• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planetside 2 |OT| 12 Man Squads, 2000 Players, So Free You'll Want to Pay!

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I've been on and off for the past 2 weeks but yea I can get you an invite to AT if you want, add Razgriz417 when you get the chance after the move.

I probably have you on the friends list, but since I've been on Matterson this whole time, guess you can send an invite. Or do I need to leave [GAF]?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Glad to see Genudine merge. Looking forward to BIGGER things.

KePoW

Banned
I am amazed at the amount of data they are tracking for the player site. I hope that is all tracked server side and not contributing to client performance issues [/url]

It has to be tracked server side, otherwise everyone would hack the stats so easy.

It's still possible that it may or may not contribute to performance issues.

cripterion

Had several killing sprees today, whether on foot or in vehicles. Was really fun.
Glad they increased the range at which units render, makes for some epic battles.

https://players.planetside2.com/#!/5428010917255004497/killboard

89CD2EA4A9FBCD2A47DB943F0E033D4F811F4C91

I am getting held back by my CPU (and I shouldnt be, it's a i7-950). It's stock, since I apparently got one that isn't good for overclocking as even a small bump in the base clock results in Windows failing to load.

This game is so CPU heavy.

cripterion

I am getting held back by my CPU (and I should be, it's a i7-950). It's stock, since I apparently got one that isn't good for overclocking as even a small bump in the base clock results in Windows failing to load.

This game is so CPU heavy.

Yep it is, I dip into 30's during some major battles and the fps indicator always tells me it's the CPU.
Still, with the amount if detail in the game and all those players, I'm alright with the current performance. I5 3750K with asus GTX670. I also feel the game benefits from running off an SSD.

Hellish

Can someone fill me in on what is happening with PS2 at MLG Dallas? Like any details regarding how it will work in a smaller competitive setting?

MrBig

Can someone fill me in on what is happening with PS2 at MLG Dallas? Like any details regarding how it will work in a smaller competitive setting?

SOE is at MLG Dallas so that they can announce all those plans, there won't be any competitions held for it then.

Don't expect "smaller" stuff though, in terms of traditional MLG player counts. How it will probably be structured is several different Outfit weights (>1000, >500, >100, >50, etc) competing within their respective classes, with a few representatives of each outfit being present at whatever event, and then everyone else playing from home. They have talked about but have not confirmed that they will have specialized competitive servers they will bring on for events, depending on if they want to cordon it off from the general servers.

MrBig

MrBig

mr_nothin

Banned
MrNothin....

Yes! I am THE TR on Mattherson :p

Man we just had some stupidly huge battles for the past few hours. I've been playing this game all day o_O. I never actually get tired of the actual game, just the people in it. Next month should fix a lot of that though...territory will become a lot more important.

Superb! It's easy to find a group to play with in-game, but you can never tell if they're going to actually use/follow waypoints, use voice comms, etc. I'll add you guys.

mr_nothin

Banned
Their original post had it for today (the 28th) but they edited it to show as the 1st instead.

Look up in this thread, someone even copy/pasted the original message and it lists the 28th.

Was probably a typo or something and they meant tonight.
Anyways, it'll happen at 3am March 1st so it's only a few hours from now :D

Lonestar

yeah, don't think there's controller access yet. Not sure, maybe there will be in the future. But, there are alot of buttons necessary for various functions.

MrBig

yeah, don't think there's controller access yet. Not sure, maybe there will be in the future. But, there are alot of buttons necessary for various functions.

I just hope they have all analogue issues sorted out by the time the Oculus Rift comes out. I know they expressed interest in it at some point and I'm likely going to be investing in one next year

Violater

I got most of the main buttons mapped to the controller.
The aim is the main problem, I just hate using the KB mostly.
I sit infront of a computer and work 8-10 hours a day, most times I just want to lay back in bed with a controller when I'm playing games.
The game is a blast though, I need to roll with some gafers to learn the ropes some more.

mr_nothin

Banned
I got most of the main buttons mapped to the controller.
The aim is the main problem, I just hate using the KB mostly.
I sit infront of a computer and work 8-10 hours a day, most times I just want to lay back in bed with a controller when I'm playing games.
The game is a blast though, I need to roll with some gafers to learn the ropes some more.

You TR? If not, eff you
you seem like a stinkin VS

Lonestar

yeah, I was thinking of the minimum button's you'd need to map.

F-Function
G-Grenade
R-Reload
E-Equip
Q-Spot
B-Sunderer Deploy
Something to rotate weapons/tools
Something to switch seats

Then you start to get into the various forms of ingame chats, and miscellaneous buttons like the L button (turns lights/lasers on and off). Also the vehicle button (lock it to squad, self-destroy).

Can probably get most of it on a controller, and deal with the vehicle stuff back on the keyboard. I bet I'd be able to flying with the controller sticks, cause I'm pretty horrible flying with KB&M.

Man these new pump shotties, so much fun, feels like we all have mini hacksaws now. They all are 143X10pellets. You only need 7 to hit to ohk a guy, 8 if they have nano weave. Took out a max with it during my trial :)

They will be nerfed soon, which is why I haven't bought one yet.

There's apparently another set of shotties in the data files so I'm holding off on them. Though people are saying its really a side grade, the pump shotties have better burst damage but overall dps is higher on the semi automatics. Missing your first shot is with them usually means I lose the fight

MrBig

GU4 details

Major things imo:

Flash
  • Rumble seat - bring a passenger with you on your flash, they are weapons free in the passenger seat!
Higby: rumble seat is innate on the flash, no unlock required, no item selection required. All flashes are just 2-seaters now!

Account level unlocks

• Items you've purchased with StationCash will be available to all characters on your account that are eligible to use that item.
  • Common pool items, such as the Zephyr or NS-11 will be available to all characters on your account.
  • Empire specific weapons such as the GD-22 and Lasher will be available to all characters of the required faction on your account.
  • We are working on a solution for those of you who have purchased the same item on multiple characters.

VR Training

• A safe test zone where you can try each weapon and vehicle in the game with no resource cost or cooldown timers.

New respawn & map screen

• We've combined the respawn and map screen into one.
  • The new map screen has been cleaned up better use space.
This is just a small preview of the main tentpole features for GU04...

For the lazy
Hey all!

We wanted to give you guys a preview of some things you can look forward to in GU04, which is tentatively scheduled for release next week, pending any issues discovered in testing of course. First though, I wanted to talk a bit about our current update schedule "cadence" so you all understand when you can expect the game to be updated.

We have three types of updates to live that we use; Game Update, Patch and Hotfix.

Game Updates come on a 2-week cadence, so every second week you should expect a major game update with new features, gameplay changes, items and bug fixes. Last week we released GU03, we expect to release GU04 next week.
Patches come in between Game Updates, they typically don't introduce new gameplay or features, but will usually contain bug fixes, balance changes, and new items. We won't always have one each week, these come as needed.
Hotfixes can come any day, and they're based on an urgent need to change a game balance issue or bug.
In general we try to release Game Updates and Patches early on Wednesday mornings (PST), but we sometimes need to hold back the updates for more QA time when issues are found.

Coming with GU04

Here's a preview of some of the features which are currently scheduled to be released with GU04 next week and the patch in the following week:

Flash update:
Wraith Module (Cloaking) for infiltrators using the Flash
Rumble seat - bring a passenger with you on your flash, they are weapons free in the passenger seat!
New weapon: Renegade shotgun

Account level unlocks
Items you've purchased with StationCash will be available to all characters on your account that are eligible to use that item.
Common pool items, such as the Zephyr or NS-11 will be available to all characters on your account.
Empire specific weapons such as the GD-22 and Lasher will be available to all characters of the required faction on your account.
We are working on a solution for those of you who have purchased the same item on multiple characters.

VR Training
A safe test zone where you can try each weapon and vehicle in the game with no resource cost or cooldown timers.
Target practice areas to learn weapon strengths and weaknesses at range, practice recoil patterns.
Driving/flying area to practice with vehicles.
Areas to practice team tactics, such as towers and small outposts.
No player stats are recorded in VR, so have fun!

New respawn & map screen
We've combined the respawn and map screen into one.
The new map screen has been cleaned up better use space.
Additional top requested features, such as friendly troop locations will be coming soon, but not with GU04.

Membership enhancements
We've increased the number of passive certifications for members and scaled the increase in cert points based on length of membership. The new cert point rates are as follows:
1-mo. member - 24 passive cert points/day
2-mo. member - 28.8 passive cert points/day
3-mo. member - 33.6 passive cert points/day
4-mo. member - 38.4 passive cert points/day
5-mo. member - 43.2 passive cert points/day
6-mo. + member - 48 passive cert points/day

Empire specific Rocket Launchers
VS - Lancer: an extremely precise, super-high-velocity, anti-vehicle energy weapon with a unique charge mechanic, the longer you charge the weapon the more damage it deals.
TR - Striker: launches a series of mid-damage guided missiles at a single target, the Striker's user must maintain the lock by keeping the enemy in the crosshairs while the missiles are tracking.
NC - Phoenix: A high damage, slow firing camera guided missile which must be guided by the Phoenix's user. The Phoenix is capable of dealing high damage with very little warning since there is no lock on.
These weapons will be released in the patch the week following GU04

Notable balance changes
Explosive radius from ALL vehicle based damage sources have been reduced, this does not affect vehicle vs vehicle direct hit damage, only splash damage vs infantry.
Prowler HEAT / HE rounds have had their damage reduced to no longer 1-shot kill infantry, killing a full health infantry will require both Prowler rounds to be fired. This does not affect vs. vehicle damage.
This is just a small preview of the main tentpole features for GU04, in addition to the above GU04 will contain a number of bug fixes and smaller balance tweaks, map changes to Indar, optimization and stability improvements.

