• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pitchfork crowns King Kendrick Lamar (Top 50 Albums of 2012)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoilBreak

Banned
I'm at work, so if you posted another pic/gif to point fun at me I can't see it.

Nananana

i2mp0VTCBRzix.gif

bomma_man

It's exactly the boring list you'd expect p4k to make.

Quietus had the best year end list that I've seen. http://thequietus.com/articles/10924-the-quietus-albums-of-the-year-2012

I don't know about Channel Orange being boring (hard to call it that when it's near Grizzly Bear and Beach House on the list), but I would say it's a downright mediocre album.

Some deep cuts on here, thanks, will listen

Looking at Wikipedia's albums that came out in 2012. Not necessarily the new album for some, but their older stuff.

Counting Crows
Train
Silversun Pickups
Temper Trap
Rush
Linkin Park
Gaslight Anthem
Blur
Imagine Dragons
The Killers
Three Days Grace

I guess Gotye was in 2011?

No offense dude but this is pretty grim. (Excluding blur). If P4k is the iPhone you're a Nokia 6210.

RJT

seriously guys listen to Japandroids. They're a two-man group outta Vancouver who deserve their props.

Sorry, but I only listen to music for the iphone crowd, not those dirty imitations.
get it? Japandroids *insert pig laugh noise*

I've tried, but this is definitely an album I don't "get."

I like the Japandroids follow up more than their debut. There is a little more maturity (and less repetitive lyrics) on it.

I'm a little bummed that Menomena's album doesn't seem to be getting that much love this year. I thought it was fucking fantastic.

Blair

Banned
I can stomach pretty much anything, except hardcore rap. Rappers with style are ok; Snoop Dogg, Eminem, etc. Can't take the gangsta stuff.

Hardcore G shit, neogaf don't play around

Frank and K own 2012. Good top 50 for pitchfork.

HiiiLife

You killed my cousin back in 94 fuck yo truce!

Can't wait to see this dude live the crowd is going to be bouncing.

Damn I love this album. I can't think of many albums that I genuinely love. I spin this CD daily.

I missed him when he came to Utah. But next time, I'm getting tickets in advance.

Also do people think of Pitchfork as the IGN of music?

I never really pay attention to top 10's when it comes to music. Lol.

I wasn't run out of the thread. I gave my opinion, some of my musical tastes. If someone has issues with it, oh well.

The iphone comment was more about the 'look at me, I'm cool' type. I know you can't generalize, but there are more than a few people who own iphones only because it's 'in'.

Listen to the music you like, that's cool. Why do some people need to drive with the volume and bass maxed, it can't actually sound good. They want to be seen.

You started out good, then went full retard again.

J2d

A couple of these picks would end up on my top list and I'll give some of the others a second chance or a try. Love this time of the year, doesn't matter if I don't agree with them, lists are awesome.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Damn I love this album. I can't think of many albums that I genuinely love. I spin this CD daily.

I missed him when he came to Utah. But next time, I'm getting tickets in advance.

Also do people think of Pitchfork as the IGN of music?

I never really pay attention to top 10's when it comes to music. Lol.

From driving to and from work i reach to the swimming pools track everyday.

The only song in the top 100 that I've heard is Call me Maybe, and that one isn't even that good.

And the complete lack of Country on both the albums list and the songs list is pretty disgusting, but what can you do.

Eidan

HA HA suck it GAF

Channel boring my ass.

Though pitchfork isn't really a site I usually agree with.

btw: Out of the Top 50 I know 5 people/bands

You'd think if someone hated Channel Orange that much, they wouldn't be applauding the fact that it was ranked as the second best album of the year.

I wasn't run out of the thread. I gave my opinion, some of my musical tastes. If someone has issues with it, oh well.

The iphone comment was more about the 'look at me, I'm cool' type. I know you can't generalize, but there are more than a few people who own iphones only because it's 'in'.

Listen to the music you like, that's cool. Why do some people need to drive with the volume and bass maxed, it can't actually sound good. They want to be seen.
bro

...bro

shamanick

Numbers 1 and 2 probably deserved it but no Converge or Baroness on this list? FOR SHAME PITCHFORK

Converge deserved top 5

I'm a little bummed that Menomena's album doesn't seem to be getting that much love this year. I thought it was fucking fantastic.

Also this

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.

injustica.
injustica.

This year just didn't do that much for me. I'm worried I'm entering the too-old-to-like-new-music stage of my life. I can't say I really hate any music there, but most of the stuff in the top 20 is hit and miss for me. Out of the Top 10, I wouldn't miss anything except Kendrick, Fiona and Tame Impala, and even then I can't really say I love any of those albums(but I loved Kendrick's last album! What the fuck!).

That said, in the following ten:

12. Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Allelujah! Don't Bend! Ascend!
13. Killer Mike - R.A.P. Music
14. Andy Stott - Luxury Problems

Those are three albums I think I love, so maybe it ain't so bad.

EDIT: That Frank Ocean album is a mystery to me. The best part is 3K's guest verse in Pink Matter.

The list has Q and Lamar.

All is right in the world.

About to play Set Backs, Habits & Contradictions & Good Kid Maad City now.

How are you, shit I go by Q
Hey ho, now what it do
Got a king size and it's built for two.

Jay Sosa

You'd think if someone hated Channel Orange that much, they wouldn't be applauding the fact that it was ranked as the second best album of the year.

I know I know, it's more like 50/50. Lots of Gaffers have CO in their Top 10 (I'm one of them)

Shurs

The list seems fine, though when Round and Round was named song of the year in 2010, I started to wonder if Pitchfork's year end lists weren't filled with a few practical jokes.

2012 was a disappointing year for me when it came to music. A bunch of albums from bands/artists I really like -- such as Grizzly Bear, Deerhoof, Of Montreal, Animal Collective, The Shins, Bowerbirds, Tallest Man On Earth -- failed to resonate with me as much as much as their previous works.

Lonerism, from Tame Impala was a notable exception. My most listened to album was probably Swing Lo Magellan.

I should note that I have discovered some good bands due to Pitchfork's year end lists. The one that instantly pops into my head is Women, who's self-titled debut was on the AOTY Honorable mention list a few years ago.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Dont know any of these bands. Gave the top five a listen on youtube and left disappointed.

I'm not to much into hip/hop and rehashed 60s Music.

Was hoping to find a new artist like James Blake etc. :'(

Kusagari

The list has Q and Lamar.

All is right in the world.

About to play Set Backs, Habits & Contradictions & Good Kid Maad City now.

How are you, shit I go by Q
Hey ho, now what it do
Got a king size and it's built for two.

List would only be perfect if Ab-Soul was on there to complete the trifecta.

HiiiLife

Yeah I like Control System more than Habits & Contradictions.

But I'm not complaining at all with Q there.

Way to go Black Hippy.

Haven't loved a rap debut this much in soooooooooo long.

solarus

Way to go Black Hippy.

Same here, but both are dope albums. Gkmc is something special man, been a while since I've heard something like this.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Happy to see Action Bronson on there. I think that Rare Chandeliers is better than Blue Chips though.

Maiar_m

Kendrick Lamar was my last time trying to listen to rap music. I find the lyrics utterly stupid and prone to level down any moral grounds or ethical principles one could expect to get from musical culture. I enjoyed enough of the beats and researched musical arrangements, but I guess it's what's being done with it that repels me. The idea that this gets picked as record of the year anywhere is such a frightening thought, even.
Especially when Ke$ha released a record on the same year. This joke will ruin my post but I had to make it.

Fjordson

Happy to see Action Bronson on there. I think that Rare Chandeliers is better than Blue Chips though.
Yeah, love that Bronson is on there
best hip-hop album on the entire list

I'm not sure which I like better. Maybe Chandeliers for the Alchemist production.

Way to go Black Hippy.

I can see that, I personally like Setbacks more than H&C. Not to say H&C is horrible as it still puts 80% of other albums to shame.

I could be saying that because Druggys Wit Hoes is that song I play to chill the fuck out in more ways than one. I like Druggys Wit Hoes Again, but it doesn't have that smooth as beat that the first has. Shit is just too damn smooth.

But yea Black Hippy is killin it.

HiiiLife

Kendrick Lamar was my last time trying to listen to rap music. I find the lyrics utterly stupid and prone to level down any moral grounds or ethical principles one could expect to get from musical culture. I enjoyed enough of the beats and researched musical arrangements, but I guess it's what's being done with it that repels me. The idea that this gets picked as record of the year anywhere is such a frightening thought, even.
Especially when Ke$ha released a record on the same year. This joke will ruin my post but I had to make it.

This post offends me.

:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom