• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT6| Where 6 Comes Before 5 (No PQ or P4U spoilers!)

Yeh, I think it would have been better if Junpei's social link had been locked up until a certain point in the narrative.

That's actually a really good idea. Maybe something like with Aigis', where it opens up late in the game, once most of the plot points have been hit. I mean, it would make you choose between 2-3 social links at that point in the game, but I have a feeling they could have made that work.

Seems like a fun contest:

@AtlusUSA: Celebrate Halloween by dressing up as characters from ATLUS games and win prizes! Enter ATLUS-O-WEENIE today!
original.png
via the twitters

kewlmyc

Yeh, I think it would have been better if Junpei's social link had been locked up until a certain point in the narrative.

That's actually a really good idea. Maybe something like with Aigis', where it opens up late in the game, once most of the plot points have been hit. I mean, it would make you choose between 2-3 social links at that point in the game, but I have a feeling they could have made that work.

Yeah, but it would be super weird for the Magician arcana, the arcana that introduces you into the whole social link stuff in the original P3 and P4, was locked until near end game. I guess you could always give Junpei a different arcana from their Persona like they did with Aigis and Akihiko.

That was a very good scene.

Junpei is a compassionate and supportive dude, but he's also incredibly insecure. I could definitely see his jealously leading into that sexist outburst. And you know what? I'm down with that. I'm down with the developers making Junpei a little sexist in FeMCs. Because if it causes him to grow as a character, then it's absolutely worth it in the end. (and he does). I always appreciate it when characters have these dark, awful traits that make them more human.

Shoutouts for giving Mitsuru (who up until now has been fairly static) a chance to express herself, and condemn Junpei for his sexist attidude. In the end, Junpei's able to cast aside his jealousy and sexism, and he ultimately comes out as a stronger character, imo.

I'm not saying the scene itself is bad, cool just isn't a word I'd use to describe him, especially when playing as the female MC.

I'm not saying the scene itself is bad, cool just isn't a word I'd use to describe him, especially when playing as the female MC.

I just think the point is that someone who overcomes their terrible biases and insecurities can be really cool. Nobody's perfect, but the effort to become better is a cool trait to have. You don't have to agree obviously, but I didn't see PK's post as defending the scene, but rather the character.

Yeah, but it would be super weird for the Magician arcana, the arcana that introduces you into the whole social link stuff in the original P3 and P4, was locked until near end game. I guess you could always give Junpei a different arcana from their Persona like they did with Aigis and Akihiko.

Yeah, I kind of disliked in P3 how some of the arcanas have such low-level personas for maxing the social link. I guess it's OK considering that Magician generally starts early, but for example Scathatch of Priestess is somewhat low-leveled compared to some others, and in FES you need max courage before you can even start the link. Fortunately they kind of balanced the levels of the strongest personas of the different arcanas in P4, though there are still a few noticeable differences in level, like Strength's final persona and Judgement (though it's special and should be high leveled considering you generally need a
true/good ending
to get it.

Meia

Thankfully, persona levels really hardly mattered much, especially in the games you can raise a persona's stats. Surt, the ultimate Magician, was my main damage dealer the first time I played FES for example, even at like lv60.

Thankfully, persona levels really hardly mattered much, especially in the games you can raise a persona's stats. Surt, the ultimate Magician, was my main damage dealer the first time I played FES for example, even at like lv60.

I guess that's true, it's not too bad in P3 to keep stats up endgame because you can just raise your stats playing games/using cards and it's all good (especially since endgame you don't have much else to do at night), so that way they can keep up. The only real problem I guess is that by the level you get them I think you have access to null elements, but not really any repels, absorbs, or in general other high level passives you may want to put on them. I'm pretty sure I had Odin with close to max magic for thunder reign spam and Siegfried with max strength for vorpal blade spam, so their damage was high, though their other stats weren't so great. But because I fused Odin at mid 50s in September-October and didn't want to fuse and grind a new one for thunder reign, it only had resist/null wind since that was the only way I had to cover his weakness at the time, and I didn't want to fuse something else after all the games/cards spent on him (and if it was like P4 I wouldn't be able to transfer it). But Norn, who's ~10 levels higher learns absorb elec and Skadi ~20 levels higher learns absorb fire (It could be coincidence though, in terms of the personas learning better passives and being higher level. Odin does learn spell master after all, so maybe it's a trade off?). I'm not sure if it's a problem in Golden, but in vanilla the stats are harder to keep up for the lower level personas without the games/stat cards imo, especially for those that learn the severe magic spells since they're not necessarily the final personas of their respective arcanas (Surt wasn't, even though I think he's better than Mada and should have been made ultimate magician. Thor wasn't, but to be honest I didn't like him due to his somewhat higher emphasis on strength that he can't take advantage of with thunder reign). I can imagine it would be somewhat worse if the levels were scaled poorly in P4 when they are compared to Odin and Loki since leveling up takes a while after a few level ups, but I don't recall any ways to raise Persona stats. Even then I don't recall using Loki much, though it could just be his stat spread.

Though of course, earlier access to severe elements skills is always a good thing for the boss around that part of the game. In P3 at least you can transfer the skills to higher level personas if you wish so you could always have a persona with the severe element spell at your level with relatively high offense and up to date passives. After all, in P4, (where you can't transfer the skills, Ragnarok and Thunder Reign are stuck on lower level personas compared to Niflheim and Panta Rhei, and also Thunder Reign is stuck on a persona that does not excel in magic while at least Surt does) by endgame most forms of damage are inferior to Hassou Tobi anyways, and in P3FES they were all inferior to Victory Cry/Spell Master Armageddon.

But then it doesn't even matter much since the game doesn't require you to have the absolute best skills with max stats anyways. So I'm not sure where I was going with this.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
What's up?!

I have a question: What do you think the P5 batter UI will look like? a smart phone?
Since P4 looks like a old school TV dial and P3 looks like a clock.

FluxWaveZ

I'd wait until we have a credible source for the P4AU DLC situation before the outrage.

Wonder if that PlayStation event in December would be a good place for a P5 PS4 in NA announcement.

I'd wait until we have a credible source for the P4AU DLC situation before the outrage.

Wonder if that PlayStation event in December would be a good place for a P5 PS4 in NA announcement.

Huh, I wonder. While it would just be the TGS trailer with a few minor edits, it'd still be nice to see.

As for the upcoming PSC, if the hosts are going to discuss any upcoming projects, I bet it'd be the third P3 movie, since there was a very minor update earlier today. Reddit link.
If nothing else, it'd be nice to get a blu-ray release date for the second movie.

FluxWaveZ

Huh, I wonder. While it would just be the TGS trailer with a few minor edits, it'd still be nice to see.

As for the upcoming PSC, if the hosts are going to discuss any upcoming projects, I bet it'd be the third P3 movie, since there was a very minor update earlier today. Reddit link.
If nothing else, it'd be nice to get a blu-ray release date for the second movie.

Yeah, it'd probably basically be what Atlus USA did with the original P5 trailer at the beginning of this year but, indeed, it'd be a cool thing to see promoted. Persona 5 is probably a remarkable enough 2015, Sony exclusive title to be present at an event like that.

And I also think some P3M news during next week's PSC is likely for the reasons you stated. I thought P3M #3 was going to be a 2014 release back when it was announced, so there'd be two months left for its theatrical release if that were the case.

It's a shame that the arena writers make Yukiko into such a joke character. Replaying P4G she participates in the Junes roundtable deductions as much as Yosuke does.

Yukiko was always a joke.

That's true as well.

I will say this, though: screw laughing fits.

You have failed me for the LAST TIME, Flux!

EDIT: Also glad to agree with you, DryEye.

EDIT2:
I will say this though: Ultimax was far kinder to Yukiko and Kanji than Arena was. I'm thinking
(read: hoping)
that the writers realized there's more to those two than lunch boxes and stupidity.

I'll give Ultimax that at the very least.

I will say this though: Ultimax was far kinder to Yukiko and Kanji than Arena was. I'm thinking
(read: hoping)
that the writers realized there's more to those two than lunch boxes and stupidity.

idk if this has been posted here because y'all post So Freaking Much, but:

(Source - please be advised that i have not browsed this particular blog so it may contain adult situations and material not suitable for work environments)

Top Bottom