• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT6| Where 6 Comes Before 5 (No PQ or P4U spoilers!)

Kanji, too.

It's less about the color and more about what it says about them and its relation to the themes of Persona 4.

Yeah, I didnt mention Kanji before since that one is explicitly mentioned in game on several occasions whereas Yosuke and Chie sorta came along afterwards.

Yosuke and Kanji I understand, Yosuke going for the 'pretty boy' look and Kanji going for the 'punk' look. Both fits in with their characters pretty well.

It's the Chie one I dont quite get, I cant fathom a reason other than 'it's a thing girls do'.

sakuori

So they're running a giveaway in Atlus' page on Facebook and you win a Marie DLC code for EU. The question is 'what is your favorite Marie moment and why?'

My favorite moment of Marie was when she disappeared c:
When she wasn't on my screen.
When I kicked 17 Marie players in a straight row in less than a hour on P4AU.

These answers I'm dying lol

20 hours into Persona Q on the P4 Story and I'm on the Third Labyrinth,
the Spirit Club in Class 4 which is 2spooky4me. After the second boss which had me in hysterics throughout the entire battle, I'm pretty sure Rei is a massive liar in regards to the items locked away in the boss chests. I also figured out how to "bind" Agility, so I'm somewhat confident that my characters won't miss as often as they already do. I also think that the Sacrifice Spread in the Velvet Room is an absolutely fantastic idea that should be included in Persona 5.

Overall I give the game 9/10, will probably update my thoughts on the game as I continue plodding along.
It needs more moments with Marie. :V

DNAbro

Huh, amazon says that my order is out for delivery to the pick up location yet I don't think my dorm is open cause of Thanksgiving holiday so if it does try to get delivered I'll have to wait....

Dantis

So after just about having a breakdown, I have decided to download Persona Q from the eShop.

And if my physical copy isn't here tomorrow I am going to be making a very angry phone call.

PK Gaming

Ok everybody, *pause*

B3h-89-CcAAsbwK.jpg

arue just finished drawing her latest commission, and it's amazing.

*unpause*

Dantis

This is what my madness/sadness has led me to.

Going to return my physical copy to ShopTo whether they like it or not (if it's even been sent out, and I don't think it has), and then I'll probably buy it physically later down the line. Might even get a US copy now that I'm in no hurry. Could at least play it on my US XL.

Also, Arue, that picture is great!

TimmiT

Meanwhile in the Netherlands: lots of stores don't have Persona Q in stock and one of the biggest game stores, Game Mania, changed the release date to December 5th.

Sophia

This is what my madness/sadness has led me to.

Going to return my physical copy to ShopTo whether they like it or not (if it's even been sent out, and I don't think it has), and then I'll probably buy it physically later down the line. Might even get a US copy now that I'm in no hurry. Could at least play it on my US XL.

Also, Arue, that picture is great!

Seeing your picture hurts. I bought a 3DS XL to avoid having to play Persona Q on that horrible regular 3DS. ;_;

Later today tho, if all goes right.

Dantis

Q is great. The dungeon crawling feels a bit P1-esque to me. I think the visual style (besides the characters) definitely contribute to that.

Presentation is super slick for something so lo-fi. Voice direction is mostly wonderful, feeling more in line with P3, P4 and Catherine than recent releases. The script is, at its worst, harmless. It's not as good as a mainline release, but it's miles better than Ultimax.

FluxWaveZ

Heh, didn't expect Persona Q to also secretly be Ace Attorney: Persona. I'm doing my second side quest now that involves testimonies, evidence and correct deductions.

Gazoinks

Heh, didn't expect Persona Q to also secretly be Ace Attorney: Persona. I'm doing my second side quest now that involves testimonies, evidence and correct deductions.

Yeah, that one was great. I love that there are sidequests that are entirely about character interaction.

Xenoflare

Q is great. The dungeon crawling feels a bit P1-esque to me. I think the visual style (besides the characters) definitely contribute to that.

Presentation is super slick for something so lo-fi. Voice direction is mostly wonderful, feeling more in line with P3, P4 and Catherine than recent releases. The script is, at its worst, harmless. It's not as good as a mainline release, but it's miles better than Ultimax.

Yes... this game's persona feel is very strong despite of it's EO core. The sub persona system echoes to P1/P2. Fusion borrows P4G's choose-your-skills which is fantastic.
skill card extraction and sacrificial fusion are also very welcomed changes.

I would have love it more if it used SMT IV's rich search engine options.

Overall, PQ is a lovely blend between p3/4 and old school game play. Spiced up with modern persona games as far as battles go too.

Although, I have to say that I'm not exactly a huge fan on the dungeon puzzles.

PK Gaming

(clears throat)

I'm actually a fan of Marie in Persona Q.

Seriously. She's actually pretty likeable now! She's pretty much the same character, it's just that her execution is waaaaaaayy better.

-She's abrasive, but the right kind of abrasive. Funny.
-She still slings poetry, but it's done properly. There's self-awareness now.
-She's still a part of the velvet room, but her interactions with Margaret are much better now.

And best of all? She's fun. Her presence doesn't suck the life out of scenes like in P4G/A. In fact, she ends up enhancing many of the scenes she's in.

I think the biggest improvement here is her dialogue. It was stilted, cheesy and melodramatic in Persona 4 Golden, but she's way much laidback and less... stiff in Persona Q. The fact that she's a "jerkass with a heart of gold" is driven much stronger in Persona Q as well.

Honestly? If she was like this in P4G from the get go, she might have been one of my favorite characters...

Xenoflare

(clears throat)

I'm actually a fan of Marie in Persona Q.

Seriously. She's actually pretty likeable now! She's pretty much the same character, it's just that her execution is waaaaaaayy better.

-She's abrasive, but the right kind of abrasive. Funny.
-She still slings poetry, but it's done properly. There's self-awareness now.
-She's still a part of the velvet room, but her interactions with Margaret are much better now.

And best of all? She's fun. Her presence doesn't suck the life out of scenes like in P4G/A. In fact, she ends up enhancing many of the scenes she's in.

I think the biggest improvement here is her dialogue. It was stilted, cheesy and melodramatic in Persona 4 Golden, but she's way much laidback and less... stiff in Persona Q. The fact that she's a "jerkass with a heart of gold" is driven much stronger in Persona Q as well.

Honestly? If she was like this in P4G from the get go, she might have been one of my favorite characters...

Her English voicework is impressive, I have to say, as far as her character goes, I think the fact that she is not shoehorned in as much as she was in P4G helped a lot.

But still
She ain't doin' anything useful in game, the velvet siblings handles the facilities and she's just...... there.

After what seemed like an eternity, my copy of PQ arrived today. I haven't gotten very far, but I'm extremely impressed by the gameplay and localization. It's great to see the P3 cast as they were in P3 again, especially Yukari and Ken. The dungeons are really interesting too, enough that I'll probably pick up my copy of EOIV after I'm done.

So in lieu of anything more interesting to add to the conversation, I just wanted to say bravo to Atlus and Atlus USA. This game is fantastic.

Glad to hear the positive PQ impressions. I just finished SMTIV but PQ hasn't arrived yet so it's time to dive into DanganRonpa 2, picked it up during the sale and am really looking forward to playing it.

Dantis

I think they should do something along the lines of full Wild Card for the protagonist, and Sub Personas for the party members.

Vylash

Part of me really wants Persona Q, but I'm really not an EO fan and i don't like first person exploration so i don't think i'll-

Okay nevermind, I must have this

Meia

I'm still really early on, so someone correct me if I'm wrong, but Naoto is god tier in this in comparison to her appearance in P4. I can even understand why to me:
Naoto comes in rather late to the investigation, and even though she figures out things as everyone else has(with as much information as she could possibly have), it just seems like she plays a foil too much with Yu. In the beginning of PQ here, you can see how sharp her mind is. It just adds a lot to the character to see her at the beginning of an investigation as opposed to the tail end of it.

Really digging everything about this game so far, and have only hit the 3rd floor of the first dungeon, lol.

There's an aspect about PQ that I really like. I'm trying various team members, but not the entire rooster, meaning that I have to swap in and out members from time to time. But here is what I like: battling and rising those units that are one or two levels behind the rest isn't boring or dull.

Grinding comes very natural in this game. The in battle dialogue makes it really enjoyable, and the difficulty makes every battle something you have to focus on, not just anything that you can choose any attack and still win. That's what I like, that battling doesn't become an automatic process of "face and enemy,choose an attack, win" and each battle can be different from the next one and the one before. That's what makes the experience really enjoyable in my opinion and why I'm having such a blast with this game. What do you guys think?

DNAbro

YES IT CAME IN THIS MORNING. READY TO LIGHT UP THE FIRE IN THE NIGHT P4 STYLE

EDIT:eek:h god i missed hearing the velvet room song

Dantis

Six and a half hours into PQ. Loving most of it. The battle system is amaze, and the dungeons are actually really good. Not feeling Zen and Rei, and Rei definitely has a bit of Marie's "We're best friends because we met ten minutes ago!" thing going on.

The feel of the game and the events within it are also really surreal. If the game ended with Narukami waking up in bed and the text "IT WAS ALL A DREAM" across the screen, I wouldn't even be surprised. I guess that's intentional though, considering the theme of the first dungeon.

I'm still really early on, so someone correct me if I'm wrong, but Naoto is god tier in this in comparison to her appearance in P4. I can even understand why to me:
Naoto comes in rather late to the investigation, and even though she figures out things as everyone else has(with as much information as she could possibly have), it just seems like she plays a foil too much with Yu. In the beginning of PQ here, you can see how sharp her mind is. It just adds a lot to the character to see her at the beginning of an investigation as opposed to the tail end of it.

I actually disagree a lot. The parts where I found her an interesting character was where she dropped her facade and acted normal. PQ's portrayal of her is fine, but she just comes across as P4's Mitsuru, only nicer. From what I've seen she's the constant straight man to the increasingly zany antics.

arue

There's an aspect about PQ that I really like. I'm trying various team members, but not the entire rooster, meaning that I have to swap in and out members from time to time. But here is what I like: battling and rising those units that are one or two levels behind the rest isn't boring or dull.

Grinding comes very natural in this game. The in battle dialogue makes it really enjoyable, and the difficulty makes every battle something you have to focus on, not just anything that you can choose any attack and still win. That's what I like, that battling doesn't become an automatic process of "face and enemy,choose an attack, win" and each battle can be different from the next one and the one before. That's what makes the experience really enjoyable in my opinion and why I'm having such a blast with this game. What do you guys think?
I have to agree with you that the random battles in this game don't feel boring at all. I think it's all thanks to the sub-personas, which give you different skills and thus making you to change tactics even in random battles.

It also helps that the battle song is enjoyable to listen to and the chorus sometimes pumps me up in a longer battle.

As a Persona fan, I think Persona Q is a lot more enjoyable compared to EO.

Really digging everything about this game so far, and have only hit the 3rd floor of the first dungeon, lol.

I always figured the "foil" angle for her was that the MC was the only one to be able to hang with her intellectually, with Yosuke not too far on the outside of that line. Hell, it's the entire reason for her slinkin' (Solvin' riddles gets her SO hot 'n bothered.)

Six and a half hours into PQ. Loving most of it. The battle system is amaze, and the dungeons are actually really good. Not feeling Zen and Rei, and Rei definitely has a bit of Marie's "We're best friends because we met ten minutes ago!" thing going on.

The feel of the game and the events within it are also really surreal. If the game ended with Narukami waking up in bed and the text "IT WAS ALL A DREAM" across the screen, I wouldn't even be surprised. I guess that's intentional though, considering the theme of the first dungeon.

I actually disagree a lot. The parts where I found her an interesting character was where she dropped her facade and acted normal. PQ's portrayal of her is fine, but she just comes across as P4's Mitsuru, only nicer. From what I've seen she's the constant straight man to the increasingly zany antics.

Compared to how most everyone was the straight man to the Megaten Crazy of the original games, this has been real good having that extra layer of lucidity.

One of the things I'm liking so far is how differently I'm approaching battles.

In normal Persona, I NEVER use status effect magic and VERY RARELY use buffs or debuffs.

But in this, I'm using them all the time! I think status effects may have a higher success rate than usual, and the fact that they attempt to hit for 3 turns while you can perform other actions is amazing! I'm poisoning nearly every enemy I come across because it does SO MUCH damage!

Not only that but the binds are crippling compared to the usual debuff spells so I'm using them a lot too! And the charges now do 3x damage as opposed to 2.5x so they seem more worthwhile as well!

They really got the battles right in this game.

Hey guys, I'm a little bit confused about how [Navi] Skills work, do they apply only if the Sub-Persona is equiped by the Navigator? Or do they have an effect no matter who's using them?

Hey guys, I'm a little bit confused about how [Navi] Skills work, do they apply only if the Sub-Persona is equiped by the Navigator? Or do they have an effect no matter who's using them?

Only if they are equipped by the Navi.

I gave Rise a persona with Orb of Resolve and DAMN is that a good skill to have!

One of the things I'm liking so far is how differently I'm approaching battles.

In normal Persona, I NEVER use status effect magic and VERY RARELY use buffs or debuffs.

But in this, I'm using them all the time! I think status effects may have a higher success rate than usual, and the fact that they attempt to hit for 3 turns while you can perform other actions is amazing! I'm poisoning nearly every enemy I come across because it does SO MUCH damage!

Not only that but the binds are crippling compared to the usual debuff spells so I'm using them a lot too! And the charges now do 3x damage as opposed to 2.5x so they seem more worthwhile as well!

They really got the battles right in this game.

Here's hoping they take a bunch of these ideas into P5. Wouldn't mind if the dungeon design was like this either.

PK Gaming

Totally. It's mostly due to the fact that she isn't constantly reiterating information we already know or talking down the player. She's a part of the group dynamic from onset, and really gets to show off this time around (via sidequests, solving puzzles for you, etc). She actually feels like a detective this time around (Her new VA just plain rules)

Naoto is in a growing list of characters I like as of Persona Q.

Top Bottom