• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pitchfork crowns King Kendrick Lamar (Top 50 Albums of 2012)

Status
Not open for further replies.
On second look WTF @ channel.BORANGE being so high. Best sleep therapy album of the year I guess.

In other news the rap picks strangely correlate to my personal ones in the order they appear in.. sorta.

It's true that it's good to sleep to. Still it's fucking amazing.

yes. It's a disgrace that there is no converge here. But also a disgrace that you snooze to Channel Orange.

in conclusion...
14ui442jpg.gif

Should be used as a ASAP Rocky gif.

I'm usually okay with P4K's year end efforts, but this year's edition is terrible. I mean, they listed a BBC mix as an album. Glass Swords didn't even make the year end list in 2011 did it? Shame.

Also goddamn was that Stott album disappointing :(

They're playing catch-up for not fully lauding his two much much better EPs from last year

Fjordson

Chromatics in the top 10. This pleases me greatly.

I gotta say, though...this Kendrick Lamar album just has me dumbfounded. So much acclaim and it puts me to sleep. Boring as hell.

Even the mostly average Section.80 is more enjoyable than GKMC.

edit: just noticed Mac Demarco in there also. Nice.

Jay Sosa

Never heard of any of those. Guess this is some kind of specialized list?

Yeah besides the bolded I don't know any of those people:

1. Kendrick Lamar - Good Kid Maad City
2. Frank Ocean - Channel Orange
3. Fiona Apple - The Idler Wheel ...
4. Tame Impala - Lonerism
5. Swans - The Seer
6. Grimes - Visions
7. Beach House - Bloom
8. Chromatics - Kill For Love
9. Death Grips - The Money Store
10. Grizzly Bear - Shields
11. Japandroids - Celebration Rock
12. Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Allelujah! Don't Bend! Ascend!
13. Killer Mike - R.A.P. Music
14. Andy Stott - Luxury Problems
15. Dirty Projectors - Swing Lo Magellan
16. Burial - Kindred EP
17. Bat For Lashes - The Haunted Man
18. Ty Segall Band/Ty Segall & White Fence - Slaughterhouse/Hair
19. Cloud Nothings - Attack on Memory
20. Jessie Ware - Devotion
21. Ariel Pink Haunted Graffiti - Mature Themes
22. Flying Lotus - Until the Quiet Comes
23. Miguel - Kaleidoscope Dreams
24. Purity Ring - Shrines
25. Schoolboy Q - Habits N Contradictions
26. Julia Holter - Ekstasis
27. John Talabot - Fin
28. How to Dress Well - Total Loss
29. Cat Power - Sun
30. The Men - Open Your Heart
31. Spiritualized - Sweet Heart Sweet Light
32. Action Bronson - Blue Chips
33. Actress - RIP
34. Chairlift - Something
35. TNGHT - TNGHT EP
36. Sharon Von Etten - Tramp
37. Future - Pluto
38. Lotus Plaza - Spooky Action at a Distance
39. Hot Chip - In Our Heads
40. DIIV - Oshin
41. Dum Dum Girls - End of Daze EP
42. Rick Ross - Rich Forever
43. Mac Demarco - 2
44. Metz - Metz
45. El-P - Cancer for Cure
46. Rustie - BBC Essential Mix
47. Pallbearer - Sorrow & Extinction
48. Peaking Lights - Lucifer
49. Crystal Castles - III
50. Lambchop - Mr. M

Zizbuka

Banned
What kind of music do you listen to? The pitchfork list is pretty general.

Looking at Wikipedia's albums that came out in 2012. Not necessarily the new album for some, but their older stuff.

Counting Crows
Train
Silversun Pickups
Temper Trap
Rush
Linkin Park
Gaslight Anthem
Blur
Imagine Dragons
The Killers
Three Days Grace

I guess Gotye was in 2011?

Yoshiya

Never heard of any of those. Guess this is some kind of specialized list?

Pitchfork is the jack-of-all-trades of alternative music blogs. Unless you're strictly top 40 I can't imagine how you'd know none of these.

Beach House became a total bore to me, like The xx the album didn't last. Very happy to see Chromatics in the top ten.

Looking at Wikipedia's albums that came out in 2012. Not necessarily the new album for some, but their older stuff.

Counting Crows
Train
Silversun Pickups
Temper Trap
Rush
Linkin Park
Gaslight Anthem
Blur
Imagine Dragons
The Killers
Three Days Grace

That list is bleak, man. If you're remotely interested in broadening your musical horizons, I'd advise you to delve deeper into contemporary music.

Servbot24

Banned

Counting Crows
Train
Silversun Pickups
Temper Trap
Rush
Linkin Park
Gaslight Anthem
Blur
Imagine Dragons
The Killers
Three Days Grace

Pitchfork doesn't really cover those types of bands, except for Killers and Temper Trap I would presume. Pitchfork is going for the indie hipster crowd.

And yes as the above poster mentioned, if you're at all interested in music then it would really be a good idea to try some new things.

Zizbuka

Banned
Oh, so Pitchfork is for the iphone crowd. I'm definitely not hipster.

I can stomach pretty much anything, except hardcore rap. Rappers with style are ok; Snoop Dogg, Eminem, etc. Can't take the gangsta stuff.

But enough about me.

I can stomach pretty much anything, except hardcore rap. Rappers with style are ok; Snoop Dogg, Eminem, etc. Can't take the gangsta stuff.

But enough about me.
The iPhone crowd?

It's exactly the boring list you'd expect p4k to make.

Quietus had the best year end list that I've seen. http://thequietus.com/articles/10924-the-quietus-albums-of-the-year-2012

I don't know about Channel Orange being boring (hard to call it that when it's near Grizzly Bear and Beach House on the list), but I would say it's a downright mediocre album.
It's an interesting list, I've started going through several of the albums I haven't listened to yet. The VCMG album is absolutely delicious.

PBY

Banned

But enough about me.
C'mon man.

Yoshiya

Equating the top selling phone with "hipster" is probably fairly insightful here regarding the adventurousness of your music taste. Pitchfork is good for anyone who wants a fairly diverse range of decent music served up on a daily basis.

Kusagari

But enough about me.

Pretty sure the "iPhone crowd" would have no idea who 90% of the artists on this list are.

But enough about me.
1338477978_1235644960_50_cent_does_not_approve.gif

What does the 'iPhone crowd' mean?

Nibel

You don't even know a single song from Kendrick, do you?

There is a reason almost every major music outlet crowns this man

EFBoD.jpg

overcast

Seeing Q in this list makes me happier than seeing Kendrick on it. Love seeing Habits and Contradictions appreciated. 2nd favorite rap album of the year.

seriously guys listen to Japandroids. They're a two-man group outta Vancouver who deserve their props.
Their second LP was overproduced and boring. A lot of the rough edges that defined the first album and gave it character were conspicuously absent, replaced with trite lyrics replete with tons of pronouns. The only keeper on the album is Younger Us, which is about two years old. Yuck.

Their second LP was overproduced and boring. A lot of the rough edges that defined the first album and gave it character were conspicuously absent, replaced with trite lyrics replete with tons of pronouns. The only keeper on the album is Younger Us, which is about two years old. Yuck.

Really? I thought it was a solid runner-up to their first album. It takes a few listens and the songs seem to bleed into each other.

Zizbuka

Banned
I know, but he was ran out of this thread haha.

I wasn't run out of the thread. I gave my opinion, some of my musical tastes. If someone has issues with it, oh well.

The iphone comment was more about the 'look at me, I'm cool' type. I know you can't generalize, but there are more than a few people who own iphones only because it's 'in'.

Listen to the music you like, that's cool. Why do some people need to drive with the volume and bass maxed, it can't actually sound good. They want to be seen.

I wasn't run out of the thread. I gave my opinion, some of my musical tastes. If someone has issues with it, oh well.

The iphone comment was more about the 'look at me, I'm cool' type. I know you can't generalize, but there are more than a few people who own iphones only because it's 'in'.

Listen to the music you like, that's cool. Why do some people need to drive with the volume and bass maxed, it can't actually sound good. They want to be seen.

ypTAZ.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom