• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planetside 2 |OT| 12 Man Squads, 2000 Players, So Free You'll Want to Pay!

Noaloha

I spent practically all of today making my first 'properly' edited (with cuts and different scenes and everything!) gaming video. I used Planetside 2 footage taken from last night.

I want to link it because I think it may have turned out way better than it had any right to.

Welcome To Ceres

MrBig

quasi lattice system being worked on, via Higby on the agnTV stream

bezkoq5ccaetsk_.jpglalru9n.jpg

Nice. I haven't been able to watch the stream (or play Planetside 2) due to my ISP currently being made of complete shit

2546508506.png

Yes, I know. It's pathetic. Even the lowest stream option for Twitch was too much.

Xpite

Neo Member
Just started playing. Joined vanu on matherson. Died a bunch and got a few kills, but it was pretty chaotic. Going to check out some guides to get a better grasp on how to play.

Animal

Banned
I started playing this game two days ago and I am blushing from how good it is. I played almost all day yesterday. So much fun.

Zia

Finally got Windows up and running again so the first thing I did was to download this between Hotline Miami sessions and real world work Mac-side. It took awhile and I was really excited to play tonight... uh, yeah, so much for that. Completely and utterly lost. Guess I'll watch some videos tomorrow and give it another go tomorrow night, but I can't believe how inaccessible it is.

MrBig

Jump on the AT teamspeak and into the Requesting Access channel or some other outfit's, play with some other guys that know what they're doing, you'll be good in a day or two to head off on your own or to stick with the outfit. Don't let the first time solo experience throw you off, but yeah, there's almost nothing to acclimate you to the game atm, it just dumps you in and lets you do whatever. Tutorial system is still in the works and won't be out for a couple more weeks at least but they are adding a specific training area to the game next week.

Le-mo

This game has caught my interest. How do I even begin to play the game? Do I just create a character and join a random clan or can I solo it? Does upgrades and leveling involve killing other players, NPC's or both?

Anton668

This game has caught my interest. How do I even begin to play the game? Do I just create a character and join a random clan or can I solo it? Does upgrades and leveling involve killing other players, NPC's or both?

A) basic FPS
B) Going solo will not net you the best experience. You dont have to join a clan per-say... but running around all lone wolf style will just get you killed repeatedly.
C) there are no NPC's. You get XP by killin, taking over bases etc, etc..

1. Use this cheat sheet for a fairly up to date controls overview.
2. When you join a game, press P first and check for squads/platoons. If they have an outfit (=clan) tag in them join them.
3. Press insert which deploys you on the squadleader.
4. If there is no cooperation or people are spread out all over the map join a different squad. (you could of course always check the map first before deploying on the squadleader)

So I'm just checking in, and I'm too lazy to go through the last few pages. How's the state of the game? Has it gotten any better since mid-January or so?

MrBig

So I'm just checking in, and I'm too lazy to go through the last few pages. How's the state of the game? Has it gotten any better since mid-January or so?

better in terms of what?

It's still got months of work before it gets to be where it's the game I've always wanted

mr_nothin

Banned

Wait about 2 - 2 1/2 months Butterstick & the game will be where you want it, in terms of having the groundwork for the metagame (aka ACTUAL METAGAME). THE update i've been waiting for since late beta is happening in about a month from now. That update is the Continent Locking/Linear Continent Progression. It's going to make things so much better.

There's a lot of other stuff they're adding pretty soon too (even a system similar to the lattice system from ps1)

Wait about 2 - 2 1/2 months Butterstick & the game will be where you want it, in terms of having the groundwork for the metagame (aka ACTUAL METAGAME). THE update i've been waiting for since late beta is happening in about a month from now. That update is the Continent Locking/Linear Continent Progression. It's going to make things so much better.

There's a lot of other stuff they're adding pretty soon too (even a system similar to the lattice system from ps1)

OK cool. That's exactly what I'm looking for . . . . having an overarching metagame will definitely work in this games favor.

So I play infiltrator with 5/5 nanoweave and now there are shotguns that insta kill me.

I'd be ok if it was the jackhammer, but of course the jackhammer/lasher/mini-chaingun are all pretty terrible. How on earth are they going to fix that? They just keep introducing more and more powerful items, while old ones become worthless. And the HA weapons are supposed to be a main feature of that class but nobody uses them.

mr_nothin

Banned
So I play infiltrator with 5/5 nanoweave and now there are shotguns that insta kill me.

I'd be ok if it was the jackhammer, but of course the jackhammer/lasher/mini-chaingun are all pretty terrible. How on earth are they going to fix that? They just keep introducing more and more powerful items, while old ones become worthless. And the HA weapons are supposed to be a main feature of that class but nobody uses them.

All of the HA empire-specific weapons are getting reworked majorly right now.

Just got into PS2 as I upgraded my PC.

Is this game very CPU-based? I ask because I did not install a cooling fan into my tower, the CPU came with a little fan on its own so I figured I'd save the money. Friend said games like BF3 wouldn't need to overclock, but I here PS2 does?

Mind you, Im relatively ignorant of PC gaming.

Anyways, the game is fun, unfortunately I'm not engaging in the squad play... May I add you, GAF?

MrBig

Is this game very CPU-based? I ask because I did not install a cooling fan into my tower, the CPU came with a little fan on its own so I figured I'd save the money. Friend said games like BF3 wouldn't need to overclock, but I here PS2 does?

Anyways, the game is fun, unfortunately I'm not engaging in the squad play... May I add you, GAF?

Yes PS2 is going to be CPU constrained on any system and OCing would help quite a bit if you're on a 2500k or greater. press alt+f to get a framerate gauge in the bottom left of your screen that also tells you whether you are being limited by your CPU or GPU at the current moment. BF3 is a very GPU bound game in contrast, yes.

There is a GAF player list in the op but I don't know how many of them still play. Best to hop on with a nice outfit on whatever server/faction you're on.

If you hit Alt + F while playing it'll give you an FPS counter in the lower left hand corner. But it'll also give you a little [GPU] or [CPU] depending on which is currently limiting the framerate. I'd say 90% of the time it'll be the CPU. You'll usually only see the GPU limiting your FPS when you're driving around empty areas (unless you start messing around with the render quality and bumping it up past 100%).

If you hit Alt + F while playing it'll give you an FPS counter in the lower left hand corner. But it'll also give you a little [GPU] or [CPU] depending on which is currently limiting the framerate. I'd say 90% of the time it'll be the CPU. You'll usually only see the GPU limiting your FPS when you're driving around empty areas (unless you start messing around with the render quality and bumping it up past 100%).

Yes PS2 is going to be CPU constrained on any system and OCing would help quite a bit if you're on a 2500k or greater. press alt+f to get a framerate gauge in the bottom left of your screen that also tells you whether you are being limited by your CPU or GPU at the current moment. BF3 is a very GPU bound game in contrast, yes.

There is a GAF player list in the op but I don't know how many of them still play. Best to hop on with a nice outfit on whatever server/faction you're on.

Yes, I'm getting about 100 FPS, then sometimes 30 when it's player-heavy. Like u say, Im GPU limited in open areas, but CPU limited everywhere else. That said, the game is running fine-- is it a big deal to install this fan? Id rather save the money.

MrBig

If it's fine for you as is, don't bother. It's not an extreme increase but it does make a pretty big difference, if you ever feel the need to OC it you can do it later.

mr_nothin

Banned
Soooo they're pretty much going to need that quasi-lattice system in when linear continent progression/continent locking/warpgate capturing comes in because people will just forget about the biolabs & amp stations and just make their way up to the warpgates and cap them. The only base benefit worthy right now is the Tech Plant's MBT upgrade. Maybe amp stations need to be linked to aircraft.

MrBig

Whuff, not a big fan of lock-on required AFTER firing. Not sure how I feel.

I wish all lock on missiles in PS2 were like that, fire and forgets are terrible because that's all there is too them and there's not much a pilot can use his skill to avoid them beyond hiding behind a mountain.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I wish all lock on missiles in PS2 were like that, fire and forgets are terrible because that's all there is too them and there's not much a pilot can use his skill to avoid them beyond hiding behind a mountain.

My view is a little skewed because I love going AA. ;)

mr_nothin

Banned
Joined Vanu on Mattherson, looking to get in the outfit. I sent FR to both Bamelin and Anton668. Can't wait to start murdering some scrubs :)

I was about to make this post anyways but since you brought up Mattherson.
If you're not enjoying the game that much anymore....because of playing musical chairs with the bases and having your faction not care about backcappers/ghostcappers and they're all about the ZERG......it's probably because of the freakin Mattherson server (at least for TR).

I left my lvl 45 chracter behind and went and joined Waterson, just to try it out and see how other servers performed. Man, I cant go back to Mattherson after being on here for 2 days. I've sat and played this game 8+ hours straight, 2 days in a row now. The Waterson server is much more competitive, the battles are bigger, and the bases/battles seem to hold more weight. Frontlines shift back and forth but it's not quick at all. Fights last a LONG time and they are pretty epic. Also, fights happen everywhere and not just at the Biolabs and The Crown.

I suggest that everyone on Mattherson just try out the Waterson server and see how you like it. It's so much better that I'm starting from the bottom again and I'm finding it 200% more enjoyable. There are less lag issues so far as well.

mr_nothin

Banned
-Instant action has been redesigned to be a single button press, with no on-map indication of where it will send the player, but it will still hot-drop them onto a facility with heavy combat. This is to prevent people from exploiting instant action as an organizational tool, which is what people were using it for previously. If you are in a squad and not the leader, a second button for squad deploy will appear.

:O
It's exactly what people were asking for and agreeing with in that thread that BuzzCut created. This is pretty MAJOR for me. We should see more transportation and people sticking around in the same areas rather than hopping around from place to place. This is prob the change that I like the most in GU4.

:O
It's exactly what people were asking for and agreeing with in that thread that BuzzCut created. This is pretty MAJOR for me. We should see more transportation and people sticking around in the same areas rather than hopping around from place to place. This is prob the change that I like the most in GU4.

Being able to restrict the Instant Action to prevent group hot dropping is good, but I think there is a better solution. PS1 had a good system with the HART, you had to do it from your Sanctuary and you couldn't drop within a base's Sphere of Influence, easily replicable in PS2.

I also don't like giving BCP credit for anything since he'll happily point out a flaw while exploiting it to an extreme (like when he Prowler farms by killing people in a spawn room).

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Thinking back on ps1, makes me hope for a future map that features a forest filled landscape. Can't remember the ps1 levels name, but I remember one.

Joined Vanu on Mattherson, looking to get in the outfit. I sent FR to both Bamelin and Anton668. Can't wait to start murdering some scrubs :)

I started playing again recently, and I haven't seen a single person online in the GAF Mattherson Vanu outfit yet. A previous poster said people stopped playing/switched servers. So now I'm kind of interested in what mr_nothin is talking about. With the account wide unlocks coming, switching isn't a big deal to me... but what about the server merges? Is it worth it to switch or will things get better?

I started playing again recently, and I haven't seen a single person online in the GAF Mattherson Vanu outfit yet. A previous poster said people stopped playing/switched servers. So now I'm kind of interested in what mr_nothin is talking about. With the account wide unlocks coming, switching isn't a big deal to me... but what about the server merges? Is it worth it to switch or will things get better?

I think once the proposed/teased lattice system gets put in place it'll boost the quality of battles significantly. Fights need to be funneled down a little more, right now once a zerg gets going they can kind of just roll over everything until they fan out too much and spread too thin, then the other side puts their own zerg together and does the same thing in the opposite direction.

I really need to get back into this game. I played a ton of it when it first came out, and then just didn't find too much of a reason to jump back in. All of these newer updates look like they'll make the game much more interesting to play.

MrBig

Sneak peek of new hex adjacency graph for Indar and a bit more!

Greetings Auraxians -

Many of you have requested that we take a serious look at the shortfalls of our territory control, influence and base connectivity in order to ensure we're routing players into great fights and encouraging a better overall battle flow. We've taken that feedback very seriously and have been working behind the scenes on a few different ideas to make that desire a reality, most of which have been inspired by ideas from the community - including this one that we're ultimately choosing to move forward with. Many of you probably saw a tweet that I sent out several days ago showing the first steps towards limiting the connectivity between regions. I'm going to share a bit more progress and talk a bit about what our plan is for this, answer a few FAQs and talk a bit about how and when you can help with this.

First of all, here's a complete map of Indar with the current prototype connectivity that we're working with.

hv7nMe0.jpg

more at the link

hv7nMe0.jpg

reWolab.jpg

What we're doing here, in a nutshell, is reducing the number of adjacent territories from an average of around 6 to an average of around 3. Smaller outposts will have 2-3 connections in general, larger "hub" regions will have 3-5. "But, why?" you may ask. We see several benefits to doing this which have also been brought up by many of your fellow players who are advocating for some of these changes:

This Lane / Corridor approach means that rather than 5 different targets you can attack next or fall back to when defeated, we've got a more limited set of locations to fall back to. This will hopefully encourage fights to progress more often from outpost to outpost instead of "dispersing" after a large battle as often happens today.

Defenders will have a better idea of what targets attackers will be gunning for next, that predictability should hopefully encourage more active defense of outposts and facilities, as well as allow for proactive deployment of combat engineering.

Tactical severing of supply lines and base benefits will be more feasible as well as more understandable.

Along with this change we'll be adding & experimenting with several other features to both support and augment the changes to base connectivity:

Making roads, bridges, etc follow the connectivity more logically than is displayed in the above map - this will involve changes to the connectivity above as well as some changes to Indar's layout.

You'll also notice that each of the 9 primary facilities are now surrounded by 3 regions that used to be the "Forward Spawn" outposts, those will be turning into full fledged outposts and will be the only connectivity to the facility "core", which we hope adds a bit more back-and-forth to facility capture.

Standardizing capture times - influence and # of players on the control point will no longer cause the capture time to fluxuate so defenders can have a better timebox to gather reinforcements or set up their next line of defense.

Making facilities which are under capture contention no longer provide adjacency for capturing other territories. If you are playing TR and own Xenotech Labs but it is being captured by the NC, you will not be able to use it's connection to to Crossroads to begin capturing Crossroads until you've secured Xenotech.

Enhancements to the Biolab and Amp station base benefits to make them WORTH cutting off.

Showing more info on the map including:
Generator status on facilities
SCU status on facilities
Friendly as well as enemy troop populations for each region
Capture progress and time remaining on the map (in addition to the region "tooltip")

Now, before you start posting "Why isn't X connected to Y, it's connected to Z but that looks dumb!", this is just a first pass on the connectivity, and our next step is getting this played by you guys so we can figure out if 2-3 is the right number of connections or if 3-4 is better, or maybe 1-2! We won't know until you guys get a chance to really PLAY IT. Now, this is still at least several weeks from going live... however...

Within the next week or so (fingers crossed!) we will launch our new Public Test Server. Once we have the Test Server up we will be putting this current iteration of the hex connectivity on there and asking you guys to come play it and let us know how it works. From there we will be making modifications, finalizing the plan for the Indar layout, integrating the other two continents into this flow, and iterating on the other features I mentioned above as well as tuning capture times, rewards, etc. We've been working on a plan to get a Public Test Server up and running for a while now and we'll have more details about how you can access the server as we get a bit closer.

As always, we're very interested in hearing feedback on this, positive, negative or neutral. We couldn't be making this game without you, our amazing community and your ideas and feedback.

Thank you, look forward to hearing the feedback on this system!

http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/...acency-graph-for-indar-and-a-bit-more.103900/

EDIT: Dammit MrBig, ninja'd while editing

Overall, good start. I think there's some outposts in there that kind of don't really have a good logical connection, and I think in some case they could straight-up cull the outpost or maybe just kill the connection points to it and leave it as a resource-only outpost or something. I could probably pick out at least a half-dozen outposts that are completely incapable of sustaining a fight because they're just so removed from anything important that taking them is just a chore done out of necessity. Like the bases in the far NE and NW behind Mao and Savura, respectively.

MrBig

Overall, good start. I think there's some outposts in there that kind of don't really have a good logical connection, and I think in some case they could straight-up cull the outpost or maybe just kill the connection points to it and leave it as a resource-only outpost or something. I could probably pick out at least a half-dozen outposts that are completely incapable of sustaining a fight because they're just so removed from anything important that taking them is just a chore done out of necessity. Like the bases in the far NE and NW behind Mao and Savura, respectively.

That's what the test server will be for, no need to to cut or re-design areas of the game just on an assumption. I'm sure there will be a lot of changes to the design once they actually get thousands of people playing on it

mr_nothin

Banned
My GOD
It's happening!!!! The next few weeks are going to be soooooo good. I just hate the fact that ppl on the ps2 forums are whining so much about not being able to hotdrop where ever they want and whenever they want to. Saying outfits instant actioning was actually tactical :|

I hate the ppl on the official forums so much :(
People are saying they're turning this into COD because they are making base capture more linear, wtf.

Top Bottom