• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT6| Where 6 Comes Before 5 (No PQ or P4U spoilers!)

Andrefpvs

Since we're giving out Twitter usernames, mine's @darkside989.

Also, very cool if Margaret ends up being in Ultimax! The number of remaining viable characters is dwindling at this point, I wonder if there will be anymore before (or after) the game releases...

Follow TrueSelf-senpai, he's a cool guy.

Also, follow me, I'm quite nice myself: @Andrefpvs

CorvoSol

Eternal Punishment indeed.

Fuck this Ginji boss fight. Can't even leave to build up, but dude having infinite revive and diarama magic for his possession inducing self destructing grapes is bullshit.

FluxWaveZ

Isn't there a dedicated random button on the controller? Wouldn't that mean Marie and Margaret would just go on the left and right random slots? That seems the most likely thing to me. Unless I'm wrong.

There is no way there are no random icons on the character select screen. I don't recall any ASW fighting game that doesn't have one, one needs to consider how the characters would be laid out in arcades (where there wouldn't be a dedicated random button) and one would need to consider arcade sticks which wouldn't have that button as a default.

Moonlight

Banned
Yuuuup, you wont regret it.

So to bring us back to Persona...

Who are y'all going to main in Ultimax?

I'm probably sticking with Chie, shadow or normal, but might try PerShona, Junpei or Marie.
Definitely gonna put some of my soul in Yosuke. I somewhat unsuccessfully tried to main him in P4A but I really like the changes they've made in Ultimax. He just looks... incredibly stylish. I suck at cross-ups, but I'll learn if I have to!

Definitely gonna try and learn Yukari, too. She was straight up my number one desire for any possible sequel to P4A, so I'm really happy to finally get to play as her in the game.

MY ARROWS DON'T MISS

Style

Banned
Could you source the image please? I would like to know where the drawing came from.
i2ywqcugI7bpl.png

Heh-heh.

I have no idea what's going on with Ultimax, but i love all this new content and speculation.

The only way we'll know for sure about the new characters is when Atlus reveal an updated character select screen.

Any ideas on the new game modes? We still have two blanks spaces. Im guessing one will be network mode featuring that new lobby system and other online features.
That leaves one more.

http://p-atlus.jp/p4u2/mode/

PK Gaming

Not sure that's too uncommon in fighting games, really, but it's cool. Famitsu's article on the P4AU event pointed out how surprised they were to see how many female fans the game had, which is similar to a report stating the large number of female fans P3M #1 had last year.

Really? I mean aside from Skullgirls and maybe BB, I can't think of a mainstream fighting game where the gender ratio is evenly split/in favor of females.

The ones that come to mind (Marvel, Streetfighter, Killer Instinct, Tekken Injustice) are definitely male-centric.

Rhapsody

Banned
I guess it depends on how you define mainstream. If it's an anime/air dash fighter, chances are it'll have an even ratio or more females.

FluxWaveZ

Really? I mean aside from Skullgirls and maybe BB, I can't think of a mainstream fighting game where the gender ratio is evenly split/in favor of females.

The ones that come to mind (Marvel, Streetfighter, Killer Instinct, Tekken Injustice) are definitely male-centric.

I'm thinking Skullgirls, Dead or Alive, Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax, Arcana Heart, BlazBlue, UNIEL and Super Smash Bros. If it's for the more mainstream fighters (aka Capcom, Namco Bandai and NRS), then yeah, it's probably pretty uncommon.

Smash Bros still has a long way to go before the gender ratio is split

Does it? I thought people were content with it, what with all the Ubisoft mocking, but guess not.

PK Gaming

I guess it depends on how you define mainstream. If it's an anime/air dash fighter, chances are it'll have an even ratio or more females.

The games I listed :p

But I guess you're right, anime fighters tend to have an even gender ratio.

EDIT:

I'm thinking Skullgirls, Dead or Alive, Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax, Arcana Heart, BlazBlue, UNIEL and Super Smash Bros. If it's for the more mainstream fighters (aka Capcom, Namco Bandai and NRS), then yeah, it's probably pretty uncommon.

Smash Bros still has a long way to go before the gender ratio is split

Zareka

Oh, we're giving out twitter handles? In that case, @zarthescrub here. I'll have to look through this and follow some of you. :)

kewlmyc

Hence why I said anime fighters.

BB
Arcana Heart
Melty Blood
UNIBL

Xenoflare

Yuuuup, you wont regret it.

So to bring us back to Persona...

Who are y'all going to main in Ultimax?

I'm probably sticking with Chie, shadow or normal, but might try PerShona, Junpei or Marie.

Elizabeth, I know that she has her own tier, and that tier is shit.

But honestly I had the most fun with her in the original P4A, She's actually the only character that I could use that can mount damage, (aside from Yu's sliding kick)

Her Awakening skill buffs are very interesting, the fact that she now has 6 persona cards is also a boon in my book.

Other than that I would play Yukari and Junpei.

CorvoSol

Does anyone else feel like Chief Todoroki has given the fuck up?

q1mRoKk.jpg

Look at this man's face, guys. This is the face of a man who has no fucks left to give. That is the grim determination of someone who doesn't want to do jack shit anymore.

Then again, if I had to hang out with this loser all day:

t06TpIO.png

That is exactly the face I would make.

Chief Todoroki is this classy guy whose job now is to spread high school gossip about weapons shops. Probably does not help.

Sophia

*sigh* I doubt there would have been this much hope for
that problem being rectified
if it hadn't been for
Elizabeth's story in Arena

P3/P4/P4A spoilers:
Remember what Margaret said in P4. Elizabeth's quest could take eons to finish. Even if he's playable, it won't be a permanent thing.

Isn't that... all of them? Well, unless we're talking Divekick.

Well what I meant was fighting games like Street Fighter for example that rely on "UP+DOWN+X+B for Fire attack than combo into DOWNRIGHT+A+Y+LT at the same time!". Or Mortal Kombat for example.

I excel mostly at Smash Bros where those kind of games don't REALLY have you hammer in those combos to win. It's a lot more free that way. That and Soul Caliber for some reason is good to me even though it kinda contradicts what I just said. XD

Than again I never actually played a Persona Arena game before so maybe I just need to shut up and play the game before I judge.

Sophia

Well what I meant was fighting games like Street Fighter for example that rely on "UP+DOWN+X+B for Fire attack than combo into DOWNRIGHT+A+Y+LT at the same time!". Or Mortal Kombat for example.

I excel mostly at Smash Bros where those kind of games don't REALLY have you hammer in those combos to win. It's a lot more free that way. That and Soul Caliber for some reason is good to me even though it kinda contradicts what I just said. XD

Than again I never actually played a Persona Arena game before so maybe I just need to shut up and play the game before I judge.

Uhh.... you haven't played fighting games recently have you? Nevermind the impossibility of hitting both Up and Down at the same time. :p

For the record, what you're describing is not combos, but execution. Of which the original Persona 4 Arena had pretty straight execution requirements. Most of them were Quarter Circles + a single button press. :\

FluxWaveZ

I excel mostly at Smash Bros where those kind of games don't REALLY have you hammer in those combos to win. It's a lot more free that way.

Oh, I don't know about that. Were you watching Melee at Evo this year? Smash might be one of the games where combos are the most important, though you're right that they're more free-form and situational in nature.

Edit: Oh, you were talking about execution, I guess.

I know. But when people play like dicks makes the whole experience rough.

Do you mean, like "spammers" or people who rely on auto-combos all the time? Not to imply you're looking to, but if one wants to improve at the game, negatively perceiving others' playstyles is probably the first mindset to get rid of.

Rnr1224

I've never played any EO, but Persona Q is quickly becoming something that i am excited about. The Battle themes and the Main theme are amazing. Can't wait for fall!

Acid08

Banned
Idk how into P4U I'll actually be but I'll be trying my best to learn Yukari.

Also guys plz teach me how to play BlazBlue

Acid08

Banned
Will do. I'm playing through the story in CSE right now but I think I'll pick up CP too.

And yeah I know enough about how fighting games work, just need more info on some of the particular systems BB uses.

Snakeyes

For what it's worth, I've played a shitload of competitive 64, a decent amount of Melee and would consider Smash as my main fighting game. I can tell you that Persona is one of the traditional fighters I enjoy the most, alongside Street Fighter.

Top Bottom