• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread |OT2| This thread title is now under military control

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I have feeling that I'm going to look at the Transportation Bill later today and realize that it is complete weaksauce.

Yeah, I'm waiting to see what unrelated crap was pushed in the bill.

Loudninja

House, Senate Pass Transportation Bill, Extend Current Student Loan Rates
WASHINGTON -- Congress has passed a massive measure that will salvage some 2.8 million jobs and shield college students from sharply higher interest rates on college loans. The bill would also shore up the federal flood insurance program.

The Senate approved the bill by a vote of 74-19. The House passed the bill earlier in the day and it now goes to the White House for President Barack Obama's signature.

The bill would spend more than $100 billion on highway and transit programs over two years. The measure would also prevent a doubling of interest rates on new student loans scheduled to go into effect on Sunday.

A requirement that the government approve the contentious Keystone XL pipeline was dropped from the measure.
"We have a bill that will boost this economy. We have a bill that is supported by conservatives and liberals, progressives and moderates. I think it's a great day," said Sen. Barbara Boxer, D-Calif., who led Senate negotiations on the transportation portion of the package.

Boxer estimated the bill would save about 1.8 million jobs by keeping aid for highway and transit construction flowing to states and create another 1 million jobs by using federal loan guarantees to leverage private sector investment in infrastructure projects.

Rep. John Mica, R-Fla., chairman of the Transportation and Infrastructure Committee, said: "Probably millions would have been put out of work if we hadn't acted."

Not all lawmakers were happy.

"At least it's not as bad as our Republican colleagues wanted," complained Rep. Earl Blumenauer, D-Ore., who has championed bike and pedestrian programs that the measure would squeeze. "But make no mistake, it is not a bill to be proud of."
In the bargaining that led up to an agreement on the package earlier this week, House Republicans gave up their demands that the bill require approval of the contentious Keystone XL oil pipeline and block federal regulation of toxic waste generated by coal-fired power plants. Democrats gave ground on environmental protections and biking, pedestrian and safety programs.
The bill also extends the federal flood insurance program to protect 5.6 million households and businesses. It addresses a shortfall arising from claims after 2005's Hurricane Katrina by reducing insurance subsidies for vacation homes and allowing for increases in premiums.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/29/transportation-bill-student-loans_n_1638116.html

besada

Banned
Michael Savage is a douchebag, but anticonvulsants do have an effect on cognition. Speaking as someone on them, they make me sleepy and make me not give a fuck. So maybe Roberts just went, "Eh, fuck it."

Michael Savage is a douchebag, but anticonvulsants do have an effect on cognition. Speaking as someone on them, they make me sleepy and make me not give a fuck. So maybe Roberts just went, "Eh, fuck it."

A lot of analysis out today saying that Roberts switched his vote at some point looking at how the opinions have been written.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Except in the constitution isn't not a right (neither is education)

The constitution also says that people have unenumerated rights and equal protections. Powers not granted to the federal government, nor prohibited to the States, are reserved to the states or to the people, but not in violation of individual rights. The 14th amendment empowers the federal government (specifically the judiciary) to enforce this provision against the states.

We're wrestling with whether or not health care is a right. A health insurance mandate on individuals, health insurance being a key component of the health care structure of our country, and whether the federal government can do it while bypassing the states, is vetted differently depending on how the federal courts interpret things.

Is Health care a right?
Is insurance tantamount to having accessible care?
Does the privileges and immunities clause compel states which mandate insurance to provide accessible care to individuals without insurance temporarily within their borders? (Maybe they're driving through, or visiting someone for the weekend).
If health care must be accessible to everyone, but everyone needs to contribute to an insurance pool in order for anyone who wants to access health care to be able to access it, can the federal government require all individuals to act in a way that preserves health care access for any individual? (Commentary: You're already compelled to do things to help others, like answer court summons, or report certain observed crimes. They just almost all have criminal penalties associated with them instead of civil penalties)
If individuals need to access health care, anywhere, at any time, within their own state or outside of their state, and everyone having insurance is necessary to achieve this goal, does requiring individuals to purchase health insurance fall under commerce?
(PS: Would national finance regulations fall under commerce even if creditcard companies could not sell across state lines? )

These are all questions to be considered, but if you're still wrestling with the notion of health care being a right, you're not going to come to a clear consesus on anything. And that's where we are, as a country. We kind of think it's a right and insurance is needed for it, but don't like the idea of not being able to choose whether or not we get insurance, so we object to a mandate while lamenting freeloaders and government providing ap ublic option or single payer.

I expect that over the next few decades, we will see private insurance costs continue to rise, and people continue to pay a fee that, although cheaper than their insurance would have been, gives them nothing in return. Many of them will be too poor to afford insurance but too rich to be subsidized adequately, unfortunately (that's just going to happen at the boundaries, even with proper regulations in place :/ ) As our opinions on health care as a right evolve, turning the fine into a public option or transitioning to a single payer system should become more and more reasonable a proposition.

RDreamer

In the bargaining that led up to an agreement on the package earlier this week, House Republicans gave up their demands that the bill require approval of the contentious Keystone XL oil pipeline and block federal regulation of toxic waste generated by coal-fired power plants. Democrats gave ground on environmental protections and biking, pedestrian and safety programs.

Is it just me or does this compromise taken slightly out of context just seem so damned crazy to anyone else? Ok, fine you can regulate toxic waste... but we're going to need to give up some environmental protections and safety programs... what? It's like a bully saying "Ok, I'll let you keep your lunch money this time, but I'm going to have to punch you in the face, and then stick you in your locker for the next half hour. But you get to eat! I'm a nice guy, see."

Loudninja

Is it just me or does this compromise taken slightly out of context just seem so damned crazy to anyone else? Ok, fine you can regulate toxic waste... but we're going to need to give up some environmental protections and safety programs... what? It's like a bully saying "Ok, I'll let you keep your lunch money this time, but I'm going to have to punch you in the face, and then stick you in your locker for the next half hour. But you get to eat! I'm a nice guy, see."
Its funny because I would consider that environmental protection.

Diablos

bumNZ.png

What a fucking HACK.

Mitt Romney is a spineless piece of shit.

codhand

Certainty = Washington on vacation, in agreement, or at a standstill. The market is basically back where it was prior to Sept 09, "roar" seems a bit misleading, if you were awake the last four years.

ToxicAdam

Certainty = Washington on vacation, in agreement, or at a standstill. The market is basically back where it was prior to Sept 09, "roar" seems a bit misleading, if you were awake the last four years.

Markets reacts to itself or other markets. Not Washington. You also described every condition that Washington could be. So, there is always certainty, by your incredible logic.

A 30 percent increase is a roar. By any metric.

Stock-Market---History-(Feb-28-11).gif

Maybe it's time you go back to sleep.

The prior market high has no bearing on whether or not you consider the increase over the last four years a rally or robust recovery.

Diablos

LOL @ Rethugs. Funny how they got mad at Obama for being critical of the SCOUTS, but now that things aren't going their way, it's okay to criticize them for not getting the job done in repealing PPACA.

GOP plots 2013 strategy on health care repeal
By DAVID ESPO, AP Special Correspondent – 19 minutes ago
WASHINGTON (AP) — Turned away at the Supreme Court, congressional Republicans sketched a strategy Friday to repeal the nation's health care law in 2013 that requires a sweeping election victory carrying Mitt Romney to the presidency and the party at least to narrow control of the Senate.

Romney sought to turn the court's decision upholding the two-year-old law into a campaign battle cry, saying the 5-4 ruling had injected "greater urgency" into his challenge to President Barack Obama. "I think many people assumed that the Supreme Court would do the work that was necessary in repealing Obamacare," he said, adding that the justices "did not get that job done."

Several Republicans seized on a portion of Chief Justice John Roberts' majority opinion that said the centerpiece of the law, a requirement to purchase insurance, was constitutional because it is based on Congress' power to impose a tax. "Those who will end up paying the heaviest burden for not buying government-mandated insurance won't be the wealthiest Americans, but the very middle class families the president claims to defend," said Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell of Kentucky.

The White House said that was an argument it was happy to have. Presidential press secretary Jay Carney said Obama has signed legislation cutting middle class taxes repeatedly, that Republicans want to extend existing income tax cuts for the wealthy and then add "another $5 trillion...that would disproportionately benefit" the same group.

At the same time, the administration announced the latest in a series to steps to implement a law that already has curbed insurance company abuses and cut costs for seniors with high prescription drug costs. Officials said another round of financing was available for states to set up health insurance exchanges, the one-stop markets for consumers scheduled to open in 2014.
Polls find Obama and Romney in a close race four months before the election, with the economy the nation's overriding issue. The battle for control of the Senate is also uncertain, and one day after the court's ruling, the principal fallout was political.

Romney, Obama and congressional candidates in both parties raised campaign money from the ruling, in which Roberts unexpectedly joined four more liberal justices to uphold the law's core component — a requirement that nearly all Americans purchase health insurance beginning in 2014.

The Republican-controlled House is planning to vote in a little more than a week to repeal the law. But that is a symbolic vote, designed to show faith with opponents of what the GOP scornfully calls "Obamacare." Party officials also hope to force some Democrats into a difficult vote on legislation that has never been popular with the public. The repeal measure is doomed in the Senate, where Democrats hold a majority.

Recognizing as much, Republicans were turning their attention to 2013 as their next realistic opportunity to erase legislation that they say gives government control of health at the same time it raises taxes, cuts Medicare and swells deficits.

"One thing is clear: we need the majority in the Senate," Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell of Kentucky wrote in a fundraising email to supporters. "Every path to repeal depends on it."

A 60-vote majority is normally required to overcome adamant opposition to legislation in the Senate, but under limited circumstances, a mere majority can suffice. Democrats took advantage of that when they pushed the health care law to passage in 2010 when they controlled 59 seats. Sen. Jon Kyl, R-Ariz., told reporters, "I think with a ... majority in the Senate, Republicans could do the same things."

The GOP currently has 47 seats in the 100-member Senate, and needs to gain three for effective control if Romney wins the presidential election. Any repeal scenario also assumes the Republicans maintain their House majority in the fall.
A little more than 24 hours after the ruling, Obama, Romney and congressional leaders quickly adjusted.

One effect of the decision was to make Romney's election essential for tea party-aligned voters who fought his nomination in winter and spring but now need him in the White House if there is to be any real hope of repeal.
In a fundraising pitch, the Tea Party Patriots addressed both Romney and House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio., asserting "the American people are putting you on notice. We will not rest until this law is overturned."

The court's decision also injected the health care issue into congressional races.
Crossroads GPS, an independent group aligned with Republicans, introduced an ad in North Dakota noting that Democratic senatorial candidate Heidi Heitkamp "endorsed Obamacare." The commercial says the law raises taxes, cuts Medicare and gives federal bureaucrats "the power to restrict seniors' care." It encourages viewers to lobby her to swing behind the repeal effort.

Heitkamp's opponent, Republican Rep. Rick Berg, favors repealing the legislation, although a spokesman said the lawmaker supports existing provisions that guarantee coverage for pre-existing conditions, reduce prescription drug expenses for seniors and raise federal payments in North Dakota and other rural states for doctors and other Medicare health care providers.

The spokesman, Chris Pack, said he didn't have any information how the provisions could be left in place between the time the current law was repealed and a new one was enacted.

It's a question Democrats raised repeatedly in recent days as they tried to position themselves politically for an anticipated defeat at the Supreme Court that didn't come.

Republican candidates ran on a slogan of "'repeal and replace" in 2010, when they won control of the House and gained seats in the Senate. But they have yet to outline details for replacement legislation, and even before the court's ruling, GOP officials said they had no plans to do so until after the election or perhaps 2013. Nor has Romney detailed what he would like to see included in a substitute law.
Associated Press writers Donna Cassata and Ricardo Alonso-Zaldivar contributed to this story

markatisu

Turned away at the Supreme Court, congressional Republicans sketched a strategy Friday to repeal the nation's health care law in 2013 that requires a sweeping election victory carrying Mitt Romney to the presidency and the party at least to narrow control of the Senate.

Wow so the requirements as of today already mean they are not going anywhere lol

Fate of PPACA was always going to be decided by the presidential election (as it should be), unless SCOTUS had thrown out the entire law. What's funny (and frightening) is how even the odds were the law was going to be upheld in its entirety or thrown out in its entirety. Most people were predicting upheld besides the mandate as the most likely conclusion, and full repeal least likely.

codhand

Are we talking about charts, or the global economy? I used certainty in quotes, and described the conditions by which it can be defined, before trolling me at every opportunity maybe stop and think, I'm not out to create disagreement. I agree the markets have been good based on a 3-4 year chart, but if for example we look at a chart during the debt ceiling debate, we would see high volatility. I think the four year chart proves that things are getting better in the long term, but the short term is volatile. If we get a bad jobs number Friday we could see a really bad day on the market. The fact the economy is improving over a longer term makes me happy. By not wanting to use "roaring back" as my choice of words, I just mean to say I still have trepidation, especially with European debt and Al Gore's prediction's :p

The constitution also says that people have unenumerated rights and equal protections. Powers not granted to the federal government, nor prohibited to the States, are reserved to the states or to the people, but not in violation of individual rights. The 14th amendment empowers the federal government (specifically the judiciary) to enforce this provision against the states.

We're wrestling with whether or not health care is a right. A health insurance mandate on individuals, health insurance being a key component of the health care structure of our country, and whether the federal government can do it while bypassing the states, is vetted differently depending on how the federal courts interpret things.

Is Health care a right?
Is insurance tantamount to having accessible care?
Does the privileges and immunities clause compel states which mandate insurance to provide accessible care to individuals without insurance temporarily within their borders? (Maybe they're driving through, or visiting someone for the weekend).
If health care must be accessible to everyone, but everyone needs to contribute to an insurance pool in order for anyone who wants to access health care to be able to access it, can the federal government require all individuals to act in a way that preserves health care access for any individual? (Commentary: You're already compelled to do things to help others, like answer court summons, or report certain observed crimes. They just almost all have criminal penalties associated with them instead of civil penalties)
If individuals need to access health care, anywhere, at any time, within their own state or outside of their state, and everyone having insurance is necessary to achieve this goal, does requiring individuals to purchase health insurance fall under commerce?
(PS: Would national finance regulations fall under commerce even if creditcard companies could not sell across state lines? )

These are all questions to be considered, but if you're still wrestling with the notion of health care being a right, you're not going to come to a clear consesus on anything. And that's where we are, as a country. We kind of think it's a right and insurance is needed for it, but don't like the idea of not being able to choose whether or not we get insurance, so we object to a mandate while lamenting freeloaders and government providing ap ublic option or single payer.

I expect that over the next few decades, we will see private insurance costs continue to rise, and people continue to pay a fee that, although cheaper than their insurance would have been, gives them nothing in return. Many of them will be too poor to afford insurance but too rich to be subsidized adequately, unfortunately (that's just going to happen at the boundaries, even with proper regulations in place :/ ) As our opinions on health care as a right evolve, turning the fine into a public option or transitioning to a single payer system should become more and more reasonable a proposition.

All I was saying is that Health Care will never be a right in the Constitution. Its not gonna be like privacy.

It will end up like education. A right granted by the legislature not by the supreme court that's what I was trying to say.

I do agree that we has a nation are deciding if that is a right that we want to give. But the consitution doesn't require it.

Opiate

LOL @ Rethugs. Funny how they got mad at Obama for being critical of the SCOUTS, but now that things aren't going their way, it's okay to criticize them for not getting the job done in repealing PPACA.

Could you say the same for Democrats, except in reverse? There was harsh criticism of the Supreme Court before this ruling, and now many are suggesting it should obviously be taken at face value because the Supreme Court decides the law.

Could you say the same for Democrats, except in reverse? There was harsh criticism of the Supreme Court before this ruling, and now many are suggesting it should obviously be taken at face value because the Supreme Court decides the law.

Of course. People like SC when it favors them and hate it when it doesn't.

It depends on the way you look at it. Obviously anybody is going to cheer when SCOTUS rules in your favor, but if they just as easily go back to ruling the way they've been ruling (Bush v. Gore, Citizens United, recent union ruling on Monday), you're going to see that harsh criticism return. There's a section of the VRA that's going to be heard soon (I think), and if that gets struck down, hoo boy.

Allard

I really don't see it that way, most of us don't think the ruling was perfect, most of us are just happy it was left largely untouched. We are just having fun at all the years of the opposite party sniping us for past supreme court decisions as the ultimate law of the land and that their ruling are absolute and just, and that when a ruling finally goes the way we want it to (for the most part) we get to 'playfully' give the opposite group some of their own medicine. I still have a problem with that it was decided as a tax and not under the commerce clause (even if I too agree it is considered a tax), but as they say, beggars can't be choosers in this situation, and its fun to be on the winning side of it for once (Since I am fairly young I didn't see too many of the other more 'liberal' supreme court rulings, or what one considers an American liberal in this day and age :p)

eznark

Banned
I really don't see it that way, most of us don't think the ruling was perfect, most of us are just happy it was left largely untouched. We are just having fun at all the years of the opposite party sniping us for past supreme court decisions as the ultimate law of the land and that their ruling are absolute and just, and that when a ruling finally goes the way we want it to (for the most part) we get to 'playfully' give the opposite group some of their own medicine. I still have a problem with that it was decided as a tax and not under the commerce clause (even if I too agree it is considered a tax), but as they say, beggars can't be choosers in this situation, and its fun to be on the winning side of it for once (Since I am fairly young I didn't see too many of the other more 'liberal' supreme court rulings, or what one considers an American liberal in this day and age :p)

Why would you the expansion of the commerce clause?

codhand

You make an excellent point. But, Supreme Court is still a stacked deck, Roberts made the decision he thought was right, and his opinion although part of the majority, was actually counter to the liberal justice's desire to reference the commerce clause for the mandate.

Zen

Banned
No, the end result is better, more affordable healthcare for everyone and the removal of a needless drag on the economy. That is literally the end result. If you don't like the mandate then presumably you don't like roads or an active military either.

If the Affordable Healthcare Act is allowed to function as intended, it will reduce the deficit, improve our healthcare and improve the economy. No sensible person is even disputing that characterization, including the GAO.

It's been repeated confirmed that the Democrats flat out lied about the financials of Obamacare and is currently costing far more than they projected (because they fenagled with the numbers so that the CBO would give them a favorable analysis). It isn't going to do anything to reduce the deficit in reality. If you have information to the contrary I'd love to see it.

GaimeGuy

eeeh....

Citizens United was kind of out of left field.

The issue brought before the court was whether or not the nonprofit corporation called Citizens United violated the 2002 Bipartisan Campaign Reform Act.

The court instead decided to rule that corporations had a 1st amendment right to spend as much money as they want for political dissemination. Even though legally corporations are NOT defined as "associations of people," that was the basis for their ruling. The constitutinoality of McCain-Feingold was never questioned, and typically, the court can't just rule on something unless a dispute comes before them. It was judicial activism in every sense of the word.

Also, Gore vs. Bush was the court essentially putting a halt to a presidential recount because the country couldn't wait any longer (even though there was about a month left until the new president had to be inaugurated, iirc). Again, it was activism.

the ruling on PPACA? It was the court saying "Looks constitutional to us! Proceed!" That's anything but activism.

GaimeGuy

It's been repeated confirmed that the Democrats flat out lied about the financials of Obamacare and is currently costing far more than they projected (because they fenagled with the numbers so that the CBO would give them a favorable analysis). It isn't going to do anything to reduce the deficit in reality. If you have information to the contrary I'd love to see it.

Are you referring to that article how it would cost $1.8 over it's 2nd decade? The one which said it was twice as expensie as obama said it would be, even though the cost presented was always for the 1st decade only?

Or are you referring to the "it's not a tax" statement that only was made because taxes are evil in America and so politicians lie through their teeth to avoid association with the boogeyman?

Republicans said this would force you to lose existing coverage, go to a doctor you didn't want to go to, force small businesses to go bankrupt (even though it excludes businesses under 50 employees IIRC), and kill your grandmother. And your big problem is that democrats said something was a penalty, not a tax? Give me a break

Show me these "repeated [confirmations]," and are you misremembering the health care debate? Democrats went to painstaking measures to make sure the bill did not add to the deficit. There wasn't any "fenagling" in the way which you described. The CBO sent the Democrats back to the drawing board several times, much to their dismay, while drafting the legislation.

The CBO said the bill will reduce the deficit in 2010. They've said the same thing in their most recent analysis of it. What effect SCOTUS' ruling on Medicaid has on the analysis has yet to be estimated (looking forward to it), but as of this moment, it's still on track to lead to a reduction in the deficit.

Key quote:
Yes, you read that right: The real news of the CBO estimate is that, according to its models, health care reform is going to save even more taxpayer dollars than previously thought.

Zen

Banned
Looks like I was complete wrong due in part to the subtraction in medicare costs, sorry about that and I was taken in by some finagling... oops!

Clevinger

Romney forgot he was against the Dream Act for about an hour today.

Mitt Romney said:
“For those that are here as the children of those who came here illegally, I want to make sure they have a permanent answer to what their status will be, and I’ve indicated in my view that those who serve in the military and have advanced degrees would certainly qualify for that kind of permanent status.”

his campaign's walk back:

“The Governor was referring to his long held position that young illegal immigrants brought here as children who serve in the military should be able to obtain legal permanent residence and that we should staple a green card to the diploma of every eligible student visa holder who graduates from one of our universities with an advanced degree in math, science, or engineering,” Williams said. “He simply misspoke in this interview.”

Qwerty710710

a child left behind
How will obamacare will be repealed even if neocons control the senate,presidency, and house of rep. When all the democrats have to do is just filibusterer when they don't hit there 60 votes in the senate.

Tamanon

Banned
How will obamacare will be repealed even if neocons control the senate,presidency, and house of rep. When all the democrats have to do is just filibusterer when they don't hit there 60 votes in the senate.

Theoretically, they're stating they could do it through reconciliation.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.

There's talk of Romney being able to exempt states from certain parts of it, and also Congress could attempt to de-fund it (no repeal) through reconciliation to effectively kill it. Won't matter though because Romney isn't going to be President.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

Romney won't repeal Obamacare. Things like the pre-existing coverage and other parts of the ACA are things that his base is for (and he's promised "his healthcare" would include), and being at least more intelligent then a bag of bricks there's no way he doesn't know how literally disastrous repealing the mandate alone would be.
Short term disastrous, no way to escape from the responsibility of it.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
The other possibility is they've determined the voters they're going for just don't care enough for them to need to stop. I mean, there are definite advantages to not being pin-down-able.
For now, maybe. When we get much closer to the election his little etch-a-sketch act isn't going to work, especially in debates with Obama. It's also worked for now because the media has largely been giving him a pass. That should go away as we get close to November, too.

eznark

Banned

They can kill the tax without 60. They could also do what you guys have been clamoring for the past few years, filibuster reform!

Romney won't repeal Obamacare. Things like the pre-existing coverage and other parts of the ACA are things that his base is for (and he's promised "his healthcare" would include), and being at least more intelligent then a bag of bricks there's no way he doesn't know how literally disastrous repealing the mandate alone would be.
Short term disastrous, no way to escape from the responsibility of it.

lol, you think Romney would veto a bill to kill ObamaCare if it came to his desk? That's insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom