• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT6| Where 6 Comes Before 5 (No PQ or P4U spoilers!)

FluxWaveZ

Naoto is in a growing list of characters I like as of Persona Q.

I'm feeling the same. I'm doing the P3 side, so it might be the change in perspective, but I'm appreciating characters like Naoto, Rise and Chie more from interactions in PQ than what I remember from what I experienced in P4/P4G.

Persona Q... it isn't Persona, but it does Persona better than the originating titles in many ways. I hope I'm not the only one thinking this. I'm dreading the fact that P5 for sure won't have map drawing in it for example

kewlmyc

So how do people feel about Rei and Zen so far? I kinda like them. They're probably my second favorite "new additions" as of late to the Persona universe (Marie, Labrys, Sho, Rei/Zen). They might become my favs of the new guys if their story payoff is good.

So how do people feel about Rei and Zen so far? I kinda like them. They're probably my second favorite "new additions" as of late to the Persona universe (Marie, Labrys, Sho, Rei/Zen). They might become my favs of the new guys if their story payoff is good.

I expected Rei to be the way she is, but Zen took me by surprise. I thought he was gonna be one of those hot headed characters but he's so calm and collected. He is overprotective of Rei, but I mean the girl is pretty aloof and only cares about food :p

Really nice additions in my opinion. Much better character and personality in both of them than Sho from Ultimax. I care about these 2. Sho? Not really.

Dantis

Very bad. I do not like them at all. Very one-dimensional, and Rei exists literally to be cute and make jokes about food.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Q... it isn't Persona, but it does Persona better than the originating titles in many ways. I hope I'm not the only one thinking this. I'm dreading the fact that P5 for sure won't have map drawing in it for example

Eh, I'd prefer it if P5 didn't have map drawing. It's an EO thing, and that's not really how the Persona dungeon crawling is designed for. I'd like it if P5 dungeon design takes a step up from its predecessors, but it's (presumably) a different kind of RPG.

I like Rei much more than I thought I would. Zen's alright, and I wasn't necessarily expecting him to have the personality he does, but I'm pretty indifferent towards him overall.

Sophia

Somewhere, a legion of Persona 1 fans (including Buddha) are foaming at the mouth in anger at you. :p

Eh, I'd prefer it if P5 didn't have map drawing. It's an EO thing, and that's not really how the Persona dungeon crawling is designed for. I'd like it if P5 dungeon design takes a step up from its predecessors, but it's (presumably) a different kind of RPG.

Persona 5 won't have map drawing
because it'll be an open world RPG! BELIEVE IT~!

Not as automatically nausea-inducing as Marie, at least (they ain't on my team, let's say that).

Totally. It's mostly due to the fact that she isn't constantly reiterating information we already know or talking down the player. She's a part of the group dynamic from onset, and really gets to show off this time around (via sidequests, solving puzzles for you, etc). She actually feels like a detective this time around (Her new VA just plain rules)

Naoto is in a growing list of characters I like as of Persona Q.

She doesn't sound as Mitsuru-like as the previous VA did, even in a normal non-"yo, I'm totatlly a dude" register.

Dantis

Persona 5 would be pretty weird with map drawing.

I do kind of feel like they have to have structured dungeons now, though. The problem is making them long whilst still having them that way, though.

She doesn't sound as Mitsuru-like as the previous VA did, even in a normal non-"yo, I'm totatlly a dude" register.

What. The new VA sounds waaaaay more like Mitsuru.

Zen is whatever. His worst crime is that he's bland, which isn't great, but isn't terrible or anything. If nothing else, I like that he's not the hotheaded overprotective stereotype, so he's got at least a little invention in him.

Rei is awful. Her entire character falls into "Look how cute she is! Care about her because she's cute!"

I really hate when female characters are given this excuse for characterization. Reducing something's entire existence to "It's cute! Aww!" is something you do to objects (and animals in certain contexts), not to people.

Edit: To clarify, it'd be fine if she was cute as long as she had something else to her. Right now she's a cute drawing for everyone to fawn over. Eating a lot isn't a personality trait.

Sophia

Persona 5 would be pretty weird with map drawing.

I do kind of feel like they have to have structured dungeons now, though. The problem is making them long whilst still having them that way, though.

I wouldn't mind the compromise of having both structured layouts and randomized floors. Actual structured layouts like PQ's dungeons, not that crap they did in Persona 4.

PK Gaming

Zen & Rei are great.

They're PQ's central characters, but the developers realized that we're primarily playing this game for the P3/P4 cast, so they're never the center of attention for long. Rei's characterization isn't exactly novel, but she's still cute and endearing. Ashley Bursch really adds a lot to her character.

Zen's mild, but he's voiced by Keith Silverstein, so +5 to him.

Sophia

Yeah, P1 and P2 aren't know for being the best gameplay wise right?

Persona 2's gameplay is pretty meh. Unless you're playing Innocent Sin PSP, then it's top tier crap.

Persona 1's gameplay actually holds up pretty good however. Game suffers from balancing issues, but the core gameplay is strong.

Dantis

Persona 2's gameplay is pretty meh. Unless you're playing Innocent Sin PSP, then it's top tier crap.

Persona 1's gameplay actually holds up pretty good however. Game suffers from balancing issues, but the core gameplay is strong.

Yup. P1P is miles more enjoyable to actually play than P2. The dungeons in PQ evoke the same feeling pretty well.

Sophia

Yup. P1P is miles more enjoyable to actually play than P2. The dungeons in PQ evoke the same feeling pretty well.

I used to be a lot harsher on Persona 1, but in recent years my love for hardcore games (and hardcore dungeon crawlers especially) has been rekindled. As a result, I'm rather fond of both versions of Persona 1 now.

On the other hand, I've hated the stupid tarot card system in Persona 2 since I first played it back at it's release. And my hatred for it's stupid system has only grown since then.

Acid08

Banned
I actually think P1 has the best dungeon gameplay out of all of these but very few agree with me. PQ easily bests it though.
I'd agree with you there prolly. The layouts and gimmicks(with the exception of that one dungeon, you know the one) were more fun to explore.

The speed of battles certainly makes the dungeons more fun to me, PQ and P1P are really good at that. You're always making progress.

cj_iwakura

I used to be a lot harsher on Persona 1, but in recent years my love for hardcore games (and hardcore dungeon crawlers especially) has been rekindled. As a result, I'm rather fond of both versions of Persona 1 now.

On the other hand, I've hated the stupid tarot card system in Persona 2 since I first played it back at it's release. And my hatred for it's stupid system has only grown since then.

I have no problem with P2's tarot system, since it's pretty easy to break.

arue

Both characters still feel a bit flat so far (second dungeon). Zen is like the typical overprotective character, but can be unexpectedly funny sometimes.
Rei is just as I thought she would be: cheerfully talking about food all the time and always get close to Zen whenever she's scared.

Other than that, I love both characters' voice acting.

I don't think there will ever be a map-drawing feature in a Persona game that is not on a handheld. It would be too tedious to draw using a PS3/PS4 controller.

Sophia

I have no problem with P2's tarot system, since it's pretty easy to break.

Just because it's easy to break doesn't mean it's not an utterly stupid system that defeats the whole point of negotiations in the first place.

While Persona 1 added an additional step, it didn't deviate from "Successful Negotiation = Get Demon/Persona spell card."

Pretty crazy how both the PS1 and PSP version of P1 have completely different feels to them due to the completely changed ost and sound effects.

They're both pretty awesome too. I only wish the PS1 version had a translation that wasn't censored so we could freely pick.

cj_iwakura

Just because it's easy to break doesn't mean it's not an utterly stupid system that defeats the whole point of negotiations in the first place.

While Persona 1 added an additional step, it didn't deviate from "Successful Negotiation = Get Demon/Persona spell card."

I kind of like the instant gratification of just getting a Persona from the right amount and not having to fuse the spell cards.(Which probably sounds weird since I love core SMT fusion.)

They're both pretty awesome too. I only wish the PS1 version had a translation that wasn't censored so we could freely pick.

The PSP OST's biggest problem is condensing a four disc OST into a two disc OST and leaving lots of dead air or using repeat tracks(and taking out some character themes altogether).

MSMrRound

She actually feels like a detective this time around (Her new VA just plain rules)

Valerie Arem is great, but as a Naoto fan I still kinda miss the "mystery Voice Actress", since there was a certain unique way she would voice out her lines, especially with the shouting of the name of her Persona.

Eden Riegel is still fantastic as Marie and to be honest, Persona Q is making me appreciate Margaret's new voice actress a bit more. I personally felt that I could not really stand how Margaret was voiced in Ultimax...some vocal direction issues maybe? But yeah, she sounds way better in Persona Q.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Q is making me appreciate Margaret's new voice actress a bit more. I personally felt that I could not really stand how Margaret was voiced in Ultimax...some vocal direction issues maybe? But yeah, she sounds way better in Persona Q.

Yeah. I don't know what was up with Margaret's voice in Ultimax, but I prefer it in PQ. It might have sounded too stiff in P4AU or something, while it sounds more natural in PQ.

However, it's kind of the opposite when it comes to Theodore's voice, for me. I was alright with it in P4AU, but I'm not really liking Theo's voice in PQ.

Xenoflare

Yeah. I don't know what was up with Margaret's voice in Ultimax, but I prefer it in PQ. It might have sounded too stiff in P4AU or something, while it sounds more natural in PQ.

However, it's kind of the opposite when it comes to Theodore's voice, for me. I was alright with it in P4AU, but I'm not really liking Theo's voice in PQ.

I feel that Theo's new voice suits his PQ personality a bit more (being all squishy), it's different but I'm rather okay with it.

New Marge sounds a lot less stiff in PQ than in Ultimax. Her winquotes in Ultimax sounded forced, fortunately that is not the case for PQ. She still sounds monotonic though, while people hated Marge's old dub for the same reason, but her old voice had that subtle hint of sensuality that the new voice lacked.

New Kanji and Naoto sounds perfectly fine, though Naoto sounds more like a grown ass woman

kewlmyc

Both characters still feel a bit flat so far (second dungeon). Zen is like the typical overprotective character, but can be unexpectedly funny sometimes.
Rei is just as I thought she would be: cheerfully talking about food all the time and always get close to Zen whenever she's scared.

Other than that, I love both characters' voice acting.

It's kinda cute that they have your typical oblivious couple thing going on. I was expecting more of a little sister/big brother thing, but I was wrong.

Hopefully the get more fleshed out at the end.

Sophia

2014-11-29-1939366xcrp.jpg
tumblr_nb7sumOaKq1qg7spho1_400.png

Risky Mode. Makoto Yuki. No Items. Final Destination.

PK has informed me that he will never let me live it down if I don't play the game on Risky now.

Risky Mode. Makoto Yuki. No Items. Final Destination.

PK has informed me that he will never let me live it down if I don't play the game on Risky now.

Nice. Wasn't the problem something like having an inherent darkness weakness in addition to electricity, and you game over if the MC dies in Risky, so there's a higher chance of just getting instant game overs from random enemies' Mudos? Though I think resist elements (or some of them at least) can be acquired somewhat early in the game since in the stream I think some of the personas had them.

CorvoSol

The hard part of Persona Q isn't going to be keeping these people more or less equally leveled. The hard part is going to be financing these people. Like holy shit, poor Archie doesn't have cash to burn, people.

Sophia

The hard part of Persona Q isn't going to be keeping these people more or less equally leveled. The hard part is going to be financing these people. Like holy shit, poor Archie doesn't have cash to burn, people.

And you have to manage sub Personas too, which will get costly if you try to min/max.

Ehh, I'm leveling nearly everybody and I'm not really struggling. Just grab stuff from Power Spots whenever you're nearby.

Elizabeth is a fucking extortionist though.

DNAbro

Enjoyed this joke, gonna spoiler it.

Dungeon 1, Floor 3
"Kanji, your on bottom"
"Yeah, I got it, everyone just climb on top of me"

or something similar to that.

Writing is great.

PK Gaming

Actual Persona Q dialogue:

Marie: To the horse, run away through it all... Overcome the countless nights... Gallop free!"

Margaret: Ugh.

Gazoinks

Actual Persona Q dialogue:

Marie: To the horse, run away through it all... Overcome the countless nights... Gallop free!"

Margaret: Ugh.

I honestly like Margaret more in this game than in P4, where I thought she was a little dull. Being the bored matron of all the goofs running around is great.

CorvoSol

Ehh, I'm leveling nearly everybody and I'm not really struggling. Just grab stuff from Power Spots whenever you're nearby.

Elizabeth is a fucking extortionist though.

"Are you missing a couple HP and SP? ALL YOU YENS NOW KIDDO. THAT MALL FOUNTAIN DOESN'T FILL ITSELF."

I honestly like Margaret more in this game than in P4, where I thought she was a little dull. Being the bored matron of all the goofs running around is great.

If there's one thing I like about Marie, it's that her bratty behavior brings out Margaret's character traits. If no one else, the two of them play off one another quite well.

PK Gaming

I love, love, LOVE the new Margaret (voice, personality, everything)

She's my favorite PQ character

I don't really have anything to say but...

http://84xl.tumblr.com/image/103945408334
I made clean line art once. Never again.

I'm not good with designs.

No way man, you made her look super cute.

Top Bottom