• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PMS341

Well folks, Grimer glitch is still intact. Fed up, I had a buddy sign into my account on his phone just to finally catch it and get the Dex entry... big mistake I think. It freezes not only if I click Grimer, but any Pokemon next to it as well. Gotta be careful with that I suppose.

DrkSage

Finally get 150 dratini candy to evolve my 43/45 iv dratini... Dragonite with steel wing......

This is why we can't have nice things

jelmerjt

Finally get 150 dratini candy to evolve my 43/45 iv dratini... Dragonite with steel wing......

This is why we can't have nice things

Hyper Beam too?

7a795755a38fc999f04a38cf847872a3e509ff7f_hq.gif

zroid

Banned
aw yeah I tracked down a slowpoke using the triangulation method. feels good man.

also while I was walking, I FINALLY hatched something worthwhile from a 2km egg. A squirtle! and its IVs seem pretty good, certainly better than the Wartortle I caught in the wild, which I was contemplating evolving.

kaister

Co-worker said there is a Snorlax spawned 3 blocks from our office with more then 10mins on the clock. We went there and he his catch is 1208cp and I got this. This is my 3rd Snorlax....and I challenge anyone who can caught a lower CP then mines...:p

Challenge accepted. lol

zWYXKJk.png

border

What Pokemon is a good counter to Marowhack? I am trying to train up a gym with a 525 Marowhack as the trainer, but he keeps murdering my 490 Bulbasaur with Dig. Bulby's even got Vine Whip/Power Whip, but if the Marowhack gets off Dig he goes down almost instantly -- 60% damage or more.

Zomba13

God fucking damnit. I pop on just to see if anything is around my home and in the nearby is a Squirtle which I've never seen before. Around my area are 3 circles and there are only 3 listed nearby EXCEPT NO POKEMON MODELS ARE LOADING. None in the gym, none from my list, none around me. And now the fucker is gone (both the circle which had to have been it, and the listing in sightings). Fuck. Second time this shit has happened to me. Why don't they show up? Why is it just empty circles that I can't select?

Dishwalla

Banned
@Snkfanatic another Blastoise spawned this evening in downtown Norfolk, over on the docks across from the PETA building. We all chased it down, and it turns out it was behind a locked gate. If we were able to get maybe ten feet closer we probably would've been able to get it to pop. A couple people were toying with jumping the barb wired gate but as far as I saw no one did it.

Other than that got some good stuff tonight. Got a bunch more Magikarps, not too many more to a Gyarados. A Porygon spawned at the sailor statue by the Wisconsin, a Growlithe and Dratini spawned right at the Wisco/Nauticus, and a couple Clefairys were in the park. Also on the way back home a Primeape spawned right at the end of the bridge by the Hague Towers. Although I didn't get that Blastoise it was still a decent night.

MANUELF

Banned
Well folks, Grimer glitch is still intact. Fed up, I had a buddy sign into my account on his phone just to finally catch it and get the Dex entry... big mistake I think. It freezes not only if I click Grimer, but any Pokemon next to it as well. Gotta be careful with that I suppose.
I almost couldnt caught it because my game would freeze befofe its model appeared on the map and then it freezed again while looking at its moves, luckily it doesnt affect nearby pokemon

eek5

why not have your friend log in and release it?

I don't know what was going on today... twenty minutes of incense and lucky egg on, and EVERY Pokemon except like four, no matter what I did (berry, great ball, etc..) broke out on the second wobble and ran away immediately. I've never seen anything like it before. 20+ Pokemon just straight-up stole my resources and ran. Is it a bug? It made me so mad.

No, you're not quite reading the graph correctly. The lower the catch rate, the closer ultra/great balls come to multiplying the catch rate by 2/1.5 respectively. The higher the starting catch rate gets, the lower the benefit.

I mean, I get that. What I'm saying is that for extremely rare pokemon, your initial chance is already so low that doubling it means very little. A 1.5% chance of catching a pokemon normally would then lead to a 3% chance via an ultra ball. So 97 out of 100 throw chances with an ultra ball on that specific pokemon are still going to fail, versus 99 out of 100. Given how rare ultra balls are, and given how few throws you're likely to make before a pokemon runs or you give up, it just doesn't seem worth using up your ultra balls for the rarest of the rare. You have about as good a chance with a pokeball as you do with an ultra ball; what good does that extra 1.5% do for you, really? Is it a perceptible difference? How many Dragonites and Snorlaxes and what have yous would you have to run into before you finally started to see a real return in terms of a) number of successful catches with an ultra ball versus a pokeball, or b) how many wasted ultra balls versus pokeballs?

I could still be very wrong about this, of course, and that 1.5% difference really does have a real impact. But it kind of seems to me like the sweet spot for ultra ball use is in the orange-yellow range, where you still get close to a 200% catch rate, but now that means a 45% chance instead of a 25% chance on any given throw.

pringles

I mean, I get that. What I'm saying is that for extremely rare pokemon, your initial chance is already so low that doubling it means very little. A 1.5% chance of catching a pokemon normally would then lead to a 3% chance via an ultra ball. So 97 out of 100 throw chances with an ultra ball on that specific pokemon are still going to fail, versus 99 out of 100. Given how rare ultra balls are, and given how few throws you're likely to make before a pokemon runs or you give up, it just doesn't seem worth using up your ultra balls for the rarest of the rare. You have about as good a chance with a pokeball as you do with an ultra ball; what good does that extra 1.5% do for you, really? Is it a perceptible difference? How many Dragonites and Snorlaxes and what have yous would you have to run into before you finally started to see a real return in terms of a) number of successful catches with an ultra ball versus a pokeball, or b) how many wasted ultra balls versus pokeballs?

I could still be very wrong about this, of course, and that 1.5% difference really does have a real impact. But it kind of seems to me like the sweet spot for ultra ball use is in the orange-yellow range, where you still get close to a 200% catch rate, but now that means a 45% chance instead of a 25% chance on any given throw.
I doubt there's any pokemon with a 1.5% catch rate though. The way it works makes sense.

ReyBrujo

Gold Member
Did they update the tracker again? On the map i see circles pulsating on the map.

Course I've walked there and no Pokemon show up - maybe it's a repalcement for the popping leaves?
My nephew had those instead of the leaves, I think it was a bug. By the way, I haven't seen the popping leaves in a week or so.

Just got off the bus two blocks away from home, suddenly the Snorlax shadow appears. I remember about the Reddit post, so I walk one way til the shadow disappears, then go backwards, and realize it's just 100 away from the first point. It's either two blocks away, either home's or opposite's way. Decide to go opposite, but the shadow isn't there. Going home, the shadow isn't there anymore. Meh. Take a bath, prepare dinner, turn the phone on again, and there's the shadow again. While wondering if it's worth leaving home at 11:30 PM to find it, it spawns next to me, where pokemon pop up in my block.

First Snorlax in, 586, IV 69%-82% range with lick and earthquake. Probably worth having to grind prestige in gyms.

By the way, I find beedrill the hardest pokemon to catch. I usually waste dozens of balls and berries until I either give up or catch it. Today, I wasted a dozen ultra balls and a couple dozen common balls til I caught it with the first great ball I threw.

JavyOO7

Some light suggestions I had for the game as I just opened it up:

- more variety in music would be great. Even if the one that plays all the time is pretty nice.
- If I don't have gyms in my area it'd be nice if I can fight my own Pokemon. Or maybe instead of capturing wild Pokemon you can just fight them and the conclusion would be XP/Stardust/whatever and not capturing them? I dunno.
- Fighting your friends locally would be great too.
- having a 'berry' button as I'm trying to capture a Pokemon would be great. Save me clicks, please... =p
- A tauros in South Florida would be nice. Unless I'm looking in the wrong places... /crickets
- Oh yeah, another thing. Ingress has that page where you can see portals. I hope Niantic finds a way to fit with the theme of the game to show us all the Pokestops and gyms in our areas.

deanote666

Had a Wartortle pop out of 5-6 berried ultra balls, some were curve balls. One was a nice. Changed to a berried great ball and got it first try. 720 CP and a bad evaluation from my team leader.

