• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PES 2015 - Pro Evolution Soccer |OT| The cycle is dead - Long live the King

NHale

I remember back in the day when PES atleast competed with Fifa in terms of Sales. Critically it was acclaimed as the best game, sales wise Fifa was usually ahead (because it came out on every platform going).

If PES can get back and compete, it can only be a good thing for Football/Soccer games.

PES used to dominate FIFA in sales too but not on the degree that FIFA now dominates. The shift started to happen with FIFA 09 and it only increased with time.

Thes biggest hurdles Konami have in their hands is the licenses for leagues and teams and people's love for Ultimate Team. I would like to believe gameplay is always king but that's not the case.

Dazzyman

For me Fifa has gone backwards and thankfully PES has become good again. I hope they don't mess with the physics anymore and just concentrate on yearly update teams and gfx as once again they have found the sweet spot and be a shame for too much tinkering. Online could always be improved tho.

Btw there's a 1.13gb patch out for PS4 version, just noticed it in background now.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I am constantly stuck on "Checking connection status", or rather it loops back there in every online mode. If I am creating a lobby, I get the message that the game creation has failed.

Do I need to open some ports or is that just because of me playing the US version and the game trying to pair me with non-US players?

shoplifter

AbandonedTrolley said:
Anyone else got this on the PS4 and having the frame rate tanking quite often? Uploaded a couple of clips, sometimes it was so bad I didn't know what button I had pressed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pv_i-M4Sg2o

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRm3DuPhNVI

It's happening because we both play as Spurs.

Seriously though, it's something to do with how the game is trying to get data from the network. If you turn off networking (either myPES login from with the game options or your PS4 networking) the problem will disappear. Several of us in the thread have pointed it out, and apparently the devs are looking into it. What I haven't heard is

Dazzyman - are you talking about a day one patch or is this a *second* patch? Not sure where you're located, but there was a day one patch that US/CAN got on Tuesday.

It's happening because we both play as Spurs.

Seriously though, it's something to do with how the game is trying to get data from the network. If you turn off networking (either myPES login from with the game options or your PS4 networking) the problem will disappear.

Dazzyman - are you talking about a day one patch or is this a *second* patch? Not sure where you're located, but there was a day one patch that US/CAN got on Tuesday.

I figured it might be something like that when they got a penalty and it came up with a loading/buffering icon! Will have to disconnect and see how it goes, thanks for the heads up.

FootballFan

I hope so. And after FIFA15 even shat on hardcore fans, the chance is there of course, but honestly, I excpect something like this :/
tumblr_mb6nq8wAk91ri0219o1_500.jpg

Do not generalize here. We have several reports of stuttering and Konami is aware of this, it was tweeted to them by different people and I guess they are looking into it. Wonder how this turn out when EU servers go up.

People were picking between messi on the cover or ronaldo. Easy choice.

Won't happen again.

Turned it on and went straight to My Club to try it out. Went through the tutorial and beat an easy CPU team. Then I tried a second CPU team and it was awful. They scored once in the first 20 minutes and the rest of the game they hung around in their end playing keep-away. It was maddening. Couldn't get near the ball. Their possession must have been at over 90% by the end.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Turned it on and went straight to My Club to try it out. Went through the tutorial and beat an easy CPU team. Then I tried a second CPU team and it was awful. They scored once in the first 20 minutes and the rest of the game they hung around in their end playing keep-away. It was maddening. Couldn't get near the ball. Their possession must have been at over 90% by the end.

The AI is actually pretty fun to play on my end so far, but I can't get online to work. No clue whether its a connection issue or my US account being shitty at making others play with me. :(

I'm impressed by the ai

It can be hard to play against in how well it keeps the ball but so far I've not had any bullshit where it suddenly gets 100% better and scores a goal out of nowhere. most of the goals i've conceded were lapses in concentration

spwolf

PES used to dominate FIFA in sales too but not on the degree that FIFA now dominates. The shift started to happen with FIFA 09 and it only increased with time.

Thes biggest hurdles Konami have in their hands is the licenses for leagues and teams and people's love for Ultimate Team. I would like to believe gameplay is always king but that's not the case.

btw, PES still sold 6.5m last year... so still not bad... this year could do better.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
btw, PES still sold 6.5m last year... so still not bad... this year could do better.

They honestly need to repeat what happened on the PS2 -- just build momentum every year in terms of being higher quality than FIFA. I actually think that's even easier nowadays with everyone being so plugged in to critical coverage, on forums, etc. They'll obviously never beat FIFA, but if we return to the PS2 days where they compete and make a way better product, that would make me very happy.

spwolf

They honestly need to repeat what happened on the PS2 -- just build momentum every year in terms of being higher quality than FIFA. I actually think that's even easier nowadays with everyone being so plugged in to critical coverage, on forums, etc. They'll obviously never beat FIFA, but if we return to the PS2 days where they compete and make a way better product, that would make me very happy.

main problem for PES in past 7-8 years was that instead of building on previous version, they always changed the gameplay... PES16 needs to add features to already existing PES15, and not completely change the game.

So foundation right now seems pretty good, add bunch of stuff to 16 but dont drastically change the gameplay ever again.

ruttyboy

Perhaps an odd question, but what is Ultimate Team (and presumably whatever the PES equivalent is)?

I've heard about it in the background but never paid attention. The last gen I've only played FIFA/PES round my friend's house in co-op, however the PES demo impressed me enough to get a copy for myself so I'm wondering if I'd be interested in it, but I have no idea what it involves.

jts

...hate me...
Perhaps an odd question, but what is Ultimate Team (and presumably whatever the PES equivalent is)?

I've heard about it in the background but never paid attention. The last gen I've only played FIFA/PES round my friend's house in co-op, however the PES demo impressed me enough to get a copy for myself so I'm wondering if I'd be interested in it, but I have no idea what it involves.
You manage/play your own fantasy team of sorts. Imagine you can get Ronaldo and Messi and others on your team and play it online.

Of course, you can't just choose your players a la carte, availability is somewhat limited and there's also a random element to it. If you want a good team and quick - pay up. Microstransactions ahoy.

ruttyboy

You manage/play your own fantasy team of sorts. Imagine you can get Ronaldo and Messi and others on your team and play it online.

Of course, you can't just choose your players a la carte, availability is somewhat limited and there's also a random element to it. If you want a good team and quick - pay up. Microstransactions ahoy.

Thanks, but when you say 'play' do you mean as if you were playing a normal multi player game online, or is it more like Football Manager in that you select your team and then you watch them play?

jts

...hate me...
Thanks, but when you say 'play' do you mean as if you were playing a normal multi player game online, or is it more like Football Manager in that you select your team and then you watch them play?

No, you really play with your team. I said online in the previous post but you also can play it offline (at least in FIFA).

ruttyboy

No, you really play with your team. I said online in the previous post but you also can play it offline (at least in FIFA).

Ah OK, thanks. Might check it out, but if the microtransactions start to make me wretch I'll drop it.

Bumhead

Banned
Welp, finally finished the editing I wanted to do. Premiership and Championship team names, kits, rivalries, banners, stadiums all "fixed".

I feel like if I ever hear those Bastille or Wilkinson songs ever again before I die then I will go psychotic.

Time for some Master League.

would love to hear online impressions from those that have the game

I just had an incredible match against real madrid.

I did not notice any lag and old trafford field looks pretty amazing in the day time.

Down 2-0 came back and tied at 2-2.

in the 92nd minute so close to scoring!! This is pretty amazing

Delt31

Head onto online

Enter Match

Press pause to change camera angles

Realizes the game restricts customizing camera angles, forcing default only

Ejects Game

Sells game on ebay

Unbelievable that a game released in 2014 can't get this right. This could be the greatest game of soccer ever however if I can't play it in a view that suits me, it's a waste. fucking Konami. wtf.

T-Rex.

Banned
It keeps making me play the super cup match, wtf. I can't access the main menu. Halp.

Wait, the game's not fully download that's why. My bad mates.

It keeps making me play the super cup match, wtf. I can't access the main menu. Halp.

Same here. I'm trying to download it again. I somehow got to downloads of the game before.

edit: Mine was fully downloaded.

Toma

Same here. I'm trying to download it again. I somehow got to downloads of the game before.

edit: Mine was fully downloaded.

It likely wasnt fully downloaded as it dl's in the background. Check the game icon, options and then Information.

Iorv3th

Just finished playing a few matches of champions league and wow. The matches are so much more intense and close than fifa. Not easy to cheese the game and rack up a high score. Most matches are 1-2 goal differences or even draws.

It likely wasnt fully downloaded as it dl's in the background. Check the game icon, options and then Information.

Nope. Downloaded it again. Still the same stupid shit with two versions of the game (one is like 21 gigs and the other 20 gigs) and it won't let me play.

edit: Uh, wait. Two versions and it says they've download like 6-7 gigs on each version. Why does it show up in the menus like it's downloaded? Some kind of bug?

Seems to be a problem everyone is having. Currently talking with the team how to best communicate this to fans.

TL;DR, if you bought it digitally and you have very limited access to the game (2 teams, 1 league), then your game hasn't finished completely downloading, it's only finished downloading to the point of being playable.

Toma

Anyone else with a US account not being able to play any online matches?

edit: Uh, wait. Two versions and it says they've download like 6-7 gigs on each version. Why does it show up in the menus like it's downloaded? Some kind of bug?

It's a PS4 thing. I had the same confusion when I played the baseball game, as it wasn't clear at all why the game was gimped despite the download saying 'complete'. It does this sneaky download in the background and hides it from you. So weird.

I tried to share play with a friend (French account), it didn't work. Too bad.

unless it performs like shit over shareplay or something it makes zero sense for konami to block it, especially for a series that is trying to win over people who previously deserted it.

alterno69

Banned
I'm really happy with how the game performs online.
I've played about 10 matches with friends in Mexico(same country i'm at) and strangers i assume in the US and it ran really smooth.

Besides the online menu being kinda confusing and archaic the game runs great.

Sold Fifa two days ago, if PES builds on this foundation next year i don't see how Fifa could win me back.

Winning Eleven is back.

tanuki

Gotta say the game looks like total ass. This wouldn't have even passed for acceptable last gen, let alone this one. Not sure what's up with the colour saturation in this game, everything is eye-bleedingly strong. The animation is decent, and that's about it. FIFA isn't even that impressive visually either, but it's leagues ahead of this.

Luckily the game plays so beautifully, at least in offline (haven't tried online). Stringing moves together, building up play, it's wonderful. I just hope the online is stable and there's no stupid OP dribbling like FIFA 15.

It really feels like a PS2 throwback for both FIFA and PES. Pretty amazing turnaround for both titles.

spwolf

I just had an incredible match against real madrid.

I did not notice any lag and old trafford field looks pretty amazing in the day time.

Down 2-0 came back and tied at 2-2.

in the 92nd minute so close to scoring!! This is pretty amazing

well, thats good to hear... they always had issues with online...

alterno69

Banned
Gotta say the game looks like total ass. This wouldn't have even passed for acceptable last gen, let alone this one. Not sure what's up with the colour saturation in this game, everything is eye-bleedingly strong. The animation is decent, and that's about it. FIFA isn't even that impressive visually either, but it's leagues ahead of this.

Luckily the game plays so beautifully, at least in offline (haven't tried online). Stringing moves together, building up play, it's wonderful. I just hope the online is stable and there's no stupid OP dribbling like FIFA 15.

It really feels like a PS2 throwback for both FIFA and PES. Pretty amazing turnaround for both titles.
I think this looks better than Fifa, mind you. It feels smoother and the daytime matches look way more realistic than Fifa, replays are also much better than Fifas.

tanuki

I think this looks better than Fifa, mind you. It feels smoother and the daytime matches look way more realistic than Fifa, replays are also much better than Fifas.

Daytime looks good, night time not so much though.

Replays are definitely better, although still occasionally shown from ridiculous angles. How hard is it to program the camera to show the goal from a decent angle? FIFA also never shows enough of the build-up play... well I guess most of the time there isn't any. :p

Anyway, it doesn't matter too much, the game is so fun to play and that's what always counted the most.

feel

Why is this thread dead? Decent video-game football is finally back.

Been playing random exhibition matches for hours past myregular bed time, it's sooo damn good.

KainXVIII

Judging from system requirements of PES 2015 on pc its clearly lastgen version :(

RECOMMENDED:
Processor: Intel Core i3 530 (AMD Phenom Ⅱ X4 925 or equivalent processor)
Memory: 2 GB RAM
Graphics: nVidia GeForce 7950 / ATI Radeon HD 2400 / Intel HD Graphics 3000 or better
DirectX: Version 9.0c
Hard Drive: 8 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c Compatible sound card

Top Bottom