• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantasy Star Online 2 Import |OT3| PS4 ways to play

I bought a PS4 last week and just downloaded it today. I do live in Japan but my primary game account is my Canadian one. I guess I'll find out if I can play it on that account.
You aren't able to do things like buy PSN DLC, but I don't think there's anything unique to PSN right now. It'll also require you to go with the retail version of the game if you ever want to use the Vita version. Once you tie a PSN account with a Sega ID, you can't change the association, so whatever PSN account you choose will be the one you use forever.

Scirrocco

So use the English patches for the Japanese version? No VPN shenanigans involved and the Asian localization is of questionable quality anyway.

Wait, so does that mean you don't need to use a proxy to get on the jp servers anymore? Or are Vpns different from proxies? Sorry I've been gone a while.

Wait, so does that mean you don't need to use a proxy to get on the jp servers anymore? Or are Vpns different from proxies? Sorry I've been gone a while.

For most of the world that hasn't been a concern for well over a year. Only SEA regions, and China, are blocked, and the routing issues caused by the DDoS mitigation has long been resolved. If you can view the player's site, you can connect to the servers: http://pso2.jp/players

Scirrocco

For most of the world that hasn't been a concern for well over a year. Only SEA regions, and China, are blocked, and the routing issues caused by the DDoS mitigation has long been resolved. If you can view the player's site, you can connect to the servers: http://pso2.jp/players

That's strange, I tried it last summ,ear and couldn't get on without a proxy. Must have been my internet provider I guess.

That's strange, I tried it last summ,ear and couldn't get on without a proxy. Must have been my internet provider I guess.

Last summer would have been around the time there were still blocks going on due to the DDOS. Thats no longer a problem for the majority of people.

Psyfer

A few days ago, I made a Bo/Hu character that uses Jet Boots. I've run into a problem though. I'm level 33/25 and I'm still pretty far from a weapon upgrade, T-Atk wise.

Is this something I should worry about going forward, or will it take care of itself? I've already got my mag to 50 S-Atk, so no going back there. I don't have a way to get another mag, and I'm not even sure if the mag boost counts towards the required stats for weapons.

A few days ago, I made a Bo/Hu character that uses Jet Boots. I've run into a problem though. I'm level 33/25 and I'm still pretty far from a weapon upgrade, T-Atk wise.

Is this something I should worry about going forward, or will it take care of itself? I've already got my mag to 50 S-Atk, so no going back there. I don't have a way to get another mag, and I'm not even sure if the mag boost counts towards the required stats for weapons.

It would depend on the particular weapon - there are definitely a few weapons that are impossible to equip without the mag's assistance.

Additional mags can be purchased via AC (it's actually cheaper than resetting an existing mag). It is also possible to use excubes to de-level a mag stat, but 50 levels worth would be very, very expensive.

Mag stats contribute directly to your stats. If you want to pump up your T-atk some then maxing out BO tree's tech up skill will give you a good boost. Along with that, depending on your race/gender, you should be able to equip just about every jetboot at level cap. Until then your best course of action would be finding a jetboot with a good latent and using that. If you have the Photon Boosters for it, I would recommend getting the Red Jet Boots (赤のジェットブーツ), grinding it, unlocking its latent (only need level 1) and crafting it to as high a level as you can. It will make for a solid weapon that will last you for a good while.

Aside from that, what is your Mag's stats? Having a plan can save some headaches later on.

Psyfer

Mag stats contribute directly to your stats. If you want to pump up your T-atk some then maxing out BO tree's tech up skill will give you a good boost. Along with that, depending on your race/gender, you should be able to equip just about every jetboot at level cap. Until then your best course of action would be finding a jetboot with a good latent and using that. If you have the Photon Boosters for it, I would recommend getting the Red Jet Boots (赤のジェットブーツ), grinding it, unlocking its latent (only need level 1) and crafting it to as high a level as you can. It will make for a solid weapon that will last you for a good while.

Aside from that, what is your Mag's stats? Having a plan can save some headaches later on.

My mag is pure S-Atk. By latent, you mean potential? What would be a good one too look out for? The Jet Boots I have now are some +15 NT weapon, and the potential came out as Healing Wind, which is kind of useless imo. I haven't even started messing with crafting, I guess I should get a guide and get started on that. I don't know what Photon Boosters are either. I likely have some in storage, because I've played on and off since the early days of the English patch.

Edit: I should mention, I'm not really having trouble killing things. Bosses take a bit of time, but regular enemies go down pretty quick as long as I am abusing their elemental weakness. I just don't want to hit a wall in the future.

My mag is pure S-Atk. By latent, you mean potential? What would be a good one too look out for? The Jet Boots I have now are some +15 NT weapon, and the potential came out as Healing Wind, which is kind of useless imo. I haven't even started messing with crafting, I guess I should get a guide and get started on that. I don't know what Photon Boosters are either. I likely have some in storage, because I've played on and off since the early days of the English patch.

Edit: I should mention, I'm not really having trouble killing things. Bosses take a bit of time, but regular enemies go down pretty quick as long as I am abusing their elemental weakness. I just don't want to hit a wall in the future.

Yeah Latent or potential. The ones you want to be on the look out for are ones that increase your damage. Usually JA boosts or straight damage boosts. Photon Boosters are basically the 4th tier of the Photon Drops. They're gotten through Challenge Mode shop and a few other ways.
Stat wise you shouldn't hit any walls. By 75/75 you ought to be able to equip everything.

Psyfer

Yeah Latent or potential. The ones you want to be on the look out for are ones that increase your damage. Usually JA boosts or straight damage boosts. Photon Boosters are basically the 4th tier of the Photon Drops. They're gotten through Challenge Mode shop and a few other ways.
Stat wise you shouldn't hit any walls. By 75/75 you ought to be able to equip everything.

That's a relief. Thanks for the help :)

ezodagrom

http://www.bumped.org/psublog/regarding-use-of-third-party-analytic-tools/
http://pso2.jp/players/news/?id=9224

Seems Sega doesn't like use of what is presumed to be the damage parser and has now threatened bans against players who use third party data tracking tools. Tweaker has responded by setting it to do a one-time deletion of the parser to protect unaware players.
It's a bummer that they're doing that, used the tool some times, not only out of curiosity about how well or badly I was doing on mpas, but also for the sake of self improvement...
Ah well...

Malyse

I wish there was an English patch for the Vita game. This could have been its killer app; MMOs on handheld with a touchscreen is pretty ace.

Also wish Nova came West.

Here's a question for the thread: are there any weapons from PSP2i that you would like to see implemented in PSO2? I rather miss my whip...

----

And beast characters.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I'm having a hard time telling if a bunch of the game is just untranslated or if I've used the pso2 tweaker wrong. I got the menus and items to work, but now all the rest of the text is in Japanese and it wasn't before. And I'm new so it keeps popping up windows and telling me stuff to do but I can't understand a word of it.

Also I'm fucking lost, since I did the first tutorial mission and some anime girl gave me a story board, and then I had to leave and when it came back it dumped me into what I guess is the main lobby area and I can't find a goddamn thing

How do you guys do it?

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I'm having a hard time telling if a bunch of the game is just untranslated or if I've used the pso2 tweaker wrong. I got the menus and items to work, but now all the rest of the text is in Japanese and it wasn't before. And I'm new so it keeps popping up windows and telling me stuff to do but I can't understand a word of it.

Also I'm fucking lost, since I did the first tutorial mission and some anime girl gave me a story board, and then I had to leave and when it came back it dumped me into what I guess is the main lobby area and I can't find a goddamn thing

How do you guys do it?

Menus, NPCs, missions, items and other essentials should all be translating. If I remember right, there was a technical reason for the tutorials not being translated? Something along the lines of the files for tutorials being images rather than text, which they opted to leave alone since most mechanics are pretty easy to figure out on your own.

You may have to check the tweaker plugins to make sure you're running the item translation plugin. A few friends who started playing a few months ago didn't have theirs enabled by default, which caused some confusion.

lupinko

You aren't able to do things like buy PSN DLC, but I don't think there's anything unique to PSN right now. It'll also require you to go with the retail version of the game if you ever want to use the Vita version. Once you tie a PSN account with a Sega ID, you can't change the association, so whatever PSN account you choose will be the one you use forever.

Ah gotcha, I'll use my Japanese account then.

Edit: or use both.

Malyse

How do you guys do it?

Did you install the patch and the large files? There's like three things to install.

That neing said, my items are deffo not translated.

How do you guys do it?

All gameplay essential things are translated. The only things that aren't are npc dialogue, some tutorial message stuff, Story mission dialogue and a few other minor things that can't be translated due to how they work or would take a lot more time than the small team has, like npc dialogue.

Once you've started theres a few things to do. In the main lobby, there'll be an NPC named Koffie behind the quest counter, she is the most important NPC and is in charge of unlocking quests. Do all her quests. The way she works is simple. You do the first Arks Quest category quest of an area, this unlocks another arks quest in the same area and a client order from Koffie. Do Koffie's client order to unlock the Free Field version of that area and another client order from Koffie to unlock the next area. You do this until you've unlocked everything you can. Along the way Koffie will have other client orders for unlocking more things, you will want to do every single one of her client orders.

Other NPCs in the lobby have client orders of varying importance. Of note, the class tutor NPCs will have client orders that give you skill points at certain points. As you do more of an NPC's orders, more unlock. Unlocking higher difficulties will also unlock more client orders.

The story board is Ep4's story mode system. You watch cutscenes, do a mission or 2, and get some rewards along the way. If you switch to Ep1-3 story when you're in character select you'll get he matter board which is a bit more involved, requiring you to go hunt specific enemies or see cutscenes in specific areas, but is otherwise similar.

Personally i'd recommend going through Ep1-3's story even if you can't understand it. It's some of the only authored content in the game and can be a lot of fun to play through, even if it doesn't really pick up until halfway through Ep1. The overall beats of Ep1-3's story is also pretty easy to follow as the voice acting and cutscene direction will basically let you intuit the gist of whats going on (this coming from someone who knows 0 Japanese)

I wrote a bunch of tips in the OP, check it out if you haven't.

ShinMaruku

It's a bummer that they're doing that, used the tool some times, not only out of curiosity about how well or badly I was doing on mpas, but also for the sake of self improvement...
Ah well...
The tool is all well and good but some people don't need a tool. But there should be things to show how you can improve in the game but I don't trust Sega to do it

http://www.bumped.org/psublog/regarding-use-of-third-party-analytic-tools/
http://pso2.jp/players/news/?id=9224

Seems Sega doesn't like use of what is presumed to be the damage parser and has now threatened bans against players who use third party data tracking tools. Tweaker has responded by setting it to do a one-time deletion of the parser to protect unaware players.
This is to be expected. Firstly because Sega is paranoid and a tool like that can be misued by the wrong people. There was always a reason why some developers never wanted that tool because the NA online community of some games are utter shit and you don't give those people tools.

ezodagrom

The tool is all well and good but some people don't need a tool. But there should be things to show how you can improve in the game but I don't trust Sega to do it
I meant more that it felt like encouragement for self-improvement. And also, the game is already very little engaging as it is, having access to that data made things a bit more fresh, I guess.

Htown

stuck again

trying to follow the tutorial path, and I've unlocked a few areas, but now it's asking me to complete a client order to attribute grind a weapon, and I can't figure out how to do it

I can tell that it says it doesn't work on NT weapons, and I think I've gotten my hands on maybe one weapon that doesn't say "NT" at the end.

Also I was going to try to go back to episodes 1-3 as suggested, but I can't figure out how to do that either. Is this something that unlocks later? I'm already like level 23

ShinMaruku

You can get OT items too but in general the NT grinding is so much better. But you can still get the OT weapons from drops.

Htown

so I guess I just have to do other stuff and wait until I can progress the tutorial?

okay, I suppose

Htown

haha

okay, so I guess I should have gone a bit further in the story board to progress things a bit

and now I'm sort of sorry I did

what the FUCK did I just watch?

some kind of shit where in-game my character jumps out of PSO2 and goes to save some teenage girl in the real world from some monsters and her male avatar just shows up in her bed naked and my tech girl or whatever says it's totally cool if we peek in on this teenage girl's bedroom because it's for intelligence gathering or some shit, and if we see anything don't worry it's just between us

literally the worst possible iteration of stupid anime bullshit came out of nowhere, and it's totally putting me off of this whole enterprise

haha

okay, so I guess I should have gone a bit further in the story board to progress things a bit

and now I'm sort of sorry I did

what the FUCK did I just watch?

some kind of shit where in-game my character jumps out of PSO2 and goes to save some teenage girl in the real world from some monsters and her male avatar just shows up in her bed naked and my tech girl or whatever says it's totally cool if we peek in on this teenage girl's bedroom because it's for intelligence gathering or some shit, and if we see anything don't worry it's just between us

literally the worst possible iteration of stupid anime bullshit came out of nowhere, and it's totally putting me off of this whole enterprise

Episode 4's story is a complete mess of anime bullshit. After the first mission the story becomes your character and your robotgirl friend spying on the Earth people in what can only be described as your character watching a trashy slice of life anime.
Theres even a bathing scene complete with creeping on Al because fuck it.
I'd recommend not doing the Episode 4 story mode and just doing Episodes 1-3 first. There aren't any particularly noteworthy rewards in the Ep4 story board yet, where as Ep1-3 will give you alot more loot. Also Ep1-3 doesn't have the cringey Earth stuff going on.

Malyse

Episode 4's story is a complete mess of anime bullshit. After the first mission the story becomes your character and your robotgirl friend spying on the Earth people in what can only be described as your character watching a trashy slice of life anime.
Theres even a bathing scene complete with creeping on Al because fuck it.
I'd recommend not doing the Episode 4 story mode and just doing Episodes 1-3 first. There aren't any particularly noteworthy rewards in the Ep4 story board yet, where as Ep1-3 will give you alot more loot. Also Ep1-3 doesn't have the cringey Earth stuff going on.
But you want that subclass before you drop out.

Playing this and loving it so far (skipping all the dialogue cut-scenes). I fought a giant battle ship in a mech and got a ton of loot yesterday.

My biggest gripe would be having to constantly go through the menus to see client order progress. Is there a way to get some kind of quest tracker or something that just shows all client order objectives in a simple list on the UI?

Similarly, is it possible to move around the various UI elements? I would really like to get the highlighted item description out of the upper left corner.

Playing this and loving it so far (skipping all the dialogue cut-scenes). I fought a giant battle ship in a mech and got a ton of loot yesterday.

My biggest gripe would be having to constantly go through the menus to see client order progress. Is there a way to get some kind of quest tracker or something that just shows all client order objectives in a simple list on the UI?

Similarly, is it possible to move around the various UI elements? I would really like to get the highlighted item description out of the upper left corner.

Nah, there's no client order quest tracker type thing. The best you get is the text chat telling you progress when you pick things up.
You can move the various menus around by clicking on the top bar of them and dragging them around. You can also do this to change the size of some menus too.

Wow always wanted to play this game but never thought it was that easy to get it to run

As a vita player I noticed different versions. Like standard or deluxe episode 3 and 4. Is ok to order the standard or are the other versions expansions? Or just versions with additional equipments? Can import the standard for 20 pounds from amazon Will go for that If so

With a physical vita edition, and being able to connect to pso2.jp I guess I should be fine with a eu psn account. Do I need to register some sega account?

I Will be so lost with the language but Will just take it easy and enjoy my time

Wow always wanted to play this game but never thought it was that easy to get it to run

As a vita player I noticed different versions. Like standard or deluxe episode 3 and 4. Is ok to order the standard or are the other versions expansions? Or just versions with additional equipments? Can import the standard for 20 pounds from amazon Will go for that If so

With a physical vita edition, and being able to connect to pso2.jp I guess I should be fine with a eu psn account. Do I need to register some sega account?

I Will be so lost with the language but Will just take it easy and enjoy my time

The different editions just start at lower versions that you will have to patch up. The different versions also come with different bonus item codes. Mostly just some cosmetics and common consumable boosters. Nothing too important really.

The different editions just start at lower versions that you will have to patch up. The different versions also come with different bonus item codes. Mostly just some cosmetics and common consumable boosters. Nothing too important really.
Pretty sure every Vita card is identical.

Nah, there's no client order quest tracker type thing. The best you get is the text chat telling you progress when you pick things up.
You can move the various menus around by clicking on the top bar of them and dragging them around. You can also do this to change the size of some menus too.

Dang, thanks. How about the window in the upper left corner that shows you info about what your currently have targeted? The one in the screenshot below (not mine) that says

Gizonde (Lv. 2)
Pick up using [E] key

Item_1.jpg

Dang, thanks. How about the window in the upper left corner that shows you info about what your currently have targeted? The one in the screenshot below (not mine) that says

Gizonde (Lv. 2)
Pick up using [E] key

I'm pretty sure that can't be moved.

Pretty sure every Vita card is identical.

Ok. I don't actually know if each successive iteration of the vita cards are different. But I sure hope they are.

The recap of the most recent livestream is on bumped.

Any impressions from people actively playing?

It's nothing especially surprising. More things to do with StarGems to slowly increase their importance, which could probably become a problem later on. Expanding the Rankings system is cool, though i'd like to know more about it. Amusingly enough the high-end metagame players have gotten faster than the Ship 2 hacker/cheaters can play without just finishing TA's in 0:00 or outputting highly suspect times. New rings are cool but tying a visual indicator to when standing snipe is active to one is stupid. At the very least it'll help settle some arguments on what does/doesn't count as standing snipe.

But still nothing to fix the bigger problems the game has.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Agree about Star Gems. The system and all the ways it's being used annoys me, because it feels like even paying 1000+ yen a month for the premium pack isn't enough anymore if you want to enjoy all the features.

Maybe they should drop the premium pack completely and just promote the user to a premium status for a day/week/month after spending a certain amount if AC. That would be a fun experiment to see.

Scirrocco

So got installed okay and back playing all right. Everythings how i left it but I have two questions:

1) Whats the deal with new type weapons? how are they different from old? Theres an option to unlock the potential of rare old types, what exactly does that do?

2) one of the anniversary npc's has a quest to do Kuronite investigation. According to the wiki, thats unlocked by doing free explore shironia. But i've done that and it's still not unlocked. Are there any other requirements?

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
So got installed okay and back playing all right. Everythings how i left it but I have two questions:

1) Whats the deal with new type weapons? how are they different from old? Theres an option to unlock the potential of rare old types, what exactly does that do?

2) one of the anniversary npc's has a quest to do Kuronite investigation. According to the wiki, thats unlocked by doing free explore shironia. But i've done that and it's still not unlocked. Are there any other requirements?

With NT weapons, Sega has implemented a new grinding method that is meant to make grinding less stressful. Each grind has a 100% success rate, but instead of just adding a grinder and hoping Dudu doesn't mangle your weapon, you feed other weapons to that weapon to raise its EXP bar. When the bar fills, you get +1 added to the weapon. This is especially huge for 13* weapons, as they chewed up Lambda Grinders like candy with the heightened failure rates.

The downside to this is that each individual grind is less potent, as the weapons go up to +30 (higher with grind extending) rather than +10. Once you hit 10, 20 or 30, you're forced to unlock/upgrade the weapon's potential to continue. Old-type weapons would reset your grind to +0 after unlocking a potential, and thus, they have a separate entry in the shop because they function so differently.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
Hi, I just got into PSO Tweaker to play in english.

First problem, I tried using a gamepad as it has controller option and calibration. On both the right thumbstick won't work and seems like the left bumper is working as a thumbstick!? but once I press the bumper the camera won't stop moving. I tried searching answer elsewhere before and the only solution seems to be to download older driver, wich I don't feel like to do. I was looking for a definitive answer here from someone who had the same exact problem and solved it. The DS4 right thumbstick wil rotate the camera left and right but not only it ain't calibrated even after the calibration but I can't look up or down.

Second problem, after each pso2 session I come back to the desk as I log off, but sometime, the tweaker.exe icon won't comeback at all. It just erases itself and I have to download it again. So here we go, what the fuck?

Thanks in advance.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Hi, I just got into PSO Tweaker to play in english.

First problem, I tried using a gamepad as it has controller option and calibration. On both the right thumbstick won't work and seems like the left bumper is working as a thumbstick!? but once I press the bumper the camera won't stop moving. I tried searching answer elsewhere before and the only solution seems to be to download older driver, wich I don't feel like to do. I was looking for a definitive answer here from someone who had the same exact problem and solved it. The DS4 right thumbstick wil rotate the camera left and right but not only it ain't calibrated even after the calibration but I can't look up or down.

Second problem, after each pso2 session I come back to the desk as I log off, but sometime, the tweaker.exe icon won't comeback at all. It just erases itself and I have to download it again. So here we go, what the fuck?

Thanks in advance.
I'm using my ds4 with ds4windows in the "hide ds4" mode, maybe try that?

OMG Aero

Thanks in advance.
The Gameguard anti-cheat that Sega uses started specifically searching for the Tweaker while the game is running, so when you launch the game through the Tweaker a program called GN Field activates and renames the Tweaker file so Gameguard can't find it. When you close PSO2 GN Field is supposed to change the Tweaker back to normal but maybe that's not happening for some reason.
If you go to the folder where you have the Tweaker installed and run GN Field.exe that will search for a renamed version of the Tweaker and if there is one change it back to normal, so if that is the problem that should fix it but I'm not sure why it isn't doing that automatically.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
The Gameguard anti-cheat that Sega uses started specifically searching for the Tweaker while the game is running, so when you launch the game through the Tweaker a program called GN Field activates and renames the Tweaker file so Gameguard can't find it. When you close PSO2 GN Field is supposed to change the Tweaker back to normal but maybe that's not happening for some reason.
If you go to the folder where you have the Tweaker installed and run GN Field.exe that will search for a renamed version of the Tweaker and if there is one change it back to normal, so if that is the problem that should fix it but I'm not sure why it isn't doing that automatically.

great thank you

Top Bottom