• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Piracy in Broad Daylight 2: Electric Boogaloo

border

Okay, so I already discussed those multi-game NES emulators that get sold in malls across the country. And I guess it turns out that they are illegal, but Nintendo isn't doing much of anything about it. Now to take on a more disturbing and annoying mall phenomenon....

...Hot Topic. They sell all those old shirts with NES sprites on them that say some lamewad phrase like "Don't make me go Zelda on you" (HYUCK HYUCK!). Are any of those retro-videogame shirts actually licensed by Nintendo? I kinda doubt it. Is there any sort of copyright loophole (fair use? derivative works?) that would allow them to swipe someone else's art and use it on a shirt? And is there any reason why Nintendo isn't on their asses?

I don't care so much about the emu-games, but if The Horde could manage to get Hot Topic put out of business I'd be kind of grateful. Not only do the rest of their shirts seem to revolve around the theft of copyrighted works (basically just reprinting one-liners from the Simpsons and such), but I really don't think our youth needs any more black giganto pants with 28 pockets and 15 chains attached.

Haha, I actually have that Zelda one. My friends and I were quite amused by it, I'm sorry you can't see the humor in it. Poor deprived man. Were you beaten as a child?

I don't see how border draws the line between wearing Nintendo shirts and regularly attending anime conventions, which he does.

Color me confused.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
HalfPastNoon said:
I don't see how border draws the line between wearing Nintendo shirts and regularly attending anime conventions, which he does.

ZING!

Nester

Hot Topic has a ton of Nintendo Licensed stuff. Wallets, Steering Wheel Covers, Floor Mats, fuzzy dice.

Friend of mine completely decked his car out in Nintendo car gear from Hot Topic, spent way too much money on all of that.

border

I wouldn't say it worries me, just something I am curious about...
the merchandise from Hot Topic is Nintendo licensed
Are you sure? None of it really seems like their style....
Were you beaten as a child?
I was beaten up by other kids wearing videogame "humor" shirts and pants with dog leashes and buckles sewn onto the legs. It was pretty terrifying!
I go to like two cons a year, neither of which are anime-focused. I'm not really criticizing the inherent dorkiness of the shirts anyway.

explodet

border said:
I wouldn't say it worries me, just something I am curious about...

My guess is, the clothing company that licenses the logos and such are the creative force behind the merchandise, not anyone from Nintendo. I'm sure they've got eyes on them though, so that they don't release anything that would be considered morally objectionable.

border said:
I'm not really criticizing the inherent dorkiness of the shirts anyway.
But they are dorky, you won't get any argument from me.

*hides his 1-up boxer shorts*

border said:
I was beaten up by other kids wearing videogame "humor" shirts and pants with dog leashes and buckles sewn onto the legs. It was pretty terrifying!

Oh my! I certainly understand, you poor thing. The emotional scarring must be severe. Oh well, I forgive you, you can go on in peace, child :)

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
border said:
Yes. They are officially licensed products. You can tell because they have tags that say "Nintendo Officially Licensed Product" on them. :D

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
MetatronM said:
Yes. They are officially licensed products. You can tell because they have tags that say "Nintendo Officially Licensed Product" on them. :D

THAT'S WHAT THEY WANT YOU TO THINK

Meier

It's funny to see how many Japanese people I saw at E3 with the Hot Topic Nintendo gear. Also saw two Asian kids leaving a mall where one was located recently in the shirts and holding bags. Seems to go over well there.

aoi tsuki

border said:
Sarcasm? Hey now, don't make me go Zelda on you!
i laughed a little too much at that one.

Meier said:
It's funny to see how many Japanese people I saw at E3 with the Hot Topic Nintendo gear. Also saw two Asian kids leaving a mall where one was located recently in the shirts and holding bags. Seems to go over well there.
Think they'll understand the "humor" of a shirt that says "Don't make me go Zelda on you"? i recall seeing a Japanese family and the girl was wearing a shirt that said something like "No fuck. Don't my shit". i'm not saying the reverse doesn't happen here, there's far too many people getting tattoos and wearing clothes in Chinese/Japanese when they don't understand a lick of it.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Sax Russel said:
Haha, I actually have that Zelda one. My friends and I were quite amused by it, I'm sorry you can't see the humor in it. Poor deprived man. Were you beaten as a child?

what im wondering is... Well, if you were to go zelda on someone does that mean you would simply allow them to kidnap you?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Hey, I have that 'Don't make me go Zelda on you' T-Shirt. It kicks all kinds of dorky ass.

Zelda's pretty decent with the bow and arrows, however. She can totally bounce magical arrows off mirror shields directly into the path of evil wizards.

Meier

aoi tsuki said:
i laughed a little too much at that one.

Think they'll understand the "humor" of a shirt that says "Don't make me go Zelda on you"? i recall seeing a Japanese family and the girl was wearing a shirt that said something like "No fuck. Don't my shit".

In this case, it was more along the lines of the 1Up shirts and the various Nintendo track jackets/bags/etc. Hot Topic offers.

Rlan

e32004%20Miyamoto%205-11.jpg

I think that pretty much answers your question.

Top Bottom