• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT6| Where 6 Comes Before 5 (No PQ or P4U spoilers!)

Rhapsody

Banned
Like I said in the BB thread, I'm willing to help anyone out in whatever way I can.

If people honestly wanted to PM, skype, online training for that, I'd be happy to.

Ironically enough I too understand all those terms and still fail miserably, I just don't memorize moves too well, and that I guess is because I don't take the time to practice. And when I do feel like I "master" something, all it takes is me to go online and realize that I forgot the move, and get wrecked. Sigh... I will be needing some guidance too guys.

RedGraveXIII

Neo Member
I was being serious. If you know what those notations mean, you're a good step to understanding any of the more advanced techniques of BB, and from then on it's all about training and learning by playing matches.

From what little experience I have, another big aspect about learning to play fighting games is finding friends to play with who are around your skill level. There's only so much you can learn by getting destroyed by randoms.

PK Gaming

224679.jpg

FluxWaveZ

From what little experience I have, another big aspect about learning to play fighting games is finding friends to play with who are around your skill level. There's only so much you can learn by getting destroyed by randoms.

I don't agree with that, because I got to where I am in P4A just by fighting randoms. It's just another path to improvement, but just by fighting your friends you come across the danger of adapting too much to how they specifically fight, and then find yourself lost when people don't play like your friends at all. By playing randoms, you get exposed to a large variety of playstyles and skill levels, which is what I personally think is a great way to get better.

P4A was the first fighting game I took really seriously. I spent a lot of time initially intentionally facing people way above my skill level and then watching my replays and analyzing all the stuff I was doing wrong.

Acid08

Banned
I was being serious. If you know what those notations mean, you're a good step to understanding any of the more advanced techniques of BB, and from then on it's all about training and learning by playing matches.
Ah alright then, I suppose picking a character I want to learn is the next step. I'm still feeling that out.

Acid08

Banned
but just by fighting your friends you come across the danger of adapting too much to how they specifically fight, and then find yourself lost when people don't play like your friends at all. By playing randoms, you get exposed to a large variety of playstyles and skill levels, which is what I personally think is a great way to get better.
This happened to me with Marvel 2. Spent sooooo much time just playing with friends that I didn't actually learn much because we all only played each other and learned each others tendencies. When I started playing other people it opened up my world with that game.

If you have friends that are also actively learning and improving it could be super useful though.

Xenoflare

I just realized that I never used one more bursts in P4A.

I got the game since release day, although I never really played much online.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
Do you mean, like "spammers" or people who rely on auto-combos all the time? Not to imply you're looking to, but if one wants to improve at the game, negatively perceiving others' playstyles is probably the first mindset to get rid of.

Yeah, I guess you're right. But I can't help it even in other genres.

Really hoping he ends up as part of a super

Also I missed it earlier when people were throwing out twitter handles, I'm @theidlemaster if anyone wants to give me a follow. I'm protected for various reasons but accept just about everyone.
Pfffthahahaha, godlike.

EDIT: For those who want to follow me, it's @TWILTHERO

Got you! I think I managed to get everyone that put out their twitter today. If not, then feel free to follow me and I'll follow you back.
And as awesome as a Makoto super would be, I really just want him to be playable... A character as important as him not being in the roster saddens me, although the reasons why he isn't there are pretty obvious... It really would be awesome if you unlocked him after finishing the story mode.

Rhapsody

Banned

Kinda yes, but kinda no. Everyone learn in different ways. You can learn by getting destroyed by randoms as long as you're able to take in what you can get. You just need to break down what went down.

Learning a game with someone else is certainly helpful, especially those actively trying to get better.
I think anyone can get good though once they just sit down have someone show them the basics.

Uhh.... you haven't played fighting games recently have you? Nevermind the impossibility of hitting both Up and Down at the same time. :p

For the record, what you're describing is not combos, but execution. Of which the original Persona 4 Arena had pretty straight execution requirements. Most of them were Quarter Circles + a single button press. :

Ah execution was the term I was looking for.

The example I made was just a joke though just to make a point...even though the example was kind of ridiculous. XD

redhairedking

Kinda yes, but kinda no. Everyone learn in different ways. You can learn by getting destroyed by randoms as long as you're able to take in what you can get. You just need to break down what went down.

Learning a game with someone else is certainly helpful, especially those actively trying to get better.
I think anyone can get good though once they just sit down have someone show them the basics.

I personally find it rather difficult to pick out what went wrong when I get absolutely annihilated online. Playing with people of my skill level works much better.

Rhapsody

Banned
I personally find it rather difficult to pick out what went wrong when I get absolutely annihilated online. Playing with people of my skill level works much better.

I guess for me it's so much easier to see what I did wrong and what they did right. Why my move missed, why theirs landed. Why I get counter hit, how they escaped out of my pressure. That kind of stuff.

Facing legit people helps too since they'll be less yolo or crazy. Unfortunately online kinda makes finding those people difficult.

kewlmyc

*P3/P4A spoilers*
Even if Elizabeth's quest pays off, she said that it could take years or eons to complete it. Her acquisition of the fool card was just the start of her journey to save him. It's been like 2 days since the end of Arena 1. It'd be silly if she completed her journey in the course of two days. P5 confirmed to take place in the year 3000

Mdesilva

Fighting game talk, eh? Guess I'll chime in and tell you why *I* think I'm bad.

Converting hits into combos is HARD. Landing them is one thing, but I autopilot way too hard and don't get the right stuff. That's why I like playing Chie, as I can just knockdown, mixup, and repeat :p

I'm also really impatient and struggle with neutral really badly.

RedGraveXIII

Neo Member
That's crazy--it took me over 90 hours. I'm on the slow end, but not that slow.

I'd say it's a little longer than Persona 4, so use your time there as a reference. They're pretty close.

It's pretty funny how different playthrough times of these games can be lol. Persona 3 took me 65 hours, but Persona 4 somehow took me 90. The longest playthrough time I've seen for P3 was 140 hours and he was still underleveled for the final boss!

Xenoflare

I still couldn't figure out how to use Liz's Maragidyne without being punished, she leaves too much room before the flames set in.

Xenoflare

It's pretty funny how different playthrough times of these games can be lol. Persona 3 took me 65 hours, but Persona 4 somehow took me 90. The longest playthrough time I've seen for P3 was 140 hours and he was still underleveled for the final boss!

Persona 3 Portable took me 67 hours to beat, but P4G took me around 40 (True ending minus bonus dungeon).

I beat P3P on Super Easy and Normal for P4G.

Yeah I can see how P4G eased things by introducing a shitload of golden hands.

Wazzy

Banned
Okay I'm around 9+ hours in and I'm at the 36th floor on my first run to it and I'm fighting the boss who is easy. Playing on normal.

I really am starting to like this game. Was a little hard to start after 4 but now that I'm getting used to it I'm really enjoying the cast and story.
Depends, but the average seems to be about 65ish hours.

Around 70-90 hours. Took me 92 hours for my first play through.

like 70 hrs I think.

That's crazy--it took me over 90 hours. I'm on the slow end, but not that slow.

I'd say it's a little longer than Persona 4, so use your time there as a reference. They're pretty close.
Thanks everyone!

I'm gonna guess I'll take around 80ish. I beat P4 at 70.

It took me 135 hours lol but I'm a slowpoke anyways
Have you played P4? It's longer than that.
Thanks for the response!

I did play P4 and I finished it fairly fast except for the end where I just grinded for the last boss. I beat it on normal mode and did bonus dungeon.

Mdesilva

I beat both games in about 60 hours each. Maybe I'm just speedy!

EDIT: For the record, I played P4G on Easy the first time, so that's a big factor.

Rhapsody

Banned
I went way slow in P3. Didn't have a guide and just took my time. Clocked over 100 hours just because I liked exploring or grinding.

Top Bottom