• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pocket Planes |OT| ...and don't call me Shirley (iOS, Universal) #GAFAIR crew

Look what this piece of shit in the TouchArcade forums had to say:
TopherW
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

So, should we all take a day off to give the 2nd and 3rd place team a chance?

It looks like the two groups should join forces then it would actually be a close battle. Right now, if they joined we would only be up by 573. Pretty impressive though that our score is higher than the next two teams combined.

Look what this piece of shit in the TouchArcade forums had to say:
TopherW
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

So, should we all take a day off to give the 2nd and 3rd place team a chance?

It looks like the two groups should join forces then it would actually be a close battle. Right now, if they joined we would only be up by 573. Pretty impressive though that our score is higher than the next two teams combined.

lol, I like how he pretends like toucharcade isn't by far the largest iOS community. what a shit stain.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Eeen is now on GAF

kWSgs.jpg

Glad to see the work i did offline paid off for the challenge. I did 100 missions while I was away from my wifi. (#10 for the group now) Not that it will make a big difference in the standings, but it's nice to see that it wasn't wasted.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I feel like it would be a good strategy if you have only 2 airports open, at maximum distance as possible, upgrade them so they have lots of jobs and just deliver between the two.

senador

Banned
I feel like it would be a good strategy if you have only 2 airports open, at maximum distance as possible, upgrade them so they have lots of jobs and just deliver between the two.

Maybe. Doesn't sound very fun to me though. I want lots of airports and planes, not to just get to the "top" fast.

avcables

Banned
Well, my game started to lock up randomly about 30 minutes ago. I would have to force quit the app to play. And then it would freeze again. I just upgraded to 1.02 and my save game is completely gone. R.I.P. level 13 and 514 jobs toward #GAFAIR.

Cautiously optimistic about the update fixing the crashing. Let me know if it seems to help people that were having issues.

My game is completely gone. I've played almost constantly since it launched in NZ, besides the few hours I sleep. Sigh. :(

Yeah, this does feel like it'd be the most profitable way to play, but you'd probably need a bunch of airports to cover a huge distance.

(Plus if you want to do all the events, you'll need loads of airports.)

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
こうしてその偉大な帝国が生まれた。

6NXa2.jpg

NimbleDave

Neo Member
Well, my game started to lock up randomly about 30 minutes ago. I would have to force quit the app to play. And then it would freeze again. I just upgraded to 1.02 and my save game is completely gone. R.I.P. level 13 and 514 jobs toward #GAFAIR.

My game is completely gone. I've played almost constantly since it launched in NZ, besides the few hours I sleep. Sigh. :(

Wow, I'm really sorry. The jobs towards the global event will still count. I can't reset your level but I can gift you a bunch of buxs to get you back going again if you still feel like starting over. Just send me your G: number on the settings screen of your game to dave@nimblebit.com if you want them.

avcables

Banned
Wow, I'm really sorry. The jobs towards the global event will still count. I can't reset your level but I can gift you a bunch of buxs to get you back going again if you still feel like starting over. Just send me your G: number on the settings screen of your game to dave@nimblebit.com if you want them.

Dave, you're doing such a great support job right now. I seen all the other people that you've helped so far. I'll take you up on the offer, which is greatly appreciated. I have never played an iOS game as much as Tiny Tower and now Pocket Planes. Truly grateful for what you guys bring to the table.

quick question! In the hanger there is a BUX sign next to the scrap and fly button what does this mean?

it cost a BUX to send a plane back into your fleet?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
So far I havent had any crashes loading the game from notifications. I had like a 90% crash rate pre-patch

2acfd1e2b71b11e1a39b1231381b7ba1_7.jpg

Let's use my current setup as an example!

Let's say I have 4 passengers in San Diego. 2 want to go to Mexico City, 2 want to go to Miami. Well, my plane won't reach Miami...BUT! It will reach Mexico City.

Let's also say I have 2 passengers in Miami that need to reach San Diego, but my plane won't reach it from Miami.

I can load my plane in San Diego with the 4 passengers and fly to Mexico City. In the mean time, I'll load the plane in Miami with the 2 wanting to hit San Diego.

Once the plane from San Diego arrives in Mexico City, I'll unload the passengers wanting to go to Miami and wait. After the plane from Miami arrives, I'll unload the passengers wanting to go to San Diego.

I can now put the passengers that wanted to go to Miami on the plane that just came there and get a layover bonus. The same goes for the ones wanting to go to San Diego.

While you may lose a little money in this example, you may also come out ahead. It just depends on the flights and the bonuses you build up.

The important things to note about layovers:

1) The passengers MUST unload from a plane at least once in their travels.

2a) The passengers CANNOT reload onto the same plane they arrived on and just head to their destination. They MUST make a plane switch.

2b) The passengers CAN, however, load onto the same plane IF it makes another trip and comes BACK to the layover location. Example: Plane A drops off passengers in Mexico City. The plane goes to Phoenix and returns back to Mexico City later. It can now take the passengers to Miami. All of this occurs on Plane A (whereas the example uses a Plane A and a Plane B).

Hopefully that clears some of it up.

Thanks for the explanation. But wont the passenger disappear that is on layover as the jobs refresh?? Or do they stay?? Why not just wait 5 mins for the jobs to refresh to fill up the plane for a trip??

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Thanks for the explanation. But wont the passenger disappear that is on layover as the jobs refresh?? Or do they stay?? Why not just wait 5 mins for the jobs to refresh to fill up the plane for a trip??

Layover passengers do not go away unless you tap the little red x by their name.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Okay, so what percentage is the bonus? Is it really worth the work?

I've only seen the bonus at 25%. The bonuses are worth it imo but I wouldn't make it a top priority, just something to think about as you plan routes. I think for this reason, I'm starting to do single airport routes so I can see what bitizens are there I can ship around. More micromanaging though

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Okay, so what percentage is the bonus? Is it really worth the work?

25% bonus is for when you bring all of the same passengers/cargo to one place. I thought you get a layover bonus as well?

Person wants to go from A -> C = $100
Layover at B, trip from B -> C = $110

Numbers are arbitrary, but I could have sworn this was the case...Maybe I'm making this up. :|

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Update went smooth and the game is playing fine (I didn't have any issues after the first day though, only one or two freezes but no cold crashes or data resets. iCloud was on from day one). Seems to be running smoother too, not sure if placebo. Backed up my data with iExplorer before updating, I don't know if it works in PP's case but better safe than sorry.

Hige

Just updated. I'm crossing my fingers my save doesn't get wiped. :( Got a flight path running from Moscow to Calgary now so I'm finally contributing to the mission!

I feel like this question has already been answered, but is there any reason to prioritize passengers/cargo that are heading to a Blue destination over a Gray destination?

Hige

Are you sure the layover in that picture isn't from a farther airport? You get more money from a slightly farther distance and I don't think my layovers ever went up in value.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Are you sure the layover in that picture isn't from a farther airport? You get more money from a slightly farther distance and I don't think my layovers ever went up in value.

Isn't this the point of a layover? You bring someone in from another airport to hop on another flight to go to their destination? That's what appears to be happening, but I guess I COULD be wrong. :)

Hige

Yeah, but I thought you meant an extra bonus for utilizing layovers in addition to the 25% bonus for combos. I just checked my game and a Moscow to Calgary passenger is worth 1193. I have a layover sitting in Goose Bay still worth 1193.

Layovers allow you to...

Increase the number of jobs available at a destination because they don't disappear when new jobs arrive. Increasing the number of jobs available makes it easier to fly optimally for your big planes. There is a cap on the number of layovers per location so that you can't abuse it.

Ensure that your big flights get the 25% bonus when matching people going to the same destination. It seems that the 'end game' is big planes moving lots of people/cargo across big distances and small planes making sure that your big planes are always running at optimal capacity.

As far as I can tell, there isn't a 'bonus' for layovers other than playing more optimally. The 25% bonus is for having cargo/people going to the same location.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Yeah, but I thought you meant an extra bonus for utilizing layovers in addition to the 25% bonus for combos. I just checked my game and a Moscow to Calgary passenger is worth 1193. I have a layover sitting in Goose Bay still worth 1193.

Are you sure you're looking at the values with a new plane? Those values are not with a 25% bonus...So I'm nearly positive you receive layover bonus.

I am really digging this game but I just feel like I am not making much money. I started in Japan, and have been only really using the bigger airports but I still feel like I am making money incredibly slowly.

I feel like I am missing an important part of this game.

Hige

Er, guys, I'm not as confused about layovers as it might seem. I just thought nicoga didn't understand the layover system which is why I posted in the first place. >_>

Top Bottom