• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT6| Where 6 Comes Before 5 (No PQ or P4U spoilers!)

Tamanon

Banned
So if P5 doesn't show up at TGS, what would be the next event for it to be revealed?

I've basically lost faith in a Q1 2015 release. They would have at least announced something by now.

Oh ye of little faith. There's no need to show anything yet, still have another Persona game to push after Ultimax.

atlusprime

Atlus PR
Curious AP, how did you get into the video game industry? What was your major in, and what sort of experience did u have prior to being employed?

Literally fell into it. Was a physics major, but quit and switched to a multi-disciplinary studies degree because I didn't want to go into academia. Threw in some writing/production stuff in with the science and came out with some crazy-ass degree.

Got a job teaching snowboarding in Breckenridge shortly after college, then taught English in Japan for a year. I really liked video/movie production, so my first "real" job back in the states was as a video editing intern in Hot-lanta, then moved to LA to do more production work. Hated doing production in LA (it's awful), but my roommate was a games editor for an online video magazine thing. She got a job in games PR, then she told me when her company had an opening for something entry level. Decided I should get a "real career," (at this point, that meant a job that used Outlook) so I took it. I got that job purely based on the fact that I played video games, was good with computers, knew a little bit about video games press, and didn't fuck up the interview. Of course, that was all pre-2008 economic downturn, so I don't think anything that happened to me is valid for anyone anymore other than "make connections."

Bounced around at different agencies for a some years before winding up in-house at ATLUS. I took a year off to do some work in the financial sector, but I was awful at it and had zero desire other than "make money." Learned a lot of crazy shit along the way, and the reward is I work in video games.

I hope you all enjoyed this fireside chat.

atlusprime

Atlus PR
Heh, I stuck with matching band and still balanced my gaming time. I would play Xenogears before going to school due to waking up early.

Clarinet was for 2 years (4th & 5th grade) & Alto Saxophone was from 6th grade to 12th.

Baritone octave best octave. And I never woke up until ~3 minutes before the bus arrived. Plus, the marching band director at my high school was an ass, so I didn't have any regrets over quitting band.

Levito

Banned
(at this point, that meant a job that used Outlook)

The Outlook part made me laugh more than it should have, so true.

You told us some of this that night at the Heart Attack Grill, still think it's pretty damn great story. Makes me hopeful I can make something out of my writing endeavors in the next year or so, tired of building servers and programming.

atlusprime

Atlus PR
Oh... I'm only up to the teach english in japan bit

JET or private company?

Not JET. I don't think the company exists any more. Still had a fun time, got to live 20 minutes away from Shibuya for a year. A lot of my colleagues from that year are still living and working in Japan.

Literally fell into it. Was a physics major, but quit and switched to a multi-disciplinary studies degree because I didn't want to go into academia. Threw in some writing/production stuff in with the science and came out with some crazy-ass degree.

Got a job teaching snowboarding in Breckenridge shortly after college, then taught English in Japan for a year. I really liked video/movie production, so my first "real" job back in the states was as a video editing intern in Hot-lanta, then moved to LA to do more production work. Hated doing production in LA (it's awful), but my roommate was a games editor for an online video magazine thing. She got a job in games PR, then she told me when her company had an opening for something entry level. Decided I should get a "real career," (at this point, that meant a job that used Outlook) so I took it. I got that job purely based on the fact that I played video games, was good with computers, knew a little bit about video games press, and didn't fuck up the interview. Of course, that was all pre-2008 economic downturn, so I don't think anything that happened to me is valid for anyone anymore other than "make connections."

Bounced around at different agencies for a some years before winding up in-house at ATLUS. I took a year off to do some work in the financial sector, but I was awful at it and had zero desire other than "make money." Learned a lot of crazy shit along the way, and the reward is I work in video games.

Thanks for the detailed response man. Very much appreciated.

