• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pocket Planes |OT| ...and don't call me Shirley (iOS, Universal) #GAFAIR crew

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
For the new page: what level/what's the first plane that can do the trip London-NY directly? What range is needed?

Also, the rate 1 bux = 500 coins is seriously off, should be higher IMHO :/

scurker

Is there a trick to getting cloud sync to actually work? I have iCloud turned on both my iPhone and iPad, but I can not get my game to transfer over to my iPad and it's been well over 24 hours.

Also noticed a slight bug when renaming a plane. If you rename a plane while it's landing, the keyboard sticks and doesn't go away until you relaunch the app.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I think introducing in-team rewards (such as top 10 of every team get an extra 10% of the bucks that the team wins, e.g. Team wins 50 bux, 1-10 of that team get 55 or so) would be good, because it encourages people to play for a smaller team (where it's more realistic to be top10) and also some in-group competitions, which is always good ;) also maybe make in-group names visible, not just the ones from your friend list...

Gettin our asses handed to us is crushing, maybe we'd have better short term success. Another 3 day challenge would show the same results. I vote for a restructuring of the gifts and shortening the challenge time.

I think introducing in-team rewards (such as top 10 of every team get an extra 10% of the bucks that the team wins, e.g. Team wins 50 bux, 1-10 of that team get 55 or so) would be good, because it encourages people to play for a smaller team (where it's more realistic to be top10) and also some in-group competitions, which is always good ;) also maybe make in-group names visible, not just the ones from your friend list...

This is a great idea too. Building competition within the individual crews can only help strengthen and benefit our cause.

Nothing can fix greed, unfortunately. People want to be where they'll get the most benefit for themselves. I won't let it kill the enthusiasm for me as I'm grateful to be with a group that has managed to stay on the top five for so long. I'd stay even if we were at the very bottom and it was just, like, four people that were in the crew.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Btw, I'm not sure if this is related to my device/connection or if it's something related to the game's code, but since this is the first time I see it happening in any game I'm posting it here:

tV6zX.png

Happened every time I tried to rate the game today through the "scores" and "awards" sub-menus. Anyone else getting this error?

I think the best way to equalize the Flight Crew groups is to have a limit on the number of participants, whether it's 100, 500, 1000, whatever the number. This would also fix the problem of people switching to the leading team as the leading team would have no openings. That way no one will have a numbers advantage and it really becomes a fair fight as to who is making the most progress. If there are that many more Toucharcade members they would have to split themselves into multiple groups and compete amongst themselves but this would ultimately make the competition balanced.

C-Drive

Why don't they just limit group membership? Or since that's probably beyond the scope of the current setup on the game itself to say "That group is full", just use the top 200/500 shipments on the server side. Provide bonus bucks for those users who meet the requirement, that would create internal group competition and splinter off new groups easily.

I'm still GAFAIR all the way. No point in being a part of a group just to bail for the winning side.

EDIT: We are posting twins, bigkahuna.

Hey GAFAir. I'm half paying attention right now given we can't quite push for first anymore. And, not that I'm bragging or anything... But FIRST on GAFAir.

Mik2121

BTW, I would love to add all of you guys on GC to be able to compare stuff on the leaderboards and whatnot.

If you can, please add me: Mik2121

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
GafAir 4 Life.

I think a better model for competition would be some combination of both raw number of people, and percentage of users that highly participate. If 50 users each get 400 points, that should beat 500 users getting 50 points each. I don't know what that balance is, but that would stop and ruin people who simply join the winning team.

Nimblebit needs to either implement a better competition system, or put a cap on teams.

EDIT!!! I JUST thought of the perfect way to do it, so everyone should listen up: Allow for anyone to join any team, but only count the top 200 or so people's score. This way, you have people competing for that top spot, and raw numbers alone won't get you a win. IMPLEMENT THIS. IT'S PERFECT, DAMMIT.

I wish I could see the leader boards. I haven't seen them for 4+ hours. I was in 6th gaining on 5th last I check. Hopefully i'm still in the top ten.

Vilifier

Neo Member
Did my part for #GAFAIR, over 200 deliveries into Calgary. I think I did pretty well considering I did not start in NA.

Currently saving coins to get a head start at the next global challenge.

Mik2121

GafAir 4 Life.

I think a better model for competition would be some combination of both raw number of people, and percentage of users that highly participate. If 50 users each get 400 points, that should beat 500 users getting 50 points each. I don't know what that balance is, but that would stop and ruin people who simply join the winning team.

Nimblebit needs to either implement a better competition system, or put a cap on teams.

EDIT!!! I JUST thought of the perfect way to do it, so everyone should listen up: Allow for anyone to join any team, but only count the top 200 or so people's score. This way, you have people competing for that top spot, and raw numbers alone won't get you a win. IMPLEMENT THIS. IT'S PERFECT, DAMMIT.

Yeah, I'm all for that.

Then also have prizes within the whole leaderboard AND within the crew, so people have more reasons to be competitive.

Edit - Also thanks for all you guys adding me! Got 5 requests so fast :p

The only thing I can say to the developers is that I really hope they concentrate on growing the team aspect. It's really creative and if they can flesh it out and do some cool things, it could be a staple among the hardcores.

Meier

We will never, ever compete with bigger forums. It's not gonna happen. Top 10 reward is great, who cares about getting #1? Support your forum, show team spirit!

I'd hate to see some of you as sports fans.

Row

Banned
it's a bit too lax of a system where even with just 1.5hrs left you can change to TA, pop out 5 deliveries, and voila 100 bux

Mik2121

They should make it so that you can only change during the first day of any given event.. then we don't have people moving to another crew near the end.

Though I guess a lot of people moved already to TA and they'll be staying there. Oh well :p

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
^ went to take a pic too and just noticed that mine looks like a fish right now.

Dg7T0.png

edit: hmm, I need to get some 4 seats.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Should I be concerned that I don't have a red city yet?
Better/further traveling planes will require it.. I'm not sure how you can sustain yourself on such a little area for so long without expansion. Also makes things much easier to maintain as you have to check less often etc.

I'm not sure how you've sustained with such a small piece of area covered actually but your higher level and have more cash on reserve than me so I can't say much :lol

one_kill

So I just started playing this game yesterday and I was wondering:
- Can I upgrade planes to carry more people/cargo? If so, how?
- I've only been travelling to three cities in Australia. Will I be able to go to other places once I've progressed more through the game?

Also, when does the crew thing finish (that is, when are rewards allocated)?

Row

Banned
- I've only been travelling to three cities in Australia. Will I be able to go to other places once I've progressed more through the game?

you can't change a planes capacity, only its fuel, speed, and range

you can go wherever you want, you can buy an airport on the other side of the world if you want, you don't have to wait

Mik2121

You can't upgrade planes to carry more people or cargo. You can upgrade them to be faster or lighter though.

You can go anywhere in the world given that you have bought said airports and have planes that can reach those distances.

The crew thing finishes in 1 hour, but you won't get anything unless you have at least 5 points in there. At least that's what I've heard around here.

GeoGonzo

I JUST thought of the perfect way to do it, so everyone should listen up: Allow for anyone to join any team, but only count the top 200 or so people's score. This way, you have people competing for that top spot, and raw numbers alone won't get you a win. IMPLEMENT THIS. IT'S PERFECT, DAMMIT.

I mostly like this. I think that the perfect system would be something like that, with a small change:

-Anyone can join any Flight Crew
-A Flight Crew's score is the sum of the highest 100 scores
-You need to be part of a Flight Crew's top 200 to be elegible for a reward
-Ideally, the game would track the current ammount of delieveries needed for that.

The benefits of this system would be:

A) Huge Flight Crew's would still have the best scores, but you wouldn't be able to leech their reward by joining a large group and doing nothing.
B) It would probably incentivate huge communities to create additional FCs, leading to a more balanced leaderboard.
C) Not terribly different from the current system and hopefully not too hard to implement?

For the record I'll say that this change would probably hurt GafAir much more than TouchArcade (iOS isn't really our thing), and we may lose even the top10 spot as medium-sized but dedicated communities start showing up in the leaderboards... but it is the best change I can think for the game in order to avoid "lol lets all join the top FC and rake in the dought"

That said:
GafAir 4 Life.
Hear, hear!

Better/further traveling planes will require it.. I'm not sure how you can sustain yourself on such a little area for so long without expansion. Also makes things much easier to maintain as you have to check less often etc.

I'm not sure how you've sustained with such a small piece of area covered actually but your higher level and have more cash on reserve than me so I can't say much :lol
Yeah. Not sure if I'm doing it right. I seem to be doing ok purely by swarming. 13 active cities, 13 planes, all 3/4 class 1 capacity.

Top Bottom