• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Red, Blue, Yellow Eshop Release |OT| This Gym is Great! It’s Full of Women!

Oh man, I keep forgetting there's a daycare in gen 1. D: Gotta make use of that, definitely.

I funded my Porygon by basically not buying anything but the occasional Pokeball the entire game. Worth it, but I'm glad to finally have a little spare cash on hand
now that there's no more trainers to raise it...
Of course there's a daycare, how else are you supposed to leave your Magikarp there until it hits level 100 and turns into a PokeGod

Cleared the league yesterday. Surprised I made it through without grinding levels:

WVW69i9o3e4iqecXke

WVW69i9o344eXuumif

WVW69i9o4Yo4--UxR-

WVW69i9o4wg02oIOZK

WVW69i9o6EUm0mCZ-h

WVW69i9o6kofW0txW-

Lance and my Rival's Alakazam gave me a hell of a time, but otherwise managed to cruise through pretty easily. Gonna move on to Red, next!

Ein Bear

Been playing this all day, am loving re-visiting this game so much. The nostalgia!

It'd be so cool if they released Pokemon Stadium on Wii U virtual console next and added support for the 3DS.

Farfetch'd is actually good in this game.

Getting swords dance and agility off the boat, and considering how easy it is to set up on AI, he does a loot of work. Just gotta watch out for rock types. I expected it to be deadweight but I wanted to use my favourite Pokemon for once and hey, it's probably the MVP so far lol.

Sooooo......apparently if they disable your thrash while you are using it you can't do anything until it wears off. They almost killed my Nidoking because he can't even get confused while it is disabled and allow me to switch or heal.....I hope that never happens again.

eefara

Nah, I rarely use starters. I like making my own choices. :)

I super considered dumping my Pikachu in Yellow, since I was trying to play only Pokemon I hadn't had in team before, and he definitely didn't fit that criteria. But I'm too in love with watching him walk behind me, so he stayed. :(

Dishwalla

Banned
No online trading makes getting some of favorite Gen 1 Pokemon hard. Gengar and Machamp specifically.

If you are playing Yellow you can get a Machamp via in game trade, the NPC only wants a Cubone for it. He's in the entrance to the tunnel on Route 5 near the daycare.

Just beta Brock there after a few restarts (wasn't happy with my set-ups, can get annoying).

Currently rocking:

Bulbasaur - Level 15
Pikachu - Level 10
I also ended up picking up a Rattata, Pidgey, Spearow and Caterpie all at level 5. Want to pick up a Weedle and the Nidorans before moving onto Mt Moon, but not certain if I will.

Need to decide on my team too. I'd like an Alakazam but trading might be an issue. I'm edging towards using the legendary birds in the Elite 4, but might try and make a proper 6 man team instead. Might end up relying on an HM slave, dunno.

Bulbasaur
Raichu
Lapras
Alakazam/Mew
Something fiery (Magmar?)
Snorlax

Sound good?

Juicy Bob

Oh, I'm so annoyed.

Twice in the last 30 minutes, I've had two Pokemon miss out on really useful moves thanks to the 'gain two levels at once' glitch.

Grrrrr.

eefara

Started my Red run. Current team:

Bulbasaur (Rakan)
NidoranM (Goushi)
NidoranF (Sae)
Pidgey (Karaku)
Magikarp (Mitama)

Brock's down, and I'm about to head into Mt. Moon.

This is the first time I've ever played Red (only Gen 1 game I've played before this was Yellow), and I've gotta say, the sprite work is...interesting. Very interesting.

eefara

All of these people are finishing up their games and I am just getting started.

I wanted to enjoy the ride with you :(

No worries! There are still lots of people just jumping in, like you, and lots of others who are finishing multiple versions (like me), so they have to restart eventually for a new game.

Noobcraft

Here's my team so far, probably going to try to use it to beat the Elite Four. It took forever to catch the Safari Pokémon. Full normal type.
WVW69i9tBygiHK6af1

105.Will

(Don't mind my bad crop job)
YE01GwR.png

My final team. Never felt the need to pick up a 6th pokemon, and Dragonite's hyper beam cleared up any weakness encountered.

Just finished Silph and be Koga in Yellow. Still have to beat Sabrina but going to head to Cinnabar first and level my Pikachu from trainers on the way. Current team is:

Pikachu - level 37
Venusaur - level 37
Charizard - level 39
Wartortle - level 35
Nidoking - level 39
Mr. Mime - level 39

Venusaur, Charizard, Mr. Mime and Nidoking have carried my team at some point. Nidoking did early when his stats were so much better than everything and just recently when I taught him Earthquake. Venusaur did when Ivysaur learned Razorleaf and I taught him Body Slam which wrecks everything grass is bad against. Charizard did when Charmeleon learned Slash. Also taught him Dig which was my answer to electric types until Nidoking just got Earthquake. Mr. Mime destroyed the Fighting Dojo after I got Psychic and a good chunk of Silph as well. Only Pikachu and Wartortle haven't done a lot for me yet. Pikachu's special is terrible and even with Thunderbolt it can't one shot a Golbat at the same level. Wartortle will get much more use once I reach Blaine. Been fighting every trainer in each gym for experience and I plan on doing it there too.

Rizzi

At least Thunderbolt/Earthquake are TM's for them. Was really annoyed Nidoking couldn't learn Dig and had to wait until I got the Earthquake TM for him to get a decent STAB move.

And when he does learn Earthquake, he tears shit up.
How many poison type attacks can he learn? One. Poison sting. That 15 damage attack.

And when he does learn Earthquake, he tears shit up.
How many poison type attacks can he learn? One. Poison sting. That 15 damage attack.

I expected Nidoking to carry me through more of the early game with Thrash but mine had awful attack. He was only really useful against normal types until I taught him Rock Slide to give him more use until Earthquake.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
Geodude's rock throw has to have the lowest hit rate of any other move in the game. Almost made me throw my 3DS across the room.

Arcia

Banned
So I caught an "M" for fun. Probably a poor choice.
WVW69i9zKsUdNkBW_f

I think I get to play the rest of the game this way now. Yay.
WVW69i9zX04CdfPkSz

Yeah, I know from experience as a kid when I did the same thing...

That was a poor choice.

And don't try to box M. I think it might freeze the game?

Geodude's rock throw has to have the lowest hit rate of any other move in the game. Almost made me throw my 3DS across the room.

Oh man it's terrible. I held off my Geodude from evolving until he learned earthquake at lv 31 so i suffered this for a while. Last time i counted i missed 8/15 Rock throws in a row, add sand attack to the mix and you might as well switch out. Rage inducing.

Is there a list of what Pokémon each trainer produces using the new glitch? I tried the trainer right before the slowpoke guy and fought a lvl 7 nidoqueen. Interesting...

So I caught an "M" for fun. Probably a poor choice.

'M is so passe. hPOKE is where it's at!
The game softlocks if you catch this guy, unless you also have a Gengar. (2:30-on is where it begins to loop; I wanted to see if there were any more fun sounds past that. There weren't.)

(BTW, if I'm remembering correctly, you can view a pokedex page to fix the scrambled sprites after encountering/capturing 'M.)

Is there a list of what Pokémon each trainer produces using the new glitch? I tried the trainer right before the slowpoke guy and fought a lvl 7 nidoqueen. Interesting...

There's this really REALLY big image of all the trainers in Red/Blue, plus all the index numbers of 'mons/glitches that you can get using ditto.

Breads

Banned
At least Missingno isn't destructive to the rom, right? Not like how it potentially was in the cartridge version? I knew it could corrupt save files but I've heard that it was possible to soft lock/ brick the cartridge version without being able to wipe the save and start fresh.

At least Missingno isn't destructive to the rom, right? Not like how it potentially was in the cartridge version? I knew it could corrupt save files but I've heard that it was possible to soft lock/ brick the cartridge version without being able to wipe the save and start fresh.

Neither Missingno. nor 'M do any damage to the save file, unless you store 'M in a PC box, which essentially causes you to lose a slot due to being unable to withdraw it.

Stuff like the ZZAZZ Glitch Trainers and (probably) some of the "Super Glitch" moves are the only thing that will destroy a save, due to overwriting a HUGE number of important game variables.

//ARCANUM

So I'm gonna be in Japan next month, is there anything special I can acquire with my USA copy of Pokemon Y? Via street pass/location/etc? Sorry I'm kind of a Pokemon noob so just checking.

Top Bottom