• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Red, Blue, Yellow Eshop Release |OT| This Gym is Great! It’s Full of Women!

Kinokou

Finally got to cerulean and I can finally start catching some pokemon I want! Stuffing Pikachu in the PC I now have access to Bulbasaur (Azalea) and the soon to be caught Venonat (Clematis, probably) to replace the Butterfree I have for catching Abra, A mew (Ion) and a Staryu who I haven't chosen a name for yet. Then I will only be missing Diglett and may pick up something else to replace Mankey (Pummel) down the road.

Wise choice. Fire pokemon are surprisingly useless in this game. Never realized it when I was a kid. I'm currently raising a growlithe on my team for my 6th slot, but I don't even need it. It's just for fun. My other 5 pokemon will be able to handle every gym and the elite 4 on their own.
Yeah. Just in terms of coverage, all you really need for your endgame team in Gen I is Water, Ice, Flying, Psychic and Electric and that takes care of every E4 Pokemon and all of Gary's except for Alakazam (so bonus points if you have a Jolteon that knows Pin Missile). Sixth slot can just be for funsies.

Owari

Wow. I'm pretty disappointed. The English games can't trade or battle with their Japanese counterparts.

This sucks. I thought we were past this. Nintendo.

wheapon

Wow. I'm pretty disappointed. The English games can't trade or battle with their Japanese counterparts.

Unless I'm mistaken the issue is that the Western releases cannot display the kana from the Japanese names so they are incompatible. Short of reprogramming the game I'm not sure they can get around that.

Kyzer

Banned
This might sound crazy, but this game makes me wish they made EVs more like Gen 1/2 in the new games but for single player only. Maybe through an item or something.

backlot

This might sound crazy, but this game makes me wish they made EVs more like Gen 1/2 in the new games but for single player only. Maybe through an item or something.

What do you find more appealing about the old system for single player? You probably won't even max out the EVs for most of your Pokemon in a modern single player campaign.

I takes 300 battles or more to max stats for a single Pokemon though. I wonder if Exp. Share shares stat exp.

Man, I can't believe how crappy some of my beloved Pokemon are, using them now 20 years later.

Only 1 flying attack in the game IIRC.

Only 1 dragon attack in the game, and it does a set 40dmg.

Movesets back in the day sucked, and the whole TMs being a 1 time use didn't make it much better.

Vuapol

Question: If you teach a Pokémon an HM move, they are stuck with it, right? No move deleted? And would this impact their ability to get transferred into the Pokémon Bank? (Never used it, I'll probably get it when Sun and Moon launch)

Movesets back in the day sucked, and the whole TMs being a 1 time use didn't make it much better.

Wing Attack, Fly, Sky Attack of the top of my head.

I checked Grimer's level up pool once to see if I could use it on a playthrough:

Pound, Disable, Poison Gas, Minimize, Sludge(lvl 37...), Harden, Screech, Acid Armor

I did not use Grimer on a playthrough.

Owari

Unless I'm mistaken the issue is that the Western releases cannot display the kana from the Japanese names so they are incompatible. Short of reprogramming the game I'm not sure they can get around that.
It worked on the Gameboy, it was just a glitchy mess. They already did reprogram the game to add the wireless link, as well as legitimizing all previous glitches. (No save data corruption) Adding kana to the English releases and English to the Japanese releases wouldn't even be necessary. They could just have it use whichever character it would be in the same spot on the "keyboard"... This is a huge mistake by Nintendo. They should want people from different regions playing together instead of separating everyone like this. Region Lock will ruin them if they keep it up.

Just passed Lt. Surge and my team is Geodude, Charmeleon, Ivysaur, Butterfree, Mankey, Oddish (HMs) and good lord are all of them terrible except Butterfree and I don't even like Butterfree, Confusion is just too valuable.

Oh well, the game is still not that difficult despite being 5-6 levels under the gym leaders. The battles just seem to drag.

Can I go talk to the police lady and get my Squirtle now?

backlot

I'm thinking about teaching my Gyarados Water Gun, I'm at the Mt. Moon.

Yes or no?

Water Gun will be quickly outclassed by the Bubblebeam TM and later the Surf HM. No reason not to use it right away because you're at the only point in the game where it will be relevant.

Theorymon

I messed around with 8F some more to hold me over for the Nintendo Direct and to take a break from the ORAS breeding rush I've been through today.

I decided to get the strange glitch Pokemon, O! http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/O_(glitch_Pok%C3%A9mon)

Yeah, looks like Magnemite, but the weird thing is just how many mons it evolves into!

I used 252 Repels to get this mofo, since thats its index number!

WVW69i9NjZM2Rq9I9x

(The weird name is for getting Venusaur, Wartortle, and Mewtwo at Cinnabar at level 230)

WVW69i9NkJQLyO7RA6

Here's O attempting to evolve into Cubone at levle 6

WVW69i9Nk68Xpejgsg

Here's O trying to evolve into Nidoran Male at level 16. Supposedly, it can also evolve into an Arcanine, but it never did for me.

WVW69i9NnN0xay4D3j

I settled on letting it evolve into Slowpoke. Weird thing not pictured (because I pushed B too soon): After this, it attempted to evolve again, this time turning into a Magikarp, and attempting to evolve into Nidoran AGAIN o_O. I backed out, and it turned back into a Slowpoke. Glitchmons are weird man!

Can't wait to get some other weird, not too harmful glitchmons with 8F!

eefara

Question: If you teach a Pokémon an HM move, they are stuck with it, right? No move deleted? And would this impact their ability to get transferred into the Pokémon Bank? (Never used it, I'll probably get it when Sun and Moon launch)

Oh shoot, I didn't think of that. D: Surely Nintendo will think of a way to get around that; way too many people are gonna have HMs on their main teams because of how tedious is it to switch in/out. Plus some of those HMs are actually useful as moves, considering the limited movepool...

Junahu

Pokemon Bank doesn't care about your HMs, it will probably let you transfer your only surf user, while on Cinnebar Island.

The hall of fame squad

WVW69i9O5T8rlaZmoj

Lazzy - Charizard 47 (Cut)
Elvis - Nidoking 39 (Strength/Surf)
El Tigre - Persian 41
Sparkster - Jolteon 48
Dood - Dodrio 45 (Fly)
Borealis - Articuno

...just like I said. Other than Dodrio, who replaced Fearow because Dodrio is just a straight upgrade.
I'm already planning my hall of fame team.

Charizard
Persian (Cut)
Fearow (Fly)
Nidoking (Surf, Strength)
Jolteon
Maybe Articuno?

And some filler Pokemon, Butterfree or something, to use Flash in the parts where it's needed.

4/6 of those can be gotten early game and carried through the entire game. Articuno will be annoying to get. Jolteon is easy to get, I've never used an Eevee evolution, and so I'd like to try it out.

Pro tip from Agatha: Use Hyponosis twice, both times missing, get fed up and just skip it and jump right to Dream Eater. Sure fire plan to win!

I've conquered the Elite 4 with what is truly my most deserving team of all time...

Primeape Lvl 45
Nidoking Lvl 44
Hypno Lvl 44
Dodrio Lvl 45
Articuno Lvl 51
Kingler the HM Slave Lvl 30
Fighting opponents in the upper fifties and lower sixties and still coming out on top.
And to once again confirm just how open this game is, I never even went down the route from Lavender to Fuchsia.

This was a lot more fun to revisit than I ever expected I've gotta say.

Gsnap

I've conquered the Elite 4 with what is truly my most deserving team of all time...

Primeape Lvl 45
Nidoking Lvl 44
Hypno Lvl 44
Dodrio Lvl 45
Articuno Lvl 51
Kingler the HM Slave Lvl 30
Fighting opponents in the upper fifties and lower sixties and still coming out on top.
And to once again confirm just how open this game is, I never even went down the route from Lavender to Fuchsia.

This was a lot more fun to revisit than I ever expected I've gotta say.

This just reminded me that I haven't gone down the ocean route from fuchsia to cinnabar. I flew to pallet down and surfed to cinnabar so I could get there faster and get my growlithe. That's good. I was worried I was running out of trainers to battle, but I've still got the entire ocean to mow my way through.

I forgot you could even go from Fuschia to Cinnabar.

I just have been flying to Pallet and surfing directly south, forever. I don't even know what the route to Cinnabar from Fuschia even looks like

I never got the point of Lavender to Fuchsia either, other than I guess if you missed the bike? It's such a long route with tons of trainers on it, while Cycling Road is quick and only has a few trainers.

I just have been flying to Pallet and surfing directly south, forever. I don't even know what the route to Cinnabar from Fuschia even looks like

I never got the point of Lavender to Fuchsia either, other than I guess if you missed the bike? It's such a long route with tons of trainers on it, while Cycling Road is quick and only has a few trainers.
Because you get the poke flute in lavander town. I'm glad both routes exist.

Got to Lavender Town and this has been my order of things since:

Fought some trainers to the left of Lavender Town.
Went to Celadon for Ice Beam for my Wartortle.
Went to Saffron to buy Full Heals and Hyper Potions (don't know why they aren't at Celadon).
Picked up Psychic to teach to Mr. Mime.
Did Fighting Dojo to level my Mr. Mime.

Currently working on Celadon gym to level my Charmeleon as I don't have someone who can learn Fly until Charizard and also so I can level my Mr. Mime more without it disobeying me.

Junahu

How can I make an awesome Mew, what moves can I teach it?
Mew learns any TM, along with Transform and Psychic by level up.

If you want to go crazy;
Horn Drill
Fissure
-insert move you'll never need here-
-insert move you'll never need here-

Pop an X Accuracy at the start of a battle (maybe an X speed if you're underlevelled), and watch the magic happen

Gsnap

Don't know, but I imagine it's better to have that route there than not have it at all. It adds more trainers for more exp, more grass patches for more pokemon, and it opens up the world a lot more, giving the player more options. It doesn't just connect fuchsia to lavender, it connects fuchsia to vermillion as well. And vermillion is just one short diglett tunnel away from both pewter and viridian. So if for whatever reason you don't have access to fly and need to get back to pewter from from fuchsia, it's probably faster to get to vermillion that way than to take the slog up cycling road and going through celadon and saffron. Just another reason why Kanto's layout feels so well designed to me. There's many different ways to get to many different towns, some of which act as contingency plans in case you haven't got certain items, and most of which act as shortcuts from one town to the next so you never have to step foot in the more sluggish areas (viridian forest, mt moon, rock tunnel) again unless you want to. It's big, and expansive feeling, but also compact and manageable even without fly.

Revven

Hoo boy, man, I got a lot done today and I still only have three badges lol.

I decided to head to Fuchsia to do a couple of things: grab surf and strength, fight all the trainers on the way from Lavender town to get a ton of EXP, catch any new Pokemon on the way to get EXP. All, and then once I had 50 pokes I got EXP. All and then flew to Pewter to get the Old Amber.

Because I haven't fought Koga (or whoever is the one that locks you from using Surf outside of battle) yet I can't go to Cinnabar yet but the moment I can that's where I want to go next so I can deposit my fossils and do the Mansion. My plan is to get a 4th badge from someone, surf to Cinnabar -- on the way grab Articuno and fight all the trainers on the way there, deposit the fossils, go to the Mansion (complete it), surf up to Pallet town to fight all the trainers there, and then decide what gym to tackle next after that. I'm thinking of saving Sabrina for last with Silph Co. just before it.

EXP. All is going to be incredibly helpful this early on, though. It will slow battles down but it's worth it, imo. Especially since I'm going to be swapping some of my team around.

Dishwalla

Banned
I can't stop holding the B button when I'm walking even though it doesn't do anything. The reflex is too instilled in me by this point.

Fireblend

Banned
I realize this may not be the best thread for this, but I have a question for those who bought the special edition Pokemon N3DS and already owned a 3DS:

What's the correct procedure for transferring your old 3DS' digital content to the new system, without losing the pre-installed Pokemon games on the N3DS? Did you follow a guide I could possibly get a link to?

Thanks in advance!

nubbe

It feels like such of a relief to play RBY
I just catch a poke and don't really need to give a crap about nature or iv

Kyzer

Banned
What do you find more appealing about the old system for single player? You probably won't even max out the EVs for most of your Pokemon in a modern single player campaign.

I guess the fact that you can max them all, gives incentive to fight and makes any Pokemon potentially strong. Idk though I'm still learning about stat exp for the first time
I realize this may not be the best thread for this, but I have a question for those who bought the special edition Pokemon N3DS and already owned a 3DS:

What's the correct procedure for transferring your old 3DS' digital content to the new system, without losing the pre-installed Pokemon games on the N3DS? Did you follow a guide I could possibly get a link to?

Thanks in advance!

The new system will actually ask if you want to do a transfer from an older system and guide you through how!

Dishwalla

Banned
Just caught a Scyther and a Kangaskhan in the same Safari Zone campaign, now that's getting my 500 bucks worth. Also a Cubone, time to trade him and get my Machamp.

Not playing it yet, but I love how the levels in Yellow seemed to have been created specifically for the various cups in Stadium. There's a possible level 19-ish Machamp, a very rare level 15 Dragonair, and level 15 Scyther/Pinsir for the one cup that was level 15-20, for example. I wish those would be regular battle options online again instead of just singles, doubles, triples, and rotation at level 50, then we might see a return to this kind of setup in the wild.

Velcro Fly

Finished the game in 19:29

Electabuzz and Blastoise were the heroes of the E4. Hypno mopped up a few nicely. Dugtrio got a few kills.

But Fearow was my rival Venusaur ringer and it worked to perfection. Outsped it and 2HKO with Drill Peck before it could fire off a Solar Beam.

Time to play Yellow. Not sure how I want to tackle that one but I know I'm getting a Nidoking and wrecking everything with it.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Data simply isn't there for that to happen. With Gen 4/DS releases (and maybe Gen3?) the localization for various Pokemon names in various languages were included with each version to allow "region-free" trading.

Top Bottom