The first 10 seconds had me LOL HARD!! :)

Spectrasonic, your avatar is glorious.
Haha, of course there's more:
q8yEBTN.jpg
6zY3srN.jpg
q5MFHth.jpg
OWJC1xq.jpg
iUvCy2s.jpg
yYZodQ9.jpg
I wouldn't mind if P5 went this direction artistically.

So, guys do you have your lists of games you will or may get this year? I NEED HELP THIS YEAR, ALL THOSE GAMES MAN.

Destiny
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (Maybe)
Halo: The Master Chief Collection
Far Cry 4 (Maybe)
Super Smash Bros 3DS
Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimtae
Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair
Persona 4 Arena Ultimax
NBA2K15 (Maybe)
Samurai Warriors 4
Sunset Overdrive (Maybe)
Assassin's Creed Unity
Persona Q: Shadow Of the Labyrinth
Pokemon Omega Ruby (Maybe)
Freedom Wars (Maybe)
Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- (Maybe)
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (Maybe)

DNAbro

So, guys do you have your lists of games you will or may get this year? I NEED HELP THIS YEAR, ALL THOSE GAMES MAN.

Destiny
Far Cry 4 (Maybe)
Super Smash Bros 3DS
Persona 4 Arena Ultimax
NBA2K15 (Maybe)
Samurai Warriors 4
Sunset Overdrive (Maybe)
Assassin's Creed Unity
Freedom Wars (Maybe)

I want to get a lot but money issues. Also Phantom Pain isn't coming out this year.

In order for what I want to get
Destiny
Super Smash Bros Wii U
Persona Q
Super Smash Bros 3DS
Infamous First Light

and that's all I'm definitely getting. I'm waiting till prices go down for a bunch of others.

Destiny
Far Cry 4 (Maybe)
Super Smash Bros 3DS
Persona 4 Arena Ultimax
NBA2K15 (Maybe)
Samurai Warriors 4
Sunset Overdrive (Maybe)
Assassin's Creed Unity
Freedom Wars (Maybe)
Persona Q
Persona 4 Arena Ultimax
Smash 3DS
Smash Wii U
Hyrule Warriors

I want to get a lot but money issues. Also Phantom Pain isn't coming out this year.

In order for what I want to get
Destiny
Super Smash Bros Wii U
Persona Q
Super Smash Bros 3DS
Infamous First Light

and that's all I'm definitely getting. I'm waiting till prices go down for a bunch of others.

Good then, Phantom Pain not coming this year saves me some money, also I don't think I'll be able to buy everything even on my will buy list, MONEY YO.

Destiny
Far Cry 4 (Maybe)
Super Smash Bros 3DS
Persona 4 Arena Ultimax
NBA2K15 (Maybe)
Samurai Warriors 4
Sunset Overdrive (Maybe)
Assassin's Creed Unity
Freedom Wars (Maybe)

For me it's:
Persona 4 Arena Ultimax
Hotline Miami 2
Guilty Gear Xrd
Danganronpa 2
Telltale's Game Of Thrones (if it comes out this year)
And if I borrow a 3DS from a friend, I'll play PQ.

Besides the fact that I only have a PS3 and a Vita (so no Witcher, Arkham Knight, The Order and many more for me), I'm saving up money so I can go to EVO next year.

There's no video of that? D:

Unfortunately not, since it was an invitation-only affair in which no recording or photography was allowed. I'll see if I can't find at least an audio recording of the sound check or rehearsal, though ;)

Take your time with it and you can contact me on twitter if there's anything you need from me ok. Thanks again man!

Thanks for understanding. I'm currently debating whether I should just send off the files I have tonight since I've held you up long enough, or just record new and improved ones with my friend's new professional studio mic. Which would you prefer?

TWILT

Banned
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS
Persona 4 Arena Ultimax
Hyrule Warriors
Bayonetta 2
Persona Q
Pokemon Superior Alpha Sapphire
Guilty Gear Xrd
Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 Remix

These are definite games I'm getting.

Marche90

Phantom Pain is releasing this year?

Uhm... Actually I'm not exactly sure about what I'm going to get this year because a) I'm planning on buying a PSTV (or a standard Vita) and a Wii U and b) I need to land a job soon-ish to be able to afford anything at all.

The absolutely must-buy list for me:

-Persona Q
-Project Diva F 2nd.
-Smash Bros 3DS

Maybe:

-Persona 4 Arena Ultimax
-Ar noSurge
-Theatrhythm Final Fantasy Curtain Call
-Kingdom Hearts HD Remix (Planning to buy both at once)

Depends on me buying the consoles I listed before:

-Danganronpa 2
-Smash Bros Wii U
-Bayonetta 2
-Mario Kart 8 (old, but eh...)
-Hyrule Warriors
-Freedom Wars

Undecided if I still want Layton Vs. Phoenix Wright, Akiba's trip and Fairy Fencer F. Utterly undecided if I should get Watch doges in case I buy a Wii U

...Man, (almost) only Japanese games, I'm a dork xD

Super Smash Bros. for Wii/3DS
Persona 4 Arena Ultimax
Hyrule Warriors
Bayonetta 2
Persona Q
Pokemon Superior Alpha Sapphire
Guilty Gear Xrd
Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 Remix

These are definite games I'm getting.

This is basically my exact list, except I'm getting the Limited Edition of Super Danganronpa 2 instead of Guilty Gear since I am an ultra-scrub who lacks the dexterity to pull off GG combos.

Guess Who

Banned
Quick, PersonaGAF:What's your instrument? We're going to make this happen.

I can guitar, drum, and debatably sing. Played alto sax in sixth and seventh grade, and could probably relearn it but have no real interest in doing so.

I made a scrappy demo of myself playing I'll Face Myself (Battle) on my iPad once. No time signature shift because iPad Garageband doesn't support multiple time signatures in a song, whoops!

LX_Theo

Banned

Destiny
Far Cry 4 (Maybe)
Super Smash Bros 3DS
Persona 4 Arena Ultimax
NBA2K15 (Maybe)
Samurai Warriors 4
Sunset Overdrive (Maybe)
Assassin's Creed Unity
Freedom Wars (Maybe)
My only for sure day 1 buys...

Persona Q
Dragon Age Inquisition
Freedom Wars
Danganronpa 2

Destiny
Far Cry 4 (Maybe)
Super Smash Bros 3DS
Persona 4 Arena Ultimax
NBA2K15 (Maybe)
Samurai Warriors 4
Sunset Overdrive (Maybe)
Assassin's Creed Unity
Freedom Wars (Maybe)
If you're going to have that many maybe buys then you might as well shelve the idea of buying them until a sale comes around.

My list:
Persona 4 Arena Ultimax
Company of Heroes 2: Western Front (already released, but I will probably wait until a Steam sale)
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (after playing the Battlefield Hardline beta with it's "all out criminal warfare", I decided that this year I would most likely end up moving back to the Sledgehammer's cod unless they ruin the PC port like Infinity Ward)
Persona 4: Dancing All Night (not quite sure whether I will actually buy this for my 1 game Vita, I generally dislike the idea of 60 games on a handheld)

And surprisingly, that's it. I thought there would be more, but I guess this year is just slow. Since I don't play shooters on consoles, I'm really limited to mainly two FPSs on my power PC. Then there aren't any new RTSs coming out for probably another year. Goo looks interesting, but it seems too complicated for me to be any good at it.

biodude

Neo Member

Pre-ordered Persona Q and ultimax, going to get Persona 5 (next year I suppose), dancing all night, akiba strip, oddworld new and tasty, munches oddysee on vita, etc.

I took a long break from games for a while, but I've been having a blast in Golden/ my vita, so I'm happy I got back into it now that I've been working for a while

If you're going to have that many maybe buys then you might as well shelve the idea of buying them until a sale comes around.

That is the plan, I may in fact wait a little on some of those must buys even, tough decisions inbound. I have a good balance of western and eastern games though, I am happy about that :p

So, guys do you have your lists of games you will or may get this year? I NEED HELP THIS YEAR, ALL THOSE GAMES MAN

For me I'll list

Persona 4 Arena Ultimax
Persona Q
Guilty Gear Xrd
Smash Bros. 3DS
Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate
Pokemon Alpha Sapphire
DW Gundam Reborn (maybe, yes I know it's already out)

Levito

Banned
Destiny
Persona 4 Ultimax
Alien Isolation
The Evil Within
Persona Q
Guilty Gear Xrd(probably)

Will be getting review copies for a couple of these so thankfully I'm not buying too much.

Destiny
Far Cry 4 (Maybe)
Super Smash Bros 3DS
Persona 4 Arena Ultimax
NBA2K15 (Maybe)
Samurai Warriors 4
Sunset Overdrive (Maybe)
Assassin's Creed Unity
Freedom Wars (Maybe)

- Danganropa 2 (LE preordered off NIS America store)
- Persona 4 Arena Ultimax (Preordered off Amazon)
- Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth (LE preordered off Amazon)
- Pokémon Alpha Sapphire (Probably buying on Black Friday)
- Super Smash Bros. 3DS
- Theatrhythm Curtain Call (Preordered off Amazon)

...so far and I still have to buy a PS4 as well as a Wii U.

Anything else I may pick up along the way is not included at this point. I'm already going to drop some coin for just the Persona Music Fest bd & cd...and contemplating adding another cd to that order.

kewlmyc

DEFINITELY:
Tales of Xillia 2 Collector's Edition
Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair Limited Edition
Persona 4 Arena Ultimax (PS3)
Tales of Hearts R
Persona Q: Shadows of the Labyrinth

MAYBE:
Destiny (PS4)
The Last of Us Remastered
Evolve (PC)
Evil Within (PC)
Far Cry 4 (PC)
Freedom Wars
Guilty Gear Xrd (PS4)
A Wii U (hoping for a bundle)
Super Smash Bros for Wii U
Bayonetta 2

Don't really have a lot of time for games anymore, but I'm a big DR, Tales, and Persona fan so I'll definitely get those even if I don't have time to play them. The rest depends on finances (figures and a new TV take top priority) and time.

So I'm interested in discussing what Persona 5 could be like mechanically. Would like to hear about what you expect and your opinion on some of the things I came up with.

How could they improve on the Social life elements and make it deeper mechanically?

Now I doubt that they'll do something on par with a The Sims game but I could see things like:

-Having a full 24 hours a day cycle
Right now days are split into 3 parts: Morning, Afternoon and Evening. Doing a activity (no matter how superficial) takes up one entire time slot. This will obviously be remedied by having a fully fleshed out time system. They can break up days into 24 hours and the activities you do can take up a certain amount of hours. Planting vegetables could take up 1 hour, eating at a ramen restaurant could take like 39 minutes, walking the dog could take 45 minutes ect. I'm not sure if time would flow automatically or be completely player dependent.

Having a full 24 hour cycle would also affect the the ways social links work. We already have people that are only available on certain days, so maybe we can have one person who has to work first shift on Saturdays but is free afterwards. Maybe we could have someone who plays basketball and has practice on Thursdays, joining the basketball team wouldn't be necessary to do his social link but it would help you level faster because you are spending more time with this person.

I'm all for this if this also allows you to stay up all night working on your Hermit S Link and get to school the next day with huge eyebags.

Xenoflare

For me it's

-Xillia 2
-Ultimax
-PQ.

Games are getting pricier in Canada and I don't shop online, so I have to cut down my purchases.

PK Gaming

That was quite the story

Thanks for sharing!

Top Bottom