• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale Beta Thread - Online as smooth as butter

KalBalboa

Banned
I'm digging Sweet Tooth, but I think the reason Kratos is seemingly over-powered is that everyone is immediately familiar with his fighting style. I mean, you even have that square, square, triangle combo right off the bat.

It's fun though- I can't wait to play some local games.

am i right to assume the full version will have some notice on what the score is at any given time? that's my one major complaint.

i wish they would also give us multiple options on how we want to play (a PSABR style super kills only, and then maybe a more traditional health meter or something?)

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Kratos is versatile, not overpowered. He's a beast in the right hands, but so are the other characters.

I've fought against some absolutely brutal Sweet Tooth's, Fat Princesses, Radecs, Kratos', and PaRappas. The only character that I really feel is OP and unbalanced is Sly. His Level 1 and Level 2 attacks are absurdly fast and effective at netting Sly at LEAST 3 kills when activated. His invisibility is also crazy effective, and his lightning roll is designed purely to troll you.

Overall, I think the game has some impressive balance, especially considering how vastly different the 6 characters are in terms of combat style. The game is in need of some tweaks for sure, but it has a really fun core. The Super mechanic works so much better in practice than it seems.

It really puts an level of important on kills and deaths compared to some other brawler games. When you whiff a super, man, that shit smarts. There is a cost to being sloppy in combat, and it "forces" you to play a lot smarter, especially when the other player has a Super ready, and you are at 0 and have to rebuild it.

It's frustrating to whiff a super, but when you can set some people up and execute it, it's such a satisfying feeling.

I want more impressions from newcomers though! Come on, guys! Share!

Fat Princess is amazing, I'm doing very well with her move set. Only other character I play better with is Radec, but it depends what mood I'm in if I want to use him or not (too much long range focused, fun but I like to get up close.)

evolution

The score is absent on purpose so the leader doesnt lame it out, and too prevent everyone from ganging up on the leader. The more you play you be able to just tell who the leader is anyway.

to the dude asking to game share the beta from me on psn: i already have 5 people attached to my account so i don't think i can attach another (it doesn't go by individual game). and secondly i'd have to give my account access to you.... and i don't know you! sorry broham

pantsmith

I love Parappa, but his level 1 is terrrrrrrrible.

So bad.

edit: Am I supposed to be using it off of a combo? I'll miss things right in front of me, which seems to defeat the point of a super close range attack. Every other character can net a kill with theirs, with little to no effort. Don't really understand what he's supposed to be balanced around.

Man

Just wondering if modern fighting games have character balances applied with patches post-release?

Class balancing is a total norm with Online RPG's and imho it would be very immature if this didn't become a standard for fighting games.

The first thing is noticed that I must critique on is that I feel there should be more war noises like grunts and yells. My other complaint is also related to sound. I think the music should be louder. That is all. Other than that, I love how powerful hits feel for any character. Oh ya, and sweet tooth is awesome!

I just got into the beta today, and I kind of dislike the game. It really bothers me that the only way to kill a dude is with a super move. I sorely miss ring outs and building damage; without them you lose instant team ups and betrayals. Instead, it's just hit everything forever until you become awesome. It's a bit dull. I do, however, like the transitioning stages. That's a fantastic idea. The online is great, too.

Got a beta invite by email yesterday and I was able to play for an hour last night. I played a bit of it at Comic Con so I knew what to expect gameplay wise. But I read from a lot of people here about the lack of lag online and seamless online playing during matches. I was a little skeptical it would work as great at my house because of my lame and slow DSL internet. In my past experience with other online games I usually have something happen to kick me off a game or a cause lag with the occasional hate message about my lag. But just like other people said it's buttery smooth online.

I'm loving the game so far, and the occasional no match found doesn't last too long so it's great. If you want to add:

cool_trainer / cool_trainer / USA

Just wondering if modern fighting games have character balances applied with patches post-release?

Class balancing is a total norm with Online RPG's and imho it would be very immature if this didn't become a standard for fighting games.
Yeah SSFIV:AE had a big balance patch a few months ago.

TheMink

The first thing is noticed that I must critique on is that I feel there should be more war noises like grunts and yells. My other complaint is also related to sound. I think the music should be louder. That is all. Other than that, I love how powerful hits feel for any character. Oh ya, and sweet tooth is awesome!

Worry not, the beta is bare bones.

They've said they will be doing plenty of post-release balancing, they have a system set of for super accurate stat tracking to see what's working and what's not, and they're able to change certain values (damage, health, etc.) on the back-end without having to issue a patch that needs to go through the certification process. Sounds like they're commited to making this an extremely balanced and refined game.

^^^^^^

cat-curse-you-villain.jpg

Also,
Is this still going out for North American users only?

Anyone?

I just checked my messages now and I saw that I got my first hatemail for this game. :D I dunno if I was using my main Sweet Tooth or my awesome Sly, though...

Loudninja

That's not what broken means in fighting game terms. Overpowered, ridiculous etc. Sweet Tooth gains meter extremely fast by using an extremely useful move. That's what's broken in his case.
He is no where near over power come on now.

Both his level 1 and level 2 gets 1 kill most of the time, they are easy to dodge and interrupt as well.

Penguin

Maybe my Net is wonky, but not getting the smooth as butter online experience.

Some of it is chalked up to being a beta of course like people dying and never returning to the game or returning like a minute later or whatever.

Then there's characters ghosting every where, and I don't mean Sly.

I'm kind of enjoying it. Still want to put more time into it.

One thing I wish, and probably not high up for anyone else. Is the ability to trigger diff Super levels. Like if I'm at level 2 may find it more practical to do two level ones instead of my level 2.. I know it doesn't make a lot of sense for some, but I think would be cool.

paskowitz

After trying each character out I still fall back to Radec. On every map except for the Jak&Daxter stage he is a tun of fun. All of his supers are good with lvl 1 being a bit hard to use. Level 2 is 2-3 kills easy. Level 3 super is 4 kills, 5 if you are lucky. His forward triangle and circle are just devastating at range. Then when the enemy gets close spam down circle and escape to the other end of the map. When the enemy is fighting in a group, below you down triangle can build meter retardedly quick. Both his up attacks are good combo starters. Besides his obvious lack of speed his only real weaknesses are he builds meter slowly and he does kinda suck at close range. If you can stay away from the main fight and stay at one end of the map he is devastating. When I loose it is because my opponents refused to let me be.

Copenap

Ok I still don't fully get this system. You can only kill with supers, right? So "how much" do I have to hit someone with a super? Is it something like level 1 super needs 3 consecutive hits and level 3 just one or how does this work?

TheMink

Ok I still don't fully get this system. You can only kill with supers, right? So "how much" do I have to hit someone with a super? Is it something like level 1 super needs 3 consecutive hits and level 3 just one or how does this work?

Nope, just make contact.

To those new:

See what's more successful: Using lots of Super 1's, or using a Super 3 + whatever you have left over in the time limit.

My problem is that Super 3's arent anywhere near as effective as Super 1s. Super 1's were supposed to be very hard, but they are a piece of cake (please!). My problem with this game, aside from Sly's Super 1, is that Super 1's and 2's are going to be universally superior to Super 3's.

To those new:

See what's more successful: Using lots of Super 1's, or using a Super 3 + whatever you have left over in the time limit.

My problem is that Super 3's arent anywhere near as effective as Super 1s. Super 1's were supposed to be very hard, but they are a piece of cake (please!). My problem with this game, aside from Sly's Super 1, is that Super 1's and 2's are going to be universally superior to Super 3's.

the only reason i use lvl 1 super is because right now people just stand there.. i used FP's lvl 1 just by casually walking over to them lol. i don't think i even bother with lvl 2 or 3. same goes for a few others. i kinda like radec because some people just are dumb and jump into the shock grenade and i hit them with a lvl 1 for funsies.

My feedback:

Sly:

- Drastically reduce Sly's Super 1 Range
- Remove the insta-kill of TOUCHING SLY during Super 2 (only the bomb should kill you)
- Make his Super 3 last 5s longer
-Invisibility cool down timer?

In general, his Super 1 should at max get 2 kills, his Super 2 should be able to get 3 kills, and his super 3 should net 5-7 kills

Parappa:

Seems fine to me, but his Super 3 doesn't feel worth getting because his super 2 gets the job done most of the time.
I dont like the idea of screen wipeout supers because looking Parappa and Heihachi, their Super 2's are just better. This should not be the case, it defeats the purpose

Sweet Tooth:

-Super 1 is way too easy to get, but seems to be balanced in terms of it being a relatively challenging super to land. But the real problem is that it's useless to use his other supers
-Super 2 should have a blast effect...maybe. I find his Super 2 is best used like Sly's 1-- in a group, insta pop it and it usually wipes out 2-3 players
-Super 3 needs to be 10s longer. Simply not worth it when you can string Super 1's much easier.

Kratos:

-Probably the best balanced in terms of supers, annoying as hell combos, but that's his trademark. Completely manageable

Super 1: very risky, can net 1-2 kills, rarely 3
Super 2: Vertical, requires a good opportunity, has good AoE to wipe out 2-3
Super 3: On most levels, this is a dealy 5-7 kill super.

THIS IS HOW SUPERS SHOULD WORK!!

Radec:

-Spam monkey, cowardly playstyle. Brilliant to use, a bitch to fight against if you're not careful
-Super 1 is generally fine, though I seem to have an easy time getting 2-3 kills half of the time
-Super 2 is fine as it is
-Super 3 needs to be 5-10s longer

This way, Super 1 can get maybe 2 kills, super 2 gets 3 kills, and Super 3 should get 6-8 kills IMO.

Fat Princess

-Dont have much XP with her
-Super 1 is worse than Sly's by a long shot. Sly's needs to be neutered to match this
-Super 2 is her best super, bar none. Much more effective than Parappa's and can net 4 kills, maybe 5. Reduce it by 5 seconds
-Super 3 is confusing as hell and seems way too luck based, absolute waste of time saving to this. No idea how to fix this, but it needs to be more powerful than Super 2.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Quote this post to reveal a hidden beta key. Post when you've redeemed it so other people know not to bother trying.

It's weird, Sony sends me beta keys for everything, even when I don't sign up. I'm somewhat interested in playing this game, but I know that I won't get around to playing the beta before it ends, this way it won't go to waste.

Top Bottom