• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilsongt

I remember learning when Republicans were actually a party that had decent, although opposing views, to the democrats.

Now they are just a joke full of people spreading FUD. It's redunkulous.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
What are some common criticisms of Gingrich out of curiosity?

To paraphrase someone else, Newt's the little fat kid who sits in the back of the class, that constantly tries to correct the teacher cause he thinks he's hot shit, even though he's wrong about pretty much everything.

1) He cheated on both of his previous wives after they were diagnosed with serious diseases, while chastising Clinton for his cheating with Monica Lewinsky ; He now pretends to have credibility on family/conservative values, and claims god has shown him the way.

2) He's completely insincere about his positions on the issues, and goes out of his way to appeal to the lowest common denomation of every electorate he comes into contact with.

3) No one who worked with him during the Clinton years wants him anywhere near the White House because he's incredibly difficult to work with.

4) Republicans forced him out of office over ethics violations. Was the first speaker ever to be reprimanded over ethics violations.

Kad5

I'm asking cuz my friend posted a picture on FBook of him watching a new gingrich speech and another dude was like "that's one smart man right there".

I'm looking for a clever way to retort back to that.

Oblivion

I'm asking cuz my friend posted a picture on FBook of him watching a new gingrich speech and another dude was like "that's one smart man right there".

I'm looking for a clever way to retort back to that.

Tell him that, to quote the great Paul Krugman, "Newt is a stupid person's idea of a what smart person sounds like."

markatisu

I'm looking for sources and facts...

Any news article from the 1990's especially surrounding his losing his position as Speaker

But even then chances are the people you are talking to care about sources and facts. Anyone who loves Newt or even thinks he is reasonable is a lost cause

I'm looking for sources and facts...

NEWTBABY.jpg

They added another story to the HCR video series:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=piLRSZiDYVw - Insurance Premiums going up because baby was getting sick too much
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjqV1iHwU-A - Ear Infection classified as a pre-existing condition even though Doctor calls that BS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4n_qBZf3R0 - Free preventive care

Democrats need a fucking millionaire funder to just put these on TV

kehs

Banned
1) He cheated on both of his previous wives after they were diagnosed with serious diseases, while chastising Clinton for his cheating with Monica Lewinsky ; He now pretends to have credibility on family/conservative values, and claims god has shown him the way.

2) He's completely insincere about his positions on the issues, and goes out of his way to appeal to the lowest common denomation of every electorate he comes into contact with.

3) No one who worked with him during the Clinton years wants him anywhere near the White House because he's incredibly difficult to work with.

4) Republicans forced him out of office over ethics violations. Was the first speaker ever to be reprimanded over ethics violations.

5) His logo is a gas pump with $2.50 on it.

It would be easier if you asked people to list good things about him.

I guess he has been good in trying to eliminate wasteful government programs.
Welfare reform that put in some work requirements.

And . . . I'm out. I could go on a long time with criticism.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=36300240&postcount=82

They're all ignoring me. :(

Back me up here, people. Need reinforecments, stat.

But you're not really countering his point. It goes without saying that the hunt for bin Laden didn't go from 0-to-dead-guy when Obama took office. It's also acknowledged by most accounts that the Bush administration de-prioritized hunting for him in its second term. And it's also also acknowledged--as far as we can know something as publicly unknowable as the events of the raid--that bin Laden remained far more plugged into al Qaeda than we previously thought, and we really found a motherlode of intelligence at his compound.

It's fallacious to warn against "overstating the significance" of bin Laden's death, because no one has ever seriously claimed that it ended all terrorism or whatever, or that Obama came into office with exactly zero intelligence or apparatus to take him out. Outside of that, it was pretty significant. It seriously fucked up al Qaeda's organization and plans.

Oblivion

But you're not really countering his point. It goes without saying that the hunt for bin Laden didn't go from 0-to-dead-guy when Obama took office. It's also acknowledged by most accounts that the Bush administration de-prioritized hunting for him in its second term. And it's also also acknowledged--as far as we can know something as publicly unknowable as the events of the raid--that bin Laden remained far more plugged into al Qaeda than we previously thought, and we really found a motherlode of intelligence at his compound.

It's fallacious to warn against "overstating the significance" of bin Laden's death, because no one has ever seriously claimed that it ended all terrorism or whatever, or that Obama came into office with exactly zero intelligence or apparatus to take him out. Outside of that, it was pretty significant. It seriously fucked up al Qaeda's organization and plans.

Great, now I can't tell who's trolling.

which left CA alone and so the project pretty much died as CA has its own financial problems.
l
Uh, what? The project is moving full speed ahead.

Pretty damn sad, indeed. I am guessing, but have no way to confirm, that the reason the governors turned the money down was that they did not want to have to provide the supplementary funding to cover the inevitable budget shortfalls that would happen once the project was started.

See the California stretch for a high speed rail project that is going to go WAY over budget and doesn't even cover enough of the scope to be as good as it could have been.

Nope. Theys aid they didnt want to cover operating costs because there was no way rail can be profitable.

At least, thats what the heritage foudnation said.

4 independent auditors since ruled that both projects would support themselves on ticket sales.

Standard "gop line =/ reality".

Like how job-creating scott walker is now running the state with one of the lowest job creation rates in the nation.

BTW: In Wisconsin, operating expenses were estimated at $4million a year.

$4 million is what the DOT spends on 2 projects to add a second left turn lane to an intersection.

RDreamer

Nope. Theys aid they didnt want to cover operating costs because there was no way rail can be profitable.

At least, thats what the heritage foudnation said.

4 independent auditors since ruled that both projects would support themselves on ticket sales.

Standard "gop line =/ reality".

Like how job-creating scott walker is now running the state with one of the lowest job creation rates in the nation.

BTW: In Wisconsin, operating expenses were estimated at $4million a year.

$4 million is what the DOT spends on 2 projects to add a second left turn lane to an intersection.

Yeah, I knew the operating expenses were insanely low, I just couldn't remember the numbers. I'm still personally pretty pissed about that whole thing. I think most of the state is pissed at Walker for other things by now and have practically forgot about that, but I still hate it. I remember getting into arguments with Republicans who kept insisting it wouldn't make any money. That's crazy to me, considering, again, we have one of the largest music festivals in the country. You don't think people would use the rail to get here for that alone? I mean I know that's not going to pay for everything, but it's not like Milwaukee is some bumfucked down in the middle of nowhere. And Milwaukee to Chicago can always use more transportation options, almost no matter what. You could entice a lot more businesses out of Chicago and into Milwaukee with that sort of thing.

'Obamacare' Reclaimed: Barack Obama Campaign Launches Merchandise Line

Republicans have kept up a constant barrage against "Obamacare" this week, but President Barack Obama's campaign has quietly been running a massive grassroots and online push to reclaim the nickname critics have used to denigrate the Affordable Care Act.

In fact, Team Obama is about to take the selling of the president's health care law to a whole new level Saturday by kicking off a merchandise line, complete with T-shirts, bumper stickers and buttons, all proudly emblazoned with "Obamacare."

Ex-gf liked Sarah Palin on facebook and liked her post:

Mr. President, you're conspicuously absent from the 2-year anniversary of your "greatest accomplishment" (described by your VP as "a big f***ing deal"). Where's the party? Concerned citizens around the country recognized the 2-year anniversary of Obamacare by protesting its attack on religious liberty. Oral arguments on Obamacare start next Monday, March 26, before the Supreme Court. Voting out Obama starts on Nov. 6.

fucking dodged a bullet there..

I should mention that she's going to college for free as she lives with her mom who is severely underemployed. She hasn't had healthcare for over a year because her mom's company dropped it...

The fuck is wrong with people?

fenners

Ex-gf liked Sarah Palin on facebook and liked her post:

fucking dodged a bullet there..

I should mention that she's going to college for free as she lives with her mom who is severely underemployed. She hasn't had healthcare for over a year because her mom's company dropped it...

The fuck is wrong with people?

A friend like that post too out of the blue. Didn't think he was that way inclined.

I don't like it.
Obamacare is a problematic bill, there's plenty wrong with it, yeah, it's better than the alternative, but presenting it like it's a liberal's idea to how healthcare should work in this country is not smart.
Even from a practical standpoint this is not smart.
This is just like the stimulus.
I'd hardly say it goes as far as saying it's how liberals think healthcare shoud work. It's just marketing. The biggest "problem" with it is that it's about three years late. And this is coming from someone who viscerally hates "Obamacare," "Romneycare," and "the Bush Tax Cuts."

Think of it like "queer" or "bitch."

I don't like it.
Obamacare is a problematic bill, there's plenty wrong with it, yeah, it's better than the alternative, but presenting it like it's a liberal's idea to how healthcare should work in this country is not smart.
Even from a practical standpoint this is not smart.
This is just like the stimulus.

Like?

Chichikov

It still heavily rely on private, for profit insurance, and it doesn't do enough to control cost.
Also, it for the most part kept healthcare as a work benefit, which is also something I don't support.

Again, this is still better than nothing and miles better than Ryan's plan, but if you pretend it's the greatest thing, you'll be called out if it's not.

You should call out its benefits, you should point out what repealing it means (do you miss preexisting conditions? no? well they're coming back anyway), but don't act like this is what liberals thing healthcare should look like a modern country.

There is a [presently tiny] chance that I will get to spend my second year of graduate school at the Hague. Gonna get my Dutch-Land on.
Hague is like the most boring city in the world that doesn't have a sprout named after it.

It still heavily rely on private, for profit insurance, and it doesn't do enough to control cost.
Also, it for the most part kept healthcare as a work benefit, which is also something I don't support.

Again, this is still better than nothing and miles better than Ryan's plan, but if you pretend it's the greatest thing, you'll be called out if it's not.

You should call out its benefits, you should point out what repealing it means (do you miss preexisting conditions? no? well they're coming back anyway), but don't act like this is what liberals thing healthcare should look like a modern country.

Hague is like the most boring city in the world that doesn't have a sprout named after it.
I really don't think it's much more than an effort to take the sting out of "Obamacare."

The other possible alternative is Berlin. I've never been to Europe before; I figure either place would be a nice way to get out of the States for a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom