• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have absolutely no skin in the game and nothing to lose if you're wrong. That's not called making a bet.

Could you unfuck yourself before you continue posting? I don't share PD's conviction that Obama will not be reelected--I think he's a modest favorite if present conditions continue. But there are good reasons to hold an opposite view, and doing so does not make PD a fool.

markatisu

And don't they want to reduce abortions? Covering birth control costs is probably the best thing you can do to reduce abortions.

Very strange fight they've decided to start.

I would bet privately a lot of them don't want to start that fight, but that is what happens when you sell your soul to religiously crazy overlords to get elected

Mike M

Nick N
so...

rivcv.jpg

yeah, not racist or misogynist at all

http://www.gocomics.com/mike-lester/2012/03/04

I don't understand these arguments, it's like people don't understand how insurance premiums work...

GhaleonEB

It did hit Obama hard, but it's undeniable that it hurt the republicans more.

No, it didn't. Obama's ratings cratered. The GOP actually expanded their lead on the congressional ballot, though that has since reversed as things mended.

Republicans did get hurt by the fight over the payroll tax holiday. On that front I think there's room for optimism about how any potential shutdown fight this year would go; politically Obama handled the two situations very differently.

Any predictions for the employment report tomorrow? The NPD release today has me in a predictive mood. I think the consensus estimates of just over 200k are a bit conservative; signs point to gains about the size we had last month, 240k. Calculated Risk has a good summary of the readings in advance of the report from this month.

I think you guys are looking way too deeply into this. Mike Lester elaborates:

Aks3e.png

"I didn't make her beg for welfare to fund her contraception"

SHE PAYS FOR HER OWN PRIVATE INSURANCE YOU STUPID FUCKING PIECE OF SHIT!

AAAAAAAAAARRRRRGGGHHH. Facts!

Reality has a well known liberal bias.

No, it didn't. Obama's ratings cratered. The GOP actually expanded their lead on the congressional ballot, though that has since reversed as things mended.

Republicans did get hurt by the fight over the payroll tax holiday. On that front I think there's room for optimism about how any potential shutdown fight this year would go; politically Obama handled the two situations very differently.

Any predictions for the employment report tomorrow? The NPD release today has me in a predictive mood. I think the consensus estimates of just over 200k are a bit conservative; signs point to gains about the size we had last month, 240k. Calculated Risk has a good summary of the readings in advance of the report from this month.
sounds about right, but for some reason i gotta a feeling unemployment goes up to 8.4-8.5%

If the debt nonsense happens again I expect Obama to handle it much better. The stakes won't be as high as with the debt limit, but I do think Obama will be able to manuever through the situation as the adult in the room

GhaleonEB

If the debt nonsense happens again I expect Obama to handle it much better. The stakes won't be as high as with the debt limit, but I do think Obama will be able to manuever through the situation as the adult in the room

I think so. And it would be even more blatantly political for the GOP to try it right before the election. Looks like we might be finding out.

I'm just curious; how did he handle them differently?

I don't remember what he did with the payroll tax dispute.

I think the main thing is that even though Obama's approvals took a hit from the debt ceiling shenanigans, he's made an undeniable recovery, while Republicans' approvals have actually gotten worse. For reasons that have already been mentioned.

Ultimately, I feel like if anyone were to look at that point in time now, they'd blame the GOP for what happened. Obama seems to be doing fine.

Just to note a difference, the upcoming fight if Republicans continue with their plan would be over the budget and not debt ceiling. It would basically lead to a government shutdown.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I just saw absolutely the most vile, disgusting, non-Nazi, non-KKK propaganda, reprehensible political cartoon I've ever seen. It was by Glen somebody and it depicted the President of the United States standing in a dumpster full of dead babies outside an abortion clinic, hacking at them with a shovel to make sure they're all dead.

Fuck politics, fuck that, and fuck the internet. I can't handle this sometimes.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Not the fact that he drew a pimp. He made the black president a pimp.
Could he have drawn the president and made him not black? Or should he have made the pimp someone else?
both of these suggestions are equally silly, the pimp/prostitute narrative was already set.

Look up the cartoonist. The intent was blatantly racist.
Intent is irrelevant in this case. The narrative included pimps and the president, there is a finite and small number of iterations to this. Even the white "pimp" costumes look like this.

look* there have been a lot of dog whistle cartoons since the start of Obama's presidency, this isn't one of them.

"I didn't make her beg for welfare to fund her contraception"

SHE PAYS FOR HER OWN PRIVATE INSURANCE YOU STUPID FUCKING PIECE OF SHIT!

AAAAAAAAAARRRRRGGGHHH. Facts!

Reality has a well known liberal bias.

this

*read this instance of "look" in Obama's voice

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Plus I doubt Romney would be particularly happy about the 10% congress steering the boat of the general election. By that time he'll be trying his best to appeal to independents

speaking of Romney
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/...arning-to-say-I-like-grits-?via=sidebyuserrec

What, the, actual, fuck. If he came to my hometown and tried that shit he would be laughed out of town by the most partisan retard in the shire. Did anyone APPLAUD this shit? Like, if you are that venal, that you can be pandered to by such a low quality horseshit, then you truly deserve the guy.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Could he have drawn the president and made him not black? Or should he have made the pimp someone else?
both of these suggestions are equally silly, the pimp/prostitute narrative was already set.

Intent is irrelevant in this case. The narrative included pimps and the president, there is a finite and small number of iterations to this. Even the white "pimp" costumes look like this.

look* there have been a lot of dog whistle cartoons since the start of the election, this isn't one of them.

this

*read this instance of "look" in Obama's voice

Are you serious? I honestly can't tell.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Are you serious? I honestly can't tell.

I am unfortunately serious in this case. Don't read too deeply into it. If Obama was drawn as a pimp in any other situation I would probably agree that it was racist. But the pimps and prostitutes crap was set since Rush opened his idiotic mouth, I don't think there is a way to draw this cartoon without making Obama the pimp.

They have me siding with PD on this one! God help me.
It's misogynist, but how is it racist?

There are plenty of racist political cartoons featuring Obama, I don't think this is one of them.

*I shouldn't need to add the caveat that I abhor the entire right wing position on all of this stuff. But I will

What, the, actual, fuck. If he came to my hometown and tried that shit he would be laughed out of town by the most partisan retard in the shire. Did anyone APPLAUD this shit? Like, if you are that venal, that you can be pandered to by such a low quality horseshit, then you truly deserve the guy.
The sad sad part is that I imagine there are people in America who *like* being pandered to like this. :(

New Alabama poll had Romney leading

A new poll has been released Thursday showing how Alabamians may vote in next week's GOP Primary.

The Capital Survey Research Center did a survey of 592 likely voters in Alabama from march 5-7, 2012.

Among the results, 29.9% of voters would pick Mitt Romney, 24.7% of voters pick Newt Gingrich, Rick Santorum gets 20.1%, and Ron Paul has 5.6% of those polled, with 19.8% of those polled don't know or had no reply.

If Mitt can win most the undecided, Looks like Newt might be out sooner than expected since he wanted to win there to stay in the race.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
New Alabama poll had Romney leading

If Mitt can win most the undecided, Looks like Newt might be out sooner than expected since he wanted to win there to stay in the race.

Which, ironically would help Santorum.

Well damn, so this is where the PoliGAF thread went? I've got to get used to this new subforum...

I can't believe just how much more the insane, hateful rhetoric has ramped up to the point where it isn't even throwing shit at the wall to see if it sticks anymore----it is just reveling in shitting the place up period. I'm not surprised that my state of GA went for Gingrich, but that it did so overwhelmingly so is just pathetic.

GOP strategy seems to be all about causing as much strife as possible to bolster whatever weak candidate they are likely to foist up---that this seems to already be well underway with the primaries not even over yet is incredibly troubling.

GhaleonEB

Some highlights from the employment situation report:

Nonfarm payroll employment rose by 227,000 in February, and the unemployment rate
was unchanged at 8.3 percent, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reported today.

Both the labor force and employment rose in February. The civilian labor force
participation rate, at 63.9 percent, and the employment-population ratio, at 58.6
percent, edged up over the month.

Government employment was essentially unchanged in January and February. In 2011,
government lost an average of 22,000 jobs per month.

The change in total nonfarm payroll employment for December was revised from +203,000
to +223,000, and the change for January was revised from +243,000 to +284,000.​

61,000 upward revision to the psat two months. Very good news.

Composition of job gains table here.

GhaleonEB

you're never going to beat Ghaleon on these reports. Although SO close! :)

He often does. I just happened to be up (had to pee - I was up two hours ago and had some tea) and thought I'd check. It's still 5:45 here so I'm usually not up when they're posted.

Gruco

Banned
LOL these guys don't know how to pill works. It's not a one day pop-in pill per sex a day.

makes them look like fucktards

So, I quite randomly was doing a long drive one of the days that Rush was going on about Fluke, and listened to him out of sheer morbid curiosity. It was utterly fascinating. The way he kept saying "HAVING SO MUCH CONSEQUENCE FREE SEX THAT IT'S MAKING HER BROKE" really did as much as possible to play up the idea that the pill is an increasing cost function with regards to how much sex you have. I don't know if Rush actually believes this, but his listeners clearly do.

It was also pretty amazing how axiomatic the idea that insurance = welfare is in that the distinction was never made, nor the argument for why that is true in this case.

Just incredible that arguments that are so obviously terrible work so well. I don't know whether to pity his listeners (which apparently include political cartoonists) for being so easily exploited or have contempt for them for what this whole thing says about how they view women, but the whole thing made me sad.

GhaleonEB

The lack of government job losses dragging on the report is noticeable. Just 6,000 government jobs lost last month, while 37,000 were lost in February 2011. The private job gains are not being offset as they were last year. I'd read this was expected to be one of the things that helped boost employment this year, and it seems to be the case. Just the reduction in government job losses alone will make this year's employment gains be a few hundred thousand higher.

had a feeling it'd be just over 200k, thought the unemployment would rise to 8.4 or 8.5%, glad i was wrong :)

A lot of people are probably going to seize of the increase in the participation rate. It's the first uptick in a while.

Door2Dawn

Banned
Annnd the spin begins:

"Today's jobs report is yet another reminder that far too many Americans are out of work, and the situation is clearly not improving. Millions of families continue to feel the pain of the sluggish Obama economy and the rising cost of gas, groceries, and healthcare. They are still waiting on President Obama to keep his promise of an economic recovery," said RNC Chairman Reince Priebus.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Annnd the spin begins:
"Today's jobs report is yet another reminder that far too many Americans are out of work, and the situation is clearly not improving. Millions of families continue to feel the pain of the sluggish Obama economy and the rising cost of gas, groceries, and healthcare. They are still waiting on President Obama to keep his promise of an economic recovery," said RNC Chairman Reince Priebus.

lol.

The lack of government job losses dragging on the report is noticeable. Just 6,000 government jobs lost last month, while 37,000 were lost in February 2011. The private job gains are not being offset as they were last year. I'd read this was expected to be one of the things that helped boost employment this year, and it seems to be the case. Just the reduction in government job losses alone will make this year's employment gains be a few hundred thousand higher.

A lot of people are probably going to seize of the increase in the participation rate. It's the first uptick in a while.
Imagine where we'd be if we'd had the sense to try to keep public sector employment from contracting like it has over the past year.

So are the jobs numbers a result of the Bush tax cuts kicking in or the anticipation of the Romney tax cuts?
Employers are so certain that Romney will be elected that they're preparing themselves for the surge of economic activity that will proceed from that.

Duh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom