they connect to your stats, and how at night you fight the enemies, the Shadows. That's when I introduce Personas as the embodiments of the characters inner psyche, that only come out with that shot to the head.

I even made sure to use a clip of Minato/Makoto's awakening, before going into the whole Evoker mechanics. I plan on getting input on the topic from the audience too to make the whole thing more dynamic/interactive.

Cool fact for PGAF:

Good Luck! Right at the end of the presentation once you've sold people on the game you should just spoil the ending.

Just curious, who here like spoiling themselves before playing the games, or just in general looking things up about it? I'm guilty of that, though I'm under the impression that most people like to go in mostly blind.

Also I think P4 Light the Fire Up in the Night is better than P3's just because of the instrumentation in the chorus and P3's shortened loops. But again, it seems that the majority like P3's more because of the singer (and I won't argue against that).

Sorry, I'm just really hyped about PQ. If I would ever get a 3DS, it would be because of this game, and maybe other games like Smash and Fire Emblem
I also have no motivation to study for my midterms coming up this week.

And happy Thanksgiving to those who celebrate it (I'm in Canada, but I think there are a fair amount of others too.

Cool fact for PGAF:

Hmm, honest question: How would your class react to a game where people shoot themselves in the head and has character designs like Takaya? I was thinking about one day showing the games off in one presentation in my previous school, but due to some students and their behavior, anything that seemed anime was dangerous to like and people resort to jokes and stuff (and to be honest, that affected me too lol I still kinda have a thing against anime but I'm cool with games like Persona, DR, FE A, Uprising, etc. so whatever). I suppose something like P4 would be safer, but the names of it are more Japanese than P3's.

Just curious, who here like spoiling themselves before playing the games, or just in general looking things up about it? I'm guilty of that, though I'm under the impression that most people like to go in mostly blind.
]
I spoiled myself on both PQ and Ultimax. I think it was for the best in both cases, for different reasons...

And happy Thanksgiving to those who celebrate it (I'm in Canada, but I think there are a fair amount of others too.

Likewise, eh!

PK Gaming

So we did an off topic episode of the podcast about a videogame that came out recently:

(click image for episode link)

Though at one moment Armada made the argument that Nocturne, P2, and P4 all resonate with people cause they form an emotional connection with their narrative. While this other here videogame(Destiny) doesn't in the slightest.

EDIT: Also, there's potentially 2 spots open for the Ultimax spoilercast happening this coming weekend if anyone wants in. If you're interested, PM me.

Pleasantly surprised by this episode. You guys really tore into the game, but in a meticulous manner, so I was able to fully understand your problems with it.

My only regret is that I never played Destiny. It feels like I would have been constantly nodding my head in agreement and shouting "YEAH."

LX_Theo

Banned

Also I think P4 Light the Fire Up in the Night is better than P3's just because of the instrumentation in the chorus and P3's shortened loops. But again, it seems that the majority like P3's more because of the singer (and I won't argue against that).

Sorry, I'm just really hyped about PQ. If I would ever get a 3DS, it would be because of this game, and maybe other games like Smash and Fire Emblem
I also have no motivation to study for my midterms coming up this week.

Any game with a story driven design is better not to have spoiled. Wouldn't want to the main event of something I like to lose its impact.

Levito

Banned
On spoiling games: Depends what it is honestly. If it's like a silly first person shooter like Wolfenstein I don't mind. Though for something plot and story heavy like say Danganronpa, Hell no. Same applies for Persona 5, where I'll probably have to peace out from the internet. Though I rarely actively seek out spoilers regardless.

Pleasantly surprised by this episode. You guys really tore into the game, but in a meticulous manner, so I was able to fully understand your problems with it.

It's weird playing something like Soul Hackers which was like 1/1,000,000th the budget but it's more engaging on virtually every level than Destiny. Not that budget necessarily indicative of quality, but it's still nuts.

Didn't mean to derail the thread btw, mostly just wanted to share the title card TrueSelf made. Hah

Kazzy

On spoiling games: Depends what it is honestly. If it's like a silly first person shooter like Wolfenstein I don't mind. Though for something plot and story heavy like say Danganronpa, Hell no. Same applies for Persona 5, where I'll probably have to peace out from the internet. Though I rarely actively seek out spoilers regardless.

That's one of the big reasons I went dark from the community for so long. I literally have zero interest in gleaning any additional information regarding upcoming Persona games, from trailers and the like. Though it's naive to think you can approach media completely 'pure', I still like to make the experience as undiluted as possible.

Hmm, honest question: How would your class react to a game where people shoot themselves in the head and has character designs like Takaya? I was thinking about one day showing the games off in one presentation in my previous school, but due to some students and their behavior, anything that seemed anime was dangerous to like and people resort to jokes and stuff (and to be honest, that affected me too lol I still kinda have a thing against anime but I'm cool with games like Persona, DR, FE A, Uprising, etc. so whatever). I suppose something like P4 would be safer, but the names of it are more Japanese than P3's.

I'm in software development, more than 90% of the students there are either hardcore nerds (no offence to those who code, I am in the program too after all, although I am not as passionate about it as many others), or are familiar with games/anime. It's not a problem, and it is after all an assignment dedicated to gaming. I feel like if anything, it'll be a breath of fresh air. Most of the themes in the game actually deal with topics that we talk about in that class, like facing your fears, your inner psyche, projection of your image in society, etc. Trust me, I picked the game knowing that these were things that we talked about in class, something that the prof, which ultimately is the one marking me regardless of the audience's reaction, would enjoy and actually listen to.

Any game with a story driven design is better not to have spoiled. Wouldn't want to the main event of something I like to lose its impact.

That's true. I personally still enjoy the moments when playing through it, even if I know what's going to happen. Mostly comes into play so I don't get the bad ending/to satisfy my thirst or hype for the game, or for things P3 spoilers
like when Shinjiro dies. If I played through P3P without playing through the male side first, I would fail maxing his Social Link, and might have invested more time into him than others, especially since he learns power charge and god's hand at high levels (though I never trained him that much compared to others)

I only know a few from a bit of Tumblr, but how are the personalities and interactions like in PQ for any who have played? Is it like P4A(U) where the characters seem to have less depth to them (ex: Kanji in P4A)? All I've spoiled myself on is the plot, but not as much on the actual character interactions/skits.

We need Yosuke to tell his senpai to step it up

That's true. I personally still enjoy the moments when playing through it, even if I know what's going to happen. Mostly comes into play so I don't get the bad ending/to satisfy my thirst or hype for the game, or for things P3 spoilers
like when Shinjiro dies. If I played through P3P without playing through the male side first, I would fail maxing his Social Link, and might have invested more time into him than others, especially since he learns power charge and god's hand at high levels (though I never trained him that much compared to others)

I only know a few from a bit of Tumblr, but how are the personalities and interactions like in PQ for any who have played? Is it like P4A(U) where the characters seem to have less depth to them (ex: Kanji in P4A)? All I've spoiled myself on is the plot, but not as much on the actual character interactions/skits.

Going by the liveblog I've followed (also on Tumblr, so you might have already seen it) the characters seem to be nicely rounded and well put together.

Dantis

Apparently this is exactly what it's like, and that's how it seems in the trailers, also.

sjack

Banned
Hey gang-I need help. I decided to finally cave in and get a vita for Golden. I had beaten vanilla 3 and 4 on the PS2, so thinking the Persona veteran that I was, I decided to crank the difficulty on hard-that was a mistake. I'm a guy who likes to do a rescue mission in one go so I can spend as much time as possible on s links-playing the game on hard makes that really difficult and a lot of times I'm actually forced to go in twice.

My goal at the moment is to get Marie's S link at max so I can do her dungeon, pursue every love interest to the max
so I can get called out by everyone on Valentine's Day (no spoilers please for any of these) and get Adachi's S. Link to the max so I can get his bad ending (I realize this conflicts with the others, but I plan to load before that and then pursue the rest of the content (also no spoilers again please))
. I'm currently at the Rise and Teddie boss fight in Rise's dungeon. I'm worried that since I'm this far in the game, doing all of what I mentioned above would be impossible. Here are my stats and s link progress so far:

Magician: Rank 6
Priestess: Rank 1
Hierophant: Rank 4
Chariot: Rank 3
Justice: Rank 4
Hermit: Rank 5
Strength: Rank 3
Temperance: Rank 4
Devil: Rank 3
Sun: Rank 5
Jest: Rank 1
Aeon: Rank 4

Stats:

Courage: Brave
Diligence: Strong
Understanding: Generous
Expression: Persuasive
Knowledge: Informed

Any advice, or should I not worry at all?

I'm not really the guy to help with your problem, but could you please spoiler tag your post? (Specifically your goals). Significant parts of it spoil P4G for those who haven't finished it.

Meia

Hey gang-I need help. I decided to finally cave in and get a vita for Golden. I had beaten vanilla 3 and 4 on the PS2, so thinking the Persona veteran that I was, I decided to crank the difficulty on hard-that was a mistake. I'm a guy who likes to do a rescue mission in one go so I can spend as much time as possible on s links-playing the game on hard makes that really difficult and a lot of times I'm actually forced to go in twice.

My goal at the moment is to get Marie's S link at max so I can do her dungeon, pursue every love interest to the max
so I can get called out by everyone on Valentine's Day (no spoilers please for any of these) and get Adachi's S. Link to the max so I can get his bad ending (I realize this conflicts with the others, but I plan to load before that and then pursue the rest of the content (also no spoilers again please))
. I'm currently at the Rise and Teddie boss fight in Rise's dungeon. I'm worried that since I'm this far in the game, doing all of what I mentioned above would be impossible. Here are my stats and s link progress so far:

Magician: Rank 6
Priestess: Rank 1
Hierophant: Rank 4
Chariot: Rank 3
Justice: Rank 4
Hermit: Rank 5
Strength: Rank 3
Temperance: Rank 4
Devil: Rank 3
Sun: Rank 5
Jest: Rank 1
Aeon: Rank 4

Stats:

Courage: Brave
Diligence: Strong
Understanding: Generous
Expression: Persuasive
Knowledge: Informed

Any advice, or should I not worry at all?

Your goals aren't really that hard to do, you just need to keep in mind the important deadlines:

- Jester must be at rank 6 by early November.
- Aeon must be maxed by end of December(so 24th I think). The link starts and stops because of the investigation, but you can spend every single day with her in December because of this.

Everything else is just easy as long as you keep in mind what you want to do. Not like you said this was a max social link run with every link or anything. :p

It's weird playing something like Soul Hackers which was like 1/1,000,000th the budget but it's more engaging on virtually every level than Destiny. Not that budget necessarily indicative of quality, but it's still nuts.

Didn't mean to derail the thread btw, mostly just wanted to share the title card TrueSelf made. Hah
I don't own Destiny, but I played the beta, but I think compared to Destiny Soul Hackers was a much more focused game than what Destiny was.

Going by the liveblog I've followed (also on Tumblr, so you might have already seen it) the characters seem to be nicely rounded and well put together.

Apparently this is exactly what it's like, and that's how it seems in the trailers, also.

I guess I'll just have to wait to the English release.

I guess it's because Q is closer and is an RPG, but I don't even know what to expect from Dancing All Night in terms of story and character development. We aren't even sure how it makes sense considering where the epilogue takes place.

tumblr_mwru937Ica1ql4jmko1_400.png

I guess that we'll finally have Yosuke telling his senpai to step it up in DAN.

84X

Banned
I joined when I had something worth discussing but I have since forgot. Oh well...

As an aside, the P5 protagonist looks like someone I'd enjoy punching in the face.

Just 100% finished Ultimax. Brilliant story. I really enjoyed it. There are a few personal complaints here and there (see a few pages back), but overall, im satisfied. A great single player experience for a fighting game.

Surprisingly, i preferred the P3 side over P4. Strange as im 100% a P4 fan.

Update : Just realised i still have the
Adachi
episode to play. My journey continues. It will have to wait until tomorrow though. I wanna focus on the evil within tonight.

Top Bottom