• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT4|: Your job is not to worry about 47% of these posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RDreamer

What's more important in Gallup polling for when the election draws near: LV or RV?

Isn't the answer somewhere between the two? And don't the numbers sometimes slowly converge as it gets closer to election? Also, if you're talking a state like Ohio I think Obama's ground game probably puts it closer to the RV number than the LV.

Sealda

Banned
Its funny how every time someone argues against O or B on any topic, not even on politics but like rhetoric or appearance in interviews and debates. They get insulted by Lib-gaf. I mean personal insults. I do not understand this hate from both sides fans for each other.

If someone says "I like Romneys view on X". He can be certain to get replies such "i want some of what your smokin son", "oh how is Saturnus these days?", must be great to be so ignorant".

I am sure i will get these replies now:

"ehhhhhh maybe its bcus Romney is a bat insane robot"

"ehhhhhh maybe bcus Obamarama knows what he is doing unlike Ryan/Romney who are lying fools"

"U mad?"

" Biden or Obama pic/meme saying some bs to make fun of whoever its a reply to"

"all of above just to be fun"

"wow Republicans sure are getting desperate"

"obscure poligaf reference to some teaparty nutty who got banned or left"

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Its funny how every time someone argues against O or B on any topic, not even on politics but like rhetoric or appearance in interviews and debates. They get insulted by Lib-gaf. I mean personal insults. I do not understand this hate from both sides fans for each other.

If someone says "I like Romneys view on X". He can be certain to get replies such "i want some of what your smokin son", "oh how is Saturnus these days?", must be great to be so ignorant".

"ehhhhhh maybe bcus Obamarama knows what he is doing unlike Ryan/Romney who are lying fools"

"U mad?"

That is funny.

Forever

Banned

"U mad?"

You're such a victim.

Cheebo

Banned
Any thoughts on the situation in Ohio?
My gut is he wins Ohio and eeks out a very very very slim 2000/2004 victory. I am pretty convinced unless he turns polling around he will lose the popular vote regardless if he wins the EC though. The red states really really hate him, there are going to be some insane margins in the bible belt.

A lot hinges on Tuesday, a must win. If Romney leads the post debate polls of who won Obama will lose the election.

kirblar

Why would you even listen to Rassmussen? They've made it clear that they're in the business of providing the GOP what they want to hear. (And it's a very lucrative business, as Rupert Murdoch can attest.)

The red states really really hate him, there are going to be some insane margins in the bible belt.
This is really what Silver and others were missing re: the disparity between swing state and national numbers over the past 6 months. It indicated Romney's support was being buffeted by voters in states he was going to win anyway.

pigeon

Banned

It might just be you.

Diablos

My gut is he wins Ohio and eeks out a very very very slim 2000/2004 victory. I am pretty convinced unless he turns polling around he will lose the popular vote regardless if he wins the EC though. The red states really really hate him, there are going to be some insane margins in the bible belt.
If he doesn't win the popular vote there's gonna be lawsuits out the wazoo from the GOP. It'll be like 2000 all over again.

If he wins OH then I think he'll get NM and probably NV. That should hopefully put him ahead.

Every Democrat I talk to (outside of PoliGAF) is "chicken-littling". And that's cause for concern. Everyone is still upset at how Obama bombed the first debate and are feeling really uneasy about his chances etc.

Why would you even listen to Rassmussen? They've made it clear that they're in the business of providing the GOP what they want to hear. (And it's a very lucrative business, as Rupert Murdoch can attest.)

This is really what Silver and others were missing re: the disparity between swing state and national numbers over the past 6 months. It indicated Romney's support was being buffeted by voters in states he was going to win anyway.
If memory serves they were the most accurate in their election day polling back in 08.

RDreamer

"U mad?"

tODGE.jpg

Forever

Banned
If he doesn't win the popular vote there's gonna be lawsuits out the wazoo from the GOP. It'll be like 2000 all over again.

If he wins OH then I think he'll get NM and probably NV. That should hopefully put him ahead.

Every Democrat I talk to (outside of PoliGAF) is "chicken-littling". And that's cause for concern. Everyone is still upset at how Obama bombed the first debate and are feeling really uneasy about his chances etc.

We were on that ledge until the Ohio numbers came out. Show them the Ohio poll and the electoral map and tell them to chill out.

"U mad?"

There was a perfectly civil and constructive conversation with RicochetJ recently, mostly because he didn't come in with his hackles already up. You know, like this.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
If memory serves they were the most accurate in their election day polling back in 08.

I KNOW you know that they change their models towards the end because it's been posted at least five times in here and you are a regular. You just want us to affirm you. Well no sir not doing it. OBAMA DOOM

Diablos

We were on that ledge until the Ohio numbers came out. Show them the Ohio poll and the electoral map and tell them to chill out.
Thing is, Democrats who aren't quite as engaged as we are won't give a shit about that. They'll stay upset and preparing for the worst. That's a bigger issue at hand here imo. Can Democrats/left leaning swing voters keep their head in the game and not give up too early.

I KNOW you know that they change their models towards the end because it's been posted at least five times in here and you are a regular. You just want us to affirm you. Well no sir not doing it. OBAMA DOOM
I didn't know that actually, I thought they were increasingly accurate in the month leading up to the election in 08, but I don't remember all the details sir.

I don't want to be "affirmed", I thought Ras gets more accurate in the weeks leading up to the election.

dabig2

I've long since stopped caring about national polls since like July.

It's all about the ground game in the individual states.

Diablos

fwiw I HAVE talked to some Dems about the PPP poll. And the OFA Jeremy Bird document. Their response is along the lines of "well that's great but Republicans are really excited now and we're all freaking out because he was such an idiot during the first debate" blah blah heard it all before. Fact is a lot of Dems seem to be feeling that way here.

Slime

Banned
The Romney bounce is holding steady across the board in the daily tracker polls.

This sucks, but it's true. There's been no evidence that Romney's bounce was temporary and everything's going back to normal, as many had hoped. The race seems to have genuinely tightened across the board.

kirblar

This sucks, but it's true. There's been no evidence that Romney's bounce was temporary and everything's going back to normal, as many had hoped. The race seems to have genuinely tightened across the board.
Which isn't surprising, given how Romney was having issues solidifying GOP support.

coldfoot

Banned
I wish this country let the ignorant racist social conservatives secede when they wanted to...Sick of the south mattering so much, they shouldn't.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009

Wouldn't this have happened regardless of the debate? The national polls always tighten like this. If the national polls have influence on state polling in silver's modeling, maybe we're just being annoying?

Diablos

Of course Diablos only has a 10-15min span before he is back on the ledge, and Cheebo is basically PDII
Hmm, I don't think Cheebs is a troll and PD, while he does troll often, is being pretty serious right now because we're almost halfway to the election. I'm sure as hell not a troll.

Fact is, while the PPP OH poll was a breath of fresh air for us, the national polling is still looking pretty dismal right now. It's enirely way too close for comfort, with Romney finally sustaining a lead, even if it's slight. This is not where you want to be so close to election night.

And again, outside of PoliGAF, talking to people face to face... everyone seems to be worried sick right now.

Forever

Banned
I wish this country let the ignorant racist social conservatives secede when they wanted to...Sick of the south mattering so much, they shouldn't.
There's a book about that: Better Off Without 'Em: A Northern Manifesto for Southern Secession

If it ever happened the Democratic party would probably split into a center right and leftist parties along the lines of European norms, while the Confederacy basked in some bizarre theocratic fascist Randian nightmare.

I'd happily join up with the new center right.

Tim-E

I've long since stopped caring about national polls since like July.

It's all about the ground game in the individual states.

Unfortunately you can't get that across to the people here who think that national polls mean something for some reason.

GhaleonEB

fwiw I HAVE talked to some Dems about the PPP poll. And the OFA Jeremy Bird document. Their response is along the lines of "well that's great but Republicans are really excited now and we're all freaking out because he was such an idiot during the first debate" blah blah heard it all before. Fact is a lot of Dems seem to be feeling that way here.

Tempted to make a "birds of a feather..." comment here. :p

Pretty clear Romney got a national bounce which has flatlined, even marginally receding. But that same national bounce was not enough to tip enough swing states his way. And there's a good argument to make that things were going to tighten anyways, given where Romney's boost came from.

I'm expecting things to stay largely static until the next debate. After that we'll have a pretty good feel for the trajectory of things. Right now feels like a holding pattern, with Obama a nearly 2:1 favorite. I'm okay with this.

pigeon

Banned

Probably the safe assumption here is that everybody you know is just as ridiculous as you.

Diablos

Wouldn't this have happened regardless of the debate? The national polls always tighten like this. If the national polls have influence on state polling in silver's modeling, maybe we're just being annoying?
It would have surely tightened regardless. Just finally seeing the two of them on the same stage together would have made some people give Mitt a second chance.

It's just that it didn't have to be this bad. Not nearly as bad. I'm confident Obama would be the one leading (even if slightly) right now in Gallup/Ras/etc and not Mitt.

Probably the safe assumption here is that everybody you know is just as ridiculous as you.
Not really. They're not even that liberal, just sane, and not dumb enough to buy into the GOP's crap. They are not traditional worryworts if that's what you're getting at

Slime

Banned
Which isn't surprising, given how Romney was having issues solidifying GOP support.

Yeah, the good news is that Obama has a firm base that isn't moving, just shedding a bit of soft low-info voters who were turned off by everything Romney in September. If I had to guess, part of what we're seeing now would have happened even if Obama performed well in the debate, though perhaps not as steeply. Romney was always going to win over some people before election day, Obama's performance just sped up the process a little.

Sealda

Banned
If USA is really gonna change i think Romney winning will speed that change up. With Obama, we would just keep muddle through. The backlash among the Obama supporters if he loose would speed up reforms with the political system. Im sure some bluestaters would even seriously start propose an exit from the federation.

Tim-E

If USA is really gonna change i think Romney winning will speed that change up. With Obama, we would just keep muddle through. The backlash among the Obama supporters if he loose would speed up reforms with the political system. Im sure some bluestaters would even seriously start propose an exit from the federation.

I mean this in the nicest way possible, but....

What the hell are you talking about?

Diablos

Tempted to make a "birds of a feather..." comment here. :p
Haha no. I'm talking a teacher, professional business guy who never worries about anything, stay at home mom, grandmother, banker, marketing rep... and these people are not like me in that they constantly worry. They ARE worried now though.

And all the GOPers in my office are fired up. Pre-debate they put on the "whoever wins, we lose" gameface because they thought Romney was a pussy. Now they're all proud to be Republicans again and it makes me wanna stab myself in the neck with a pencil ;)

Dude Abides

Banned

You're no SomeDude.

Congratulations on posting one of the dumbest things I've ever read

Can we have Kosmo back now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom