• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT6| Where 6 Comes Before 5 (No PQ or P4U spoilers!)

Awesome, glad you liked it :D

Were you in the first dungeon? How far did you get?

Somehow the games I jumped in on were both at the Wonderland labyrinth and I managed to clear floor 1 and do most of floor 2.

But like I said, they were rotating people out every now and then to let others play, there wasnt a time that I walked past when there werent people playing and other queued up waiting.

See, Europe does love you!

Acid08

Banned
Holy Fuck MCM Expo was a lot of fun!

Bought soooooo much stuff it was hard to get it all home!

But most importantly, I got about an hour's worth of hands on with Persona Q! Dont worry there are no story spoilers here.

This game is pretty fucking fun! The gameplay is standard Etrian Odyssey style, choose all of your attacks first, hit go and watch the turn play out. I found that turn order is fairly hard to work out, it probably goes on whoever has the highest agility stat and works down from there, enemies included. Unfortunately, this means that the 'one more' system doesnt apply here, but if you manage to hit an enemy's weakness and knock them down, then their turn is wasted picking themselves back up, so weaknesses still have an important role to play.

Also, when you knock an enemy down, you get a 'boost', and when that character's boost meter is full, that is when you are able to perform a follow-up attack. All out attacks are still in the game and work as normal, knock down every enemy then charge.
Also, while your character is in 'boost' all of your skills cost 0SP, so go nuts!

Now onto Personas, every character, except your MC of choice, has their persona from the original game and they level up as normal and gain skills and boost stats just as you would expect. But, uniquely, you can assign everyone, even the support character, a sub-persona. This allows the characters to have a much wider range of skills available to them. You want to be able to use Agi skills with Chie? Go for it! Akihiko being able to use Bufu? Sure, why not! This is especially useful since Personas now only have 6 skill slots as opposed to the usual 8.

Character interactions in Q seem pretty heavy, as I was wandering the labyrinth, there were multiple occasions of dialogue being shown, even at non-critical areas. I ran into a dead end and got a mini-scene between some of the characters. Oh, and for those wondering, you dont have to have the characters in your active party to be able to see these scenes. There is plenty of stuff to see and chances are, you'll probably not see it all unless you are a completionist by the looks of it.

One of the most fun parts of EO games for me is, strangely, the map drawing. And this is here in Q and as elaborate as ever, and the maps here are HUGE! I spent 30 minutes in one level after taking over someone else's game, who had already filled in a lot of the map, and I barely added anything to it! These levels are going to take a while to fully map out if you want to explore everywhere. Oh, and for those of you who couldn't care less about it, there is a feature that fills everything in automatically as you go if you dont want to bother with it.

Now onto the characters! I managed to get hands on with both sides so I was lucky there. The character interaction is really good here! The characters are a lot closer to their original P3/P4 versions of themselves, as opposed to the caricatures that some of them became in Arena/Ultimax. The dialogue between them all is great, although I wouldnt have expected anything less from the localisation crew. The only downside I had was that it was VERY NOISY, so I was unable to hear the voices clearly, although I did note that not all of the dialogue lines are voiced. A lot of them simply have a reactionary sound followed by text (a la Danganronpa).

One of the things I've seen a few people mention is about how the game looks. Let me tell you this game looks AMAZING, the visuals are gorgeous, whether or not you like the chibi character designs is your personal opinion, but I think they look great. The trailers really dont do the game justice, this game is not supposed to be viewed via youtube going full screen on a monitor, it's supposed to be viewed on a 3ds, and boy does it look good on a 3ds. The colours are vibrant, the animations are smooth, the 3d effect isnt too distracting, overall, it is a great looking game.

Well, thats all I can think of saying for now. If anyone has any questions, then ask away and I'll try my best to answer.
Rad, thanks for this! So excited to finally get my hands on a new Persona RPG.

atlusprime

Atlus PR
Somehow the games I jumped in on were both at the Wonderland labyrinth and I managed to clear floor 1 and do most of floor 2.

But like I said, they were rotating people out every now and then to let others play, there wasnt a time that I walked past when there werent people playing and other queued up waiting.

See, Europe does love you!

Not bad, not bad! Shame though, I think it's the start of the 3rd floor that you can start equipping sub-Personas! But maybe better that it wasn't included in the demo...so many hours spent fusing. SO MANY HOURS.

Not bad, not bad! Shame though, I think it's the start of the 3rd floor that you can start equipping sub-Personas! But maybe better that it wasn't included in the demo...so many hours spent fusing. SO MANY HOURS.

Its may be earlier than that, like I said, I was on floor 2 and was using sub-personas. Granted I didnt fuse them myself, I just equipped them and fought with them.

Maybe I got the floor number wrong, I dont know. I just jumped into someone's already started game, once on the P3 side and once on P4.

Sub-personas seem like they are going to be SUPER USEFUL at points. Means that you can cover a LOT of ground with attacks.

Holy Fuck MCM Expo was a lot of fun!

Bought soooooo much stuff it was hard to get it all home!

But most importantly, I got about an hour's worth of hands on with Persona Q! Dont worry there are no story spoilers here.

Just wondering about a few things, though I'm not sure if you had enough experience or got far enough to know.

One thing I can't remember, can you put skill cards on main personas? Because if so, then the other questions below become somewhat more important than if you couldn't.

Something else, but is a sub-persona 'equipped'? Is it liked having the combined powers of both main and sub? For example P4 Hero, if he has pixie equipped as a sub-persona, he can use both pixie's and Izanagi's skills during battle? Or do you have to de-equip the sub-persona or something like that to use Izanagi's attacks?

And how exactly does the system work in terms of passives? As in, if you have elec boost on P4 Hero's Izanagi, does it apply to the elec attacks of say an equipped pixie? And vice-versa, if you equip a Thor with elec amp are Izanagi's attacks boosted?

Thanks, and sorry for all the questions.

Just wondering about a few things, though I'm not sure if you had enough experience or got far enough to know.

One thing I can't remember, can you put skill cards on main personas? Because if so, then the other questions below become somewhat more important than if you couldn't.

Something else, but is a sub-persona 'equipped'? Is it liked having the combined powers of both main and sub? For example P4 Hero, if he has pixie equipped as a sub-persona, he can use both pixie's and Izanagi's skills during battle? Or do you have to de-equip the sub-persona or something like that to use Izanagi's attacks?

And how exactly does the system work in terms of passives? As in, if you have elec boost on P4 Hero's Izanagi, does it apply to the elec attacks of say an equipped pixie? And vice-versa, if you equip a Thor with elec amp are Izanagi's attacks boosted?

Thanks, and sorry for all the questions.

OK, as for question one, I couldnt tell you, I didnt get far enough into it to actually start using skillcards.

Question number 2, If you equip a sub-persona, you have both the skills of that and your main persona at the same time. Like I said, this leads for some really useful builds as you could essentially build up a party that covers all ground! And yes, the sub-personas are equipped/unequipped/swapped just like weapons. The main and sub personas both get experience during battles so you level them up at the same time, however just like in P3/P4 you will be getting rid of them once they are past their usefulness, so fusion is now a bigger part of the game than before as now you are fusing personae for EVERYONE to use.

As for the 3nd question, there were no passive skills in the game that I saw, and I dont think there are any in the game, judging from research. No element boost, no auto-buff/debuff, nothing. What they do give you however, is physical attacks with elemental properties. For example, Kanji had a Strike attack with Electric, meaning that if the enemy was weak to either, it would do better damage and get his boost meter up.

Hope this helped.

MSMrRound

Got to fiddle with trailers in the shop for the first time.

B0_cw-4CUAAxIMi.jpg:large

Trying hard not to let my bias towards Persona/Atlus titles show.

wmlk

Not to port-beg since I'll get it on PS3, but I wonder how viable P5 is for PC. Seems like Sega is pushing for a PC initiative lately.

LX_Theo

Banned
Not to port-beg since I'll get it on PS3, but I wonder how viable P5 is for PC. Seems like Sega is pushing for a PC initiative lately.

Low from current evidence.

They haven't even shown signs of putting classic Atlus games on PC, let alone the new ones. I wouldn't expect P5 to find its way to PC without the market for Persona and other Atlus games to be tested on it first.

Exclusivity on a company's platform does offer benefits including increased sales numbers and lower development costs. They'd need a better idea if the audience is worth it before they invest in one of their new games for that.

wmlk

They haven't even shown signs of putting classic Atlus games on PC, let alone the new ones. I wouldn't expect P5 to find its way to PC without the market for Persona and other Atlus games to be tested on it first.

Exclusivity on a company's platform does offer benefits including increased sales numbers and lower development costs. They'd need a better idea if the audience is worth it before they invest in one of their new games for that.

Yeah, I totally agree about that. More platforms != more sales. For the same reason you stated, I don't think that FFXV will sell more just because it's on the XBOX One now, in fact I think the collective mindshare is much less than it would be if it was PS4 exclusive.

Still, with PC and PS4 having related architecture, I wouldn't be surprised if I saw Atlus put out P5 on PC two years after its initial release. Japanese developers are slowly figuring out that there's an audience on PC.

LX_Theo

Banned
Yeah, I totally agree about that. More platforms != more sales. For the same reason you stated, I don't think that FFXV will sell more just because it's on the XBOX One now, in fact I think the collective mindshare is much less than it would be if it was PS4 exclusive.

Still, with PC and PS4 having related architecture, I wouldn't be surprised if I saw Atlus put out P5 on PC two years after its initial release. Japanese developers are slowly figuring out that there's an audience on PC.

I could see a few years down the line, yeah. Get the the exclusivity sales bump while also getting the PC sales. At the same time, I wouldn't expect anything without some tests of that market with classic games being thrown on there.

Xenoflare

Am I the only person who thinks FFXV is just another Duke Nukem Forever?

I KID I KID, but I don't have a good feeling about this game it's almost a decade since this game is announced and it went through numerous development changes, those flashy trailers looks like a glorified Crisis Core/KH clone at best.

wmlk

I could see a few years down the line, yeah. Get the the exclusivity sales bump while also getting the PC sales. At the same time, I wouldn't expect anything without some tests of that market with classic games being thrown on there.

Right. The main thing that would really open everyone's eyes is FFXV on Steam. It's likely at this point.

Sophia

This isn't really evidence. Atlus doesn't exactly have a lot of PS3/360 generation games (not counting their handheld output) and porting over PS2 games might actually be pretty difficult.

That said, I don't expect Persona 5 on PC. I guess it could happen, but not much evidence to suggest it. Especially when we haven't even seen any gameplay videos of it.

LX_Theo

Banned
This isn't really evidence. Atlus doesn't exactly have a lot of PS3/360 generation games (not counting their handheld output) and porting over PS2 games might actually be pretty difficult.

That said, I don't expect Persona 5 on PC. I guess it could happen, but not much evidence to suggest it. Especially when we haven't even seen any gameplay videos of it.

I consider it evidence because it actually demonstrates the company is interested in seeing how their games do there. I wouldn't really consider the decision making process of Sega as in line with Atlus despite the ownership situation, so I don't consider Sega's actions indicative of what Atlus will do. So I'd want to see something from Atlus themselves before I start considering that a real possibility.

Sophia

I consider it evidence because it actually demonstrates the company is interested in seeing how their games do there. I wouldn't really consider the decision making process of Sega as in line with Atlus despite the ownership situation, so I don't consider Sega's actions indicative of what Atlus will do. So I'd want to see something from Atlus themselves before I start considering that a real possibility.

I think you missed my point entirely. It has nothing to do with Sega. PS2 to PC ports are not the cheapest or easiest investment in the world. Especially if they weren't planned for porting over to begin with. If a company such as Atlus was going to test the waters, it'd be with something much easier to port over.

I actually think we'd be more likely to see Catherine on PC before anything else. Not only is it on multiple systems, but it runs on an engine (Gamebryo) known to be working on the PC. We're not likely to see many of their PS2 offerings ported over to PC, at least not at first.

LX_Theo

Banned
I think you missed my point entirely. It has nothing to do with Sega. PS2 to PC ports are not the cheapest or easiest investment in the world. Especially if they weren't planned for porting over to begin with. If a company such as Atlus was going to test the waters, it'd be with something much easier to port over.

I actually think we'd be more likely to see Catherine on PC before anything else. Not only is it on multiple systems, but it runs on an engine (Gamebryo) known to be working on the PC. We're not likely to see many of their PS2 offerings ported over to PC, at least not at first.
Well I wasn't speculating on what they might port over for that. Only that it would be something they'd expect their fan base to buy. So I wasn't really speaking on that to begin with.

Probably something to do with electricity and lint.

The
creepy sex-doll of Yu she has in her basement.

That or tofu.

OK thanks. Trying to type into google stuff about taking belly buttons just got a bunch of results about removing rings.

Actually had no idea about the night thing, people were making innuendo jokes. I can't remember what was going on, tried looking up the date but I don't think it has anything to do with that.

And the winner for Ultimax is..........................

spoilers for all 3 episodes

Labrys and Adachi.
INCREDIBLE character development for both of these two.
Labrys has really grown on me, and Episode Adachi, along with that Golden episode has made me seen in him a completely different light.

Great stuff

Nimby

Banned

I wonder if he got banned for this?

Am I the only person who thinks FFXV is just another Duke Nukem Forever?

I KID I KID, but I don't have a good feeling about this game it's almost a decade since this game is announced and it went through numerous development changes, those flashy trailers looks like a glorified Crisis Core/KH clone at best.

I truly believe Final Fantasy XV will have problems living up to everyone's expectations, hopefully they get that damn game out in 2015.

Those impressions of PQ are pretty wonderful reanimation, so flippin' excited to play this game.

Honestly, I cant wait to get the full game now. Before, I was looking forward to it, now I'm super hyped.

Part of me hopes that there will be a demo of the game, just so that people can get a feel for it before they buy it, because like I said, playing the version at MCM got me exponentially more excited for it.

And the winner for Ultimax is..........................

spoilers for all 3 episodes

Labrys and Adachi.
INCREDIBLE character development for both of these two.
Labrys has really grown on me, and Episode Adachi, along with that Golden episode has made me seen in him a completely different light.

Great stuff

Yeah, I personally liked his inner monologues quite a bit. Especially since they contrast from the friendship stuff. But he's still kind of a good guy while keeping his ideals about how bonds aren't so great, and Dojima says he's a model prisoner in the epilogue.

https://31.media.tumblr.com/0554ce8138fd941e068c5aade363598e/tumblr_inline_mjxwblP8j71qz4rgp.jpg

https://41.media.tumblr.com/2a60971173bc8237fa992a892931c299/tumblr_n81sc93ThV1r3hrmvo1_1280.png

https://41.media.tumblr.com/6928a687419c3aae4cbba2154c1753be/tumblr_n81sc93ThV1r3hrmvo2_r3_1280.jpg

FluxWaveZ

It reads likes she wants to engage in an orgy with Margaret and her Personas...Studsonas.

Yikes, that's definitely not what I got from hearing it in Sound Test. She's just talking about everyone who's on Margaret's side (with a bonus pun, because Liz likes those). You have to hear the way she says "Yes." It's like she's trying to make Margaret appreciate her "joke."

Wow. clever catch.

I didn't catch that, I'm just good at wasting time on tumblr and seeing random things people post (someone else caught and that with the caption character development lol). Basically everything I put is from tumblr, I think maybe something was from deviantart.

Btw I know this is not related at all, but is Adachi's cabbage something introduced in Golden? Don't remember it at all in original.

lol at persona orgy.

I didn't catch that, I'm just good at wasting time on tumblr and seeing random things people post (someone else caught and that with the caption character development lol). Basically everything I put is from tumblr, I think maybe something was from deviantart.

Btw I know this is not related at all, but is Adachi's cabbage something introduced in Golden? Don't remember it at all in original.

lol at persona orgy.

He mentions it in passing that it's all he can afford to buy because it's cheap. Funnily enough, it gets kind of replaced with lotus root in Golden.
Another call-back used in his Ultimax episode.

atlusprime

Atlus PR
Here's the official line from Sega Europe I received about P4AU DLC:

• Pre-order P4AU across select European retailers and receive Tarot Card Set 1 free
  • Marie & Adachi will both be available in Europe as DLC at a cost from release date (21.11.2014)
  • The cost of each will be €4.49

PK Gaming

That was what I got from it too... but that can't actually be the meaning, right?

Oh no, not at all. It's just what it seems like at first glance. I bet the actual intention is way more innocuous.

Yikes, that's definitely not what I got from hearing it in Sound Test. She's just talking about everyone who's on Margaret's side (with a bonus pun, because Liz likes those). You have to hear the way she says "Yes." It's like she's trying to make Margaret appreciate her "joke."

Voilà, ça se le reponse.

Here's the official line from Sega Europe I received about P4AU DLC:

• Pre-order P4AU across select European retailers and receive Tarot Card Set 1 free
  • Marie & Adachi will both be available in Europe as DLC at a cost from release date (21.11.2014)
  • The cost of each will be €4.49

Thanks for looking into that! This makes way more sense than the European release just not getting any DLC characters. Just a question though, Sega Europe didn't mention Margaret at all?

atlusprime

Atlus PR
Thanks for looking into that! This makes way more sense than the European release just not getting any DLC characters. Just a question though, Sega Europe didn't mention Margaret at all?

Not specifically. I'm guessing the confusion came over the pre-order bonuses and the original article was trying to say that the two DLC characters wouldn't be free for pre-orders, etc.

I think it's safe to assume Large Marge will indeed be in charge shortly after release. And yes, I am fully aware that when you make an assumption, you make an ass out of you and umption.

Not specifically. I'm guessing the confusion came over the pre-order bonuses and the original article was trying to say that the two DLC characters wouldn't be free for pre-orders, etc.

I think it's safe to assume Large Marge will indeed be in charge shortly after release. And yes, I am fully aware that when you make an assumption, you make an ass out of you and umption.

That makes sense! If Sega Europe was addressing the confusion over preorders and launch DLC, then of course they'd leave out Margaret. Thanks again!

MSMrRound

What is this store

I need to go here. Now.

This can't be in America since there are actually advertising the existence of games for the Vita.

Yup. Ultra's right. Known as Zepy Games over here in Singapore.

B1DLDXYCIAAARpp.jpg:large

Teddie (and my Valkyria Chronicles 3 Imca nendoroid) are the watchful guardians of the store.

Teddie's been stud-scoring as well. Quite a few (guy) customers asked to take pictures with him (since the R3 copies of Ultimax did not come with the Tarot Card/Teddie Bop Bag) initial bonuses. Weird thing is that it came with the X360 versions of Ultimax in our store. Hmm...

Wouldn't mind if life-size cut-outs are somehow sent our way to watch over/promote the series too.

*HINT HINT NUDGE NUDGE NOSE WIGGLING AT JOHN*

Top Bottom