• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

eznark

Banned
Hi. I lost track of you, PoliGAF. Someone came and hijack you in the middle of the night and rolled you into a bad part of town. I watched it happen, but I was busy doing other stuff, and always felt weird about posting just to get you into my subscription list so I could find you.

But things are starting to spin up, and my life has settled down a tiny bit, so here I am, looking for daily polls and chicken-littleism of the best kind. It's nice to see you all again.

http://rupertforgovernor.com/

Jackson50

Santorum continues to outperform his polls.

He won by 22.3%.
The pattern is discernible. Aside from Colorado, he only performs well in a narrow band around the Mississippi. It exemplifies the limited appeal of his candidacy. But where his schtick plays, he exceeds expectations. Thus, he might exceed expectations in Wisconsin, although I think Romney's lead is now insuperable. Also, Santorum's performance mostly mirrors Gingrich's poor performance. Romney is largely a push in the aggregate, but Gingrich consistently fails to meet expectations.
The state conference was today and he was selected to run on the ticket. hilariousumiliating.
That's par for the course for Libertarians.

I think this is an example of Gingrich voters starting to jump ship for Santorum. Romney didn't fair much worse in Louisiana than he did in MS/AL. 26% vs 29/30%. It's just that Gingrich got half the votes here he did in those two states, dropping from 29//21% to 16%, with the rest going to Santorum.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member

Trollbama 4 President
trollface.jpg

Jackson50

I think this is an example of Gingrich voters starting to jump ship for Santorum. Romney didn't fair much worse in Louisiana than he did in MS/AL. 26% vs 29/30%. It's just that Gingrich got half the votes here he did in those two states, dropping from 29//21% to 16%, with the rest going to Santorum.
I think that's fairly accurate in this instance. The South was Gingrich's base, and it has not been especially felicitous for Romney. But I don't think it will translate this substantially in other regions.

Santorum continues to outperform his polls.

He won by 22.3%.

Romney still managed to get above 25% so he'll win some delegates despite the blowout.

Also, another state with low turnout. Whoever designed this primary season was a complete fool

edit: eh perhaps that's a bit harsh. If republicans had decent candidates, this primary layout could have proven to be impressive. Unfortunately the Christies, Thunes, Daniels, Huckabees, Palins, etc didn't join in, leaving the worst possible candidate list imaginable.

Romney still managed to get above 25% so he'll win some delegates despite the blowout.

Also, another state with low turnout. Whoever designed this primary season was a complete fool

Is it really that low? From what figures I could find, the 2008 Republican primary only had 156k or so voters, and 2000 only had a turn out of 102k. 186k may be the best turnout they've ever had.

For some reason the Democratic primaries show a much stronger performance here, despite Democrats generally losing any elections.

Hi. I lost track of you, PoliGAF. Someone came and hijack you in the middle of the night and rolled you into a bad part of town. I watched it happen, but I was busy doing other stuff, and always felt weird about posting just to get you into my subscription list so I could find you.

But things are starting to spin up, and my life has settled down a tiny bit, so here I am, looking for daily polls and chicken-littleism of the best kind. It's nice to see you all again.

Besada! Glad to hear from you again. I hope things are going well for you.

Glad to have you back.

You too, I guess.

edit: eh perhaps that's a bit harsh. If republicans had decent candidates, this primary layout could have proven to be impressive. Unfortunately the Christies, Thunes, Daniels, Huckabees, Palins, etc didn't join in, leaving the worst possible candidate list imaginable.
Michael Motherfucking Steele.

House Budget Committee Chairman Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) said Sunday that he'd consider running on the Republican ticket as the vice presidential nominee but is not focused on it.

"I would have to consider it, but it’s not something I’m even thinking about right now," Paul said on "Fox News Sunday."

Ryan has often been mentioned a possible vice presidential candidate, given his record in Congress as a budget expert.

"Who knows about that," Ryan said when pressed by Fox host Chris Wallace on the VP chatter. "I just don’t know the answer to your question, Chris. It’s not a bridge I’ve even come even close to crossing. It is a decision somebody else makes a long time from now. I’m focused on doing my job in Congress."
http://www.politico.com/blogs/politico-live/2012/03/paul-ryan-would-consider-vp-slot-118566.html

the only thing is, hasnt Romney pretty much avoided mentioning Ryan's plan?

Brinbe

http://www.politico.com/blogs/politico-live/2012/03/paul-ryan-would-consider-vp-slot-118566.html

I'd love it. Bring the issues brought about by that budget right into the open. Team Bama are licking their lips in anticipation.

And, oh, that didn't take long...
In an apparent new messaging tactic for 2012, White House senior adviser adviser David Plouffe labeled the new Paul Ryan budget the "Romney-Ryan plan," seeking to tether the GOP presidential frontrunner to the budget blueprint released last week.

"The Ryan plan -- which, by the way, is supported by the presidential candidates. So Mitt Romney is the frontrunner, this is really the Romney-Ryan plan," Plouffe said on Fox News Sunday. "It will be rubber-stamped if Mitt Romney is elected president. It fails the test of balance, and fairness and shared responsibility. It showers huge tax cuts on millionaires and billionaires, paid for by seniors and veterans."

"The right approach is the president's approach," he added, grilled by Chris Wallace on the president's budget. "That also allows our economy to grow. It doesn't strangle education, doesn't gut investments in clean energy. So, it's the right path to grow the economy and reduce the deficit."

Not really, he's said that he endorses the basic structure of the plan. I can't say that I'd see adding Ryan to the ticket as a particularly advantageous move; it'd be playing right into the Democrats' hands.

Honestly, I can't think of a single VP pick that doesn't load the the ticket with liabilities.

Martinez? That Virginia governor?
Martinez is the Game Change pick. I really doubt the Republicans are ready to re-visit that just now, though she'll have been better vetted. She also was a Democrat as of 5 or 6 years ago, so it's not clear that she'd allay concerns about Romney's inadequate conservatism.

All the national attention McDonnell has garnered in the past month is because of the transvaginal ultrasound bill. Consider his history at Regent University and the thesis he wrote there, plus the 30-some bills he sponsored while in the Virginia legislature on various anti-abortion measures. Plays right into the "War on Women" line of attack.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
So, seriously, no coverage whatsoever or results posted about delegates in Missouri? I could have sworn it was due yesterday...

Romney is going to have a great next week, He is going to kill it in all three primaries, probably.

gcubed

It's time for Santorum to simply campaign and stop viciously attacking Romney. It's clear Santorum will not be the nominee, but will continue winning some states. Now is the time to quiet down a bit, stop slamming the nominee, and start looking ahead to 2016. I'm not sure the votes he's winning mean these people are loyal to him in the same way they were to Huckabee, but it's still a potential base that can be build upon for the future.

If Santorum was smart he'd spend a lot of time later this year campaigning for congressional candidates across the country. That Nixon playbook is always helpful; people forget that Obama spent a whole lot of time campaigning for other democrats in 2006, which built bridges and led to endorsements in 2007 and early 08.

yeah, no, there is no 2016 for Santorum. He's a shit candidate in a pool of shit candidates. If there was anyone worthwhile in the GOP primary he would have been laughed out of the race months ago.

you'd think there could be a reason for this?

GhaleonEB

I read that if Romney didn't get above 25%, the delegates he won would not have gone to Santorum, they would have gone to the convention unpledged. Dem primary rules.

Which means Romney would have gotten them anyways, naturally.

Jackson50

Martinez is the Game Change pick. I really doubt the Republicans are ready to re-visit that just now, though she'll have been better vetted. She also was a Democrat as of 5 or 6 years ago, so it's not clear that she'd allay concerns about Romney's inadequate conservatism.

All the national attention McDonnell has garnered in the past month is because of the transvaginal ultrasound bill. Consider his history at Regent University and the thesis he wrote there, plus the 30-some bills he sponsored while in the Virginia legislature on various anti-abortion measures. Plays right into the "War on Women" line of attack.
That's why I think Romney will eventually pick a vanilla candidate who, though they don't exhilarate, doesn't necessarily detract from the ticket. Essentially, Tim Pawlenty. Although, I think Huntsman epitomizes those particular traits and would be a quality running mate were he not a Mormon. Anthony Downs be damned, I'm not sure I'd force the GOP to support two Mormons. I'd not tempt that fate.
So, seriously, no coverage whatsoever or results posted about delegates in Missouri? I could have sworn it was due yesterday...

Romney is going to have a great next week, He is going to kill it in all three primaries, probably.
I hope you are seated as this may come as a terrible surprise, but the GOP made a mess of the process in one of Missouri's larger counties.
One of Missouri's largest Republican areas will try again to participate in the GOP presidential nomination process after a fracas forced the cancellation of the first caucus.

The Missouri Republican Party announced Friday that the St. Charles County caucus has been rescheduled for 7 p.m. April 10 at the convention center in St. Charles. State Republican Party Chairman David Cole will serve as temporary chairman until participants choose a caucus chairman.

The March 17 caucus at a high school gym in St. Peters turned chaotic and adjourned without selecting delegates for Missouri's congressional district conventions in April and the state GOP convention in June. Some of the crowd was upset by rules imposed by county Republican leaders, including a ban on audio and video equipment.

Supporters of Ron Paul and Mitt Romney also were upset about county GOP chairman Eugene Dokes' decision to recognize only one nomination for caucus chairman. Two Paul supporters were arrested for trespassing when they were allegedly told to leave but refused to do so. One of them tried to reconvene the caucus outside.

Read more:
yeah, no, there is no 2016 for Santorum. He's a shit candidate in a pool of shit candidates. If there was anyone worthwhile in the GOP primary he would have been laughed out of the race months ago.
The most damning condemnation of Santorum is that he already had a network after two terms in the Senate which he could tap for support, yet he was uniformly rejected; incidentally, this also plagued Gingrich's candidacy. If he could not rely on those who worked with him in the Senate, he'll not be able to engender support by stumping in Congressional elections.

Brinbe

So will the crazy in the GOP intesify if (when) Obama wins? Or mellow out?

Oh, we ain't seen nothing yet, especially if Romney's the nom and loses... I mean, a 2nd "RINO" nominated in a row and another defeat!?!? The base won't stand for that and will veer even further into crazyville. Yikes, for the hopes of moderates still in that party.

Gruco

Banned
Is it safe to say that Scalia and Kennedy are the only ones whose decision may not be entirely predictable? Somehow I just can't see Kennedy shooting it down, but that said, I'll probably be holding my breath until it's official.

I used to live in st charles county! Was the heart of white flight, then those darned blacks started moving in, so all the white people were trying to move back into saint louis. Believed they called it some sort of doughnut effect. It was crazy.

teiresias

So why exactly does every sports thread in Community get to be a sticky, while Poligaf doesn't? I mean, at least we talk about stuff that, I dunno . . . matters.

Chichikov

I think that if Romney wins, the emerging narrative will be that he wasn't conservative enough.
But it's hard to predict, and it really depends on how the general election plays out, if he keep getting hammered on the ultra-conservative statements he made during the primaries, there might be an opposite backlash (though historically, candidates were reasonably successful walking toward the center once they get the nomination).

However long term, I have little doubt that the GOP will have to tone it down, the demographics are just not there, and in the grand scheme of things, electability is the strongest driving force for politicians.

So why exactly does every sports thread in Community get to be a sticky, while Poligaf doesn't? I mean, at least we talk about stuff that, I dunno . . . matters.
Dude, we're talking about the Republican Puerto Rican primary here.
The WNBA The Cactus League matters more.
So how are you guys feeling about the Supreme Court and the fate of the Affordable Care Act?

I'm preparing for the worst.
I'm cautiously optimistic.
The conservative wing can't be happy with how Citizen United played out, I don't think he's too eager to have proponents of the law march cancer patients who will be unable to get coverage due to pre-existing conditions.
And yes, I absolutely think that those things factor in.

thatbox

Banned
https://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/25/opinion/sunday/the-full-employment-congress.html?_r=1&ref=opinion

The Full-Employment Congress
Published: March 24, 2012

Representative Ron Paul’s signature libertarianism takes on a whole new meaning with the disclosure that he has paid more than $300,000 in salaries and fees to his daughter, brother, grandson, daughter’s mother-in-law, granddaughter and grandson-in-law. There is no Congressional ethics rule against employing family members in the pursuit of public service, as the office of Mr. Paul, Texas Republican and presidential candidate, points out.

But a new report detailing how the families of more than half of all House members similarly benefited financially from their ties with a lawmaker makes for particularly interesting reading when politicians all over are promising voters: jobs, jobs, jobs.

Eighty-two lawmakers paid family members through their office payrolls, campaign committees and political-action funds, according to the 346-page report by Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics, an independent watchdog group in Washington. Forty-four had relatives who lobbied or worked in government affairs. Twenty members dipped into their campaign coffers to help a relative who ran for office, and 14 made sure they charged interest when they were reimbursed for personal loans that they advanced to their own campaign committees.

A little-noticed House hearing recently admitted that Congress, wallowing in 10 percent approval ratings, was “broken” and needed to be “fixed.” No one said anything about ending the rampant bipartisan nepotism cushioning Capitol Hill careers.

If nothing else, the report is a measure of the creativity quietly at work in Congress when it comes to hearth and home. If only this could be applied to something other than achieving full employment in the halls of the Capitol.​

Well, alright.

Chichikov

My money's on severable and unconstitutional. If we get a Democratic congress (ha!), we'll give it another go in 2013.
I can see it from a pure constitutional perspective, but I don't know, there's no money backing that outcome, no special interest that would benefit from it.
And man, the insurance industry will go ape-shit.

And the thing is, on a personal level, it's hard to even blame them.
Which is exactly why you need clear ethics rules around that crap; congress integrity should not hinge on our elected officials' ability to say no to their mothers.

I can see it from a pure constitutional perspective, but I don't know, there's no money backing that outcome, no special interest that would benefit from it.
And man, the insurance industry will go ape-shit.
People have been known to confuse pissing off all interested parties with doing the right thing. Few games interest me less than What Would Kennedy Do?, so I'm mostly throwing darts.

Chichikov

People have been known to confuse pissing off all interested parties with doing the right thing. Few games interest me less than What Would Kennedy Do?, so I'm mostly throwing darts.
I was trying to think about it, and I honestly don't know how it will played out in that case.
I mean, it's obvious that you can't prevent pre-existing conditions and wait periods without a mandate (or a similar mechanism), but the law will remain in the books.
So now what?
Do congress pass a law, through both houses, saying that it's okay to bring it back?
On an election year?

It will be messy, and I'm guessing that if insurance lobbyists sniff an overturn, they will push HARD against severability, which at this point, will have no one pushing against it.

But who fucking knows.

Diablos

My money's on severable and unconstitutional. If we get a Democratic congress (ha!), we'll give it another go in 2013.
The problem is that without the mandate it becomes insolvent.

Thus giving, for the first time, the GOP a legitimate talking point as to why this is potentially disastrous policy.

Chichikov

Thus giving, for the first time, the GOP a legitimate talking point as to why this is potentially disastrous policy.
Yeah, but it's destructive to the insurance industry.
And man, that will be fun to campaign on wouldn't it?
Think of the poor insurance companies!
And the funny thing that they would actually be right.

As it happens, the Supreme Court's job is not to make good policy, which is one reason I see this as a possibility.

It would actually be a pretty brilliant move if you look at the Supreme Court as part of the Republican apparatus-rule the mandate severable and unconstitutional, and then the repeal of the rest of the law would likely be cost-saving in terms of scoring, which puts the Senate and Obama in a pretty uncomfortable position.

Like Chichikov said, that ruling would be a messy one that the insurance lobby would staunchly oppose, but it also seems like one that the conservative justices might embrace to soften the charges of partisan hackery.

Chichikov

The one thing I do know is that the public will not get or be interested in any of that shit.
If the word "severability" appears anywhere in your November strategy papers, it's time to get new strategists.

It will go insane. Then they will eventually move onto the next thing. If Obama wins reelection and he goes in harder with his second term and passes some or any sort of significant legislation, expect the GOP to be riled up over anything that gets passed.

Puddles

Banned
Saw your post before the edit, Flying Phoenix.

I'm reading through that thread right now, and it's pretty interesting. I have an account over at SA; I should probably post there more.

bananas

Banned
It will go insane. Then they will eventually move onto the next thing. If Obama wins reelection and he goes in harder with his second term and passes some or any sort of significant legislation, expect the GOP to be riled up over anything that gets passed.

How many presidential elections will the GOP have to lose before they get it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom