• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT4|: Your job is not to worry about 47% of these posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaltJay

To be the first Mormon President.

That is Bill Maher's theory and I agree with it. I think when you get that rich, what else is there to do? He's just adding zeros and commas to his bank account. Maybe it became boring?

Running for President is not necessarily the next logical step, but it is a history-making goal, especially when you add in the Mormon aspect.

Other than that, I have no idea why he's running. His background/career doesn't really line up with the typical politician's.

Cloudy

Banned
If it comes down to OH you really have to wonder if the state GOP is going to pull any last-minute bullshit to invalidate votes. They've been tenacious in their efforts to do so thus far.

Yeah the way these state polls are going, Obama really needs OH

markatisu

What the hell? Poll Iowa already, ffs, there's enough pollsters out there perfectly capable of doing it...

This is the most fucked up election cycle ever. More nail biting than 2000 perhaps, but I wasn't politically engaged back then (nor could I vote).

They don't need to poll Iowa, its going for Obama.

But you will of course have a nervous breakdown everyday till the election. There is not a eye rolling smiley good enough for this

Romney is not getting IA and he is not getting OH, but you guys can keep making your days worse thinking it will flip

I forgot last Sunday was good for Obama as Monday went up.

I guess on Sunday we should see Obama go up then back down Monday and hopefully steady or up Tuesday.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Lol. Screwed because Obama hates debates. That would be such a good book for the post election reading cycle. Game change for 2012.

Just chill out guys.

4ptDE.gif

pigeon

Banned
I feel like Nate Silver is deliberately trying to stress me out.

I'm going to assume for the moment that the biggest problem was an enthusiasm shift since everybody's so mad at Obama and so hopefully things will look up now that Biden ripped off Ryan's head and carried it through the streets of Chicago yelling "BEHOLD THE FATE OF THOSE WHO WOULD PRIVATIZE SOCIAL SECURITY!"

Diablos

Romney is not getting IA and he is not getting OH, but you guys can keep making your days worse thinking it will flip
Uh if IA hasn't been seriously polled in quite some time and OH is within 2-3 points how can you say that with confidence?

This election is totally up for grabs, to think otherwise is a bit premature.

SmokeMaxX

Uh if IA hasn't been seriously polled in quite some time and OH is within 2-3 points how can you say that with confidence?

Since when is a 66% chance of winning "up for grabs"?

Cloudy

Banned
Lol. Screwed because Obama hates debates. That would be such a good book for the post election reading cycle. Game change for 2012.

There is no way an election turns on a debate. Anyone voting for Romney based on a debate was going to stay home or go with Romney eventually anyway. That said, Obama has to show some fight, defend his record and fire up his base as well

markatisu

Because I live in the Capital City of Des Moines and see the amount of Obama signs around the state as well as the daily news coverage of early voting going in Obama's favor

But you keep thinking what you want ;)

Diablos

That 66% was 87% on the 4th, and if Obama can't figure out a way to stop the bleeding it's going to drop even more. And so far, polling has indicated that Romney is finding himself in a stronger position by the day.

And frankly any election that is going to be decided by either one or two states is totally in "up for grabs" territory, i.e. 2004.

Because I live in the Capital City of Des Moines and see the amount of Obama signs around the state as well as the daily news coverage of early voting going in Obama's favor

Drive up to your local news stations and tell them they need to do some god damn polling!

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
There is no way an election turns on a debate. Anyone voting for Romney based on a debate was going to stay home or go with Romney eventually anyway. That said, Obama has to show some fight, defend his record and fire up his base as well

Debates are historically very important, especially for challengers who have been defined by their opponents.

I'm not at the point yet where I think Obama will lose.

However, if the American people actually let themselves get hoodwinked by Romney entirely on the basis of a good debate, they deserve whatever comes of his presidency.

So I live in the city proper in Cincinnati i.e. ZOMG BLACK PEOPLE.

So today I saw this giant "VOTER FRAUD = 2.5 years and $10,000 FINE" billboard. Paid for by an anonymous group: "paid for by a private family foundation".

None in the wealthy white neighborhoods here from what I hear.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

It sounds like a bigger lead than it is. If it were 66% of voters, that would be a nice solid inescapable victory. But put it this way, if you had a 66% chance of calling heads on a coin toss, would you bet your job on that coin toss?

HylianTom

Banned
Romney's also going to have to overcome a more and more solid vote deficit being baked into Ohio's tally day by day. 20% have already voted, with nearly a two-to-one advantage for Obama. The longer this goes on, the steeper Romney's climb gets there.

If anything, we may very well be looking at an electoral-popular split. It's looking more and more likely as time goes by, I think.

Should Romney pull a win out of his ass, I agree - America deserves whatever misery comes its way. My long-term plans won't be adjusted all that much.

codhand

Agree, east coaster here, but reports I hear from Cedar Falls, that they love Obama. Bams went hard in the Iowa paint. How many campaign speeches did he give there?

AniHawk

i'd just be surprised as hell that with three weeks left, the romney campaign doesn't shit the bed on something. they've only ever had one good day.

obama really does need to bring it to the next two debates though. this shit sucks. however, i'm of the mind that romney wouldn't be an altogether bad president. the worst thing would be the supreme court. scalia, kennedy, and ginsberg would probably retire.

but, if romney's president for the next 4-8 years, it might be the gop's last stand unless they get hispanic voters on their side in a big way.

Crisco

Banned
That 66% was 87% on the 4th, and if Obama can't figure out a way to stop the bleeding it's going to drop even more. And so far, polling has indicated that Romney is finding himself in a stronger position by the day.

And frankly any election that is going to be decided by either one or two states is totally in "up for grabs" territory, i.e. 2004.

Drive up to your local news stations and tell them they need to do some god damn polling!

2004 is an apt comparison, but not in the way you think. We all wanted to believe the optimistic polling for Kerry leading up to election night. Bush ended up winning Ohio, Florida, the southwest, and the popular vote decisively. The race was never as close as we hoped it was.

ivysaur12

Banned
If anything, we may very well be looking at an electoral-popular split. It's looking more and more likely as time goes by.

That's what I'm thinking. It's still likely Obama will win the electoral college.

At the same time, I can't help but think that the second debate for Obama will go considerably better and help turn this around. Hell, I think Joe did that last night.

It wasn't just a debate though. Getting beat is one thing - as a sports fan you know there are games where your team is just outmatched, gives their all but still loses. But there are also games where your team completely gives up (like say, Kobe against the Suns a few years ago in the playoffs). No one respects that. I think Obama went in with an attitude that because he believes debates are meaningless, he wasn't going to take it seriously. Voters saw someone who looked at times disengaged, at times outmatched, and at times feckless. In short: unpresidential.

Before the debate most voters may have liked or disliked Obama, but believed he was doing his best and working hard. After that debate there have been multiple people questioning that. If he can't fight to save his own job, why should voters vote for him? Likewise from a dem perspective, if he can't fight for himself why should they fight for him? Hence why you had some voters turned off by it, and other voters completely demoralized by it.

markatisu

In your hourly over-accelerated panic did you ever stop to wonder WHY there is not a lot of polling going on for IA?

Why poll when you already know the results. I have been through every election since 2000 here and I know what a GOP win looks like as well as what a Democratic wave looks like. Things around here appear like 2008, especially since due to Obama's natural energy (aka the Wind tax credits) we have lower UE then most of the nation.

Diablos

That's what I'm thinking. It's still likely Obama will win the electoral college.

At the same time, I can't help but think that the second debate for Obama will go considerably better and help turn this around. Hell, I think Joe did that last night.
Joe might have done so, but how many people watched it? I doubt it was 68 million. Furthermore, he's the VP and not the Pres so he can only have so much of an impact, but hopefully it fired up the base.

ivysaur12

Banned
Joe might have done so, but how many people watched it? I doubt it was 68 million. Furthermore, he's the VP and not the Pres so he can only have so much of an impact, but hopefully it fired up the base.

It doesn't matter. Will it stop the bleeding? Yes. Will it fire up the base? Yes. Will it get some great talking points? Yes. Will it be a good lead-in for the next debate? Yes.

XenodudeX

Anecdotal evidence, but I agree Obama will win IA.

pigeon

Banned

Why do you think the polls were slumping though? I'll give you a hint -- "swing and undecided voters all changed their position" is probably not the right answer.

markatisu

Rough estimates from ratings sites like TVbythenumbers show ~30-40m watched the debates on the main channels (not counting cable)

It wasn't just a debate though. Getting beat is one thing - as a sports fan you know there are games where your team is just outmatched, gives their all but still loses. But there are also games where your team completely gives up (like say, Kobe against the Suns a few years ago in the playoffs). No one respects that. I think Obama went in with an attitude that because he believes debates are meaningless, he wasn't going to take it seriously. Voters saw someone who looked at times disengaged, at times outmatched, and at times feckless. In short: unpresidential.

Before the debate most voters may have liked or disliked Obama, but believed he was doing his best and working hard. After that debate there have been multiple people questioning that. If he can't fight to save his own job, why should voters vote for him? Likewise from a dem perspective, if he can't fight for himself why should they fight for him? Hence why you had some voters turned off by it, and other voters completely demoralized by it.
I hate to say it but PD's right. I don't even think Obama's performance was that bad, but everyone else stepped up when they needed to. Who honestly expected Biden to blow Ryan out of the water? Who thought Clinton would give such an impassioned defense of Obama and the Democratic ideal?

isoquant

markatisu

Anecdotal evidence, but I agree Obama will win IA.

Not as anecdotal as you might believe, the way the state is structured there are 3 massive population centers (Des Moines, IA City and Cedar Falls) which also correlate with the big 3 Universities (often liberal and Democrat)

The states borders and surrounding areas are Republican but also very small in population, they are also massively Hispanic. We have 3 formerly GOP leaning counties that are Democratic now thanks to the influx of Hispanics since 2000 (some counties have over 500% growth)

So yeah while saying I see signs is not hard proof, if anyone takes 5min to study the state since 2000 they would see why no major polling is being done. Obama is not stupid, he made his 1st win here and has come back repeatedly for a reason.

The media narrative killed him. It explains why pols turned sorry Friday instead of Thursday. I can't remember he media like that. If the idiotic liberals knew how to support their own I bet there wouldn't be a bounce.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon

So what you are saying is that you were completely full of shit this entire time because there is no way you could have foreseen how that debate was going to go?

markatisu

The media narrative killed him. It explains why pols turned sorry Friday instead of Thursday. I can't remember he media like that. If the idiotic liberals knew how to support their own I bet there wouldn't be a bounce.

You mean if the media has not embodied the mindset of Diablos lol

HylianTom

Banned
Not as anecdotal as you might believe, the way the state is structured there are 3 massive population centers (Des Moines, IA City and Cedar Falls) which also correlate with the big 3 Universities (often liberal and Democrat)

The states borders and surrounding areas are Republican but also very small in population, they are also massively Hispanic. We have 3 formerly GOP leaning counties that are Democratic now thanks to the influx of Hispanics since 2000 (some counties have over 500% growth)

So yeah while saying I see signs is not hard proof, if anyone takes 5min to study the state since 2000 they would see why no major polling is being done. Obama is not stupid, he made his 1st win here and has come back repeatedly for a reason.
Obama knows that Iowa could very well be the swing state that kicks him over the 270 mark..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom