• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT6| Where 6 Comes Before 5 (No PQ or P4U spoilers!)

Kazzy

Stop being a Robophobe.

In fairness, as otherworldly as the setting in Persona games generally are, there comes a point where you have to suspend your disbelief (at least a little more), at the point where Aigis appears P3. There's definitely a narrative dissonance there, as it establishes a fairly consistent tone... only to then add robots into the equation.

Sophia

Persona's idea of robots is pretty otherworldly, honestly. Nevermind that many of the elements in question were established in Persona 2, so they've always been there. :\

Kazzy

Persona's idea of robots is pretty otherworldly, honestly. Nevermind that many of the elements in question were established in Persona 2, so they've always been there. :\

But it adds another layer onto the already strange cake. I know people who would just prefer to segregate those aspects of the game, entirely.

Caladrius

Who's talking about Robutts in here?

Then there's the issue of whether or not they're even actual AI, considering they have to be imbued with Nyx feathers to gain a personality in the first place.

Sophia

But it adds another layer onto the already strange cake. I know people who would just prefer to segregate those aspects of the game, entirely.

Luckily, each game in the main series has it's own installment and themes, so people don't have to worry there. :p

Then there's the issue of whether or not they're even actual AI, considering they have to be imbued with Nyx feathers to gain a personality in the first place.

They're not. While we might call them robots, Aigis and her sisters are more akin to artificial humans, or homunculus.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
In fairness, as otherworldly as the setting in Persona games generally are, there comes a point where you have to suspend your disbelief (at least a little more), at the point where Aigis appears P3. There's definitely a narrative dissonance there, as it establishes a fairly consistent tone... only to then add robots into the equation.

I always thought it was because those with "the potential" get tired fast during the Dark Hour so they needed to create artificial humans to help fight the shadow menace. :p

I dunno, it's a video game, my suspension of disbelief is already out the window, so I expect anything to happen.

Kazzy

Luckily, each game in the main series has it's own installment and themes, so people don't have to worry there. :p ]

Which exacerbates the very notion of people rejecting certain elements (no matter how embedded they may have been in earlier instalments), because as we know, many simply jumped in at later games, meaning anything previously established, is for nought.

It's not even something I personally experienced, though I can completely understand why some simply cannot abide the presence of the 'robots'.

FluxWaveZ

I dunno, it's a video game, my suspension of disbelief is already out the window, so I expect anything to happen.

If the creators of Persona had this mindset, the series wouldn't have memorable stories or characters like it does, and would instead be an amalgamation of nonsense akin to Saints Row 4. "It's a video game" makes as much sense as saying "it's a book", "it's a TV show" or "it's a movie."

Sophia

For the record, I just want to state that I wanted to take a silly jab at Dantis.

It's okay. Hating on robots is a serious crime! .... or it would be if I had my way. :|

If the creators of Persona had this mindset, the series wouldn't have memorable stories or characters like it does, and would instead be an amalgamation of nonsense akin to Saints Row 4. "It's a video game" makes as much sense as saying "it's a book", "it's a TV show" or "it's a movie."

Nevermind the fact that something so logically and clearly defined within the games themselves should not cause one's suspension of disbelief to go out the window in the first place. Unless you didn't have a suspension to begin with. >_>

At any rate, they didn't start with robots, as noted in a few different places. The earliest models were things like tanks and stuff. Only after they discovered the potential of Persona (and the difficulty of bringing a Persona out in an individual) did they consider robots. Arena, of course, tells us the rest of the tragedy...

They're not. While we might call them robots, Aigis and her sisters are more akin to artificial humans, or homunculus.

Robots, artificial humans, homunculi, battle droids, or warmechs are at least easier to say than ' Anti Shadow Suppression Weapon".
But no way I'm using 'toaster', I'm no racist.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
It's okay. Hating on robots is a serious crime! .... or it would be if I had my way. :|

Mine too.

Nevermind the fact that something so logically and clearly defined within the games themselves should not cause one's suspension of disbelief to go out the window in the first place. Unless you didn't have a suspension to begin with. >_>

It's possible that I don't. When I watch TV/Movie/Video Game based on anything that could not possibly happen in reality, I just expect outer-worldly things to happen.

I think the "real world" of Persona works better when it's depicted as convincingly as possible and I'd be glad never to see ridiculously human robots in the series again.

EDIT: And I would argue against the idea that the ridiculously human robots are logically and clearly defined within Persona 3 by the time Aigis is introduced is incorrect. She's kind of just thrown at you.

Kazzy

EDIT: And I would argue against the idea that the ridiculously human robots are logically and clearly defined within Persona 3 by the time Aigis is introduced is incorrect. She's kind of just thrown at you.

The point I was trying to make, was that even with the canonical gymnastics going on, they are a conspicuous element.

PK Gaming

I can accept Aigis because of what she added to Persona 3. It's completely absurd, and no amount of writing can get around the fact that she's an incredibly advanced robot that can somehow avoid the uncanny valley effect at school. But even so, she's basically a net positive in the long run. Metis too, for as contrived as she was, ended up being a pretty important towards my enjoyment of The Answer's narrative.

Labrys (as much as I like her) not so much. It's pretty clear that they're cashing in on that robo-waifu popularity craze when they made her. I still like her, but I can sympathize with the people who don't.

I can accept Aigis because of what she added to Persona 3. It's completely absurd, and no amount of writing can get around the fact that she's an incredibly advanced robot that can somehow avoid the uncanny valley at school. But even so, she's basically a net positive in the long run. Metis too, for as contrived as she was, ended up being a pretty important towards my enjoyment of The Answer's narrative.

Labrys (as much as I like her) not so much. It's pretty clear that they're cashing in on that robo-waifu popularity when they made her. I still like her, but I can sympathize with the people who don't.

Funny. Unlike with Aigis, I never got the impression Labrys was made to appeal to some fetish.

Oh well.

Nimby

Banned
I'd be down for parties composed exclusively of humans and thought-forms in the future, honestly. Everything else stretches my suspension of disbelief in this series.

I want Persona 5 to be set in a believable 21st-century society, with the exception of an alternate dimension with shadows. P4 did it the way I want it.

Nimby

Banned
Sorry to disrupt toaster debate but I was hyped and very quickly scribbled a thing: http://84xl.tumblr.com/image/102754466044

This image isn't relevant anymore in my timezone, but at least I learned that I don't know how to draw either of these characters and that I hate tumblr.

With PQ coming up, I guess it should be noted I cancelled my premium edition. I kinda wish I was getting more than a 4-song soundtrack, and an artbook which may or may not consist of artwork already spread across the internet. The case is still appealing, but yeah, the price ultimately isn't.

EDIT: Gah! Fuck it, the holidays are coming, I'll have more money then.

So, Quick question:

Does Never More pop up in the music king thing in P4G? I don't know if the tihng just unlocks stuff as you pass certain parts of the story, or if there's other wast to get music (Such as getting the Good end, since I assume the Reincarnation tracks are out)

Caladrius

Persona needs a flamboyant demonic robot fairy companion who loves the protagonist

I'm saying put me in the game, Atlus.

Funny. Unlike with Aigis, I never got the impression Labrys was made to appeal to some fetish.

Oh well.

I'm of the same opinion. Labrys isn't romantically attached to any character so she doesn't strike me as particularly odd, while Aigis was making me cringe half the time. I get why they made Aigis that way, but I don't like the very concept of her character arc because it basically makes it impossible to completely separate her personality from the target of her affection. I think that kind of thing is fine in straight-up romantic stories, where the love story is the plot, or when everybody and their grandma is getting jiggy with it, but I feel like in a team-driven story like Persona it doesn't have a place if only the protagonist and his love interest are in on it.

I will say that I rather liked the Answer as far as seeing how the consequences of that kind of relationship would play out.

Caladrius

Do people care a whole lot about costumes being in P5?

I want it quite a bit, but it's not absolutely essential for me.

Unless it's like P4 where you wear 2 outfits the entire game.

... Guilty Spark? Is that you?

I've always fashioned myself as 2401 Penitent Tangent, with all the suicidal negligence that implies.

And Spark doesn't have a boner for the Chief, which is baffling considering da booty

Acid08

Banned
With PQ coming up, I guess it should be noted I cancelled my premium edition. I kinda wish I was getting more than a 4-song soundtrack, and an artbook which may or may not consist of artwork already spread across the internet. The case is still appealing, but yeah, the price ultimately isn't.

EDIT: Gah! Fuck it, the holidays are coming, I'll have more money then.

I was debating cancelling mine in favor of the regular edition. It's not the most spectacular LE for the price but hey that case looks dope so whatever.

Dantis

These are the kind of things I hate.

I don't need to know these things. Just say "Yep, this is a robot". There's no reason to add a nonsensical science to it to try and justify it as an afterthought.

I was debating cancelling mine in favor of the regular edition. It's not the most spectacular LE for the price but hey that case looks dope so whatever.

Yep. I cancelled mine. £40 more for what you get isn't worth it in my opinion, and that extra £40 can go on something like Dragon Age.

The 20% discount with GCU membership at Best Buy makes the Wild Cards Edition of Persona Q much more palatable. I mean, I already bit at full price because dat case, but getting it for only ~$14 more than the normal edition is sweeeeet.

Sophia

Oh well.

This is kind of funny, when you read Soejima's comments in the various artbooks about Aigis and you realize that he wasn't even going for that. Rather, his goal was something more like classic anime robots, such as Astro Boy. :p

Also, while I'm talking about robots and Astro Boy, you should all go read Naoki Urasawa's Pluto. Seriously.

Top Bottom