• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT6| Where 6 Comes Before 5 (No PQ or P4U spoilers!)

Dat Shadow Aigis is pretty epic.
The thought of Yosuke literally calling Chie in the middle of the night just for that has always made me laugh.
That's what I was going to say lol
It's simultaneously the funniest and saddest thing ever, because up until Yu showed up, Chie was probably his closest friend.
You know, I've been wondering, outside of their group, does any member of the IT has friends or ever interact with some else in a not-story event? (not counting Dojima, Nanako, Adachi and Marie)
Yosuke hangs out with Kou and Daisuke, Chie and Yukiko are friends with them too (and Kou has a crush on Chie). In the anime there seems to be a rivalry between Chie and Ai; and Kanji is also a friend of Naoki. And even though he is not from their school, all of them go to
celebrate Shu's birthday
in one of his social link ranks. But that's all I got so far. lol

FluxWaveZ

I always fuck up performing some attacks in street fighter and skullgirls, does arena use dragon punch movements too or are the attacks easier to pull of?

The game was intentionally designed for beginners to fighting games as fans of Persona—an RPG series—going into it could have found it too complex otherwise. As such, a lot of the game's mechanics were simplified from the typical fighting game, including special/super attack movements, which are all quarter-circle motions and the typical dragon punch being replaced by the press of two buttons. Furthermore, there's the auto-combo system where a character will chain attacks, a special and a super just by pressing a single button several times.

Just picked up original P4A for 5 bucks. It's time to throw down!

(I'm sorry I had to I'll go to the corner now)

Also whats good PersonaGAF it's been like 10 months since I posted here and the only reason I joined the GAF in the first place was to post here.

PK Gaming

Dat Shadow Aigis is pretty epic.

That's what I was going to say lol

You know, I've been wondering, outside of their group, does any member of the IT has friends or ever interact with some else in a not-story event? (not counting Dojima, Nanako, Adachi and Marie)
Yosuke hangs out with Kou and Daisuke, Chie and Yukiko are friends with them too (and Kou has a crush on Chie). In the anime there seems to be a rivalry between Chie and Ai; and Kanji is also a friend of Naoki. And even though he is not from their school, all of them go to
celebrate Shu's birthday
in one of his social link ranks. But that's all I got so far. lol

Hmm:

• We know that Yosuke didn't have many friends or acquaintances before Yu showed up. It's possible that things changed for him during his second year, since as you said, he hangs out with Kou & Daisuke (as well as Ai during one of the optional events).
  • Yukiko talks about how Chie gets along well with a ton of people (guys and girls alike) so she probably has some other acquaintances.
  • Yukiko herself is pretty standoffish to people outside her social circle, so I doubt she was close to anyone outside the group.
  • Kanji spends the better part of the game being a huge asshole to everyone around him, so I also doubt he has any friends outside of the group.
  • During Valentines day, Rise mentions she's still got other people to to give chocolate to, so she presumably has some other friends at Yaso.
  • Naoto is Naoto.
And yeah, Persona 4 was chock-full of random character pairings. I've seen an event where Daisuke and Yumi hang out with each other. Like whoa.

Mdesilva

So PersonaGAF, I'm trying to get into fighting game (mechanics, learning how to use a stick, etc) and want to use Arena to train in overall fighting mechanics before Ultimax comes out. So here's my question: which character would it be best to train with in order to learn all of this stuff? I'm thinking Yu, but is there any better character to learn basic fighting game mechanics with? Or should I try a different game altogether. I thought I'd post here before going to FGCGAF.
Narukami, Chie, Mitsuru (if you're okay with charges). This is the best game to start with. Just be sure to ask lots of questions- plenty of people will be able to help you out with whatever.
Does owning a fight stick make you any better?
Not particularly. It may make some inputs easier though, which is definitely worth it for games like SF4 and BB. Just know that it takes some time to get used to.

I think it feels much more satisfying to use than a pad, too.
I always fuck up performing some attacks in street fighter and skullgirls, does arena use dragon punch movements too or are the attacks easier to pull of?
The motions are only quarter circles (forward, back, and doubles), charges (back-to-front, down-to-up), and down-down. For normals, there's only one standing, jumping, or crouching normal for each button per character in most cases, as opposed to other games that have you press forward, back, diagonal, or close/far variants.

Easiest inputs in any game!

I don't think you've played P4G, which has a lot of this.
Oh darn lol I really need to watch a playthrough of P4G. I'm glad they fixed that because it always weirded me out how "unsocial" they were.
Hmm:

• We know that Yosuke didn't have many friends or acquaintances before Yu showed up. It's possible that things changed for him during his second year, since as you said, he hangs out with Kou & Daisuke (as well as Ai during one of the optional events).
  • Yukiko talks about how Chie gets along well with a ton of people (guys and girls alike) so she probably has some other acquaintances.
  • Yukiko herself is pretty standoffish to people outside her social circle, so I doubt she was close to anyone outside the group.
  • Kanji spends the better part of the game being a huge asshole to everyone around him, so I also doubt he has any friends outside of the group.
  • During Valentines day, Rise mentions she's still got other people to to give chocolate to, so she presumably has some other friends at Yaso.
  • Naoto is Naoto.
And yeah, Persona 4 was chock-full of random character pairings. I've seen an event where Daisuke and Yumi hang out with each other. Like whoa.
Ohh this helps a lot! Thanks.

The game was intentionally designed for beginners to fighting games as fans of Persona—an RPG series—going into it could have found it too complex otherwise. As such, a lot of the game's mechanics were simplified from the typical fighting game, including special/super attack movements, which are all quarter-circle motions and the typical dragon punch being replaced by the press of two buttons. Furthermore, there's the auto-combo system where a character will chain attacks, a special and a super just by pressing a single button several times.
Ok, thanks for the quick response. So I guess I'll get a ps3 whenever P4AU gets released.

FluxWaveZ

Oh darn lol I really need to watch a playthrough of P4G. I'm glad they fixed that because it always weirded me out how "unsocial" they were.

Actually, I was wrong since I believe I misread what you meant. You meant strictly seeing them talk to members outside of the IT, right? P4G has some more of that, but not a lot compared to P4. Sorry.

kewlmyc

Any. Some people will probably recommend Yu because he's the "overall" character, but I disagree that that's supposed to make him more suitable for beginners or anything. Having a character with all-around tools won't make someone learn the neutral game better and, if anything, characters like Akihiko who one needs to be patient with will make one improve by learning how to defend.

If one's not familiar with (air dash) fighting games much, it might be best to avoid Aigis and Shadow Labrys, but for the rest it's just about preference. It'd probably be best to try a bit of each character initially to see how different they play, and then stick to a character who fits your playstyle or that you like aesthetically or whatever.

I'd suggest not Narukami or Mitsuru just because you're going to feel the urge to press DP whenever you're under pressure.

Narukami, Chie, Mitsuru (if you're okay with charges). This is the best game to start with. Just be sure to ask lots of questions- plenty of people will be able to help you out with whatever.

Not particularly. It may make some inputs easier though, which is definitely worth it for games like SF4 and BB. Just know that it takes some time to get used to.

I think it feels much more satisfying to use than a pad, too.

The motions are only quarter circles (forward, back, and doubles), charges (back-to-front, down-to-up), and down-down. For normals, there's only one standing, jumping, or crouching normal for each button per character in most cases, as opposed to other games that have you press forward, back, diagonal, or close/far variants.

Easiest inputs in any game!

Thanks for the support. My first major hurdle is to actually get use to my fightstick. I bought it a few years ago and never really used it. Now I want my $200 fightstick to not have been a huge waste of money. I seem to keep having problems getting the moves I want to come out. Main issue right now is cancelling into skill attacks from regular moves, quick SP Skill attack motions in the middle of combos, and air dashes. All should be solved with a few weeks practice in Challenges Mode, right?

Soma

There's a Persona fanfic generator
ok i got one that was actually pretty good

cxfJUi2.jpg

FluxWaveZ

All should be solved with a few weeks practice in Challenges Mode, right?

Not really, for what you're talking about. Challenge mode is for three things: learning a character's basic moveset, learning obtuse combos that you won't actually be using in a real fight and, with it, getting a better feel for a character's combo routes for proper hit confirms.

Obviously, one should do Lesson Mode before anything, but for problems concerning attack and movement input mistakes, the most efficient way to improve would be to spend hours in training mode, doing moves that are hard to pull off over and over again until it becomes muscle memory.

Mdesilva

Thanks for the support. My first major hurdle is to actually get use to my fightstick. I bought it a few years ago and never really used it. Now I want my $200 fightstick to not have been a huge waste of money. I seem to keep having problems getting the moves I want to come out. Main issue right now is cancelling into skill attacks from regular moves, quick SP Skill attack motions in the middle of combos, and air dashes. All should be solved with a few weeks practice in Challenges Mode, right?
Yeah, just know that while those are decent for learning inputs/timing they usually aren't the best/most optimal combos. It's an okay training tool, just know what to use it for.

Also, do you know what numpad notation is? Just in case you go looking for combos at any point, I'd be sure to know what it is. (Don't worry about reading this whole page, and if you already know about this, even better). http://www.dustloop.com/wiki/index.php?title=Notation

Actually, I was wrong since I believe I misread what you meant. You meant strictly seeing them talk to members outside of the IT, right? P4G has some more of that, but not a lot compared to P4. Sorry.
Yeah that's what I was talking about. No worries, should have communicated myself better. Still need to see a P4G playthrough, since now (I think?) you can meet up with Social Links in Evening, so there must be some good interactions.

FluxWaveZ

The main problems I have with fighting games are quarter circles. I guess I'll never be good at fighting games...

You might not be doing that here, but a lot of people tend to underestimate the "time investment" part when it comes to getting used to fighting games, at least on a basic level. One needs to literally spend hours straight in training mode repeating things over and over if they're still having input mistakes that should be easy to pull off.

Not really, for what you're talking about. Challenge mode is for three things: learning a character's basic moveset, learning obtuse combos that you won't actually be using in a real fight and, with it, getting a better feel for a character's combo routes for proper hit confirms.

Obviously, one should do Lesson Mode before anything, but for problems concerning attack and movement input mistakes, the most efficient way to improve would be to spend hours in training mode, doing moves that are hard to pull off over and over again until it becomes muscle memory.

Well honestly not the best way to learn, but I mostly learned how to play from getting my teeth kicked in on ranked matches lol. Arena is the first fighter that I've ever taken seriously, and I feel that all those losses helped me improve. If I could do it over again, I would just stick with training though, since my Yosuke W/L online is now pretty bad.

FluxWaveZ

Well honestly not the best way to learn, but I mostly learned how to play from getting my teeth kicked in on ranked matches lol. Arena is the first fighter that I've ever taken seriously, and I feel that all those losses helped me improve. If I could do it over again, I would just stick with training though, since my Yosuke W/L online is now pretty bad.

That's how I learned. P4A was also the first fighting game I tried to learn seriously, so I spent a ton of time doing everything I could in that game to improve, starting with intentionally facing better players than I and getting destroyed, because I found just going into the stale environment that is Training Mode to be boring. It's not a useful process for everyone, but I tend to take away a lot from my losses and take analyzing what I did that worked and what I did that didn't and why, very seriously.

W/L rate is useless for me. If I had let that be an impediment to my improvement in the game, I'd be nowhere close to how I am now (though I guess I was lucky by perhaps having an inclination towards FGs, as it never got under 50%).

All the effort and time that I spent trying to improve paid off in the end, though, and I'm glad for it. Can't wait for Ultimax to come out and have a surge of players to fight against online.

Game ended in March but jumped from like November to March.
I decided not to kill Namatame. I can't believe that i was supposed to kill him.

My only maxed social links were Chie, Yukiko, Rise, Yumi, and the nurse. Maybe I should have maxed Yosuke and Kanji.

lol
You still have almost a third of the game ahead of you.
It's really weird how so many people actually believe that the game ends there.

Mdesilva

It took me a year, but I feel like I can play P4A somewhat competently, at least. I know what I'm doing, even though I make a lot of bad decisions. Ultimax is going to be interesting as I'll have a good idea of how to play from the get-go.

Awesome. Thank. I'll go back to it. Again game has been amazing in every way except difficulty. Would really have been bizarre if this was it. But I've also managed to be completely spoiler free until this point.

Difficulty? In P4G? You mean to say that it's super easy, right?

LX_Theo

Banned
lol
You still have almost a third of the game ahead of you.
It's really weird how so many people actually believe that the game ends there.

I got the same ending initially, and was like... No way that's the ending. Went online, figured it out, spoiled myself on one or two things by mistake.

Xenoflare

I still cannot figure out how to charge Mitsuru in P4A, I don't think I ever pulled a Bufula. If I did it would probably be a stroke of luck.

I only play Elizabeth and managed to actually win some matches, but I played less than 20 matches since release.

I dunno, I can manage Elizabeth's arcade on Hell CPU without pausing or losing, but the CPU is kinda of dumb. Score attack just grants them an unfair advantage.

Thankfully, unlike normally, she's available every single day when things open again, so he'll be able to catch up pretty easily. Just, yeah, do that first. :)

Maxing her isn't enough though, you also need to talk to someone on a specific day.

I got the same ending initially, and was like... No way that's the ending. Went online, figured it out, spoiled myself on one or two things by mistake.

I fortunately managed to avoid spoilers.
The normal ending got me good though, when I read about the true ending I was like "wut?!". Sure there were some lose threads but I figured they were just unresolved, it didn't seem like I had missed something that could trigger new events beyond that point. Did anyone here actually try the Junes elevator 3 times without having any idea?

Nachos

There's a Persona fanfic generator

There is a Persona fanfic generator

Persona. fanfic. generator.

GO HERE for total nonsense.

Guys, guys. What if we had a fanfic contest, using a base idea generated by this, and each tried to make the most godawful slop we could possibly cobble together? It'd make the wait until more Persona news go a little less slowly.

Also:
Lisa Ginko Silverman living in a garbage can with Yukari Takeba while in the Jolly Roger. The theme of the fic is: morally

Caladrius

7837b18d27.png

Perfect. How appropriate.

2spooky

Guys, guys. What if we had a fanfic contest, using a base idea generated by this, and each tried to make the most godawful slop we could possibly cobble together? It'd make the wait until more Persona news go a little less slowly.

Also:
Lisa Ginko Silverman living in a garbage can with Yukari Takeba while in the Jolly Roger. The theme of the fic is: morally

It'd really just turn into a contest of depravity.

Best shows EVER whilst growing up

Rugrats
Doug
Kenan and Kel
Power rangers
Pokemon
Dragonball z
Sailor moon
Are you afraid of the dark
Hey Arnold
Monster Rancher
Sister Sister
Rocko's modern life
Real monsters
Teenage mutant ninja turtles
Xmen original series
Tenchi muyo
Save by the bell
Simpsons

And Every ANIMATED DISNEY MOVIE.

Yeah, im hoping this list doesn't make me seem like an old geezer lol. Can any of you relate to these shows?

Rugrats
Doug
Kenan and Kel
Power rangers
Pokemon
Dragonball z
Sailor moon
Hey Arnold
Monster Rancher
Sister Sister
Rocko's modern life
Real monsters
Xmen original series
Tenchi muyo
Save by the bell
Simpsons

Yeah, im hoping this list doesn't make me seem like an old geezer lol. Can any of you relate to these shows?

almost all of them and I assure you most of the people in PersonaGAF are the age where they saw these as a kid

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening

Rugrats
Doug
Kenan and Kel
Power rangers
Pokemon
Dragonball z
Sailor moon
Hey Arnold
Monster Rancher
Sister Sister
Rocko's modern life
Real monsters
Xmen original series
Tenchi muyo
Save by the bell
Simpsons

Forgot Dexter's lab, Hey Arnold, In Living Color, Yo MTV Raps, Courage, WCW Nitro, WWF Raw. etc

Top Bottom