• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT6| Where 6 Comes Before 5 (No PQ or P4U spoilers!)

RedGraveXIII

Neo Member
I don't know how can this game be stuck in development hell, it's a port.

I think it might have something to do with the fact that the game was announced during the Index fiasco last year so this game might got thrown away during the process.

They've lost all of the momentum from the DS 2 anime so I've no idea what'll happen to it :(

Rocksxp

Neo Member
I don't know about that, if we're theorizing with the character select screen layout...

Currently, we know who's under Yu. But if that character were to change locations and if we don't re-arrange any of the characters on the screen at all, they'd just stretch the width for the four TV screens on the outer edges (which is how Rise and Ken were added), getting something like: Margaret and [Redacted] at the top left and top right, with Marie and Makoto being added to the bottom row, resulting in 3 random icons for the start, middle, and end of the character select screen.

If it's only Marie and Margaret, the width will be extended for two slots, which would work out, but the symmetry would still be messed with a bit because there would no longer be an equal number of characters going away and from the middle column where Yu is.

So what you’re saying is this is how the select screen would look like?

FIRST ROW
RANDOM-Margaret-SO-Naoto-Teddie-Yukiko-Narukami-Yosuke-Chie-Kanji-MINAZUKI-[Redacted]-RANDOM

SECOND ROW
Marie-Ken-Yukari-Labrys-Mitsuru-Aigis-RANDOM-Elizabeth-Akihiko-S.Lab-Junpei-Rise-Makoto

I still don’t know if they would do the hidden character thing but you make it seem more likely than before.

Nap1400

Too much of this P4A discussion has made me wish they made the game just a dream fighting game rather than an actual canon game and turn this into a mess.

Better yet, just make a SMT fighter. Let it please everybody.

Too much of this P4A discussion has made me wish they made the game just a dream fighting game rather than an actual canon game and turn this into a mess.

If we could get P1 and P2 characters that would be the greatest idea. Just like Dissidia as someone said here before.

Rocksxp

Neo Member

Be a man and wait for SMTXFE.

Marche90

BTW still no news for Devil Survivor 2 3DS. :'(

I'm going to be honest with you. I believe that either they are re-tooling the game (as in, remaking some parts of the original instead of a simple port with voice acting) or it's been quietly canceled.

Or, most likely, it's been delayed until Atlus is done with all the Persona games they announced last year.

EDIT: Also it could be worse. It could be the game that rocksxp said

:(

Dantis

A lot of people have said things along these lines. I'm not entirely sure I understand why they insist on every game adhering to some increasingly bloated canon.

Also, I think Break Record has been canned.

Meia

There's no reason now that the P4A story is over that they can't do this now. Though I guess anything with the Persona name they try to take care that it all "fits" into canon.

Not sure what exactly is a "mess" atm though. Only odd thing to me about this whole thing is that these 2 games are supposed to take place during the same Golden Week.

Be a man and wait for SMTXFE.

The thing is, my interest in that game hinges on whether or not the SMT characters are post-game (hopefully
neutral
) or not.

Not sure what exactly is a "mess" atm though. Only odd thing to me about this whole thing is that these 2 games are supposed to take place during the same Golden Week.

Because otherwise, they'd have to
use the Golden Epilogue designs
, and that would be hard.

FluxWaveZ

So what you’re saying is this is how the select screen would look like?

FIRST ROW
RANDOM-Margaret-SO-Naoto-Teddie-Yukiko-Narukami-Yosuke-Chie-Kanji-MINAZUKI-[Redacted]-RANDOM

SECOND ROW
Marie-Ken-Yukari-Labrys-Mitsuru-Aigis-RANDOM-Elizabeth-Akihiko-S.Lab-Junpei-Rise-Makoto

I still don’t know if they would do the hidden character thing but you make it seem more likely than before.

Yep, that's exactly what I mean. There are three things I mainly think of in relation to that possibility:

1. 3 random icons. It's been three random icons until now—so it's not as though it would be unprecedented—and if the width of the screen is going to be expanded upon, it might be necessary—from a practicality standpoint—to keep 3 random icons so that players don't need to constantly move to the far left or far right, if they're stuck in the middle, to choose random.

2. The main P4AU art (like the box art or the A5 clear file art). That art in question makes it clear that Yu stands in the dividing line between the characters, which is something that they might have wanted to reflect in the character select screen (plus, Yu being the main character). This is a concept that would no longer be maintained if the character select screen only adds Margaret and Marie, yet has the exact same layout. Which brings me to my next point...

3. Symmetry. If we assume that symmetry is something they want to maintain in the character select screen, and if we assume that there will be at least 2 random icons no matter what, only adding slots for Marie and Margaret will mess around with it a bit. There's the point relating to point 2 where Yu's column would no longer be at the center of it all, but there's something else that's been bothering me since Rise (and [Redacted]'s) introduction to the screen: the P3 vs. P4 juxtaposition, depicted on the box art, has been lost.

Here's a second proposal that I think would fix all of these "issues" (re-arranging as little as possible for clarity):

FIRST ROW
Margaret-Rise-Sho-Naoto-Teddie-Yukiko-Yu-Yosuke-Chie-Kanji-Minazuki-[Redacted]-Marie

SECOND ROW
Random-Ken-Yukari-Labrys-Mitsuru-Aigis-Random-Elizabeth-Akihiko-S. Labrys-Junpei-Makoto-Random

With that: there are 3 random slots again; the main P4AU concept of Yu (and Yu alone) at the center of it all is maintained and symmetry is maintained, with there being an exact row division between P3 and P4, as well as there being an equal number of characters going to and from Yu's column (6 on each side, on both rows).

It's all meaningless in the grand scheme of things because there is no evidence here, but if we're taking into account what the final screen might look like, this is something to consider. It's good to consider all possibilities.

Well, the first game events are like any other P4 rescue mission (person in the TV, IT to the rescue, the person obtains its Persona, etc. all can happen in one day) but yeah, Ultimax happening two days after it does seems weird. Anyways, I think he's refering to the fact that because the game is canon, characters like
P3MC, Shinji, P1 and P2 characters, Strega, etc.
can't be playable in the game.
OK, sorry guys.

But how can I delete the double post?
I think only a mod can delete a post, but don't worry about it, just for future reference.

Well, the first game events are like any other P4 rescue mission (person in the TV, IT to the rescue, the person obtains its Persona, etc. all can happen in one day) but yeah, Ultimax happening two days after it does seems weird. Anyways, I think he's refering to the fact that because the game is canon, characters like
P3MC, Shinji, P1 and P2 characters, Strega, etc.
can't be playable in the game.

Debate over
P3MC
aside, those other characters could simply be fakes made by
The Malevolent Entity.
If he can make fake shadows, making
fake people
can't be that big of a stretch.

Rocksxp

Neo Member
Apparently nenilein* has heard there is two more DLC characters after Marie. I think she a pretty trustworthy person and I don’t think she would lie. On the other hand I don’t know how she’d run into this information. So take it with a grain of salt.

It's just that Atlus is eerily quite about this game, the latest update on the JP site is already over one year old (2013-04-25)

Its a niche game man. Atlus and Nintendo have better selling games to worry about right now. We know it still on track don't worry about it.

With that: there are 3 random slots again; the main P4AU concept of Yu (and Yu alone) at the center of it all is maintained and symmetry is maintained, with there being an exact row division between P3 and P4, as well as there being an equal number of characters going to and from Yu's column (6 on each side, on both rows).

It's all meaningless in the grand scheme of things because there is no evidence here, but if we're taking into account what the final screen might look like, this is something to consider. It's good to consider all possibilities.

You make some good points. I admit P4 characters seeping into the P3 side always did bother me,But sadly I don't think your Second proposal is going to happen with Marie being on the P3 side on the cover.

http://nenilein.tumblr.com/post/92148688162/have-you-noticed-the-pattern-of-revealing-the-new

Nap1400

Frankly the only reason I want an SMT fighter is for Atlus to give turn Demi-fiend into the ultimate final boss and make everyone throw their controllers at the screen. Make him even worse than Score Attack Elizabeth.

FluxWaveZ

You make some good points. I admit P4 characters seeping into the P3 side always did bother me,But sadly I don't think that going to happen with Marie being on the P3 side on the cover.

Yeah, there's Marie being on the P3 side which goes against that possibility. Then again, we have [Redacted] who would otherwise be on the P3 row despite being on the P4 side in the box art, and Rise who I mentioned before and who's also on the P4 side in the box art, despite being on the opposite row.

Apparently nenilein* has heard there is two more DLC characters after Marie. I think she a pretty trustworthy person and I don’t think she would lie. On the other hand I don’t know how she’d run into this information. So take it with a grain of salt.

http://nenilein.tumblr.com/post/92148688162/have-you-noticed-the-pattern-of-revealing-the-new

Nope. "From friends" is the dumbest source there is; either she's lying, or her sources are. Unless no one was lying and it refers to Marie and Margaret, which would be two additional DLC characters.

Something funny about Dojima being a P4AU character, though, is how Nanako says "Let's have dad help us next time" when she's a navigator.

Squire

Banned
Nope. "From friends" is the dumbest source there is; either she's lying, or her sources are. Unless no one was lying and it refers to Marie and Margaret, which would be two additional DLC characters.

I know you dislike "sources" in general (you certainly seem to), but that's how it works. You establish sources by making connections with people close to projects, usually in casual settings, too. (Conventions, bars, parties.)

On the contrary, "friends" are the best kind of source to have. Your friends don't lie to you.

FluxWaveZ

I know you dislike "sources" in general (you certainly seem to), but that's how it works. You establish sources by making connections with people close to projects, usually in casual settings, too. (Conventions, bars, parties.)

On the contrary, "friends" are the best kind of source to have. Your friends don't lie to you.

...Right. Okay, when was the last time "inside sources" have paid off in any way related to Persona ever and hasn't ended up in an absolute, 100% total dud?

"From friends", the most trustworthy of sources! Just like "my uncle told me", since family would never lie.

Sophia

How is a random person on tumblr using the most generic justification for spreading rumors a "pretty trustworthy person" again?

No he's entirely right. If your sources are so far removed from the actual source of information that you have to say "from friends", then you don't say anything.

Marche90

It still on schedule dammit.

Oh, I know. I meant only the amount of time that it's taking for us to get any kind of info of it.

Random thought: Has Atlus ever gone to TGS? I know they are one of the companies that skip TGS sometimes, but is it always like that? Or have they made an appareance recently?

Squire

Banned
...Right. Okay, when was the last time "inside sources" have paid off in any way related to Persona ever and hasn't ended up in an absolute, 100% total dud?

"From friends", the trustiest of sources!

There's more to life than Persona, man. I'm making a general statement about sources and leaks because, taken generally, the statement you made is silly.

No he's entirely right. If your sources are so far removed from the actual source of information that you have to say "from friends", then you don't say anything.

We don't know they're "far removed". She didn't say that.

I don't know this person. I'm saying that people tell you things because they have a relationship with you.

FluxWaveZ

There's more to life than Persona, man. I'm making a general statement about sources and leaks because, taken generally, the statement you made is silly.

Then don't take it generally, because I thought it was obvious I was referring to the claim of an extra DLC character in P4AU. I'm not talking about how a friend could tell you the best ramen place in a city as a "source."

Neither am I, wise guy.

...Again, right. I like debating and all, but this isn't something I'm going to waste my time with, because it's so ridiculously silly.

Sophia

We don't know they're "far removed". She didn't say that.

I don't know this person. I'm saying that people tell you things because they have a relationship with you.

Exactly.

Who is this nenilein? Do they have a previous history of revealing stuff? Is there any reason to assume they're not just making stuff up?

And yes the source is "far removed" because people who are close to the source generally don't go to a random tumblr and use the most basic justification in the book to spread info.

Xenoflare

All this P4AU talk reminds me of something.

Since the Shadow types have old combos from P4A for returning characters, but what about the new characters like Yukari, Junpei and Ken? Will they have a different autocombo as well?

Squire

Banned
Exactly.

Who is this nenilein? Do they have a previous history of revealing stuff? Is there any reason to assume they're not just making stuff up?

And yes the source is "far removed" because people who are close to the source generally don't go to a random tumblr and use the most basic justification in the book to spread info.

Someone asked her a question and she answered. Someone saw the post and linked it here. She put it into the ether, but I see no evidence of a directive to "spread info" on her part. She just answered a question on her blog.

We don't know she's not very good friends with one or more Atlus employees. You seem to be happy to entertain one possibly, but the other is just as valid. Like you said: We don't know this person. You can't say firmly either way.

Sophia

Someone asked her a question and she answered. Someone saw the post and linked it here. She put it into the ether, but I see no evidence of a directive to "spread info" on her part. She just answered a question on her blog.

We don't know she's not very good friends with one or more Atlus employees. You seem to be happy to entertain one possibly, but the other is just as valid. Like you said: We don't know this person. You can't say firmly either way.

Without further evidence indicating one way or another, I have every reason to assume they're no different than the thousands (or even millions) of people who claim stuff like this anonymously all the time.

While I won't word it as harshly as Flux put it, he's right. Unless Rocksxp tells us why we should believe this person, we have no reason to further give it the time of day. Nor do we need to make disingenuous comments ("wise guy") at people for taking a logical approach to it. :p

arue

Oh, I know. I meant only the amount of time that it's taking for us to get any kind of info of it.

Random thought: Has Atlus ever gone to TGS? I know they are one of the companies that skip TGS sometimes, but is it always like that? Or have they made an appareance recently?

SMT IV was announced at TGS 2012, which means Atlus must be there. They haven't make an appearance at TGS since then.

Edit: I hope they will make an appearance this year. The thirst for P5 news is real.

Marche90

SMT IV was announced at TGS 2012, which means Atlus must be there. They haven't make an appearance at TGS since then.

Edit: I hope they will make an appearance this year. The thirst for P5 news is real.

Actually, SMT IV was in SEGA's booth. By themselves, they weren't.

But seeing as how SEGA owns Atlus now, perhaps they very well will make an appearance...

Indeed, the thirst is real :lol

FluxWaveZ

1998 (Thousand Arms)
1999 (Showing off Maken X)
2003 (Busin 0, Growlanser 4)
2005 (Princess Crown)

It seems they had been going to TGS pretty consistently since at least 1998, until 2006 (which is coincidentally the year Persona 3 came out), mostly to show off the various titles they were publishing than the titles they were developing internally.

This time, who knows. They're a Sega subsidiary now, so maybe some of Atlus' stuff would be shown with their booth. Furthermore, some of Atlus' stuff like Persona 4 Arena and Catherine were shown off at TGS at other developers' booths more recently, without Atlus having an official presence.

Squire

Banned
Without further evidence indicating one way or another, I have every reason to assume they're no different than the thousands (or even millions) of people who claim stuff like this anonymously all the time.

While I won't word it as harshly as Flux put it, he's right. Unless Rocksxp tells us why we should believe this person, we have no reason to further give it the time of day. Nor do we need to make disingenuous comments ("wise guy") at people for taking a logical approach to it. :p

The ramen line was a wise crack by a wise guy. *shrug*

Regardless of whether the source turns out to be true or not, it's not exactly verifiable. As of now, it's only good for fueling speculation, which is okay, but we've already got enough.

The 4th DLC character will be the blue haired persona 3 character we've been all waiting for.

Fuuka.

*heavy seething*

Wow this thread hasn't moved much since I left for church this morning. lol

Anyway, anyone has time to teach me?
Well, first the Earth cooled, then the dinosaurs came. But they got too big and fat, so they all died and turned into oil. Then some stuff nobody cares about happened, then we invented fire
(or the wheel, I forget which came first)

Wazzy

Banned
Okay so I just beat the mirror boss. I still need to figure out the social links available and which to focus on.

I've completed Kenji and Kazushi and I've started Yuka, Chihiro, student council guy and photography guy.

I was reading in the original you can reverse links if you work on too many girls at once. Does that still apply to P3P?

GSR

Yo, people: as a friend of Neni's (though not the 'friend' in question), she's not saying she has insider info, nor is she trying to make it seem like she does. When she said she heard from a friend, she means she heard from a friend who's been watching the P4U2 livestreams and thought s/he heard something about two DLC characters. She's in no way saying or trying to say she's certain there's more characters to be announced.

Her exact words:

Why are people quoting me!? I’m not a reliable source! Just a random fangirl who happens to watch Atlus’ livestreams and has friends who do the same. O-o;

Seriously, protip, when I am sure about something, I usually name exactly where I got my info from. When I say “I’ve heard from friends” I mean “I have heard that thing, so it may be right or wrong”.

In that case, I had heard that there were “Two more DLC characters to come” from a friend who’s been closely following Atlus’ P4U2 lifestreams. I have no way of checking what exactly has been said myself, I just said what I had been told. That’s not a reliable source.

Please don’t quote me unless I am referring to something reliable, like tangible media or other evidence or if I have made it clear that what I am saying is my own experience/speculation only. ^_^;

Oh boy, half that thread sound like they hate me now… yikes.

Sophia

http://nenilein.tumblr.com/post/92389390142/yu-are-foolish

Looks like I was right about it just being casual info that's quite a few steps out from the source. Good to know it wasn't anything malicious. Thank you pan for linking this on Twitter.

And no Neni, we don't hate you. We've just had bad cases of insider leaks here before. Thank you for clearing it up!

EDIT:

I see someone beat me to the punch. Thanks again for clearing it up!

Yo, people: as a friend of Neni's (though not the 'friend' in question), she's not saying she has insider info, nor is she trying to make it seem like she does. When she said she heard from a friend, she means she heard from a friend who's been watching the P4U2 livestreams and thought s/he heard something about two DLC characters. She's in no way saying or trying to say she's certain there's more characters to be announced.

Her exact words:

Top Bottom