I want to be absolutely clear that all of this is tentative, and until it's on the server it's not a guarantee! We want to keep you guys as up to date as possible with the current development, but it must come with the understanding that features slip & dates slip, and what we're giving you is our best possible projection of what and when.

Edit: Wanted to add a quick note about server merges. I've heard from a lot folks on Connery & Woodman who are upset that they didn't get a chance to have their server merged. We're going to be continuing to monitor server populations to see if it's possible to do further merges, but with the current peak player loads there wasn't a good way to merge those servers without causing login queue bottlenecks and a generally bad experience.

As always, we're excited to hear your feedback, here, twitter, facebook and everywhere else.
Thanks!
-
mh

Loving that the lancer is coming back for the VS and the balances to splash damage on vehicles. Account wide unlocks will be great for when our outfit goes and guests on another server, that NC phoenix can become a real pain real quick, squads of heavies hiding behind rocks and just swinging missles around cover could be real OP. Hope there's going to be a range limit

MrBig

Here's the new map/deploy screen. Not sure if it's final since they had to show an old build.

The VR was also shown but was an old build and will look completely different. Functionally it was pretty similar to the PS1 VR. All certs/weapons were available to equip, but only the final levels of certs so you can't test what each level is like. It's 2kmx2km, has a bunch of friendly/enemy vehicles and infantry placed all around, as well as a shooting range and a tower. Accessed via the warp terminal.

Here's the recording for anyone that wants to see. Starts at around 1:40.

Here's the new map/deploy screen. Not sure if it's final since they had to show an old build.

The VR was also shown but was an old build and will look completely different. Functionally it was pretty similar to the PS1 VR. All certs/weapons were available to equip, but only the final levels of certs so you can't test what each level is like. It's 2kmx2km, has a bunch of friendly/enemy vehicles and infantry placed all around, as well as a shooting range and a tower.

I think that deploy screen is VR specific, but it wasn't super clear when they showed it.

Lonestar

interesting that they are gonna make the Flash more relevant. Being able to carry a passenger, who can fire, can turn flash swarms into a quick strike weapon.

mr_nothin

Banned
I know they plan to do it, but I seem to recall them mentioning when they showed this screen is that it was just for the VR area.

That led me to believe the new combined map/deploy screen may look different than what we saw.

Nah, it's the redesign for everyone, in VR and on servers. They said it was WIP though so it will look a bit different.

Trickytoon

Neo Member
So I've installed and uninstalled this game multiple times, and each time I leave so frustrated with the game that I want to break things. I keep coming back because the odd time I manage to find a battle it feels so fun but then something else happens that I can't get my head around and the game seems to want to prevent me from doing anything other than running around an empty base or following my squad mates with no ammo. I've watched most of the Planetside guides and, quite honestly, they aren't helping me at all. Would anyone be willing to point me in the right direction? Specifically :

- I spawn, die very quickly a few times because I don't know what I'm doing, and then I can't join my squad because I'm on a 5 min cooldown. Do I have to wait 5 mins or do I have any other options? Can I not spawn on my squad leader?

- On the odd occasion I find a battle I run out of ammo for all of my guns, so I run to a location marked by a gun icon but its red and it wont let me have ammo. I think I'm in an enemy base. How do I get ammo? My squad ignore my chat requests for ammo.

I'm really in the mood for a game like this but the systems and world are fighting me all the way - its probably just me. Any help greatly appreciated.

MrBig

So I've installed and uninstalled this game multiple times, and each time I leave so frustrated with the game that I want to break things. I keep coming back because the odd time I manage to find a battle it feels so fun but then something else happens that I can't get my head around and the game seems to want to prevent me from doing anything other than running around an empty base or following my squad mates with no ammo. I've watched most of the Planetside guides and, quite honestly, they aren't helping me at all. Would anyone be willing to point me in the right direction? Specifically :

- I spawn, die very quickly a few times because I don't know what I'm doing, and then I can't join my squad because I'm on a 5 min cooldown. Do I have to wait 5 mins or do I have any other options? Can I not spawn on my squad leader?