And this was on the same spot I found a Squirtle earlier today. Ran on the first berried ultra ball.

ReyBrujo

Gold Member
After Niantic released Ingress, they began collecting lots of feedback from their players. Out of all of them, maybe 5% made it into the game, the rest was added to their new game, Endgame, for which books were released. It included everything that couldn't be implemented in Ingress (12 factions, PvP, specialization, etc). But the game is nowhere to be seen. Now with Pokemon I am afraid they are restricted by Nintendo policies, so a few things I don't see being implemented in the game. For example, a COMM-like interface for real-time chatting. Also, I'm guessing you'll have to exchange friend codes or similar in order to be able to PvP or even trade with someone. Or maybe they will just create a hub similar to Diamond/Pearl where you could upload your pokemon and specified what you wanted, and if someone agreed the exchanged was made.

There's room for improvement, but I wonder how much they will be allowed to add to the game.

After Niantic released Ingress, they began collecting lots of feedback from their players. Out of all of them, maybe 5% made it into the game, the rest was added to their new game, Endgame, for which books were released. It included everything that couldn't be implemented in Ingress (12 factions, PvP, specialization, etc). But the game is nowhere to be seen. Now with Pokemon I am afraid they are restricted by Nintendo policies, so a few things I don't see being implemented in the game. For example, a COMM-like interface for real-time chatting. Also, I'm guessing you'll have to exchange friend codes or similar in order to be able to PvP or even trade with someone. Or maybe they will just create a hub similar to Diamond/Pearl where you could upload your pokemon and specified what you wanted, and if someone agreed the exchanged was made.

There's room for improvement, but I wonder how much they will be allowed to add to the game.

Uhhh... correct me if I'm wrong but at my understanding Nintendo doesn't have anything to do with the game development. They just worked in the Pokemon Go Plus thingie.

ReyBrujo

Gold Member
Bamboo 竹;214905255 said:
Uhhh... correct me if I'm wrong but at my understanding Nintendo doesn't have anything to do with the game development. They just worked in the Pokemon Go Plus thingie.
Nintendo, Pokemon Company, etc. They probably have set certain parameters that must be respected, and I'm worried that those parameters would prevent certain features from being implemented.

Posting my idea from reddit here.

I don't know if someone has brought this idea up or not but I was thinking what if there was an option to ask your gym leader what Pokemon are common around you? Or Maybe they can tell you what has been spotted around the area you are in. I would think like a 3 hour cool down on it so you can't spam it.

How I picture it working. (Sorry I have no photoshop skills so I can't make a picture to show it sadly.) So lets say when you open the sightings box that the text "sightings" is clickable and your Gym Leader pops up saying hi and what not. Mentions the Pokemon in the sighting box currently if you have them in your pokedex and will encourage you to go look for any silhouettes you don't have. After that they mention "Oh this uncommon or rare Pokemon has been sighted around here keep an eye out!" and they show a silhouette if you never seen it before and will say what Pokemon it is if you have seen it before.

I think it would help a little with keeping people excited to play and hope to see something new you know?

zroid

Banned
Nintendo, Pokemon Company, etc. They probably have set certain parameters that must be respected, and I'm worried that those parameters would prevent certain features from being implemented.

You can't rule anything out, especially with the uber-protective Pokémon Company, but your worries seem pretty unfounded IMO

ReyBrujo

Gold Member
You can't rule anything out, especially with the uber-protective Pokémon Company, but your worries seem pretty unfounded IMO
It's just my way of expecting Niantic to do no more than what's required to keep the game running based on what they did with Ingress: add a few new items, tweak balance, host events and sell related memorabilia both physically and digitally, eventually add new medals and levels. The only real addition was missions, and they are pretty basic.

zroid

Banned
It's just my way of expecting Niantic to do no more than what's required to keep the game running based on what they did with Ingress: add a few new items, tweak balance, host events and sell related memorabilia both physically and digitally, eventually add new medals and levels. The only real addition was missions, and they are pretty basic.

Sure, but the userbase and revenue potential here is on a completely different scale

not updating this game regularly is like throwing away money

zulux21

my new thoughts.
250 coins
24 cooldown
Nuke.

drive out all current pokemon from a gym making it neutral again.

to many gyms are to built up around me, and the ones that aren't asshats wait and just snipe when you take it down :/

I dont know why they dont already, what is the point of those achievements? You dont get anything for them and you cant even share them with your friends

Yup. There's literally no purpose for them other than I guess "oh shiny!" and providing some random stats like "number of tiny Rattata caught". The achievements themselves aren't particularly interesting either. The current implementation seems like it would be built around rewards (tiers for each medal, and all medals are cumulative) too, so I don't really get it.

Radec

I got enough magikarp candies to evolve inti gyrados, but can I powerup magikarp first into a decent CP before I evolve him so that Gyrados will get better?

The highest magikarp I have is only cp133

GulAtiCa

I have an 85% Exeggcute ready to evolve. Will be my 1st too. Only problem... Is that it's CP is 209... Lol.

Maybe I'll hatch a high IV one or catch another soon. I'd probably wait.

I'm also close to getting all the Gastly candies to get a Gengar. At 100 now.

Biske

my new thoughts.
250 coins
24 cooldown
Nuke.

drive out all current pokemon from a gym making it neutral again.

to many gyms are to built up around me, and the ones that aren't asshats wait and just snipe when you take it down :/

Recently the near by gyms I used to go and battle have all become Level 9/10 gyms.

Which when you are both trying to battle them down or level them up, just a huge huge waste of resources. So.... there goes the gym game.

ReyBrujo

Gold Member
The only reason old Ingress players are trying Pokemon is because Ingress is at a stalemate. I've over 170m AP (L16 cap is at 40m) and other than trying to get onyx medals in the different statistics, we have no motivations to continue.

It's nice that they corrected in Pokemon Go the biggest mistake they did with Ingress: only two factions. Unfortunately, it would look as if Team Instinct isn't actually getting a third of the participants, making them hardly a balance changer. But even then, it's much better than in Ingress.

By the way, some Pokemon Go medals are laughable. But I guess they're aimed at casual players instead of hardcore ones.

Finally, I hope they add PvP, even if friend codes are required, that would open so many possibilities for fan-created events (just as trading would for rewards). If there's something Ingress is strong at is at them.

(Edited: Yesterday I took down my first L10 gym. Took me an hour, and fortunately it wasn't built to last, a player got it in range from his house and spends the whole night pumping it up. Pinsir x 2, Golduck, Flareon, Slowbro, Exeggutor, Vaporeon x 2, Gyarados).

(Edited x 2: Fortunately I can earn pokecoins, between 30-50 on weekdays before going to work, and up to 90 on weekends)

Yrael

I got enough magikarp candies to evolve inti gyrados, but can I powerup magikarp first into a decent CP before I evolve him so that Gyrados will get better?

The highest magikarp I have is only cp133

I'd recommend not doing that. It doesn't matter if you power them up before or after evolving them - they'll end up with the same CP. Further, there's the distinct possibility that your Gyarados will end up with a terrible moveset (Twister, ugh), in which case you might prefer to start from scratch instead of investing more candy and star dust.

Radec

I'd recommend not doing that. It doesn't matter if you power them up before or after evolving them - they'll end up with the same CP. Further, there's the distinct possibility that your Gyarados will end up with a terrible moveset (Twister, ugh), in which case you might prefer to start from scratch instead of investing more candy and star dust.

Ahh i see.

So is it better to just evolve it and try my luck?

Dishwalla

Banned
Yeah that's the thing about Gyarados is first of all it takes you forever to get to the point, and I've never seen a Magikarp over 200 CP. Think your best bet is hoping one pops up in the wild.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom