• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT4|: Your job is not to worry about 47% of these posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Might have to remind me in a bit. I have a five page paper due in a few hours. Not a huge deal; just medical ethics- but gonna soak up some time.

Are you a 1st year? Those ethics classes are garbage. I guess they are good for critical thinking exercises, but anyone with fucked ethics won't be learning how to be ethically just.

I'm noticing more of a back-and-forth of optimism and pessimism, not "chicken little-ing". Admit it, this is getting tighter than anyone anticipated and we don't know exactly where it's going to land right now.

The question now is if Obama can at least negate his first debate performance (or lack thereof). There's going to be a lot riding on it.

Romney has probably practiced for Tuesday like 500 times in his sleep by now, heh.
I wonder if either candidate has dreams where they show up to the debate not wearing pants or something.

AniHawk

The question now is if Obama can at least negate his first debate performance (or lack thereof). There's going to be a lot riding on it.

i think the town hall is inherently good for him and inherently bad for romney. it'll probably be seen as a tie if romney doesn't completely implode. on substance, obama can talk about support for hispanics and women, too.

the foreign policy debate is the real round two in my eyes. the format is like the first, but obama needs to go on the attack and defend his accomplishments overseas.

and keep it simple.

'i said we'd end the war in iraq. we did. i said we'd kill osama bin laden. he's dead. i said we'll end the war in afghanistan. we will.'

watershed

Banned
Is this upcoming debate one of the most important debates in the history of America? Or was the first one even more important?

This one is important because of how disastrous Obama was in the first one. Had Obama won or even tied the debate his support wouldn't have fallen through the floorboards and there wouldn't be as much pressure now. It seems to be a given that Obama's support was soft prior to the first debate and that Republicans were not energized about voting for Romney. Had Obama won the debate he would have solidified that soft support and further depressed Republicans.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
the foreign policy debate is the real round two in my eyes. the format is like the first, but obama needs to go on the attack and defend his accomplishments overseas.

and keep it simple.

'i said we'd end the war in iraq. we did. i said we'd kill osama bin laden. he's dead. i said we'll end the war in afghanistan. we will.'

The FP debate seems like such a gimme for Obama. There's basically a 0% chance of him losing that one on substance. Of course, as we all know, substance is only a minor obstruction from the real value in debates: optics.

Serious question:

How many of you would move out of the U.S. if Romney wins?

If I wasn't tied to the States, I would most certainly do it. Escape the austerity menace before it hits.

I've seen this type of campaign before from Republicans. The solution always involves cuts.

Diablos

Serious question:

If I wasn't tied to the States, I would most certainly do it. Escape the austerity menace before it hits.

I've seen this type of campaign before from Republicans. The solution always involves cuts.
It would be hard to leave but I suppose I could. I don't really have the means to though.

The FP debate seems like such a gimme for Obama. There's basically a 0% chance of him losing that one on substance. Of course, as we all know, substance is only a minor obstruction from the real value in debates: optics.

He'll lose that one because everyone will ignore Romney's disastrous policies on Russia, China, Iran, Syria, etc. to just focus on Libya. Obama needs to cut that shit off now.

That's been a takeaway from the VP debate.

"Let's ignore the fact that Ryan couldn't come up with specifics for their economic recovery plan. Let's FOCUS ON LIBYA!"

The typical voter eats it up. The United States electorate always looks for a way to vote for the conservative.

Is this upcoming debate one of the most important debates in the history of America? Or was the first one even more important?
2nd debate is lot more dynamic than carefully scripted choreography of face to face moderated debates. Townhall style debate allows you to connect with the people and show that you're not a robot. Kerry faltered here.

Benghazi. If Romney wants to bring up the mother of the guy who died, he can make Bams REAL uncomfortable and make him look like an unsympathetic ass. Also, the "bump in the road" comment. I don't think voters care THAT much about Foreign policy - it's over their heads for the most part.

watershed

Banned
Serious question:

I can honestly say that I wouldn't move out of the US because I am already living outside the country. But I can also honestly say that I might choose not to come back for a bit if Romney is elected because I would be coming back without a job and I don't want to potentially be without health insurance and unemployed in a country subject to President Romney and Vice President Ryan's policies.

SmokeMaxX

Are you a 1st year? Those ethics classes are garbage. I guess they are good for critical thinking exercises, but anyone with fucked ethics won't be learning how to be ethically just.

Nah, I'm an M2. Our med school decided to give us ethics in year 2 for some reason. Not too bad though- I was a Philosophy minor. Could've majored in it, but didn't want to take the extra classes my senior year. But yeah, I totally know what you're saying. Everytime we have ethical discussions, most of my group is more concerned about whether they're protected legally than whether they're best serving their patients.

I can honestly say that I wouldn't move out of the US because I am already living outside the country. But I can also honestly say that I might choose not to come back for a bit if Romney is elected because I would be coming back without a job and I don't want to potentially be without health insurance and unemployed in a country subject to President Romney and Vice President Ryan's policies.

This is me, verbatim.

Serious question:

I'd consider it. I'm a hop and a skip away from Canada.

I've been thinking about it for other reasons so it's not just like the dumbasses who threatened to move after Kerry lost (or McCain... LOL have fun), but it'd certainly be a factor.

Even just thinking about health insurance, PPACA is sufficient enough that I wouldn't move to Canada for their single-payer. I have no faith however that Romney's replace plan would be anything more than a one-page bill that says "Hey insurance companies, don't be jerks lol" followed by doodles of penises.

SmokeMaxX

As much as I'd hate a Romney Presidency, I think people are overreacting. Moving out of the country? That's the garbage I heard when Obama was elected. Didn't realize people on here had similar feelings.

Crisco

Banned
Serious question:

I'd probably move to Costa Rica with my girlfriend. It's her home country and she wants to go back anyway. I could make a pretty comfortable living there as a freelance software developer.

Libya. Biden was tripped up on it last night, and Obama won't do much better. The administration's response has been all over the place. Granted it's not entirely their fault, but I have no confidence in Obama explaining that (unless he throws the CIA under the bus like Biden did).

Obama should have the edge on everything else though, as Biden did. But can Obama communicate US foreign policy successes effectively, as Biden did? Can he demonstrate Romney is all bluster, but ultimately many of his positions (Iran sanctions, Syria, etc) mirror the administration's to a degree? I'm not convinced.

As much as I'd hate a Romney Presidency, I think people are overreacting. Moving out of the country? That's the garbage I heard when Obama was elected. Didn't realize people on here had similar feelings.

Honestly, the people who said they were going to move out of the country if Bush got a second term were right.

I've come to realize that I was wrong to view it as hyperbole. They were fucking right.

Serious question:

I graduate in June so I could probably swing it. I've been considering doing it either way though

This one is important because of how disastrous Obama was in the first one. Had Obama won or even tied the debate his support wouldn't have fallen through the floorboards and there wouldn't be as much pressure now. It seems to be a given that Obama's support was soft prior to the first debate and that Republicans were not energized about voting for Romney. Had Obama won the debate he would have solidified that soft support and further depressed Republicans.

Yeah, it's just shitty that so much rests on this one night next week, because of how much shit changed from just one night last week. I really hate American voters. I really just hate democracy in general.

AniHawk

Serious question:

i would consider it, but only maybe late next year. i don't have much tying me down here, aside from my job- which i love.

and it would only be if things were obviously taking a downturn or moving in a direction i didn't want.

...and it's not like i haven't considered it before, for other reasons.

pigeon

Banned
I think it's because this is the last thing anyone expected at this point. No one ever imagined the first debate would go down like it did, nor was anyone prepared for the aftermath.

This is truly like a bad dream, this is the worst October ever.

Do you have any idea how much damage your posts do to the forces of reason around here?

That is simply not true. The immediate debate snap polls that came out that night showed Obama lost decisively. 68 million people watched, more than both conventions combined. The response was unanimous even without a media freakout. People saw Obama get owned while Romney looked like the actual president.

Who is disagreeing that Obama lost and that most people saw that?

No one.

Difference is the narrative portrayed exasperated it badly. Had it been the reverse, same numbers, but Fox and CNN etc shilling for Romney despite losing, the effect would be far less.

The fact that the media was unanimous and liberals where floundering is what drove the narrative. Had the media spent all their time talking about how Mitt was flopping and lying on positions all of a sudden, people would have said "yeah, Obama lost but man Romney was nothing but a flip-flopper the whole time."

I gotta say that Biden will forever be my hero for last night no matter what happens on election day.

Completely agree. I was cheering like it was a playoff game and my team was winning. I'm sure there's a more entertaining way I could have said that but I don't know much about sports so I suck with the sports metaphors.

Jackson50

Foreign policy is rarely a salient campaign topic, so I'm even less concerned about the outcome of that debate. Still, I don't expect Romney to win by bluster. He's hardly more knowledgeable than Ryan. And Republicans, as has been the case throughout Obama's first term, cannot seem to coordinate an effective response on foreign policy. Their response to Libya accentuates their incompetence. Of their myriad attempts to manufacture a scandal, the response to Libya was most pitiful. And their claims about Obama's foreign policy "unraveling" is laughable.

I actually never gave much thought to the real implications of elections and how they would cause people to get the hell out until I was talking to a friend - who is gay - about it. He said he would think about moving to Canada if Romney won mainly because he'd see a Romney victory as a sound rejection of Obama's gay marriage endorsement. I know that's not really on the typical undecided voter's mind at the moment, but it's a reminder that there's still injustices in this country and Romney would only further perpetuate them.

It probably hits closer to home because we also have the marriage amendment here, and it's kind of hazy whether it'll pass or fail. This is kind of why I'm still enthused about Obama. A crummy debate performance doesn't change him getting healthcare done, repealing DADT, endorsing gay marriage, saving the auto industry etc.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
He'll lose that one because everyone will ignore Romney's disastrous policies on Russia, China, Iran, Syria, etc. to just focus on Libya. Obama needs to cut that shit off now.

That's been a takeaway from the VP debate.

"Let's ignore the fact that Ryan couldn't come up with specifics for their economic recovery plan. Let's FOCUS ON LIBYA!"

The typical voter eats it up. The United States electorate always looks for a way to vote for the conservative.

Libya's kind of a weak sister though. Obama just needs to hit on this repeatedly.

Benghazi. If Romney wants to bring up the mother of the guy who died, he can make Bams REAL uncomfortable and make him look like an unsympathetic ass. Also, the "bump in the road" comment. I don't think voters care THAT much about Foreign policy - it's over their heads for the most part.
Wait, why would that make Obama so uncomfortable again? You're talking about the mother who publicly asked Romney to stop using her son's death for political gains right?

Foreign policy is rarely a salient campaign topic, so I'm even less concerned about the outcome of that debate. Still, I don't expect Romney to win by bluster. He's hardly more knowledgeable than Ryan. And Republicans, as has been the case throughout Obama's first term, cannot seem to coordinate an effective response on foreign policy. Their response to Libya accentuates their incompetence. Of their myriad attempts to manufacture a scandal, the response to Libya was most pitiful. And their claims about Obama's foreign policy "unraveling" is laughable.

Even more laughable was the debut attack about Obama saying in 2008 that you have to scare the voters into voting for you. Or something to the like. He said it a couple times and no one knew what the fuck he was talking about or even cared.

I actually never gave much thought to the real implications of elections and how they would cause people to get the hell out until I was talking to a friend - who is gay - about it. He said he would think about moving to Canada if Romney won mainly because he'd see a Romney victory as a sound rejection of Obama's gay marriage endorsement. I know that's not really on the typical undecided voter's mind at the moment, but it's a reminder that there's still injustices in this country and Romney would only further perpetuate them.

It probably hits closer to home because we also have the marriage amendment here, and it's kind of hazy whether it'll pass or fail. This is kind of why I'm still enthused about Obama. A crummy debate performance doesn't change him getting healthcare done, repealing DADT, endorsing gay marriage, saving the auto industry etc.

well said.

Serious question:

I'm already stationed in Germany. I'd seriously consider it once my contract was up.

ivysaur12

Banned

This is how I feel. A win for Romney is will allow for SCOTUS appointees who will continue to view me as a second class citizen. Failure is not an option.

saelz8

One of the biggest fascinations I have is how the Tea Party will react to Romney's governing, given he's in office. Romney's going to have make some concessions, and the Tea Party have always made clear they are not fans of that. I suspect he'll also outright ignore many of their wishes, simply because he doesn't agree with them. That should piss many of them off. We'll see if it was about principles or about Obama in particular. I think most here would agree with me, it's the latter.

I really don't see "Government" shrinking in any meaningful way. (It'll grow, from what I can gather)

Are many of these people going to go from criticizing everything to defending everything? Many of our policies will stay the same, or stay similar enough to not warrant any kind of real comment. They built their movement on opposing every facet of government, so it'll be interesting to see if they can criticize someone they voted for if they keep many of the same policies going.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom