• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pitchfork crowns King Kendrick Lamar (Top 50 Albums of 2012)

Status
Not open for further replies.
i keep forgetting to listen to DAT KENDRICK LAMAR to see what all the hype is about

Oh, so Pitchfork is for the iphone crowd. I'm definitely not hipster.

I can stomach pretty much anything, except hardcore rap. Rappers with style are ok; Snoop Dogg, Eminem, etc. Can't take the gangsta stuff.

But enough about me.

nah, cuz then Macklemore & Ryan Lewis would be top 5

Shrines should be higher and Shields should not even be on the list.
Otherwise, pretty good top 50.

Almost forgot to say: No Shigeto - Lineage? One of my favorites of the year.

genjiZERO

Good for him - it's an incredible album. Glad to see Andy Scott's Luxury Problems and Burial's Kindred EP get so high up - they are my personal favourites.

JCX said:
Lana gets snubbed again.

Yeah she's such a post-modern artist. I mean everything about her is utterly manufactured. She's the embodiment of an Andy Warhol painting. Fine art at its best.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Swans got robbed. The Kendrick album is good, and predictably got AOTY here. Admittedly, I would probably rather listen to any of the other rap albums in their top 50 before it.

This is the best top 10 Pitchfork has put together in a while. Fuck Grimes & Beach House though.

Rootbeer

Banned
I've tried getting into channel ORANGE, just not my thing. Lamar's album is fantastic, listened to it start to finish about 8 times, but i'm still surprised it's their #1.

Not that I'm sure what my #1 would be either. Maybe Cloud Nothings or Memory Tapes. I also like Swans and Beach House's new stuff. It was a strong year for music. As it is every year if you know where and what to find :)

Not meaning to be condescending but... did you 'get' Pyramids?
The writing is fantastic.

Is it? He's great as a vocalist/performer but I don't see a whole lot in the lyricism(actually there's several songs on the album I like better in that regard), and that track just goes on arbitrarily long. It's pulled by a couple of really good hooks but he plays them out.

Danielsan

Not into rap, but it's good to see Fionna Apple, Grimes, Chromatics, Beach House and Grizzly Bear grabbing some top 10 spots. I personally would have put Burial's Kindred in the top 10 as well.

Zekes!

Who's Grimes? Apparently she's Canadian but I've never heard of her except from 17-20 y.o girls on twitter/tumblr

Anyways, both good kid and channel Orange would be in my top picks this year too.

RJT

Kendrick Lamar was my last time trying to listen to rap music. I find the lyrics utterly stupid and prone to level down any moral grounds or ethical principles one could expect to get from musical culture. I enjoyed enough of the beats and researched musical arrangements, but I guess it's what's being done with it that repels me. The idea that this gets picked as record of the year anywhere is such a frightening thought, even.
Especially when Ke$ha released a record on the same year. This joke will ruin my post but I had to make it.

I'm sorry, but are you sure you listened to the album? I would respect someone saying that the album is too preachy, but "prone to level down any moral grounds or ethical principles one could expect to get from musical culture"?

An album that criticizes gang culture, alcohol abuse, and prostitution, and promotes religion, is "utterly stupid and prone to level down any moral grounds or ethical principles one could expect to get from musical culture"?

BTW, the BBC also loves moral decay.

kingslunk

yes. It's a disgrace that there is no converge here. But also a disgrace that you snooze to Channel Orange.

in conclusion...
14ui442jpg.gif

Converge should never be mentioned in any list for album of the year.
I even saw them live once. They were fucking awful.

HiiiLife

I'm sorry, but are you sure you listened to the album? I would respect someone saying that the album is too preachy, but "prone to level down any moral grounds or ethical principles one could expect to get from musical culture"?

An album that criticizes gang culture, alcohol abuse, and prostitution, and promotes religion, is "utterly stupid and prone to level down any moral grounds or ethical principles one could expect to get from musical culture"?

BTW, the BBC also loves moral decay.

Eh I wouldn't even entertain it. They really don't knowwwww.

I don't know how many people I've came across that still think Swimming Pools is a celebratory drinking song.

That's when I just stop.

Revolver

I'm waiting for the Pitchfork app that goes through my playlist and just draws a long breath. Lots of stuff I haven't heard but glad to see Grimes, Bat for Lashes, Chromatics and Beach House up there. I've been meaning to check out Swans, I haven't listened to them since White Light from the Mouth of Infinity.

BeeDog

I've seen that Actress - R.I.P. being pimped on various sites, so I decided to check it out.

Wow.

It was quite a while ago I've listened to an album that has divided me so. Most tracks are dreadful(ly boring), but once in a while a pretty fucking good tune pops up. What an uneven album, leaning more on the "shit" side than the "good" side.

Everdred

I downloaded the top 10 and I dislike all of them except for Frank Ocean. I really wanted to like Kendrick Lamar too. I never seem to have similar taste to these sites. My favorite new albums of 2012 came from The xx, Alt-J and Macklemore. I do enjoy the Japandroids though.

Rootbeer

Banned
I'm gay and even though I enjoyed Channel Orange, the album is extremely overrated. Miguel's album is so much better.

Agree. Also gay. Not my style of music. Reminds me of the popularity of James Blunt. Not disputing the talent just disputing the taste in some people's musical preference I guess :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom