• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | April 2015

Huh, that's a new one, it worked. Never seen that before, just figured it had to be the wonky store update.
I've heard of this fix many times, and I honestly think it has to do with Sony's wonky old database systems + the way they are read by the new systems. Good thing it worked though

Yeah seriously, the incompetence of their store staff knows no bounds in the US it seems.
All them kids waiting on the GCT... Ahaha.

51dRHJw.gif

All is going as intended.

Tapejara

Looks like we're getting Game of Thrones and Dragon Age sales this week. Plus discounts for Draon Age.

Edit: Dragon Age is the Spring Fever sale, GoT is the only new one. My mistake.

SerTapTap

I've heard of this fix many times, and I honestly think it has to do with Sony's wonky old database systems + the way they are read by the new systems. Good thing it worked though

Maybe. I activated the code on PC while the PS4 was running then went to library right away to download, maybe that confused it.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I wish we'd get Hatoful Boyfriend
and FFVII PS4
sooner. :/

SerTapTap

Oh cool, Omega Quintet has a permanent UI thing a la FFX's Sensor so elemental/status attacks aren't useless/a stupid guessing game like all too many other games. Wish more RPGs had this.

Any good horror games for the Vita? So far, I've played Home and Corpse Party.

Only Lone Survivor and PS1 classics come to mind. If you haven't, good opportunity to check out Silent Hill 1, Parasite Eve and Resident Evil though.

Tapejara

Dino Crisis is also pretty good. It's not really scary because dinosaurs, but I'm playing through it and it's definitely got that Resident Evil 1 vibe.

SerTapTap

Oh right, yeah Dino Crisis 1 is pretty solid too. IT can be tense but yeah it's a bit less horror. I would personally say Silent Hill is the best, Parasite Eve is on par but a very different type of game (it's an RPG after all), RE and Dino Crisis are good but not my favorite. Maybe skip RE1 too because REmake makes it look even worse than it already is. 2 and 3 are still good IMO.

Nudull

Banned
I've heard good things about Lone Survivor.
Lone Survivor, but that's about it.

I was afraid of that. I recently started to rediscover my love for horror games, and I've been wanting to dig into a lot that I haven't gotten to play. I do hope the Vita itself gets more survival-horror titles. :(

Anyone played the Silent Hill Vita game from a while back?

Have you played Silent Hill on PS1?

As a matter of fact, I'm playing through it right now. It's my first time playing a SH game, and I really enjoy it so far. I bought it on a different account, though, so I can't transfer it to my current Vita (don't have multiple memory sticks).

Depends.
Want to experience the whole series and go from the beginning? Ys 1&2.
Want to get the best game in the series with the tightest combat system? Ys Oath in Felghana.
Want to get something more traditional-rpgey with a whole battle party, more story and stuff? Seven or Celceta.
3, Oath in Felghana.

FYI Ys 1 and 2's 'combat' system is old style and won't sit well making them a questionable starting point.

Ys 3's combat is more 'approachable' and offers good challenge while still being a good action adventure RPG game, with a godly soundtrack.

Forgot to thank you and Tizoc earlier, bobohoro. Thank you! ^_^

Part of me wants to try out the series from the beginning, but I'm curious about Oath in Felghana. As much as I value story in an RPG, I want to have a fun battle system, too.

EDIT: Proper kudos for all. <3 VitaGAF

Tapejara

I played the demo (and surprisingly own both a digital and physical copy of the game, which I have yet to play), but it's more of a dungeon crawler than a horror game. Not really scary, but it could be fun in co-op/if you're a fan of the series.

I never played Book of Memories, since I heard it was a dungeon crawler with a Silent Hill skin. Origins and Shattered Memories are both decent Silent Hill games that are on PSP and compatible on Vita if you transfer them through a PS3.

999 (on DS) and Virtue's Last Reward are horror-esque.

Prelude.

I was afraid of that. I recently started to rediscover my love for horror games, and I've been wanting to dig into a lot that I haven't gotten to play. I do hope the Vita itself gets more survival-horror titles. :(
I assume you were talking about the PSP Corpse Party so yeah, Corpse Party Blood Drive is getting localized sometime in the future.

Steven from TVL's forums just tipped me to this;

http://forums.gunsupgame.com/forum/main-forum/109-big-questions#post197

Looks like Guns Up! is now PS4 only, no Vita
(or PS3).

From that link in response to the news:

gerneric123 commented
Today, 03:44 PM
Cool, now Sony has an out when they cancel the rest of their Vita lineup (if they haven't already).

*sigh* I feel the same way. Seems more and more recently that Sony is pretty much trying to bury the Vita. Its a damn shame (I have made enough comments on that).

autoduelist

The thing is we've read time and time again how easy it is to develop for the Vita, compared to other platforms, specially the PS3. The only excuse I get is that they're prioritizing other platforms first, except that as a Vita owner first and foremost, I take that, most of the times, as a middle finger to all Vita owners that don't own a PS4 or a PS3.

Just because it's 'easy to develop for' doesn't mean it's zero labor. And don't forget it's simply not as powerful as the PS4 (by a long shot) which changes everything.

For example, let's say I make a 2d platforming game. I toil away developing it for a year, and since it's not processor intensive my ps4 game hits 60fps out of the gate. I do some porting to vita, and lo and behold, I come to the realization that my code is a unoptimized pile of crappy code that chugs along at only 15-20fps on vita. While the PS4 is powerful enough to power through my wonky code and still perform, the vita actually is going to require optimization and skillful workarounds.

Now, that's sort of an oversimplification, but it's certainly one of the issues that needs to be dealt with. Or, here's another issue -- what if I'm simply loading all my levels into memory on the PS4 without the need to even think about memory constraints and everything's flawless (insta-restarts! etc), but i realize I simply don't have enough memory to load everything into memory on my vita without recoding an entire section of my game? What if I realize i need to totally rework how I load/process all my assets? What if having X enemies on the screen, which works flawlessly on the PS4, brings the vita to its knees? Millions of issues can come up.

Even if a system is easy to develop for, there are always roadblocks, -especially- when you're targeting multiple platforms.

And the reason they probably choose the PS4 as the primary when forced to chose is because ultimately, assuming both have equal dev tool sets, the one with more power and memory is going to be easier to develop for (less optimization, work arounds, etc).

Does it suck if the Vita is your primary device? Yup. But it makes total sense, and I wouldn't take it as a 'middle finger'... odds are if you ran a dev team making a game, you'd run into the same hard choices.

Massa

The thing is we've read time and time again how easy it is to develop for the Vita, compared to other platforms, specially the PS3. The only excuse I get is that they're prioritizing other platforms first, except that as a Vita owner first and foremost, I take that, most of the times, as a middle finger to all Vita owners that don't own a PS4 or a PS3.

The Vita is easier to use but it's not as powerful as a PS3. And most of these games are being ported from PS4, not PS3, so they simply require more optimization.

It's a bit dramatic to say it's a middle finger, most of these developers live on day to day paycheck and if the PS4 version is ready first sometimes they have to get that out.

Seriously, it's especially terrible how Sony is so stubborn about supporting their own product, and a damn good one at that. It's my current favorite handheld for RPGs, especially.

Sony's support is the reason we're getting these games on Vita at all, and the reason it's your current favorite handheld.

Sony's support is the reason we're getting these games on Vita at all, and the reason it's your current favorite handheld.

Really? Isnt it the likes of Atlus, XSEED, NISA, BAMCO, Aksys, Tecmo Koei and some others I am probably forgetting that we are getting Vita titles in Japan and in the US? Its certainly not because of Sony. I mean, they had hardly anything for Freedom Wars or Oresheika in terms of fan fare at their launches in the West. Hell, they forgot about Oresheika launching on the respective PS Store Update Blog post and had to be reminded by numerous folk in the comments section.

If by "Sony's support" you mean that Sony is allowing the Vita to still exist, then sure.

Wow. I don't think the store update on the blog has ever gone up this late. It's almost 10PM EDT.

There was a week where they missed the Tuesday night update and didnt end up getting the store up until late Wednesday, maybe Thursday. There is a reason its called Grace Chen Time.

Massa

Really? Isnt it the likes of Atlus, XSEED, NISA, BAMCO, Aksys, Tecmo Koei and some others I am probably forgetting that we are getting Vita titles in Japan and in the US? Its certainly not because of Sony. I mean, they had hardly anything for Freedom Wars or Oresheika in terms of fan fare at their launches in the West. Hell, they forgot about Oresheika launching on the respective PS Store Update Blog post and had to be reminded by numerous folk in the comments section.

If by "Sony's support" you mean that Sony is allowing the Vita to still exist, then sure.

Sony's third party relations group are the people convincing and paying publishers and developers to put out games for the Vita. In March alone I probably spent over 50 hours between OlliOlli2, Hotline Miami 2 and Flame Over and none of those games would have been on Vita without Sony's direct action.

Maid

Banned

If this is considered support then what Nintendo is doing for the WiiU must be charity.

Sony's support is the reason some games disappeared from the Vita.

Sony's third party relations group are the people convincing and paying publishers and developers to put out games for the Vita. In March alone I probably spent over 50 hours between OlliOlli2, Hotline Miami 2 and Flame Over and none of those games would have been on Vita without Sony's direct action.

Sony is doing the bare minimum to support the system. They're only investing in very very low risk (and thus low cost) ventures. If you actually think this translates to Sony actively supporting the system with any sort of vigor, you're incredibly naive.

Massa

If this is considered support then what Nintendo is doing for the WiiU must be charity.

Sony's support is the reason some games disappeared from the Vita.

I learned my lesson to not comment on Nintendo in this thread. :eek:

Sony is doing the bare minimum to support the system. They're only investing in very very low risk (and thus low cost) ventures. If you actually think this translates to Sony actively supporting the system with any sort of vigor, you're incredibly naive.

I think what's naive is expecting continued development of 20-40 million dollar budget games like those that were clearly and loudly rejected by the market. Nobody wants a B-tier Uncharted handheld game, that's the reality of it. In the mean time I keep playing my Vita a lot, and that's because people at Sony have worked to make those games happen on the Vita. Games that are financially viable on the platform.
I like that a game called Oreshika is a thing that actually exists and comes out in the west, and it was promoted on Sony events, was promoted on the blog, was promoted to media outlets, and was promoted on the web as well as the Vita storefronts. It was also promoted post release with another blog post and a demo release, which cost money to develop. I don't get hung up on the fact that it was a couple hours late on a blog post due to a human mistake.

I don't understand how people can really love a device and still think Sony "hates it". How do you think that device, and the games you love on it, came to be?

Shizuka

I think what's naive is expecting continued development of 20-40 million dollar budget games like those that were clearly and loudly rejected by the market.

Something that no one here mentioned. I don't think you got the point.

I think what's naive is expecting continued development of 20-40 million dollar budget games like those that were clearly and loudly rejected by the market. Nobody wants a B-tier Uncharted handheld game, that's the reality of it. In the mean time I keep playing my Vita a lot, and that's because people at Sony have worked to make those games happen on the Vita. Games that are financially viable on the platform.
I like that a game called Oreshika is a thing that actually exists and comes out in the west, and it was promoted on Sony events, was promoted on the blog, was promoted to media outlets, and was promoted on the web as well as the Vita storefronts. It was also promoted post release with another blog post and a demo release, which cost money to develop. I don't get hung up on the fact that it was a couple hours late on a blog post due to a human mistake.

I don't understand how people can really love a device and still think Sony "hates it". How do you think that device, and the games you love on it, came to be?
I certainly didn't say anything about Sony needing to make more games like Uncharted. I agree they're not financially viable. But that's not what we're talking about, so I have absolutely no fucking clue why you brought it up. What we're talking about is whether or not Sony supports the Vita to a degree that stating such is not questionable. They don't.

Massa

Something that no one here mentioned. I don't think you got the point.

I certainly didn't say anything about Sony needing to make more games like Uncharted. I agree they're not financially viable. But that's not what we're talking about, so I have absolutely no fucking clue why you brought it up. What we're talking about is whether or not Sony supports the Vita to a degree that stating such is not questionable. They don't.

Eh, Uncharted and the like are Sony's first party games. They're not on Vita because they're not viable on Vita, and people brought up first party Sony games, but that wasn't the point anyway. Forget about that part.

My point is that if you like the Vita and use the Vita then it's because it's being supported by its platform holder. If it weren't being supported you wouldn't be using the damn thing. Instead people are like "third party games delayed on the Vita? Sony hates the Vita! Third party games that I love are on the Vita? Well, it's not like Sony had anything to do with that!". The leap of logic is astounding.

Eh, Uncharted and the like are Sony's first party games. They're not on Vita because they're not viable on Vita, and people brought up first party Sony games, but that wasn't the point anyway. Forget about that part.

My point is that if you like the Vita and use the Vita then it's because it's being supported by its platform holder. If it weren't being supported you wouldn't be using the damn thing. Instead people are like "third party games delayed on the Vita? Sony hates the Vita! Third party games that I love are on the Vita? Well, it's not like Sony had anything to do with that!". The leap of logic is astounding.

Man, you must be super popular putting thoughts in peoples heads the way you do, huh?

On my shelf right now are 3 sony-published Vita titles. 1 of them I have never played and opened purely to humour baekshi, 1 is a platformer that I beat in under 10 hours, and 1 is a port of a PS2 trilogy. I own 16 physical Vita games.

Please make your case -- given the evidence provided -- how exactly Sony's support has determined my appreciation for the Vita?

**Before you make the case that the rest of my games are only on Vita because Sony payed them, save the conjecture for your college theory class.

IronLich

Really hard to make a decision...

I wanna get Bastion because I liked Transistor...

But I just played through Saints Row IV after the Saints Row sale, and now I want Gat Out of Hell

And even though Inquisition is at a fair price, I'm not really excited for a ginormigantic game right now, and MKX is out in a week, so that will take up a lot of my PS4 time.

It's really rough this week...

Massa

Man, you must be super popular putting thoughts in peoples heads the way you do, huh?

On my shelf right now are 3 sony-published Vita titles. 1 of them I have never played and opened purely to humour baekshi, 1 is a platformer that I beat in under 10 hours, and 1 is a port of a PS2 trilogy. I own 16 physical Vita games.

Please make your case -- given the evidence provided -- how exactly Sony's support has determined my appreciation for the Vita?

You figured me out.

lucid-dreaming-inception-totem.png

Third party games happen on a platform because the platform holder pushes to make them happen. That's what Nintendo historically failed at. There's a reason the Vita has more third party published downloadable games coming out for it than the Xbox One, a platform that's technically easier to develop for and far more popular in sales. They're not Sony published, and yet they happened on Vita because of Sony. That's their support.

Tapejara

Sony's Vita support (NA release schedule):

• Escape Plan
  • Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational
  • Frobisher Says!
  • Hustle Kings
  • LittleBigPlanet PS Vita
  • Little Deviants
  • MLB 12: The Show
  • Modnation Racers: Road Trip
  • Motorstorm RC
  • PlayStation All-Stars: Battle Royale
  • PulzAR
  • Reality Fighters
  • Resistance: Burning Skies
  • Smart As
  • Sound Shapes
  • Super Stardust Delta
  • Uncharted: Fight for Fortune
  • Uncharted: Golden Abyss
  • Unit 13
  • When Vikings Attack
  • WipEout 2048

• Bently's Hackpack
  • Doki-Doki Universe
  • Ecolibrium
  • Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two
  • Flow
  • Flower
  • Gravity Rush
  • Invizimals: The Resistance (EU Only)
  • Jak and Daxter Collection
  • Killzone: Mercenary
  • MLB 13: The Show
  • Open Me!
  • Pinball Heroes Complete
  • Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault
  • Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time
  • Soul Sacrifice
  • Tearaway

• Borderlands 2
  • CounterSpy
  • Dead Nation
  • Destiny of Spirits
  • Entwined
  • Freedom Wars
  • God of War Collection
  • Hohokum
  • Invizimals: The Alliance
  • Lemmings Touch
  • Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition
  • MLB 14: The Show
  • The Muppets Movie Adventures (EU Only)
  • Murasaki Baby
  • PlayStation Vita Pets
  • Ratchet & Clank Trilogy
  • Resogun
  • The Sly Collection
  • Soul Sacrifice Delta
  • The Unfinished Swan

• Grim Fandango: Remastered
  • Fat Princess: Fistful of Cake
  • Helldivers
  • MLB 15: The Show
  • Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines
  • Resident Evil: Revelations 2

While Sony has no doubt released plenty of Vita games, around the start of 2014 you can see them moving away from boxed titles. Retail releases like Soul Sacrifice Delta are released as digital titles, Sony starts to focus on smaller titles and ensuring that many of their PS4/PS3 titles also land on Vita. So while yes, Sony has supported the Vita, the problem is their type of support isn't enough to carry the platform.

Maid

Banned
Third party games happen on a platform because the platform holder pushes to make them happen. That's what Nintendo historically failed at. There's a reason the Vita has more third party published downloadable games coming out for it than the Xbox One, a platform that's technically easier to develop for and far more popular in sales. They're not Sony published, and yet they happened on Vita because of Sony. That's their support.

So every time I bought a 3rd party game on Vita, I should thank Sony instead? I guess it's not because of the install base actively buying the game for them, but because of Sony's support.

And clearly they shut down Destiny of Spirits because no one plays it.

Top Bottom