- On the odd occasion I find a battle I run out of ammo for all of my guns, so I run to a location marked by a gun icon but its red and it wont let me have ammo. I think I'm in an enemy base. How do I get ammo? My squad ignore my chat requests for ammo.

I'm really in the mood for a game like this but the systems and world are fighting me all the way - its probably just me. Any help greatly appreciated.

You really have to join an outfit. You have to work with other people, either on a large 100+ member scale or even just a tight knit and organized ~20 member scale, etc, whatever you're comfortable with, to really accomplish things e.g. large skirmishes and standoff defenses and continent captures on the large scale and then reviving/healing eachother and giving out ammo on the tactical side of things. If you're just playing by yourself or in most pub squads you're hardly helping yourself have fun and are missing out on a lot of the things this game is really based around.

A lot of outfits offer training sessions for people just starting out and learning how to do different things, and there will be a training area of the game without fighting added ~next week

Don't force yourself into one though, find one with an atmosphere you can respect and think you can have a good time working in. I currently play with Azure Twilight on Mattherson.

You really have to join an outfit. You have to work with other people, either on a large 100+ member scale or even just a tight knit and organized ~20 member scale, etc, whatever you're comfortable with, to really accomplish things e.g. large skirmishes and standoff defenses and continent captures on the large scale and then reviving/healing eachother and giving out ammo on the tactical side of things. If you're just playing by yourself or in most pub squads you're hardly helping yourself have fun and are missing out on a lot of the things this game is really based around.

A lot of outfits offer training sessions for people just starting out and learning how to do different things, and there will be a training area of the game without fighting added ~next week

Don't force yourself into one though, find one with an atmosphere you can respect and think you can have a good time working in. I currently play with Azure Twilight on Mattherson.
Wait you joined AT? When was this? I'm happy to see more gaf in AT :) and I wholeheartedly agree, this game is definitely made for outfits, trying to solo or using pub squads can be very frustrating especially when you are new to the game. Definitely recommend joining an outfit and asking for some help. Hell if you're on mattherson Vanu, add me, join AT and download teamspeak. I wouldn't mind running through the basics with you

Edit: also have you guys seen the forums about how there was a queue to login to mattherson last night? Every continent was full, had some epic fights trying to lock down Amerish

Trickytoon

Neo Member
Thanks for taking the time to reply guys, I really appreciate it.

To be honest I've just spent another frustrating 30 mins trying to join a squad but because the continent they were on was full (Indar always seems full), and there doesn't seem to be an intuitive way to join a squad on the continent you are on I've given up for the day after I spent a few minutes following a group of people who just seem to want to shoot each other or jetpack aimlessly around.

If you're just playing by yourself or in most pub squads you're hardly helping yourself have fun and are missing out on a lot of the things this game is really based around.

I wasn't against joining an outfit, I just didn't know that it was a requirement at a base level - I assumed it was much like joining a clan in a traditional shooter, which I never do because its not really required. I'll give that a try and see how I get on.

Thanks for taking the time to reply guys, I really appreciate it.

To be honest I've just spent another frustrating 30 mins trying to join a squad but because the continent they were on was full (Indar always seems full), and there doesn't seem to be an intuitive way to join a squad on the continent you are on I've given up for the day after I spent a few minutes following a group of people who just seem to want to shoot each other or jetpack aimlessly around.

I wasn't against joining an outfit, I just didn't know that it was a requirement at a base level - I assumed it was much like joining a clan in a traditional shooter, which I never do because its not really required. I'll give that a try and see how I get on.

Yea because the game is so large in scale, without joining an organized outfit, its really difficulty to figure out where the fight is and how to get there. That's probably the biggest reason to join one. Having someone else worry about finding the fight and placing markers on my map to identify them really helps. Outfits using 3rd party chat programs is more or less the norm in this game because it really helps with coordination and in game chat audio is just horrid. As for you not being able to deploy on your squad leader, its usually because the cooldown on that is every 15 minutes. Another possible reason is that they are on a different continent as you and it was full at the moment you tried to deploy. Usually when you die, the closest available spawn points will be marked with green dots(button?) on the respawn screen. They generally aren't that close to where you just died (unless you were spawncamped) and can range from being a friendly base, a sunderer (mobile spawn bus) or a spawn beacon (your squad leader has to unlock this ability and place it on the ground).

As for trying to join a squad nearyby, i think the - or = button auto tries to find you a squad to join. Ammo can be resupplied at AMS sunderers(the spawn ones that are deployed), those gun icons/terminals on the map (make sure they are your color) or via engineer ammo packs (they look like ammo on your minimap and are white glowing ammo icons in game). If you're out of ammo near friendlies press V then 4(?) to request ammo, that'll put a ammo icon on top of your head so hopefully an engineer responds

Top Bottom