• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT4|: Your job is not to worry about 47% of these posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
another debate i missed but wow the mood here sure is different from last week.
ih4XEyqErEJno.jpg

ibxsQMA27uDUul.jpg

ibkq8h9XoUj7XV.jpg

ijljhfXePZDu3.jpg

(just replace Galadriel's face with a smiling Biden)

I think Biden won, sure. And I think the consensus will evince a Biden victory. But Ryan's performance was adequate. He was palpably uncomfortable commenting on foreign policy. And he was goaded into defending the privatization of social security. But he could have performed far worse.

No. Some are fixating on his mannerisms, but he didn't commit any egregious mistakes. He mostly dominated the debate in that the focus was entirely on him.

Lets do a check list:

1)You thought he was uncomfortable on foreign policy
2)He defended privatizing social security
3)He was clearly uncomfortable siding with Romney on abortion
4)He was arguing for possibly sending troops back into Iraq
5)Even the moderator trolled him for not having details on where he would cover the 5 trillion dollar tax cut
6)He got destroyed by Biden on the stimulus, by Biden saying Ryan wrote him letters asking for money

Yet you thought he was adequate?

Allard

I think Biden won, sure. And I think the consensus will evince a Biden victory. But Ryan's performance was adequate. He was palpably uncomfortable commenting on foreign policy. And he was goaded into defending the privatization of social security. But he could have performed far worse.

No. Some are fixating on his mannerisms, but he didn't commit any egregious mistakes. He mostly dominated the debate in that the focus was entirely on him.

Yeah Ryan didn't do 'bad' in the sense he had no meltdown on set (lets be honest, if most of us got berated like Biden did to him tonight, we'd be heading for the door or sweating like crazy, I know I would have probably given up mentally but eh I am not running for office). Foreign policy is the only section that he looked absolutely out of his league and might turn people off of Ryan. As others said during the debate it was like a diplomat debating with a teenage kid whose only foreign experience is playing Risk. In the end if Biden brought his A game, there really wasn't going to be a chance for Ryan to win, his very platform and running mate make for very hard content to actually debate in a confident fashion especially with a moderator actively watching out to see if you were answering the actual question. In fact I think the biggest winner in all this (to complete the reversal of the last debate) was the moderator.

Lets do a check list:

5)Even the moderator trolled him for not having details on where he would cover the 5 trillion dollar tax cut
6)He got destroyed by Biden on the stimulus, by Biden saying Ryan wrote him letters asking for money

I thought Syria was a bigger problem for Ryan than Iraq.

This really stood out for me.
That, and Ryan's fabricated car crash sob-story being absolutely crushed by Biden's real-life experience of a car crash.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Of course you would see it that way. I dislike all parties involved, so I would like to think I hold a slightly less skewed opinion.

Romney wanted his time and was insistent on getting it to the point of interrupting the moderator several times, but he was very courteous to Obama, outside of lying. I am only talking demeanor here.

Biden on the other hand was just being an ass.
I'm struggling to understand how claiming someone can be courteous, when they're outright lying about the person they are talking about over and over again and even doubling down on those lies, is in any way the less skewed opinion here.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
lol, yeah. Ryan basically seemed to say that their policy would be... um... to somehow go into the past and do it about the same, but better and sooner.

The epitome of the Romney Ryan ticket is merely to say that they will do things better without EVER giving a plan. Ryan had no response for anything and he looked foolish. He performed worse than Obama did, in my opinion. Biden looked a bit more harsh than Romney did, in my opinion, but still did a great job of explaining and defending opinions. He had far fewer dodges than Ryan and was mostly good across the board.

The only issue Ryan seemed to do exceptional on was Libya, in part because it's so gift wrapped. Biden contracted the State Department and seemed to throw the intelligence community under the bus. After that Biden pretty much got the ball back and never gave it back

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I'm struggling to understand how claiming someone can be courteous, when they're outright lying about the person they are talking about over and over again and even doubling down on those lies, is in any way the less skewed opinion here.

I am not talking about how you or I perceive Romney. I am not sure why this isn't being understood.

I am talking about how the public sees both instances. Romney came off more courteous because he wasn't grinning to himself, shaking his head, laughing and so on while Obama talked. He didn't interrupt Obama when he talked. His demeanor was courteous. Demeanor. Appearance.

Am I being understood now?

The only issue Ryan seemed to do exceptional on was Libya, in part because it's so gift wrapped. Biden contracted the State Department and seemed to throw the intelligence community under the bus. After that Biden pretty much got the ball back and never gave it back

I thought Biden did fine there, especially pointing out that Ryan cut the budget for embassy defense, to which Ryan completely ignored in rebuttal.

Also Biden won according to this poll http://www.google.com/insights/cons...kzuui&question=2&filter&rw=1&named_grouping=1

RDreamer

This Biden win was so much more delicious because of the reactions my dad and uncles had after Romney picked Paul Ryan. They all couldn't wait for this debate. They thought it would be a cakewalk and Ryan would walk all over mr. gaffe machine. I feel like calling my dad up tomorrow.

I am not talking about how you or I perceive Romney. I am not sure why this isn't being understood.

I am talking about how the public sees both instances. Romney came off more courteous because he wasn't grinning to himself, shaking his head, laughing and so on while Obama talked. He didn't interrupt Obama when he talked. His demeanor was courteous. Demeanor. Appearance.

Oh, so it's about the public's opinion now and not yours? I'm enjoying your goal post shifting :)

And why should Biden get slammed for interrupting someone who's telling a lie?

I'm gonna stand by my prediction from before the debate that this won't move the needle at all.

Does this mean Mitt will keep gaining at the same rate? Or that everything will freeze?

I think you'll see Dem enthusiasm tick up helping a bit but it will be impossible to discern from a fading bounce or whatnot.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Biden was kind of being a dick throughout the whole debate. I just don't see the bulk of Americans really enjoying that. I thought that Romney and Obama were mostly courteous, but Biden was being straight up disrespectful.

I am not saying Romney and Ryan's policies don't deserve that oftentimes, but being an attack dog is a fine line to walk in a debate. And Biden went from crazy joe to pit bull.

Of course you would see it that way. I dislike all parties involved, so I would like to think I hold a slightly less skewed opinion.

Romney wanted his time and was insistent on getting it to the point of interrupting the moderator several times, but he was very courteous to Obama, outside of lying. I am only talking demeanor here.

Biden on the other hand was just being an ass.

Sorry if I were not clear before, but I am definitely (and always have been) talking about how regular people view both performances. That is why I said I am viewing it as someone without biases towards one candidate vs another.

My apologies for not writing out my position better. I realize I came off like a jerk. My bad.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"

Not sure...let me see if I understand this public you presume to speak for. So, if I walk up to one of these public people with a pleasant demeanor and, without interrupting them or laughing, shaking my head or otherwise "smirking" proceed to insult them and everything they do on the basis of unsubstantiated claims...these public people would consider me courteous?

Jackson50

Yeah Ryan didn't do 'bad' in the sense he had no meltdown on set (lets be honest, if most of us got berated like Biden did to him tonight, we'd be heading for the door or sweating like crazy, I know I would have probably given up mentally but eh I am not running for office). Foreign policy is the only section that he looked absolutely out of his league and might turn people off of Ryan. As others said during the debate it was like a diplomat debating with a teenage kid whose only foreign experience is playing Risk. In the end if Biden brought his A game, there really wasn't going to be a chance for Ryan to win, his very platform and running mate make for very hard content to actually debate in a confident fashion especially with a moderator actively watching out to see if you were answering the actual question. In fact I think the biggest winner in all this (to complete the reversal of the last debate) was the moderator.
His affectations on foreign policy were clear. It evoked Bush's performance in 2000. He seemed knowledgeable, yet it was a facile understanding gained by debate preparation. Too, it doesn't help that the Romney campaign has failed to develop a coherent policy for him to remember.
Lets do a check list:

I was attempting to highlight the inanity of that assessment by noting examples of his total inadequacy.

Does this mean Mitt will keep gaining at the same rate? Or that everything will freeze?

I think you'll see Dem enthusiasm tick up helping a bit but it will be impossible to discern from a fading bounce or whatnot.

I don't know that Mitt's gains will continue (that will depend on Tuesday) but I don't see this causing any clear gains for Obama/Biden from this.

If anything, the race might just stabilize.

pigeon

Banned
Sorry if I were not clear before, but I am definitely (and always have been) talking about how regular people view both performances. That is why I said I am viewing it as someone without biases towards one candidate vs another.

My apologies for not writing out my position better. I realize I came off like a jerk. My bad.

I think this is not unreasonable in general, but I'd say comparing the President of the United States to a small child is pretty breathtakingly rude regardless of your biases.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
What? Yes he was. "Smirking Romney, face down Obama" was like THE synoptic image of that debate.

While you do have a point, I guess I didn't see that much because that stupid enigmatic grin is always on Romney's face whenever he is doing anything. Literally. He probably has that look while sleeping or getting a colonoscopy. Look up interviews he has done or Q&A sessions, that look is frozen on his face. FOREVER.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Not sure...let me see if I understand this public you presume to speak for. So, if I walk up to one of these public people with a pleasant demeanor and, without interrupting them or laughing, shaking my head or otherwise "smirking" proceed to insult them and everything they do on the basis of unsubstantiated claims...these public people would consider me courteous?

YES! If they didn't know you were lying, they absolutely would. and I am not talking about you going up and lying to people in their faces, but someone observing such an exchange, not knowing whether you were lying or not, would absolutely find your conversation and demeanor pleasant.

Now, If you went up to someone in the same interaction and constantly interrupted them, corrected them, laughed at them and chuckled to yourself why they talking, even if you were correcting someone spouting falsities to the tune of Paul Ryan, people would see you as an arrogant prick.

Tell me if I am wrong here...

I don't know that Mitt's gains will continue (that will depend on Tuesday) but I don't see this causing any clear gains for Obama/Biden from this.

Yeah, I think stabalize is a good word.

Thing is, this weekend if Romney's best polling was on Thurs/Fri/Sat of last week, we'll see a drop by Sunday/Monday. Some will call it a Biden Bounce but it could just be the previous bounce fading + stablization from Biden.

Word to the wise, expect Obama's lead to drop tomorrow. IIRC, Obama still had decent numbers right after the 1st debate in the 7 day trackers. So last week Thursday numbers coming out for today should hurt. Don't panic, it's expected!

If it doesn't drop, that would mean today was a good day for Obama (and/or last thursday was a bit better for Romney)

HylianTom

Banned

I could see some Dems coming home in the polls and/or in enthusiasm. But that's about it.

Fortunately, if we were to freeze the race right here where it is, I'd love our chances in the Electoral College.

While you do have a point, I guess I didn't see that much because that stupid enigmatic grin is always on Romney's face whenever he is doing anything. Literally. He probably has that look while sleeping or getting a colonoscopy. Look up interviews he has done or Q&A sessions, that look is frozen on his face. FOREVER.
Its his screensaver.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Not moving the needle is a win for the Obama campaign.

Especially since he still leads dramatically in EV math. It would take a titanic effort on Romney's part in the next two debates and Obama weeping on stage in a child-like and effeminate (not endearing) manner to change any of that. Obama is still a lock.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
YES! If they didn't know you were lying, they absolutely would.
But this isn't a case where the statements he's making can't be easily verified. Most of the claims he made in the first debate were claims he's already tried on the campaign trail and have been amply documented and debunked. If anyone watching the debates bothered to stick around for even 10 minutes of the post debate analysis on just about any channel (except...) they'd have seen the early reaction favoring Romney's win but still calling him out for the dishonesty. Pick up a newspaper the next day and that would be reinforced further. Or, just Google for 5 minutes. Any notion of "courtesy" would be fleeting.

HylianTom

Banned
Especially since he still leads dramatically in EV math. It would take a titanic effort on Romney's part in the next two debates and Obama weeping on stage in a child-like and effeminate (not endearing) manner to change any of that. Obama is still a lock.
And as more and more votes are banked in Ohio, further baking a lead in the vote tally there, Obama's position in this race gets more and more secure.

To conservatives living in a media/cultural bubble, thinking that Romney is "surging" into some sort of narrow national lead, Election Night could very well end-up being a very nasty shock.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

Pretty much. If polls stabilize between now and Tuesday as I suspect they will and Obama has a decent (not even "amazing," just "decent") performance in Tuesday's debate, this whole thing will be virtually over barring some kind of gargantuan catastrophe. And it will be hard for Obama to NOT have a decent performance on Tuesday. He has lowered expectations due to his performance in the first debate, the town hall setup should be relatively favorable to him, he knows how people responded to his performance in the first debate, and any aggressiveness on his part to make up for his weakness in the first debate will seem like a reasonable step down from what Biden did tonight. As long as he shows some energy and engagement and is able to articulate his positions, he'll at least earn a "draw" at the very least, and at this stage in the game, with so little time left and with the firewall still intact in the Electoral College, anything that is not a smashing Romney win is inherently an Obama victory.

Pretty much. If polls stabilize between now and Tuesday as I suspect they will and Obama has a decent (not even "amazing," just "decent") performance in Tuesday's debate, this whole thing will be virtually over barring some kind of gargantuan catastrophe. And it will be hard for Obama to NOT have a decent performance on Tuesday. He has lowered expectations due to his performance in the first debate, the town hall setup should be relatively favorable to him, he knows how people responded to his performance in the first debate, and any aggressiveness on his part to make up for his weakness in the first debate will seem like a reasonable step down from what Biden did tonight. As long as he shows some energy and engagement and is able to articulate his positions, he'll at least earn a "draw" at the very least, and at this stage in the game, with so little time left and with the firewall still intact in the Electoral College, anything that is not a smashing Romney win is inherently an Obama victory.

Everyone but Obama has delivered at this point. Clinton and Biden put their best out there it's up to him now.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
But this isn't a case where the statements he's making can't be easily verified. Most of the claims he made in the first debate were claims he's already tried on the campaign trail and have been amply documented and debunked. If anyone watching the debates bothered to stick around for even 10 minutes of the post debate analysis on just about any channel (except...) they'd have seen the early reaction favoring Romney's win but still calling him out for the dishonesty. Pick up a newspaper the next day and that would be reinforced further. Or, just Google for 5 minutes. Any notion of "courtesy" would be fleeting.

This is the American public we are talking about. Those lucky few of us on GAF are the most informed of the electorate. The internet itself is pretty liberal, but then you have the millions and millions of adults who vote who don't have time for, nor care to find out about the concrete plans of both candidates. They turned off the TV after the debate or watched their local news.

My proof is Romney's sustained bump. Had everyone run to find out all the bunk Romney was staying truly was bunk, his bump would have been very slight, non-existent or HIGHLY temporary.

Instead, the most trusted pollster and aggregate in the business, Nate Silver, says that Romney is back up to almost a 1 in 3 chance of winning the election without any other thing happening in the last week and a half.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
As an aside, it would be entertaining to see Romney win the popular vote, but lose the Electoral College by 20+ votes. All of the backlash against the EC would disappear in an instant. :p

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
I'm gonna stand by my prediction from before the debate that this won't move the needle at all.

Of course not, it would only move it if the media in unison declared Biden the overwhelming winner, in an amazingly perfect performance never seen before on the presidential stage!

I still think Romney's momentum was completely created by the media.

thekad

Banned
Romney is a better debater than Obama. He'll probably "win" both debates. Maybe the foreign policy debate will be a draw since Romney is truly out of his element there, but he'll sell his bullshit more effectively than Ryan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom